Jane's and 38 Special

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Jane's and 38 Special

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Do you think Perry will come out during 38 Special's encore and dedicate "Caught Up In You" to Etty?!

I hate to be beat a dead horse but remember when Jane's toured with Oscar winning composer Trent Reznor and they were on the cusp of recording an album with him and Eric Avery? Now they're playing a fucking beer/Indy 500 thing with 38 Special. What's next? The county fair with Foghat?

creep
Site Admin

Re: Jane's and 38 Special

#2 Post by creep » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:25 pm

two shows now. Jane$ is officially back!!!

mockbee

#3 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:31 pm

I can never mention janes again to anyone I know.

Not that it wasn't the case before, but..... who are these people in this band?!? :hs:

At least people I interact with don't really know who they were to begin with, and definitely don't really know who they are now. :noclue:

That's fine for them to make their money, no problem with that.

just..... :no:

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:34 pm

good to see jane's reunite with their former sponsor coors light.

jane's and perry love alcohol companies. coors...dobel...skol beer. i'm sure i'm missing a few.

too bad cigarette companies can't advertise. perry would be all over that. the marlboro man would be coming down the mountain.

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:38 pm

Once a band makes it to a certain level (be it they are on a major label or a big "indie" label or sell over 50,000 albums), they are a brand. I'm totally fine with that. The problem is, Perry (and co.) don't give a shit about their brand...and in turn, will do "whatever" for money. Their decisions make no sense (from an artistic point of view) and they only hurt their image (for the fans they have left).

Creep...beer and liquor companies must pay a shit ton.

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Once a band makes it to a certain level (be it they are on a major label or a big "indie" label or sell over 50,000 albums), they are a brand. I'm totally fine with that. The problem is, Perry (and co.) don't give a shit about their brand...and in turn, will do "whatever" for money. Their decisions make no sense (from an artistic point of view) and they only hurt their image (for the fans they have left).

Creep...beer and liquor companies must pay a shit ton.
most would not have an issue going after these cash grabs if they put any effort in to their live shows. there is no effort and we already know what the setlist will be.

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:43 pm

"Come see the band perform their barking doggy song LIVE!"

Monster Truck Shows not too much further down the line.

SR

#8 Post by SR » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Pandemonium wrote:"Come see the band perform their barking doggy song LIVE!"

billed as 3rd on the bill. :lolol: :jasper: :lolol: :jasper: :lolol: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper:

Tyler Durden

#9 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Seriously, if someone told me back in 1990 that my favourite band (at that time) would someday play a show with 38 Special, I'd have said they were out of their fucking mind. That would be like The Pixies playing with Ted Nugent. :lol:

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:34 pm

SR wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:"Come see the band perform their barking doggy song LIVE!"

billed as 3rd on the bill. :lolol: :jasper: :lolol: :jasper: :lolol: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper:
JA is headlining.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/in ... day-lineup

For the first time ever, three bands (instead of just one) will fill the afternoon with music.

The 2015 Carb Day performers are .38 Special, O.A.R. and Jane's Addiction.

The concert is free with Coors Light Carb Day admission ($30) and fans who wish to get closer to the stage in the concert pit can buy a $10 upgrade.

“The combination of these three bands will provide the perfect musical entertainment for everyone anxious to kickoff their Indianapolis 500 race weekend activities,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said.

Jane's Addiction will headline the concert.

blackula

#11 Post by blackula » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:40 pm

I'm debating whether or not I should travel to see this one. I think I'll skip it and wait for the co-headlining show with Molly Hatchet.

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:45 pm

did bman get his tickets yet?

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:46 pm

creep wrote: too bad cigarette companies can't advertise. perry would be all over that. the marlboro man would be coming down the mountain.

I went to buy some cartons...

And spread them across the floor...

So this will be where I smoke...

Tyler Durden

#14 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:53 pm

creep wrote:did bman get his tickets yet?
:hehe:

I wonder how many Indy 500 fans listen to "faggots" like Jane's Addiction? :hs:

cricket_bows

#15 Post by cricket_bows » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:19 pm

COOOOOMIN' DOOOOOWN THE (Coors Light) MOOOOOUUUUUNTAIN!

You know that man
you hate?
you look more like him
every day

:no:

(What are people's takes on this? Was hooking up with Etty the crux of ALL of this, or did the numbers [money] offered just get so big that he couldn't say 'no' even if they had never found each other? With the revenue from the songs, touring, and the inflow from Lollapalooza, I find it hard to believe his caviar tastes got out of control and he needs the cash. For a cat that preached it from on high, he sure lost his internal compass. Incredibly disappointing, and embarrassing.)

