Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
esqfool

Re: Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

#701 Post by esqfool » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:47 pm

Figures they'd be at the game and I'm not there. I had Blues season tickets for the better part of a decade. Oh well. Pretty surreal to see them doing normal things like actual friends would do. Leaving for the show in about a half hour. Might be some fuckery about with tickets though. Ticketmaster took all the unsold upper deck seats offline yesterday. I have front row of the upper deck, so now I'm wondering if I won't get moved down to lower bowl which I don't want.

elbuitre

#702 Post by elbuitre » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:01 pm

It could be that Dave’s absence is allowing Perry and Eric to experience Jane’s as their co-creation again.

Dave’s prominence and profile was much bigger from Relapse onwards and Eric probably felt like he was returning to ‘their’ band rather than ‘his’.

Nothing against Dave but it probably works better for Jane’s if Perry has someone like Eric involved in the creative decision-making, which will only happen if he views him as an equal partner (and friend) again.

drwintercreeper

#703 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:24 pm

What time has Janes been hitting the stage?

creep
Site Admin

#704 Post by creep » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:30 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:24 pm
What time has Janes been hitting the stage?
i thought i saw somewhere around 730-8?

drwintercreeper

#705 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:34 pm

Tight. Thanks creep!

kv

#706 Post by kv » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:34 pm

Eric's a pretty big la kings fan...hockey in general

kv

#707 Post by kv » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:40 pm

elbuitre wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:01 pm
It could be that Dave’s absence is allowing Perry and Eric to experience Jane’s as their co-creation again.

Dave’s prominence and profile was much bigger from Relapse onwards and Eric probably felt like he was returning to ‘their’ band rather than ‘his’.

Nothing against Dave but it probably works better for Jane’s if Perry has someone like Eric involved in the creative decision-making, which will only happen if he views him as an equal partner (and friend) again.
ya, hard enough to break through your own old baggage and bro out....could be this made things easier with Dave out...or not..their baggage could have ended long ago for all we know...but in general it's a good point...healing could be easier...sure seems like perry grew up some...from the outside anyway... :noclue:

esqfool

#708 Post by esqfool » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:59 pm

Ok fuck this. Forced into lower bowl in the middle of the row. Fuck you.

creep
Site Admin

#709 Post by creep » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:10 pm

esqfool wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:59 pm
Ok fuck this. Forced into lower bowl in the middle of the row. Fuck you.
that's fucked up. you called it

drwintercreeper

#710 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:12 pm

Corgan’s ego strikes again

esqfool

#711 Post by esqfool » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:18 pm

Ironically, I'm 3 seats from my old Blues season tickets. The seats are redone and actually comfortable. I'll stop bitching and start having fun.

esqfool

#712 Post by esqfool » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:48 pm

Ok this is fucking on point. That is all.

drwintercreeper

#713 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:31 pm

They were tight. No surprises in the set. Ted was thick and tasty.
I love this band.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#714 Post by Hokahey » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:58 pm

So that was probably the best Jane's show I've seen. God damn. Eric is so incredibly ridiculous.

drwintercreeper

#715 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:02 pm

Yes! I hate talking trash on anyone but fuck me its a great energy he brings these songs… Its like they live in color again after so many years of black and white. Mofo was prowling in circles.

esqfool

#716 Post by esqfool » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:32 pm

Really solid set. A few songs where Troy ain't got the horsepower at all (Stop and BCS) , but the first few songs were on point so I can't dog him too hard. And yes I'm probably overly critical about most things. Up The Beach restored to its rightful opening slot. Excited for Monday in Denver. Crazy to see this band playing with some real fire once again.

esqfool

#717 Post by esqfool » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:33 pm

And yes I'd agree with Hoka, that was probably my favorite Jane's show.

Diabolik

#718 Post by Diabolik » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:36 pm

As someone who just missed the OG 1.O days —this feels as close to that as I’ve ever personally seen

I didn’t do 97 out of a “screw it, this is a cash in and there’s no Eric” young misguided attitude

Didn’t see and 2001 shows but finally saw them in 03 and have seen then almost Every-time they played NY since then

09 was great for me personally but there was a lack of “something”

More Chaney stuff and it was always … serviceable ? But my eyes were tinted by collecting all the 90s bootleg cds. I always differed despite know it was a copy of a copy of the thing I loved

Last time I saw them was a co-head lining this with Alice In Chains ( it was bad )

But the MSG show and all these videos

Feels genuinely special and … part of me is starting to think the lack of Dave is a bit of a factor. I want to see this Perry and Eric with Dave desperately — but man this feels like the real deal

Hokahey
Site Admin

#719 Post by Hokahey » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:36 pm

esqfool wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:32 pm
Really solid set. A few songs where Troy ain't got the horsepower at all (Stop and BCS) , but the first few songs were on point so I can't dog him too hard. And yes I'm probably overly critical about most things. Up The Beach restored to its rightful opening slot. Excited for Monday in Denver. Crazy to see this band playing with some real fire once again.
Up the Beach with Eric's bass was some bucket list level shit.

thoreau

#720 Post by thoreau » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:01 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:36 pm
esqfool wrote:
Right!?

Glad you guys all had a good showing.

How crazy is it that almost all of us are walking away from the sets on this tour feeling the same way? It really leaves you feeling like something is in the air.

Noonesshocking

#721 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:03 pm

Hokahey wrote:
esqfool wrote:
Did you not get to see NINJA?

Also I'm fucking more bummed now that Philly got nixed. I was so close.

thoreau

#722 Post by thoreau » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:03 pm

esqfool wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:33 pm
I felt the same with the Tampa show, and it's wild to me feeling that way with Dave not being there too.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#723 Post by Hokahey » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:30 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:03 pm
Hokahey wrote:
esqfool wrote:
Did you not get to see NINJA?

Also I'm fucking more bummed now that Philly got nixed. I was so close.
I did. And weirdly, it was perhaps my least favorite Jane's show. That felt like Eric was just...there. Accompanying a very shitty version of the band.

This felt like Eric was a part of it. Or not just part of it, but really driving it all forward WITH the band. And that they were tapping in to some of that old magic. I just hope if/when Dave does re-join that he's just as committed to recapturing the spirit as the rest of them. Because Troy isn't perfect, and he fucked up a few times, but you can see the guy that played with QOTA and APC, two bands that were also able to capture a similar dark magic at times.

I'm just glad that nearing 30 years as a Jane's fan I got see a performance of Up the Beach tonight that I'll never forget and will forever be special. I'd have never guessed that's what I would be up to in 2022. And that I would still be getting something out of this band that was special. Really, really fun night.

Really sorry your show got canceled. Hopefully this is just an appetizer to something even greater.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#724 Post by Hokahey » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:32 pm

esqfool wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:33 pm
Always nice to see you at another Jane's show. 21 years after the first one!

esqfool

#725 Post by esqfool » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:42 pm

I didn't even have to break someone's ankles at this show either :lol: . When the tribal drumming started, my buddy said oh they're coming on? I said no, there'll be like 10 minutes of this and it will just get louder and louder (he didn't believe me and it was exactly that), then Up The Beach started and I was rocking the fuck out in my seat, haha. Pumpkins were fine but kind of sterile. Not nearly as loud as Jane's either. I dropped a stupid amount on merchandise, but oh well. If Dave was on this tour,, there's zero doubt in my mind they would show up Pumpkins each and every night. This really gives me hope for a headlining tour with Dave and a new album. Now to just hold everything together until then.