Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1601 Post by creep » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:44 pm

i'm not a fan at all of superhero movies but deadpool was really good. probably because the movie didn't take the whole superhero thing seriously and made fun of the typical things you see in them. it's more of a comedy than a superhero movie. that is probably why i liked it.

perkana

#1602 Post by perkana » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks for your review, I wasn't sure about watching it. Today I'm going to see Legend with Tom Hardy. He plays gangster twins.

Artemis

#1603 Post by Artemis » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:10 am

A friend and I went to see The Witch last night and walked out after about an hour. I know this movie has been getting rave reviews but it didn't do anything for me. I found it really boring.I knew going in that it was not going to be a typical horror movie, so I was not expecting that. I found the lighting in the movie to be quite dark most of the time and some of the dialogue was difficult to understand. I think due to sound mixing. Also, the people in the theatre were quite distracting- lots of coughing, talking, and candy wrapper rustling. I'll probably watch this movie again some time, perhaps in the comfort of home without all the distractions.

farrellgirl99

#1604 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:06 am

How much are movies in Cananda, Artemis? I feel like I could never walk out on a movie because of how expensive they are.

I went to see Deadpool last night and paid $33 for two people. Unbelievable. I didn't like it, but I wasn't expecting too. Not my type of humor.

perkana

#1605 Post by perkana » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:24 am

Here is so cheap... I pay 45-60 pesos (2.25-3 USD). 80 (4 USD) if I want to watch in 3D or with better digital sound. I think 4D is around 160 pesos (8 USD).

Artemis

#1606 Post by Artemis » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:47 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:How much are movies in Cananda, Artemis? I feel like I could never walk out on a movie because of how expensive they are.
In Canuck bucks a regular movie is $13 (Tuesdays $8)
3D & Ultra AVX:$16
D Box UltraAVX :$24 (I have no idea what this is)

Last night I didn't pay;my friend had movie passes.

farrellgirl99

#1607 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:48 pm

Movie passes are definitely the way to go! So its about the same give or take as here...I have a local independent theater a few blocks away from me that plays indie/oscar movies only and they do $8 movies on tuesdays and thursdays. I love that place.

Perk, I definitely need to move to Mexico! :lol:

Artemis

#1608 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:29 am

Last night I went to a special screening of Born to be Blue with Ethan Hawke and the director. Q&A following movie
Ethan Hawke is an utterly magnetic screen presence as Chet Baker, the legendary trumpeter and singer who, after becoming a jazz icon in the 1950s, became equally famous for his drug addiction. Born to be Blue reimagines Baker’s life as a mixture of factual and fictional events, picking up his story late in his career when — after years of heroin abuse, financial loss, and public disgrace — he stages a comeback.

Born to be Blue finds Baker at the end of the 1960s, starring in a film about his own already-infamous life. He strikes up a passionate romance on and off the film set with Jane (Carmen Ejogo), the actress playing one of his lovers, but his hopes for a bright future are suddenly darkened when he suffers a brutal beating in a parking lot after a gig. The film is shelved, and his mouth so badly damaged that his musical career looks in doubt. With a modified sound, a youthful hunger, and Jane’s unflagging support, he becomes determined to regain his place among his peers — chiefly his friend and collaborator Dizzy Gillespie (Kevin Hanchard), his rival Miles Davis (Kedar Brown), and his reticent producer (Callum Keith Rennie).

Writer-director Robert Budreau immerses us in the seductive jazz milieu of the time, while anchoring Baker’s story in the larger context of 1960s America’s racial issues and ongoing political turmoil. Something much more than a standard biopic, Born to be Blue takes an imaginative approach true to its subject’s own creative nature, portraying the life of an artist whose contributions to the music world were as grand as his addictions were tragic.
Pretty good movie.

A couple of pics I took..

Ethan Hawke is the one in the middle, Robert Budreau, the director is on the right.

Ethan Hawke on the red carpet.

perkana

#1609 Post by perkana » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:13 pm

I'm afraid your pictures are protected...I only see a forbidden logo.

Artemis

#1610 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:45 pm

perkana wrote:I'm afraid your pictures are protected...I only see a forbidden logo.
weird...must be some Google Picassa setting.

I'll try again..

perkana

#1611 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:04 am

:thumb:
Sounds like you had a great time. I've always wanted to go to a Q&A of one of my favorite directors. Hope to attend one of Kevin Smith's once in my life.

