The Replacements

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
NYRexall

The Replacements

#1 Post by NYRexall » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:51 pm

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/ ... lacements/

Played their first show in 22 years in Toronto the other night.

Kind of. Only two original members present. But Westerberg and Stinson were pretty much the foundation of the band anyway.

Sadly, they didn't play "Unsatisfied", "I'll Be You, "Here Comes a Regular" or "Sixteen Blue". Maybe at the next two shows.

They made some of the most unsung indie records of the 80's.

Tyler Durden

Re: The Replacements

#2 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm a HUGE fan. I was going to go but I hate festival shows...especially for seeing reunited bands. Hopefully they do a tour of their own.

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Another band for Josh Freese to be in. :lol:

Tyler Durden

#4 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Freese has worked on and off with Westerberg since 1992.

Here's a clip of Westerberg on SNL (with Freese on drums) from 1993...performing "Knockin' On Mine" and "Can't Hardly Wait".

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xenq68 ... -and_music

NYRexall

#5 Post by NYRexall » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:30 am

Have you ever seen that drunken self-sabotaging performance they did on SNL back in the mid-80's?

My favorite albums they did were Let It Be (of course) and Don't Tell a Soul.

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:15 am

NYRexall wrote:Have you ever seen that drunken self-sabotaging performance they did on SNL back in the mid-80's?

Yes, I've seen it many times. Classic. I used to have a videotape of all of there old TV appearances and bootlegged concerts.

Funny that you really like Don't Tell A Soul. That album gets a lot of hate. I like it but I can see why some (or a lot of?) people don't. The production is slick and it is very morose. That being said, there's a ton of great material on it. I especially like "Darlin' One", "I'll Be You", and "They're Blind".

As for Replacements albums, I have to go with Let Be, Tim, and Pleased To Meet Me.

NYRexall

#7 Post by NYRexall » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
NYRexall wrote:Have you ever seen that drunken self-sabotaging performance they did on SNL back in the mid-80's?

Yes, I've seen it many times. Classic. I used to have a videotape of all of there old TV appearances and bootlegged concerts.

Funny that you really like Don't Tell A Soul. That album gets a lot of hate. I like it but I can see why some (or a lot of?) people don't. The production is slick and it is very morose. That being said, there's a ton of great material on it. I especially like "Darlin' One", "I'll Be You", and "They're Blind".

As for Replacements albums, I have to go with Let Be, Tim, and Pleased To Meet Me.
Even that funk song on Don't Tell a Soul is pretty great, I think. That's the album that introduced me to them, so its always been the one I've listened to the most. But it's obvious once you listen to their other records that they were trying way too hard to hit the mainstream by that point.

Tim is probably my favorite of the holy trinity you mentioned. The four albums they made from Let It Be to Don't Tell a Soul were pretty flawless, in my opinion.

kv

#8 Post by kv » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:37 am

i haven't listened to the replacements in years

his thread made me think of the strangers another post punk band in the same era

it's strange how phases of listening to music works, a whole bunch of bands from that era i never listen to anymore

anyway...the stranglers i listened to because of this thread sounds gooood

:bored: :kv:

clickie

#9 Post by clickie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:29 pm

No shit, I didnt even notice this thread before. I was a fan of the replacements, husker du, sugar, bob mould and everything else.

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:29 am

This Spring is definitely making up for a lean 2014 for number of worthy shows. Here's dates for The Replacements NA tour including a LA Hollywood Palladium Show in April that should be pretty crazy:

http://pitchfork.com/news/58403-the-rep ... e-us-tour/

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:38 am

Well, that didn't last long. Apparently Westerberg said onstage at a festival in Barcelona that The Replacements played their last show yesterday.