Morrissey cancels, citing 'animal serial killers'

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
chaos

Morrissey cancels, citing 'animal serial killers'

#1 Post by chaos » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:06 pm

I did not know anything about Duck Dynasty, until now.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/ ... l-killers/

February 26, 2013, 11:10 am
Morrissey Cancels TV Performance, Citing ‘Animal Serial Killers’
By JAMES C. MCKINLEY JR.

Morrissey has canceled an appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on Tuesday because he considers the other guests, stars of the reality series “Duck Dynasty,” to be “animal serial killers.” Morrissey, the singer and former leader of the Smiths, is a well-known animal-rights activist and vegetarian. His views on killing ducks for sport are pretty far from the bushy-bearded duck-hunting gang on “Duck Dynasty,” who manufacture calls and other gear for hunters.

Morrissey — his full name is Steven Patrick Morrissey but like many pop stars he goes by a mononym — said in a statement posted on the fan site True to You that he would play the show if the cast of “Duck Dynasty” were removed.

“As far as my reputation is concerned, I can’t take the risk of being on a show alongside people who, in effect, amount to animal serial killers,” Morrissey said. “If Jimmy cannot dump ‘Duck Dynasty,’ then we must step away.”

Billboard reported that Mr. Kimmel has replaced Morrissey with the Denver band Churchill, who apparently are not squeamish about the taste of duck.

The performance was to have been Morrissey’s first since last month, when he canceled several concerts after being diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer. He is now scheduled to resume touring on Wednesday in San Diego before returning to Los Angeles for a show at the Staples Center.

Morrissey asked the Staples Center to serve only vegetarian dishes at its food stands and restaurants during his show, but the arena declined, saying they would instead add some vegetarian options to the menus of its restaurants. No word on whether duck will be served.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Morrissey cancels, citing 'animal serial killers'

#2 Post by creep » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 pm

i wish he would just go away. he is such a whiney little bitch.

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Is Iggy and The Stooges still opening? I had no idea until this week they had a new album coming out soon.

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Morrissey really gets on my nerves. I don't have a problem with him being an animal activist, and I get that he is doing the walk and not just the talk, but some of his requests are unreasonable.

I'm sending him a package of prok chops in the mail. :lol:

LJF

#5 Post by LJF » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:01 am

I went to see him in the early 90s, strange since I don't really like him, and he walked off stage 3 songs into the show and never returned. This made me like him even less. He said it was because security was being to strong. He just seems like such a little diva.

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Morrissey responded Wednesday afternoon: “I was disappointed with last night’s Jimmy Kimmel show wherein our smiling host managed to ridicule depression (70% of Americans suffer from depression according to the National Institute of Mental Health),” he said in a statement.

“He then found time to ridicule healthy eating (the obesity epidemic in the U.S. costs $147 billion per year in medical expenditure), and he also ridiculed the notion that animals should be entitled to the possession of their own lives,” Morrissey continued, developing his Kimmel’s-a-nincompoop leitmotif.

“Furthermore, he found time to jokingly promote gun-ownership - hugely amusing for the parents at Sandy Hook, no doubt. He also promoted his special guests Duck Dynasty — who kill beings for fun.

“None of the above issues are, of course, as important as Jimmy Kimmel himself, who has finally revealed his show to have an overwhelming loss of meaning. Tune in and relive the intellectual fog of the 1950s,” Morrissey concluded.

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:40 pm

jimmy kimmel is usually pretty funny. i was disappointed in that clip because it wasn't that funny. oh and fuck morrissey.

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 pm

creep wrote:jimmy kimmel is usually pretty funny. i was disappointed in that clip because it wasn't that funny. oh and fuck morrissey.
I've been mystified by Kimmel's rise to be the heir to the Letterman/Leno late night crown. Conan O'Brien was and still is vastly more entertaining and a sharper wit. I think Kimmel peaked with The Man Show over a decade ago.

