Jane's and 38 Special

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Jane's and 38 Special

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:25 pm

cricket_bows wrote:
(What are people's takes on this? Was hooking up with Etty the crux of ALL of this, or did the numbers [money] offered just get so big that he couldn't say 'no' even if they had never found each other? With the revenue from the songs, touring, and the inflow from Lollapalooza, I find it hard to believe his caviar tastes got out of control and he needs the cash. For a cat that preached it from on high, he sure lost his internal compass. Incredibly disappointing, and embarrassing.)
I think Dave is probably making a quarter million per season of Ink Master and probably doesn't even need Jane's Addiction at this point.

I think Chaney makes decent enough money doing session work and probably doesn't need the gig.

Stephen DEFINITELY needs the money because he never does anything other than those celebrity jam sessions at Guitar Center.

And Perry... I think Etty is probably spending faster than he can make it. Plus he spent all his Jane's 1.0 money on buying slaves. With a hoarse voice and no chance anyone else will ever want to work with him on a new band at his age, I think he signs on for these shitty corporate gigs whenever Dave has a free month or 2 off of Ink Master to get him through the year till his Lollapalooza paychecks gets deposited into the joint checking account that Etty then empties within 6 days. Then she gets stressed from all the shopping and needs a vacation. 3 months later, begin the process again.

SR

#27 Post by SR » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:23 am

All of the press I've seen intimates that .38 Special is the headliner, or at least mentioned 1st and JA last. I don't think Jane's will be received very well at all. And Perry's banter will be seriously altered. I can't think of a more ill suited demographic than this for Jane's. This won't end well.

bman

#28 Post by bman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:31 am

Sadly I wish they used these gigs to warm up for writing days etc. Won't happen. They won't even meet with each other till 1 hour before the show to do two songs backstage and write out the same setlist. So Sad. Perry has lost his mind.

Matz

#29 Post by Matz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:36 am

Six7Six7 wrote:

Stephen DEFINITELY needs the money because he never does anything other than those celebrity jam sessions at Guitar Center.
weird why Stephen doesn't do more session work. He loves to play it seems and is highly regarded as a musician

bman

#30 Post by bman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:45 am

Matz wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

weird why Stephen doesn't do more session work. He loves to play it seems and is highly regarded as a musician
I think you guys are overrating session work. The Music Industry is DEAD. How much can Chris Chaney get for doing a bit of session work each year? A few thousand a day?

Romeo

#31 Post by Romeo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:15 am

bman wrote:
Matz wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I think you guys are overrating session work. The Music Industry is DEAD. How much can Chris Chaney get for doing a bit of session work each year? A few thousand a day?
http://blog.sonicbids.com/how-to-get-hi ... n-musician

Romeo

#32 Post by Romeo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:18 am

Tyler Durden wrote:Image

Do you think Perry will come out during 38 Special's encore and dedicate "Caught Up In You" to Etty?!

I hate to be beat a dead horse but remember when Jane's toured with Oscar winning composer Trent Reznor and they were on the cusp of recording an album with him and Eric Avery? Now they're playing a fucking beer/Indy 500 thing with 38 Special. What's next? The county fair with Foghat?
:no:

This has now hit embarrassing

Larry B.

#33 Post by Larry B. » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 am

Matz wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I think we might be overrating him a bit. He's far from being a poor drummer, but creatively he's very limited. He ran absolutely out of ideas after Good God's Urge. Everything he played after that is either simple standard drumming and/or extremely similar to Had a Dad.

Artemis

#34 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 am

I was just looking at the 38 Special website and they have gigs booked into October! I didn't realize they were that popular. :yikes:

I think the crowd will be okay with JA. They'll like Etty in her hotpants or lingerie ensembles she wears.

SR

#35 Post by SR » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:31 am

You have more faith in Murcia than I. They'll see her as a charlie hooker.

Artemis

#36 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:42 am

I may be wrong, but I think Indy car races are not so redneck anymore. The crowds seem pretty diverse to me.
When Toronto had the Molson Indy(now Honda Indy) I went a couple of times. It was fun. I liked the pit area the best. I should say, I didn't actually pay for the tickets;they were freebies we got through work.

creep
Site Admin

#37 Post by creep » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 am

Artemis wrote:I may be wrong, but I think Indy car races are not so redneck anymore. The crowds seem pretty diverse to me.
When Toronto had the Molson Indy(now Honda Indy) I went a couple of times. It was fun. I liked the pit area the best. I should say, I didn't actually pay for the tickets;they were freebies we got through work.
indy crowds are much different than nascar. $40 isn't bad and i'm sure they will get a local crowd and not just race fans. perry will embarrass himself i'm sure though. either with his outfit or by what he says. dave will probably hate everything about this show.

mockbee

#38 Post by mockbee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:47 am

SR wrote:You have more faith in Murcia than I. They'll see her as a charlie hooker.

So you think the people going to " Indy Coors Carb Get Plastered before 9am Day" actually know who Janes is, or care to find out?

