Now Watching...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
perkana

Re: Now Watching...

#51 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:10 am

I can't believe we're not behind this season (re: Homeland). I'm finally enjoying it without missing Brody. I really liked the first episode. I haven't had time to catch up with The Leftovers. You can spoil this for me creep. In one paragraph, what is it about?

Matz

#52 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:19 pm

just watched season 5 of Breaking bad again....so fuckin amazing

creep
Site Admin

#53 Post by creep » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:52 pm

perkana wrote:You can spoil this for me creep. In one paragraph, what is it about?
really nothing to spoil. no one knows what the fuck is going on. all we know is that one day a bunch of people everywhere disappeared.

you don't really need to know the first season to watch the second. just start with last weeks episode and you will be fine. don't let the first ten minutes throw you though.

s1
Three years after "The Sudden Departure," where two percent of the world's population disappeared suddenly, the townspeople of Mapleton struggle with life including Police Chief Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux), who has to deal with mysterious happenings in town, his two rebelling teenaged children, as well as a cult called the Guilty Remnant that includes Laurie (Amy Brenneman), a self-proclaimed prophet named "Holy Wayne" (Paterson Joseph), Rev. Matt Jamison (Christopher Eccleston), and Mayor Lucy Warburton (Amanda Warren) in this drama series based on Tom Perrotta's novel of the same name. Collapse
s2
Season two finds Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux) retired and moving with Nora Durst (Carrie Coon) and his daughter Jill (Margaret Qualley) to the Jarden, Texas, a town untouched by The Departure. Also coming to town are Matt Jamison (Christopher Eccleston) has moved with his wife, Mary (Janel Moloney).

blackula

#54 Post by blackula » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Anyone watch Bloodline on Netflix? I think it's on par with any Showtime or HBO series. I don't know anyone that's watched it, my wife and I blazed through the season in a week.

creep
Site Admin

#55 Post by creep » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:33 pm

blackula wrote:Anyone watch Bloodline on Netflix? I think it's on par with any Showtime or HBO series. I don't know anyone that's watched it, my wife and I blazed through the season in a week.
looks interesting. i'll download it and check it out.

Everybody's Friend

#56 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:02 pm

blackula wrote:Anyone watch Bloodline on Netflix? I think it's on par with any Showtime or HBO series. I don't know anyone that's watched it, my wife and I blazed through the season in a week.
We liked it a lot.

Deadly drinking game - take a drink any time anyone on that show has a drink...you'll be dead in like 10 min....

creep
Site Admin

#57 Post by creep » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 pm

just finished it. if you guys didn't say it was good i would of bailed after the first episode because i thought it was boring. really good series. obviously set up for a second season but i'm not sure how good it would be without danny.

edit...just read that danny will be back for season 2 so that will be interesting to see what they do with him. without giving too much away i'm sure they will use him like his sister that would talk to him.

Artemis

#58 Post by Artemis » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:41 pm

http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/winter-t ... ok_vulture#

The full winter 2016 lineup:

Wednesday, December 16
10 p.m. The Magicians, Syfy

Thursday, December 17
9 p.m. Luther, BBC America

Friday, December 18
12 a.m. F for Family, Netflix
12 a.m. Making a Murderer, Netflix

Wednesday, December 30
12 a.m. Mozart in the Jungle, Amazon

Friday, January 1
9 p.m. Sherlock: The Abominable Bride, PBS

Sunday, January 3
8 p.m. Galavant, ABC
8 p.m. The Simpsons, Fox
8:30 p.m. Cooper Barrett’s Guide to Surviving Life, Fox
9 p.m. Downton Abbey, PBS
9 p.m. Family Guy, Fox
9:30 p.m Bordertown, Fox

Monday, January 4
8 p.m. Superstore, NBC

Tuesday, January 5
8 p.m. New Girl, Fox
8:30 p.m. Grandfathered, Fox
9 p.m. Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Fox
9:30 p.m. The Grinder, Fox
10 p.m. The Shannara Chronicles, MTV

Wednesday, January 6
8 p.m. American Idol, Fox
10 p.m. American Crime, ABC
10 p.m. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, FXX
10:30 p.m. Man Seeking Woman, FXX

Thursday, January 7
9:30 p.m. Angel From Hell, CBS
10 p.m. Todd Margaret, IFC
10 p.m. Shades of Blue, NBC

Friday, January 8
8 p.m. Masterchef Junior, Fox

Sunday, January 10
8 p.m. 73rd Golden Globe Awards, NBC
9 p.m. Shameless, Showtime

Tuesday, January 12
8 p.m. Pretty Little Liars, Freeform
9 p.m. Shadowhunters, Freeform

Wednesday, January 13
9 p.m. Second Chance, Fox
10 p.m. Younger, TV Land
11 p.m. Teachers, TV Land

Thursday, January 14
10 p.m. Colony, USA
10:30 p.m. Idiotsitter, Comedy Central

Friday, January 15
12 a.m. Degrassi: The Next Class, Netflix
9 p.m. Hell’s Kitchen, Fox

Sunday, January 17
9 p.m. Angie Tribeca, TBS
10 p.m. Billions, Showtime
10 p.m. Mercy Street, PBS