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:jimmy kimmel is usually pretty funny. i was disappointed in that clip because it wasn't that funny. oh and fuck morrissey.
I've been mystified by Kimmel's rise to be the heir to the Letterman/Leno late night crown. Conan O'Brien was and still is vastly more entertaining and a sharper wit. I think Kimmel peaked with The Man Show over a decade ago.
kimmel can be hilarious at times but conan is still the best. letterman is just getting too old and has lost it a bit. leno is easily the worst.

trust me this list is correct

conan
kimmel
letterman
fergunson
fallon
leno

perkana

#10 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Then I'm a whiny little bitch because I agree with Morrissey's statement :noclue:
P.S. I'm not a big Kimmel fan and I love meat, but yeah, I've never seen that show either (Duck Dynasty) doesn't appeal to me
Talking about hideous shows, I just watched Top Gear's sequel to the show in which they made fun of Mexicans. It was funny (the short dude crossing the border). It would have been funnier seeing him getting his ass kicked. And to tell you the truth, I thought the oldest dude was the one whom I would have loved watched getting his ass kicked.

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Morrissey should just kill himself if interacting with human beings who think differently from himself is a huge problem for him.

SR

#12 Post by SR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 pm

perkana wrote:Then I'm a whiny little bitch because I agree with Morrissey's statement :noclue:
P.S. I'm not a big Kimmel fan and I love meat, but yeah, I've never seen that show either (Duck Dynasty) doesn't appeal to me
Talking about hideous shows, I just watched Top Gear's sequel to the show in which they made fun of Mexicans. It was funny (the short dude crossing the border). It would have been funnier seeing him getting his ass kicked. And to tell you the truth, I thought the oldest dude was the one whom I would have loved watched getting his ass kicked.
:lol: I can't decipher anything here. :hs:

SR

#13 Post by SR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:58 pm

I think kimmel and Conan peaked some time ago

Hokahey
Site Admin

#14 Post by Hokahey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:21 pm

I hope Morrisey walks around with a broom, constantly sweeping in front of him to avoid the killing of any small insects. When I was a vegetarian as a teen I watched a documentary on monks that do this and how anything less makes you a hypocrite as a vegan.

I drove straight to mcdonalds and ordered a cheeseburger.

I am getting back to cutting meat out of my diet as much as possible, but only for health reasons.

tvrec

#15 Post by tvrec » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 pm

I have absolutely no problem with Morrissey pulling out of Kimmel or his explanation and am frankly surprised at the reaction here against him. Morrissey's position has been clear for 25+ years, and being relatively well off now, he doesn't have to compromise to make ends meet (i.e., his is an extremely privileged position of principle). It's not like he is forcing anyone to adhere to his lifestyle choices; but being on alongside Duck Hunters or whatever the fuck it is would serve as tacit acceptance of what such a show promotes, which Kimmel is free to do, just not with Morrissey in tow. Given how well known Morrissey's position is, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he has language in his contract directed toward such arrangements with Kimmel, and even if not, Kimmel's staff would have to be fairly incompetent not to have drawn the conclusion that the booking would cause problems. Then again, that could have been the point all along.

Artemis

#16 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:36 pm

This incident has certainly generated a lot of pubblicity. Well played, Morrissey. :tiphat:

I don't know the duck reality show but I am confident that the show is way more popular in America than Morrissey is.

My beef( :hehe: ) with Morrissey is that he is so arrogant and intolerant of others' beliefs, yet he expects people to accommodate him.

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm

tvrec wrote:I Given how well known Morrissey's position is, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he has language in his contract directed toward such arrangements with Kimmel, and even if not, Kimmel's staff would have to be fairly incompetent not to have drawn the conclusion that the booking would cause problems. Then again, that could have been the point all along.
That's quite possible. It could also be the ages of the people who do the bookings. I mean, maybe they are too young to know who he is. :noclue:

tvrec

#18 Post by tvrec » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Artemis wrote: My beef( :hehe: ) with Morrissey is that he is so arrogant and intolerant of others' beliefs, yet he expects people to accommodate him.
I don't know if that's quite right. I'm no expert in Morrissey, but it's hard for me to think charging him with "intolerance" is any less of a misdirection than a charge like reverse racism. It's a bit of a false equivalence, in other words, since his principles are hardly those of a majority position. What's more, he doesn't expect people to accommodate him in any way different than other celebrities and whatnot do, it just stands out because his requested accommodations are not those were used to of conspicuous consumption (e.g., this bottle of wine, this caviar from this town, etc) but rather follow directly from his vegetarianism (e.g., I don't want meat in the dressing room, I don't want meat served at the gig).