You are giving them more credit than I would. :noclue:
(I have absolutely no clue about cars and racing so I could be off base here)

I think Perry will dress and behave the part. He wants to be well received. It'll rawk and there will be plenty of high octane/let's get drunk references. It's not like he is going to start spouting how we need to save the oceans and fuck bush!

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:49 am

creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:I may be wrong, but I think Indy car races are not so redneck anymore. The crowds seem pretty diverse to me.
indy crowds are much different than nascar. $40 isn't bad and i'm sure they will get a local crowd and not just race fans. perry will embarrass himself i'm sure though. either with his outfit or by what he says. dave will probably hate everything about this show.
Let's take bets: Does Perry wear a cape, or a tail?

SR

#40 Post by SR » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:51 am

Yes and no. I think they'll be drunk by nine and see janes like prince at the stones concert. It could start with Ted
Last edited by SR on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SR

#41 Post by SR » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:52 am

Etty tweets will be great too

Artemis

#42 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:39 pm

I think Perry will theme his outfit accordingly. I think he will wear a mechanics jumpsuit, made of leather or silver lamé. Or, a driver outfit with Coors logo all over.

Romeo

#43 Post by Romeo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Oh noooo....
My nephew went down to the races in Dover DE. It was still VERY redneck.

crater

#44 Post by crater » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Artemis wrote:I think Perry will theme his outfit accordingly. I think he will wear a mechanics jumpsuit, made of leather or silver lamé. Or, a driver outfit with Coors logo all over.

Perry is way ahead of you :lolol:

Artemis

#45 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:45 pm

:lolol: You're right,Crater! I totally forgot about this outfit.

clickie

#46 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:57 pm

The last time i saw Perry in person was walking back to my car after a lakers game. I told him its nice meeting boy george and asked for an autograph .

cricket_bows

#47 Post by cricket_bows » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Heavy stuff from everyone on here; it's why I enjoy this board so much. Mockbee- I really resonate with what you said; I now often wonder how much I (and us) projected how great Perry really was. I'm starting to think it was lightning in a bottle and the drugs. SR, I would love to hear what those people would say, and I'd throw Rollins in there as well; his liner notes for Kettle articulated how much this band meant to me far better than I ever could have. Hank don't mince words; it'd be interesting to hear what he really thinks. Oy.

Tyler Durden

#48 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm

cricket_bows wrote:Heavy stuff from everyone on here; it's why I enjoy this board so much. Mockbee- I really resonate with what you said; I now often wonder how much I (and us) projected how great Perry really was. I'm starting to think it was lightning in a bottle and the drugs.
I think part of it is that Perry was essentially MARKETED to us as some sort of artistic genius...

On the two Warner albums, he is credited as coproducer along with Dave Jerden? I always thought "really"? And sure, he wrote the lyrics and was in charge of the band's art direction (with Casey)...but judging Jane's on their music, I NEVER for a minute thought that Perry was the "brainchild" behind the band and the other guys just kind of fell in line with him. He wasn't Cobain or Danzig (IE: someone who wrote 95-100% of the output). You could always hear the HUGE influence of the other guys (especially Eric) in the songs and the way they were structured.

The whole "Perry is a genius" angle only got worse when he was pretty much solely credited as creating Lollapalooza (I suppose that's fair) and that he (alone) chose to disband Jane's Addiction in 1991 in order to pursue other artistic endeavours. In reality, Jane's imploded.

On top of that, Perry progressively got more and more magazine covers without a band with him...again, solidifying the idea that was this lone artistic mastermind.

I'm not saying he wasn't a talented guy at one time (and a brilliant self marketer)...but he was a talented guy who had assistance from a circle of very talented people.

We're never going to see Perry sit down in front of an audience and perform on his own with just a guitar or something. :idea:

cricket_bows

#49 Post by cricket_bows » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:09 pm

Absolute gospel, TD, and you brought up a key factor I spaced: Ms. Niccoli. Other people on here have also felt she was a large part of the creativity, and I'd be inclined to agree (I had spaced this http://lonelygirldiaries.tumblr.com out until just now; looks like it fizzled out in August of last year- too bad, as I thought it was enjoyable and had promise).

mockbee

#50 Post by mockbee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:46 pm

cricket_bows wrote:Heavy stuff from everyone on here; it's why I enjoy this board so much. Mockbee- I really resonate with what you said; I now often wonder how much I (and us) projected how great Perry really was. I'm starting to think it was lightning in a bottle and the drugs.
I wouldn't stress about it too much. The world is full of contradictions and crazy misconceptions.

Jane's (beyond Perry) was great, it served its purpose for me and you and everyone else here, and what they "really were" doesn't matter.

Even "Perry Farrell" -- BEYOND the "REAL" Perry Farrell!!!!! ---- was great. He served a purpose for me in my college age youthful confusion and exuberance. He struck a cord so deep in me and made me Yawp and convulse. That was real, who cares who he "really" was. What I felt was real.

That's all that matters. :nod: