off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Hype

Re: First World Problem of the Day

#26 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:48 am

Nah, it's cheap. You can get it for around $5 here. :noclue:

SR

#27 Post by SR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:53 am

Really, the issue is how these products were and continue to be tested. I know singular boycotts have no impact but the tests some of these companies use are nothing short of appalling.

Hype

#28 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 am

SR wrote:Really, the issue is how these products were and continue to be tested. I know singular boycotts have no impact but the tests some of these companies use are nothing short of appalling.
This is a good point. I should just add: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4815776.stm
Last Updated: Friday, 17 March 2006, 16:22 GMT

Body Shop agrees L'Oreal takeover

Body Shop store in London
Buying an ethical business
High Street beauty products retailer Body Shop has agreed to be taken over by French cosmetics giant L'Oreal in a deal worth £652m.
The offer of 300p a share from the French firm is a hefty premium on its closing price of 268p.

French L'Oreal makes a wide range of cosmetics, including Ambre Solaire sun cream and Lancome lipsticks.

Body Shop - with its ethically-sourced products - was one of the icons of the High Street in the 1980s.

Its fortunes have been hit in recent years as rivals started making similar products, but the retailer fought back and now has more than 2,000 stores in 53 countries.

However, in January its shares tumbled nearly 20% after the retailer warned that lower-than-expected Christmas sales in the UK and US would hit profits.

For both Gordon and I, this is without doubt the best 30th anniversary gift The Body Shop could have received

"We have always had great respect for The Body Shop's success and for the strong identity and values created by its outstanding founder, Dame Anita Roddick," said L'Oreal's chairman Sir Lindsay Owen-Jones.
:confused: So like... is Body Shop UNETHICAL now? Or is Loreal more ethical? Or what?

... I think I'm okay with some level of animal testing of products, so long as the treatment of the animals is (as bad or) better than the animals we eat.

Hype

#29 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:40 am

http://www.peta.org/about/faq/LOrEal-us ... pened.aspx
L’OrEal used to be included on the cruelty-free list. Now I see that it is included on the “do test” list. What happened?

PETA actively campaigned against L’Oréal for some time because of its use of animals in product testing. Eventually, L’Oréal signed PETA’s Statement of Assurance, declaring an end to all animal testing in 1993.

Later, rumors led us to question whether L’Oréal had truly renounced animal testing of its ingredients. L’Oréal refused to clarify this issue for us, so we put a notation on our published list of companies that do not test on animals. Until the fall of 2000, no documentation had come to light that indicated that L’Oréal was conducting animal tests, so the company remained on our "don’t test" list (with a notation so that readers could make informed decisions).

In November, 2000, PETA was provided with evidence that L’Oréal had requested animal test data on at least one ingredient from a supplier. That same month, we were provided with statements from L’Oréal that confirmed only that it does not test its finished products on animals. These statements included no mention of ingredient testing.

It also came to our attention that Naturewatch, an animal rights group in England, had started a L’Oréal campaign because of its possible testing of ingredients on animals. We faxed the company on two occasions regarding these documents and received no response.

So, while we have no definitive evidence that L’Oréal is testing its ingredients on animals, its silence—coupled with the information that we do have—leads us to believe that L’Oréal is probably not cruelty-free.

We have, therefore, moved L’Oréal from our "don’t test" list to our "do test" list.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Btw, in case I'm accused of thread-jacking... trying to figure out how to buy ethical toiletries is clearly a "first world problem".

chaos

#30 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:46 am

If anyone is looking for shampoo or conditioner with low/no sulfites that isn't animal tested, try Infusium 23.

I switch back and for between the white bottle (no sulfates) and the grey & blue bottle (moisture). I prefer the grey bottle.

Hype

#31 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:58 am

You can't escape it.
Idelle Labs (Ammens, Brut, Epil Stop, Final Net, Infusium 23, Helen of Troy, Pert, Sea Breeze, Skin Milk, Vitalis, Vitapointe) [*Has a No Testing Policy on Products and Ingridients, but acquired tested brands.]
:waits:

chaos

#32 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:34 pm

"Not tested on animals" is printed on the back of their bottles. :conf: :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#33 Post by creep » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:50 pm

i go for the 99 cent suave shampoo. i guess if i was a female and had a lot of hair instead of a balding old guy with short hair i might care more about what i wash my hair with.

creep
Site Admin

#34 Post by creep » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:You can't escape it.
Idelle Labs (Ammens, Brut, Epil Stop, Final Net, Infusium 23, Helen of Troy, Pert, Sea Breeze, Skin Milk, Vitalis, Vitapointe) [*Has a No Testing Policy on Products and Ingridients, but acquired tested brands.]
:waits:
i bet animals enjoy a nice shampoo.

Romeo

#35 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 pm

dogs do...

Cats not so much

Hokahey
Site Admin

#36 Post by Hokahey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:06 pm

This is more of a confession than anything else, but somewhat related.

About 10 years ago I bough hair gel that I realized had an odd smell after I got it home. Eventually, I realized it reminded me of the smell of the primate house at the St. Louis Zoo. Sort of a mix of ape, straw, and poo.