Noonesshocking

#16 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I hate to be beat a dead horse but remember when Jane's toured with Oscar winning composer Trent Reznor and they were on the cusp of recording an album with him and Eric Avery?
It fucking blows my mind.

There are three legitimate eras of Jane's:

Relapse
EA's return (granted, there was potential that was not realized. But it felt unpredictable. In the real Jane's Addiction way.)

mockbee

#17 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm afraid he was always in it for the fame. Listen to his rants from old. The words he spoke created a fire, he knew that.
The fame had to be stoked; and so often it just causes people to crash and burn if it isn't stoked by a gumption from down deep.
He doesn't have that anymore and I imagine he never did; in the sense that we would like to believe anyways.

I think it was all about the fame for him, from the start.

Either that, or the drugs really took a toll..... :noclue:

someguy

#18 Post by someguy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:17 pm

It's official- perk and dave don't care- I mean yeah, every band needs to make money but surely there are better ways of going about it.

Shadows of the coors light
the shadows of the evening sun
till the shadows and the coors light were one...

blackula

#19 Post by blackula » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:33 pm

someguy wrote:It's official- perk and dave don't care- I mean yeah, every band needs to make money but surely there are better ways of going about it.

Standing...in the shower....drinking

Hokahey
Site Admin

#20 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:38 pm

someguy wrote:It's official- perk and dave don't care- I mean yeah, every band needs to make money but surely there are better ways of going about it.

As I understood it, they never did. They were the one's pushing Perry to play corporate shows he didn't want to. They wanted to be Aerosmith as it was told to me. That's why Panic Channel was such radio friendly trash.

Perry began to lose his way when Etty came along. But when the band broke up in 2004 and Satellite Party flopped, he seemed even more willing to do whatever to earn a buck.

2009 was an attempt to earn more bucks by being credible again. But Eric expected too much. Perry wanted to use credible Janes to help him have shit like I Like Em Big be successful. After Eric quit you were left with3 guys who couldn't give less of a shit about legacy. They wanted to be a big rock and roll band. They wanted what Ezrin wanted. Less art, more rawk. Beer and lifestyle music.

Jubilee was the last gasp. Ninja wasn't anything special. Perry ruined it. The club shows in late 2003 were decent.

Tyler Durden

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:44 pm

I would love to see Dave and Stephen come out and jam with 38 Special on "Back To Paradise" from Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds In Paradise! :rockon:

bman

#22 Post by bman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:52 pm

creep wrote:did bman get his tickets yet?

LOL! WTF! I truly do not understand this one. How much money can they possibly be getting for this show? Aren't there plenty of other slighter cooler festivals that they can play? I just feel bad b/c this may truly be an empty show for them. This is announced on the same night that I get Revis back on My Jets! Come ON Man! I guess everything evens out.

SR

#23 Post by SR » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Id like to hear comments from

Flea
Mike Patton
Bush
Maynard
Billy c
Trent
Morello
Cantrell
Vedder

And more, in private. :lol: :banghead: :lol:

Noonesshocking

#24 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:25 pm

I was reading an interview with FNM the other day. They were talking about how they were able to make a new record because they genuinely admire what each person brings to the table creatively. Jane's does not, and never really had this. This is why the band never moved forward artistically in a satisfying way. There is not an ounce of mutual respect and they just do NOT inspire each other.

Think about it: did you ever hear Dave, Perk, or Perry talk about how excited they were to have Eric back in the band in 09 beyond a vague "Eric brings a thunderous bottom end!"? Do you ever hear Perry say anything about Dave or Perk beyond generic compliments about how competently they play their instruments? They are passively dismissive about what each person contributes. It's an arbitrary relationship propped up by a brand.

This is a large reason why we have arrived at where we are today.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:17 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:I was reading an interview with FNM the other day. They were talking about how they were able to make a new record because they genuinely admire what each person brings to the table creatively. Jane's does not, and never really had this. This is why the band never moved forward artistically in a satisfying way. There is not an ounce of mutual respect and they just do NOT inspire each other.

Think about it: did you ever hear Dave, Perk, or Perry talk about how excited they were to have Eric back in the band in 09 beyond a vague "Eric brings a thunderous bottom end!"? Do you ever hear Perry say anything about Dave or Perk beyond generic compliments about how competently they play their instruments? They are passively dismissive about what each person contributes. It's an arbitrary relationship propped up by a brand.

This is a large reason why we have arrived at where we are today.
Dave regularly has stated that he thinks Perry is an amazing frontman. And not in interviews, but on DM where no one is listening.