Please don't fuck up the forums

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Please don't fuck up the forums

#1 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 pm

While I learn the ins and outs of how to get this fucker off the ground I think we need to establish the ground rules. Treat this place with the same respect you treated Xiola. Maybe more so. No racist, sexist, homophobic bullshit. No cluttering up the main forums with bullshit threads and posts. Let's make this an inviting place to visit. No one gets on the moderation queue here but let's not abuse it.

Also:

No personal attacks on the band or their families. Most importantly do not bring up kids. Do not refer to Etty with racial or sexist slurs. Let's show that there can be an alternative to strict rules without taking it too far.

Sorry if you don't like it, but I think most of us want somewhere like Xiola to hang out. Not somewhere like the old ANR. We'll have our Drink N Slum forum for most of that.

Going forward there will be plenty of opportunity to make suggestions, offer assistance etc. This will be a board for and of the community. Let's just not trash the place before we even get the doors on.

:tiphat:

kv

Re: Please don't fuck up the forums

#2 Post by kv » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:13 pm

all fair and good :3some:

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:21 pm

OK, but the one thing that could get confusing is the personal attacks on the band. I completely agree with the premise, but maybe it should be more specific. I mean, if someone said "Perry's too burnt out from e, H, crack, and LSD to write good lyrics anymore," would that be a personal attack?

thoreau

#4 Post by thoreau » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Good set of rules. Let's hope we can keep them going.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Jasper wrote:OK, but the one thing that could get confusing is the personal attacks on the band. I completely agree with the premise, but maybe it should be more specific. I mean, if someone said "Perry's too burnt out from e, H, crack, and LSD to write good lyrics anymore," would that be a personal attack?

No. Good point. Just no over the top shit about them as human beings. I'm not sure how to define that line. I'm trying to figure out some shit on PHPBB3 and I'm getting annoyed. :sad1:

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 pm

hokahey wrote:
Jasper wrote:OK, but the one thing that could get confusing is the personal attacks on the band. I completely agree with the premise, but maybe it should be more specific. I mean, if someone said "Perry's too burnt out from e, H, crack, and LSD to write good lyrics anymore," would that be a personal attack?

No. Good point. Just no over the top shit about them as human beings. I'm not sure how to define that line. :sad1:
We can consult Hype on this, if he ever shows up.

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Can't we just settle on no mentions of physical harm? i think that kind of gets the point across as to what is out of bounds.

Typically we just stick to picture humor (defacing pics they post) or different variations of calling Etty shallow.

But no one, to my knowledge, has ever wished physical harm on anyone or their family. which i think is the one thing that is definitely out of bounds.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:36 pm

seriously though, i can't believe we have to actually go over "rules"

No one is going to get out of hand unless you start telling them what they can and can't do. People will generally moderate themselves as they did at xiola, and if anyone needs to be told they are out of bounds... it will certainly be done by the members themselves.

At that point, once the members have been pissed off, i think we can have an admin step in and say "cool it".

But it rarely gets to that. People will just bicker for 3 days and then move on.

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Can't we just settle on no mentions of physical harm? i think that kind of gets the point across as to what is out of bounds.

Typically we just stick to picture humor (defacing pics they post) or different variations of calling Etty shallow.

But no one, to my knowledge, has ever wished physical harm on anyone or their family. which i think is the one thing that is definitely out of bounds.
the tranny and "dumb bitch" comments are not really necessary. i see no problem in making fun of something she says or does but the personal insults get a little old. :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#10 Post by creep » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:38 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:seriously though, i can't believe we have to actually go over "rules"

No one is going to get out of hand unless you start telling them what they can and can't do. People will generally moderate themselves as they did at xiola, and if anyone needs to be told they are out of bounds... it will certainly be done by the members themselves.

At that point, once the members have been pissed off, i think we can have an admin step in and say "cool it".

But it rarely gets to that. People will just bicker for 3 days and then move on.
that's true

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:41 pm

creep wrote: i see no problem in making fun of something she says or does
i am taking this comment as your acceptance of the return of the "Deep Thoughts by Etty" thread.

:lol:
creep wrote:
but the personal insults get a little old. :noclue:
That's why i made this...

:etty:

to point out when we were beating it to death.
Last edited by JOEinPHX on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:seriously though, i can't believe we have to actually go over "rules"

I'm not sure I agree. Having done this before I've seen how quickly things can get out of hand if it's not clear that there are rules.

kv

#13 Post by kv » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:45 pm

creep wrote:

that's true
yep only one who ever paniced was sony :sonny:

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:47 pm

i am all for having rules. i just don't want to see anyone made an example of (ie banning people) to prove the point that we have rules.

The rules should exist as a guideline for people's behavior, not just to have a list of ways to remove people.

Which is the mistake that JA.org makes. They think their rules help make conversation better, but notice there is no conversation going on. Because people are moderated, posts are deleted, etc...

Make a list of rules. But #1 should be "just be reasonable and you'll be fine"

Hokahey
Site Admin

#15 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i am all for having rules. i just don't want to see anyone made an example of (ie banning people) to prove the point that we have rules.

The rules should exist as a guideline for people's behavior, not just to have a list of ways to remove people.

Which is the mistake that JA.org makes. They think their rules help make conversation better, but notice there is no conversation going on. Because people are moderated, posts are deleted, etc...
Agreed 100%
Make a list of rules. But #1 should be "just be reasonable and you'll be fine"
Disagree. Different people have definitions of reasonable. I think some of you forget how bad these forums (ANR, Whores) used to get.

thoreau

#16 Post by thoreau » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:58 pm

creep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Can't we just settle on no mentions of physical harm? i think that kind of gets the point across as to what is out of bounds.

the tranny and "dumb bitch" comments are not really necessary. i see no problem in making fun of something she says or does but the personal insults get a little old. :noclue:
Agreed. The "Perry's fucking a Thai lady boy" ones were a bit of bad taste.

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:02 pm

forget? I was part of the reason it was so bad. :lol:

People have calmed down though. Give credit where credit is due. Old age has made us all pussies.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#18 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:forget? I was part of the reason it was so bad. :lol:

People have calmed down though. Give credit where credit is due. Old age has made us all pussies.

That sure applies to me. But if nothing else we're having a discussion about what kind of community we want, everyone seems to pretty agree on it so I think we're off to a good start.

kv

#19 Post by kv » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 pm

we'll be fine

chaos

#20 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Yes, we can have "nice" threads. :lol:

Artemis

#21 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:54 pm

hokahey wrote:No cluttering up the main forums with bullshit threads and posts.

I think you will have to be more specific.

For example, I would consider an NFL thread to be bullshit cluttter, but to somebody else it's not.

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:59 pm

I suggest a front page with a FAQ outlining the rules.

Perhaps with worse case examples... just so people know what they shouldn't say or do, of course (heh).

chaos

#23 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Did the first new board crash or something? I was catching up on what has happened over the last 24hrs but I got stuck, and then closed the window (I couldn't move or log out). I can't get the site back.

Anyway, I deleted the url for new board #1 and posted this url on twitter.

ant

#24 Post by ant » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 pm

How are we already talking about no personal attacks when the beating a dead horse smilie is Etty in her favorite pose? Seems like that's already set the tone. :noclue:

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I suggest a front page with a FAQ outlining the rules.

Perhaps with worse case examples... just so people know what they shouldn't say or do, of course (heh).
I agree 100%.

Also, you can now put up a gigantic Hi-Def version of your avatar. Check it out.