Welp, I find myself oddly liking it. Or maybe not so odd as it's my favorite part of the zoo. :lol:

I used it all up, but at least I can say I never bought it again.

I havent thought about that in years, and I have no idea what the hell was/is wrong with me that I still used it.

Hype

#37 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 pm

chaos wrote:"Not tested on animals" is printed on the back of their bottles. :conf: :noclue:
Yeah but the company that owns that company owns other companies that do test on animals. So you're not really avoiding giving money to people who may be harming animals.

Of course, I'm not entirely certain that we have an obligation to avoid doing that. I tend to think we should just support legislating the harm away.

Artemis

#38 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:57 pm

This is the kind I got:
I'll try it a couple more times before I get rid of it. :noclue:

Aqua, decyl glucoside, glycerin, sodium cocoyl hydrolyzed soy protein, oryza sativa (rice) syrup*, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, xanthan gum, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter)*, citric acid, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, citrus bergamia (bergamot) oil, cananga odorata (ylang ylang) oil, rosa rubiginosa (rosa mosqueta) seed oil*, hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) oil, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, daucus carota sativa (carrot) rootextract, tussilago farfara ...
After reading the shampoo ingredient list, I thought it would smell good. :noclue:

Jasper

#39 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:59 pm

So. Fucking. Sick. :jasper:

Incapacitated for a good 30 hours so far.

nausearockpig

#40 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Jasper wrote:So. Fucking. Sick. :jasper:

I was sidelined on the couch for three days with a severe man-cold.. god it was awful. i wished i was dead... lol

kv

#41 Post by kv » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:29 pm

lame be better dude drink those liquids

Artemis

#42 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:10 pm

On the bright side, you can wear your PJs all day and watch talk shows. :pat:

nausearockpig

#43 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:51 pm

when I log into ANR via an email on my iPhone, this crazy stuff has been popping up at the bottom of the screen....

Here's a close up

Hype

#44 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:29 pm

I get paid to mark papers. I hate it and have a hard time getting through the stack every time. Yet it's probably one of the best jobs a person could have. Boss isn't really a boss, I'm unionized, my pay is guaranteed no matter how many hours I actually work, no supervision, I can be drunk/incapacitated/distracted while working at my own pace at whatever hours I want.

And yet every time an assignment comes in I want to rip my hair out... :lol:

Larry B.

#45 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:40 pm

:lol:

A friend of mine (Anthropologist, PhD, professor in the most prestigious university in Chile) recently told me how he was fucking tired of his job, but he sort of felt bad because it's the best job anyone could have. Most of his classes are already prepared, so he spends most of his time just trying to write stuff but gets distracted by the internet. Same thing, his wage is guaranteed regardless of hours and everything... he told me "I wish I'd get paid just to read."

Hype

#46 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm

The worst part about being any kind of teacher is the infinite ways in which the kids let you down in mind-numbingly stupid pseudo-clever tricky ways, and the way the administration of educational institutions sets things up to force educators to simultaneously try to help the institution appear as if it takes academic dishonesty, talent, ability, learning, etc., seriously, when all that really matters is recruitment, retainment, and getting people to pay as much money as possible. It's a really fucked up kind of stress. It obviously has analogues in other occupations, but it's so fucked up for it to occur in education... and that no one seems capable of doing anything about it.

creep
Site Admin

#47 Post by creep » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:The worst part about being any kind of teacher is the infinite ways in which the kids let you down in mind-numbingly stupid pseudo-clever tricky ways, and the way the administration of educational institutions sets things up to force educators to simultaneously try to help the institution appear as if it takes academic dishonesty, talent, ability, learning, etc., seriously, when all that really matters is recruitment, retainment, and getting people to pay as much money as possible. It's a really fucked up kind of stress. It obviously has analogues in other occupations, but it's so fucked up for it to occur in education... and that no one seems capable of doing anything about it.
but the opportunity to sleep with coeds far outweigh the negatives.

i always wondered if a professor could be fired for that because it happens all of the time in movies. even ross on friends was sleeping with a student i think. it seems to ba accepted. :noclue:

nausearockpig

#48 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:41 pm

"I can't update my Facebook cos my iPhone isn't connecting to the 4G network...."

nausearockpig

#49 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 pm

creep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:The worst part about being any kind of teacher is the infinite ways in which the kids let you down in mind-numbingly stupid pseudo-clever tricky ways, and the way the administration of educational institutions sets things up to force educators to simultaneously try to help the institution appear as if it takes academic dishonesty, talent, ability, learning, etc., seriously, when all that really matters is recruitment, retainment, and getting people to pay as much money as possible. It's a really fucked up kind of stress. It obviously has analogues in other occupations, but it's so fucked up for it to occur in education... and that no one seems capable of doing anything about it.
but the opportunity to sleep with coeds far outweigh the negatives.

i always wondered if a professor could be fired for that because it happens all of the time in movies. even ross on friends was sleeping with a student i think. it seems to ba accepted. :noclue:
how many marijuana cigarettes have you been smoking? You're talking crack again...

creep
Site Admin

#50 Post by creep » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:47 pm

nausearockpig wrote:"I can't update my Facebook cos my iPhone isn't connecting to the 4G network...."
i updated my facebook status once in my life. it was in 2010.