Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I haven't seen anything for a few months. The last movie I remember seeing was True Grit.

A couple of movies I am looking forward to:

This Must Be the place w/Sean Penn and Frances McDormand ,Judd Hirsch,Harry Dean Stanton,David Byrne(as himself)

synopsis
Cheyenne is a former rock star. At 50 he still dresses "Goth" and lives in Dublin off his royalties. The death of his father, with whom he wasn't on speaking terms, brings him back to New York. He discovers his father had an obsession: to seek revenge for a humiliation he had suffered. Cheyenne decides to pick up where his father left off, and starts a journey, at his own pace, across America.

Also, We Need To Talk About Kevin w/Tilda Swinton,John C.Reilly. I read the book by Lionel Shriver.

Plot Summary: A suspenseful and psychologically gripping exploration into a parent dealing with her child doing the unthinkable, "We Need to Talk About Kevin" is told from the perspective of Eva, played by Tilda Swinton in a tour-de-force performance.

Always an ambivalent mother, Eva and Kevin have had a contentious relationship literally from Kevin's birth. Kevin (Ezra Miller), now 15-years-old, escalates the stakes when he commits a heinous act, leaving Eva to grapple with her feelings of grief and responsibility, as well as the ire of the community-at-large. "We Need to Talk About Kevin" explores nature vs. nurture on a whole new level as Eva's own culpability is measured against Kevin's innate evilness, while Ramsay's masterful storytelling leaves enough moral ambiguity to keep the debate going.

Larry B.

Re: Movies

#2 Post by Larry B. » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:10 pm

I recently saw "True Grit", it was lovely. Oh, and last month I saw "Pi", which I had avoided since high school because I just couldn't stand the hype around it. Turns out, I was right: it's just a piece of shit, which can be a pseudo-mind-opener someone for someone in the 10th grade.

Yesterday I saw Al Pacino's "Dog Day Afternoon". It was OK for a Saturday evening. And I just saw "The Social Network", pretty entertaining.

Matz

#3 Post by Matz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:03 pm

I just watched 'Serious Man' by the Coen Brothers, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. More fun to watch paint dry

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Matz wrote:I just watched 'Serious Man' by the Coen Brothers, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. More fun to watch paint dry
Coen Bros can be madly inconsistant from movie to movie. Most of their stuff is brillient, but man, they've farted out a few big time clunkers like SM as well.

T.B.

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Matz wrote:I just watched 'Serious Man' by the Coen Brothers, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. More fun to watch paint dry
Yup. I'm a Coen fan, but that movie sucked goddamn fucking balls.

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Larry B. wrote:Yesterday I saw Al Pacino's "Dog Day Afternoon". It was OK for a Saturday evening..
Dog Day Afternoon is a masterpiece of acting and film-making. Could be Pacino's greatest role. I had the fortune to see it on the big screen circa 1991.
I like this film quite a bit. It fits a certain niche and I can see how most people wouldn't enjoy it. It's not a project that you'd go into thinking that it would have broad appeal. It was very personal to them.

Larry B.

#7 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:59 am

Jasper wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Yesterday I saw Al Pacino's "Dog Day Afternoon". It was OK for a Saturday evening..
Dog Day Afternoon is a masterpiece of acting and film-making.
I wasn't too thrilled about the acting, aside from Pacino's. Also, I thought some moments were poorly developed (like when Al throws money in the air and it magically reaches the crowd, who were standing like 2 miles away.) The love the crowd feels for Al isn't thoroughly explained either... they just love him deeply because he defied the cops by yelling "Attica!"? they let a pizza delivery guy just deliver the pizzas? I know it's not supposed to be extremely realistic, but when the guy jumps and says "I'm a fucking star", it's just too much.

It's a good movie and I'd recommend it, but if it wasn't for Al Pacino masterful acting, this movie would hardly be any better than your run-of-the-mill high school movie project.

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:29 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Coen Bros can be madly inconsistant from movie to movie. Most of their stuff is brillient, but man, they've farted out a few big time clunkers like SM as well.

T.B.
yeah it's pretty amazing that they can go from No Country For Old Men which is superb to this

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:45 am

A Serious Man is a great movie. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but I thought it was actually better than No Country for Old Men (especially the beginning stuff with the dybbuk and the ending). But then, I work in Academia, and have Jewish family. :scared:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#10 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:38 am

I saw "The Town" recently. Much better than I expected. It was far from great, but for a heist movie it served it's purpose.

Great moment in the movie - if you've seen it you'll understand:
Doug MacRay: I need your help.

I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people.

James Coughlin: ...Whose car are we gonna' take?

Nothing will ever top Point Break for the best modern heist movie, IMO of course.

Matz

#11 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:53 am

hokahey wrote:I saw "The Town" recently. Much better than I expected. It was far from great, but for a heist movie it served it's purpose.

Great moment in the movie - if you've seen it you'll understand:
Doug MacRay: I need your help.

I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people.

James Coughlin: ...Whose car are we gonna' take?

Nothing will ever top Point Break for the best modern heist movie, IMO of course.
I think Heat is a far better modern heist movie than Point Break, BUT Point Break is an amazing movie, definitely one of my favorites that I can watch again and again. I pretty much know all the lines in it :lol:

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:57 am

Matz wrote:I think Heat is a far better modern heist movie than Point Break, BUT Point Break is an amazing movie, definitely one of my favorites that I can watch again and again. I pretty much know all the lines in it :lol:
I love everything Heat director Michael Mann has done so far with the lone exception of his last film, Public Enemies.