Bandit72

#1612 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 am

:lol:

I love the Saving Private Ryan parody.

SR

#1613 Post by SR » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:02 am

I have been looking forward to BTBB. How did you find it Arty?

Artemis

#1614 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:49 am

SR wrote:I have been looking forward to BTBB. How did you find it Arty?
I liked Born to be Blue. Ethan Hawke was really good. One of his best roles, I think. He didn't actually play the trumpet in the movie, but he did sing.

The movie is not a typical biopic. There was some truth and some fiction which resulted in a more compelling film.

I think it's worth checking out.

SR

#1615 Post by SR » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:53 am

eah, my wife and I made plans to see it this weekend......did it have him thrown off a balcony? :noclue: :noclue: J/k.....pray don't tell

Artemis

#1616 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:00 am

SR wrote:eah, my wife and I made plans to see it this weekend......did it have him thrown off a balcony? :noclue: :noclue: J/k.....pray don't tell
After you see the movie, you'll have to let me know what you think of the ending.

There was a fair bit of discussion about this in the Q&A at the screening I attended. I liked the ending, but some were disappointed. I can't say more at this time.. :lol:

Pandemonium

#1617 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:11 am

Watched Hateful 8 last night. Tarantino's movies are becoming progressively more frustrating to sit through with every film. It's not a bad movie by any means, it's gorgeously shot and directed and the cast, especially Kurt Russell are spot on but it's the usual 30 minutes of Tarantino dialog/something happens/30 more minutes of dialog/something happens/everyone dies w/punchline..The End. At least there's no jarring 80's rock song, although there is a White Stripes tune (that at least fits the tone of the movie).

SR

#1618 Post by SR » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:40 am

No new thread needed, but LMU is hosting a weekend long film fest on grrrls in punk this weekend.....

http://www.laweekly.com/arts/two-riot-g ... mu-6716674

SR

#1619 Post by SR » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Just watched CBGB with Alan Rickman (2015).....loved it. One of the places I never made it to before it closed a decade or so ago. :banghead:

Larry B.

#1620 Post by Larry B. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Saw Labyrinth last night, it has every element of a cult classic. Very fun to watch.

perkana

#1621 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:21 am

I'm going to watch later today "Trainspotting" at my local movie theater to celebrate its 20th anniversary :rockon:

perkana

#1622 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:24 am

Pandemonium wrote:Watched Hateful 8 last night. Tarantino's movies are becoming progressively more frustrating to sit through with every film. It's not a bad movie by any means, it's gorgeously shot and directed and the cast, especially Kurt Russell are spot on but it's the usual 30 minutes of Tarantino dialog/something happens/30 more minutes of dialog/something happens/everyone dies w/punchline..The End. At least there's no jarring 80's rock song, although there is a White Stripes tune (that at least fits the tone of the movie).
It's Tarantino. Are you surprised? I love his style and that’s what I expected.

Larry B.

#1623 Post by Larry B. » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:06 am

Finally saw The Phantom Menace last night. It was even worse than I thought it was. A bunch of people narrating the story while remaining still, a bazillion CGI, unnecesary things all over the shot, the end.

Will watch Episode 2 soon.

nausearockpig

#1624 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:19 am

Larry B. wrote:Finally saw The Phantom Menace last night. It was even worse than I thought it was. A bunch of people narrating the story while remaining still, a bazillion CGI, unnecesary things all over the shot, the end.

Yeah but Darth Maul, & his lightsaber!

There's a fun fan theory that talks about Jar Jar being the secret Sith Lord behind it all. Google it. Awesome!

Larry B.

#1625 Post by Larry B. » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Finally saw The Phantom Menace last night. It was even worse than I thought it was. A bunch of people narrating the story while remaining still, a bazillion CGI, unnecesary things all over the shot, the end.

Yeah but Darth Maul, & his lightsaber!

There's a fun fan theory that talks about Jar Jar being the secret Sith Lord behind it all. Google it. Awesome!
Yup, I read that on Reddit a few months ago, I think. It was actually one of the reasons I agreed to watch it with my wife. I remember reading that (supposedly) in an interview George Lucas or some other chump said something like "we had a great twist planned for one of the characters, that would really impact the direction of the other two movies, but due to the response of the audience we had to scrap it". Seems absolutely plausible.