tvrec

#19 Post by tvrec » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Artemis wrote:
tvrec wrote:I Given how well known Morrissey's position is, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he has language in his contract directed toward such arrangements with Kimmel, and even if not, Kimmel's staff would have to be fairly incompetent not to have drawn the conclusion that the booking would cause problems. Then again, that could have been the point all along.
That's quite possible. It could also be the ages of the people who do the bookings. I mean, maybe they are too young to know who he is. :noclue:
Nah, Morrissey is still a God in LA. There's a weird scene here where Depeche Mode and Oingo Boingo are still revered in ways that are hard to explain and you'd be hard pressed to find a high school without at least a handful of Latinas wearing kohl and Morrissey/Smiths shirts.

perkana

#20 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:59 pm

SR wrote:
perkana wrote:Then I'm a whiny little bitch because I agree with Morrissey's statement :noclue:
:lol: I can't decipher anything here. :hs:
My huge rant :lol: P.S. I was hungry when I wrote that

perkana

#21 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm

tvrec wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Nah, Morrissey is still a God in LA. There's a weird scene here where Depeche Mode and Oingo Boingo are still revered in ways that are hard to explain and you'd be hard pressed to find a high school without at least a handful of Latinas wearing kohl and Morrissey/Smiths shirts.
Yeah, Morrissey is big here in Mexico. I'm not a huge (crazy) fan of his, but have been influenced by people who are

chaos

#22 Post by chaos » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
kimmel can be hilarious at times but conan is still the best. letterman is just getting too old and has lost it a bit. leno is easily the worst.

trust me this list is correct

conan
kimmel
letterman
fergunson
fallon
leno
I rarely tune in to any of the people listed; the few times that I have they were mediocre at best. I think Jon Stewart beats them all. (I realize his show is in a different format.)

Matz

#23 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Letterman once owned all of them though, back in the day when he was an outlaw badass that made his own rules, I wish I'd been able to see those 90's shows with him. Now his show is pretty boring for the most part, although for a relatively old guy he's pretty funny and sharp still

Artemis

#24 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 pm

tvrec wrote:
Artemis wrote: My beef( :hehe: ) with Morrissey is that he is so arrogant and intolerant of others' beliefs, yet he expects people to accommodate him.
I don't know if that's quite right. I'm no expert in Morrissey, but it's hard for me to think charging him with "intolerance" is any less of a misdirection than a charge like reverse racism. It's a bit of a false equivalence, in other words, since his principles are hardly those of a majority position. What's more, he doesn't expect people to accommodate him in any way different than other celebrities and whatnot do, it just stands out because his requested accommodations are not those were used to of conspicuous consumption (e.g., this bottle of wine, this caviar from this town, etc) but rather follow directly from his vegetarianism (e.g., I don't want meat in the dressing room, I don't want meat served at the gig).
Of course for his dressing room, tour bus, backstage meet=greets he can request what he wants. I don't see a problem with that.
With the Kimmel thing he specifically asked the show to bump the duck dynasty, then when they said no, he said he wouldn't come on the show. I think asking venues not to sell meat products is an unreasonable request. There are other musicians who are vegan and animal activists who don't make such requests.
I read that he's boycotted Canada because of the seal hunt, but tours Spain. I guess he doesn't consider bull fighting cruelty to animals.

tvrec

#25 Post by tvrec » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Artemis wrote:
Of course for his dressing room, tour bus, backstage meet=greets he can request what he wants. I don't see a problem with that.
With the Kimmel thing he specifically asked the show to bump the duck dynasty, then when they said no, he said he wouldn't come on the show. I think asking venues not to sell meat products is an unreasonable request. There are other musicians who are vegan and animal activists who don't make such requests.
I read that he's boycotted Canada because of the seal hunt, but tours Spain. I guess he doesn't consider bull fighting cruelty to animals.
That's where we differ, I suppose. I don't know enough about Morrissey's consistency re: Spain and Canada, but I don't think it's unreasonable for him to request accommodation of his beliefs about the meat industry, especially since he doesn't really hold any leverage outside of his appearance/performance. It's not like Morrissey is bitching about the money he is losing because no one will bend to the will of his demands. He says, rather forthrightly, that these are his requests to perform and if they can't be met then it's not something he wants to do; and whatever second party (TV show, venue, etc) isn't out anything that they had by refusing. That is, they can refuse if that is their principle (we want people meat not to be interrupted, to put it bluntly), just as he can refuse not to be complicit in the process. No one is out anything. Look at all the frickin' money he could make from the Coachella offers for the Smiths-- it just seems crazy to me that people here are beating him up for choosing to take a stand for a legitimate cause rather than taking the "cash in now, baby" route.