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Heat is by far the best movie of his I think, everything's done to perfection. Music, characters, photography, dialogue, locations, acting, story. Amazing. It's probably my favorite movie of all time

kv

#14 Post by kv » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:36 pm

cowboys and aliens..made me want pillows and blankets

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Hobo with a Shotgun

Yeah its awesome after a bowl or two

ant

#16 Post by ant » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Matz wrote:I think Heat is a far better modern heist movie than Point Break, BUT Point Break is an amazing movie, definitely one of my favorites that I can watch again and again. I pretty much know all the lines in it :lol:
I love everything Heat director Michael Mann has done so far with the lone exception of his last film, Public Enemies.
I'm a big Michael Mann fan as well. I' skipped the Muhamed Ali movie cause I can't take two hours of Wil Smith and totally agree about Public Enemies. The movie seemed really disjointed and the audio editing was terrible. I couldn't hear half the dialogue without cranking the volume and then the action and ambient soundtrack was way too loud.

Japhy

#17 Post by Japhy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Matz wrote:
hokahey wrote:
I think Heat is a far better modern heist movie than Point Break, BUT Point Break is an amazing movie, definitely one of my favorites that I can watch again and again. I pretty much know all the lines in it :lol:
Can we please turn this thread into one purely for Point Break?!! I like to pretend i'm smart and will often say that something like "A Matter of Life and Death" is my favourite movie (although it is indeed awesome) but, if i'm true to myself, it's all about the ex-presidents and Johnny Utah! Movie perfection.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#18 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Japhy wrote:
Matz wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Can we please turn this thread into one purely for Point Break?!! I like to pretend i'm smart and will often say that something like "A Matter of Life and Death" is my favourite movie (although it is indeed awesome) but, if i'm true to myself, it's all about the ex-presidents and Johnny Utah! Movie perfection.
Hey Utah. Two. Get me Two.

Jasper

#19 Post by Jasper » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Fuck that other thread - it's not in the goddamn section that says it's for movies. :balls:

I saw this last night. It was highly rated, but I'd put off watching it because the subject matter sounded depressing and dreary. It actually turned out to be a very lean thriller that was, in a way, a lot of fun. In any case, it delivers the thrills, so if you want to categorize that as fun, then it's fun. Sometimes I like to go into a movie cold, so the following diminutive sentence could be considered a type of spoiler, if you're a person who wants to know nothing about the plot of the movie:
Liam Neeson is trying to rescue his daughter from the sex slave trade in Eurpope.

So if you like a good old school thriller that doesn't drag at all, I'd check this out (unless you're Larry who appears to violently hate Liam Neeson, or perhaps even Irish people in general - who knows).

Anybody else see this?

perkana

#20 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:14 pm

me, it was alright

Hype

#21 Post by Hype » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:20 pm

I am just finishing "God Bless America" (thanks to ES for posting the video on FB). Holy shit. :neutral:

Possibly the best dark comedic satire done since Network (maybe even better than Network). It felt Jonathan Swift could've written it. Simultaneously horrible and empathetic -- alienating. I said possibly, because maybe I read into it more than is there... Goldthwait seems to think he was saying something important.

... Not easy to watch.

He explains himself here: http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... agree-with
At one point he says: "You know, I'm not asking people to eat Irish children, you know, that's the point..." :rockon:

mockbee

#22 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Excellent, excellent movie. Best in a long time. Didn't care for the ending, but that's okay. Adurentibus, I think you would find it very funny/interesting.
Cumberland 4 - Alliance Cinemas
159 Cumberland Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
‎2:00‎ ‎4:40‎ ‎7:30‎

CO Sheppard Grande
4861 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
‎1:05‎ ‎4:20‎ ‎6:45‎ ‎9:25‎
:nod:

:waits:

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm

mockbee wrote:Image
Excellent, excellent movie. Best in a long time. Didn't care for the ending, but that's okay. Adurentibus, I think you would find it very funny/interesting.
Cumberland 4 - Alliance Cinemas
159 Cumberland Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
‎2:00‎ ‎4:40‎ ‎7:30‎

CO Sheppard Grande
4861 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
‎1:05‎ ‎4:20‎ ‎6:45‎ ‎9:25‎
:nod:

:waits:
Oh right. :lol: I forgot. Thanks Mockbee. It's been a long couple of weeks... my brain is fried.

I thought the ending was perfect, btw.

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Jasper wrote:Fuck that other thread - it's not in the goddamn section that says it's for movies. :balls:

I saw this last night. It was highly rated, but I'd put off watching it because the subject matter sounded depressing and dreary. It actually turned out to be a very lean thriller that was, in a way, a lot of fun. In any case, it delivers the thrills, so if you want to categorize that as fun, then it's fun. Sometimes I like to go into a movie cold, so the following diminutive sentence could be considered a type of spoiler, if you're a person who wants to know nothing about the plot of the movie:
Liam Neeson is trying to rescue his daughter from the sex slave trade in Eurpope.

So if you like a good old school thriller that doesn't drag at all, I'd check this out (unless you're Larry who appears to violently hate Liam Neeson, or perhaps even Irish people in general - who knows).

Anybody else see this?

you are probably the only person that didn't see it. like you said it was a fun movie.

how can anyone hate liam neeson?

perkana

#25 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:39 pm

I just want to know if he's as well endowed as they say he is... have heard so many jokes about it