True Detective

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Jasper

Re: True Detective

#151 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:19 am

I've got mixed feelings about Elizabeth Moss. She's always kind of irritated me, but she's also a key actor on one of my favorite shows of all time. I more or less accept her on Mad Men and enjoy her acting, but she is still somewhat off-putting a lot of the time, though I think that's fine within the context of that show. You don't need to love her. Sometimes Peggy Olsen is an objectively horrible person, and a lot of the time she's just really awkward and strange.

Pizzolatto could probably rip off some more literature and make an interesting character for her. She'll have time, since they just finished filming the final half season of Mad Men.

perkana

#152 Post by perkana » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:08 am

I think my disliking her being cast is because I don't like Peggy either. Plus, Moss is a scientologist. I know, I know other actors are.

Jasper

#153 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:18 pm

I know she's a Scientologist, but if she ends up on the show and does well, it won't significantly impede my enjoyment. Am I going to stop thinking Matthew Weiner (Mad Men) is the best current TV writer because he's Jewish? Am I going to stop thinking Matthew McConaughey gave the greatest tour de force TV performance in years because he's Christian?

Granted, she's nowhere near as awesome as those two Matthews, but almost everyone is in one type of cult or another. Most of the people who believe themselves to be agnostic/atheistic and/or scientific in their approach to the world believe some of the stupidest, most illogical anti-science bullshit out there.

At least Scientology's brand of bullshit is very easy to spot (for most) and thus easy to avoid. You can't always say the same thing for a lot of the other strains of bullshit out there, many of which are far more virulent.

creep
Site Admin

#154 Post by creep » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Jasper wrote:virulent.
that's the word of the day. i've never heard it before.

i'm going to use that this weekend.

i read a a story today about how the writer plagiarized some stuff. it seemed pretty silly. you can probably find stuff in any show or book that has been said before.

perkana

#155 Post by perkana » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Also she was married to Fred Armisen. Sorry, Jewish people or Christians have nothing on them compared to Scientologists (true, nice Christians). I can't forget Travolta's son death.

perkana

#156 Post by perkana » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Jasper wrote:Most of the people who believe themselves to be agnostic/atheistic and/or scientific in their approach to the world believe some of the stupidest, most illogical anti-science bullshit out there.
I don't think they would be scientific, in my experience, they are just ignorant people who believe in all the nonsense they hear from other ignorants :noclue:

perkana

#157 Post by perkana » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Btw, I hadn't really understood what Scientology was about until I heard an interview with Giovanni Ribisi. I liked him, he's not as weird as say Tom Cruise or Travolta. Much respect to him.

Jasper

#158 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:53 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:virulent.
that's the word of the day. i've never heard it before.

i'm going to use that this weekend.

i read a a story today about how the writer plagiarized some stuff. it seemed pretty silly. you can probably find stuff in any show or book that has been said before.
Of course you've heard virulent before. You just weren't paying attention. :nod:

I read those accusations of plagiarism. I don't see it as plagiarism, but I do see it as heavy borrowing. Based on the samples, I think Pizzolatto definitely got most of those concepts from Ligotti's book (I've never read any of his work). The fact that he evaded a question about the author's influence on the show, then later said that he was signaling to the author's readers, makes it pretty clear where the inspiration came from, imo.

Thing is, writers, directors, painters, etc. copy each other all the fucking time. There's some famous Picasso quote where he said, or is alleged to have said, "Good artists borrow, great artists steal". Picasso and Matisse copied each other back and forth for a long time (there was a good documentary about it). Led Zeppelin ripped off old blues guys far more than Pizzolatto ripped of this Ligotti dude, as far as I can tell. It's one of those things with creative arts that probably surprises (and looks worse to) people on the outside than it should. It's kind of like seeing how the sausage is made. In reality, nobody hops into existence and invents the wheel out of the blue. It's true that some people are more bold and shameless with their thievery than others, but what matters most is if the end product is a least somewhat fresh and is worthwhile for the readers/listeners/viewers/diners. Maybe I should add smellers. I'm sure that people in the perfume world accuse each other of ripping off scents all the time. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#159 Post by creep » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:03 pm

so colin farrell has been confirmed. i like it...all i ask is that he tones down the accent so i can understand him. :thumb:

Artemis

#160 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Good choice! I like Colin Farrell.

wally

#161 Post by wally » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 pm

ugh. vince vaughn? :eyes:

crater

#162 Post by crater » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:11 pm

It was fun while it lasted.

I hate Vince Vaughn. I will not be watching.

Hype

#163 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:17 pm

crater wrote:It was fun while it lasted.

I had a similar thought until my brain reminded me that I also hate(d) Matthew Mcconaughey... :neutral:

kv

#164 Post by kv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:41 pm

yep thats what i was gonna say...if this last years show was the new season people would be all woody and mathew? fuck that no thanks...give it a chance people

crater

#165 Post by crater » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I had a similar thought until my brain reminded me that I also hate(d) Matthew Mcconaughey... :neutral:
It's a thing with me.

I will not be able to separate Vince Vaughn the person, who I hate everything about, from Vince Vaughn the actor, who's work I have never liked.

I just can't do it and I'm not even going to bother trying :no:

creep
Site Admin

#166 Post by creep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 pm

crater wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

It's a thing with me.

I will not be able to separate Vince Vaughn the person, who I hate everything about, from Vince Vaughn the actor, who's work I have never liked.

:lol:

who is a vince vaughn fan? i don't think they exist. of course i will be watching. if it was the rock and pauly shore i would still give it a chance. :noclue:

Jasper

#167 Post by Jasper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 pm

creep wrote:
crater wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

It's a thing with me.

who is a vince vaughn fan? i don't think they exist. of course i will be watching. if it was the rock and pauly shore i would still give it a chance. :noclue:
:lol: Yeah, c'mon, give it a chance. I can't stand the guy either, but it's an ensemble cast. We don't even know how big of a part he's playing, or whether or not he's supposed to be an creepy, irritating asshole (which he could play quite handily). Maybe the character is meant to be annoying.

nausearockpig

#168 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:47 pm

creep wrote:
crater wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

It's a thing with me.

The Rock is fucken awesome...

perkana

#169 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:56 pm

I love Vince Vaughn! :banana:

nausearockpig

#170 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:01 pm

perkana wrote:I love Vince Vaughn! :banana:
Only cos you wanna pants him....

perkana

#171 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:04 pm

Funny, but no...I've liked all of his movies but The Ex (hate Jennifer Anniston). I love all his flix with Owen Wilson. He was adorable in "The Internship".

creep
Site Admin

#172 Post by creep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:12 pm

perkana wrote: He was adorable in "The Internship".
our engagement is over. i thought that was one of the worst movies ever.

the only movie i liked of his was wedding crashers. old school is somewhat ok too.

nausearockpig

#173 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:19 pm

creep wrote:

the only movie i liked of his was wedding crashers. old school is somewhat ok too.
You're so gonna make up during the new season of TD... keep the squelchy noises down to during the ads please.. you wouldn't wanna miss any important bits cos of your grossness..

perkana

#174 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 pm

creep wrote:

Awww come on! I get to have a bad movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either
I think I've watched it like three or four times...

perkana

#175 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:22 pm

How about 'Swingers'? it was like his breakthrough...I still don't think he's that bad.