Monday, January 18
8 p.m. The Fosters, Freeform

Tuesday, January 19
9 p.m. Agent Carter, ABC

Thursday, January 21
8 p.m. DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, CW
9 p.m. The 100, CW
10 p.m. Portlandia, IFC
10 p.m. Baskets, FX

Saturday, January 23
9 p.m. Black Sails, Starz

Sunday, January 24
10 p.m. The X-Files (season premiere, part one), Fox

Monday, January 25
8 p.m. The X-Files (season premiere, part two), Fox
9 p.m. Lucifer, Fox

Tuesday, January 26
9 p.m. Outsiders, WGN

Friday, January 29
8 p.m. The Vampire Diaries, CW
9 p.m. The Originals, CW
9 p.m. Banshee, Cinemax

Sunday, January 31
7 p.m., Grease: Live, Fox

Thursday, February 2
8 p.m. The Muppets, ABC
8:30 p.m. Fresh Off the Boat, ABC
10 p.m. American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, FX

Friday, February 5
9 p.m., Sleepy Hollow, Fox
11:30 p.m. Animals, HBO

Sunday, February 7
6:30 p.m. Super Bowl 50, CBS

Tuesday, February 9
10 p.m. Tosh.0, Comedy Central
10:30 p.m. Not Safe W/ Nikki Glaser, Comedy Central

Thursday, February 11
8 p.m. Grey’s Anatomy, ABC
9 p.m. Scandal, ABC
10 p.m. How to Get Away With Murder, ABC

Sunday, February 14
9 p.m. Vinyl, HBO
10 p.m. The Walking Dead, AMC

Monday, February 15
12 a.m. 11.22.63, Hulu
10 p.m. Better Call Saul, AMC

Wednesday, February 17
10:30 p.m. Broad City, Comedy Central

Sunday, February 21
10 p.m Girls, HBO
10:30 p.m. Togetherness, HBO

Tuesday, February 23
12:30 a.m. This Is Not Happening, Comedy Central

Sunday, February 28
4 p.m. The 88th Annual Academy Awards: Pre-show and Ceremony, ABC

Monday, February 29
8 p.m Gotham, Fox

Wednesday, March 2
8 p.m. Rosewood, Fox
8 p.m. The Real O’Neals, ABC

Thursday, March 3
12:30 a.m. Adam Devine’s House Party, Comedy Central
9 p.m. The Family, ABC

Friday, March 4
12 a.m. House of Cards, Netflix

Sunday, March 6
8 p.m. Once Upon a Time, ABC
10 p.m. Quantico, ABC

Tuesday, March 8
9 p.m. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., ABC
10 p.m. Of Kings and Prophets, ABC

Wednesday, March 16
8 p.m. Schitt’s Creek, Pop
10 p.m. Nashville, ABC

Thursday, March 24
10 p.m. The Catch, ABC

Wednesday, March 30
9 p.m. Empire, Fox

Larry B.

#59 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:31 pm

We started watching Luther a couple of weeks ago, good little show. Nothing too deep, but the performance of the main actor is quite good and the storylines can be intriguing. We already finished season 1, I'd recommend it.

blackula

#60 Post by blackula » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 pm

creep wrote:
just finished it. if you guys didn't say it was good i would of bailed after the first episode because i thought it was boring. really good series. obviously set up for a second season but i'm not sure how good it would be without danny.

edit...just read that danny will be back for season 2 so that will be interesting to see what they do with him. without giving too much away i'm sure they will use him like his sister that would talk to him.
How good was the acting? I love how season 1 went from dark family drama into a suspense type thriller. John Leguizamo ( I probably butchered the spelling) is in season 2, last I read is out this March. Danny was such a great character, I loved how the story unfolded and he got more and more scummy but you somehow kept rooting for him. The actor that played him stole the show

kv

#61 Post by kv » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:50 am

Larry B. wrote:We started watching Luther a couple of weeks ago, good little show. Nothing too deep, but the performance of the main actor is quite good and the storylines can be intriguing. We already finished season 1, I'd recommend it.
you ever watch "the wire" larry?

Larry B.

#62 Post by Larry B. » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:00 am

Nope... is it any good?

Bandit72

#63 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:12 am

Apparently The Wire is most excellent. I've never seen it.

I'm currently watching Scandavia's finest 'The Bridge'. Series 3 concludes this Saturday. Simply brilliant. I never thought they would improve on Series 1 and 2 but they have. It's also really weird,as since it is in Danish and Swedish, I still have to have the volume up whilst I read the subtitles.

Squee

#64 Post by Squee » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:11 am

I marathoned thru Flesh and Bone over a couple of nights with insomnia.
Created by past Breaking Bad writer & producer Moira Walley-Beckett; it was a twisted and thoroughly enjoyable 8 episode mini series that left me wanting more.

creep
Site Admin

#65 Post by creep » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:34 am

anyone else watch making a murderer on netflix? really good documentary. i think he did murder the girl but i also think the police planted evidence. i have no idea how the kid was involved or if he was involved at all.
Filmed over a 10-year period, Making a Murderer is an unprecedented real-life thriller about Steven Avery, a DNA exoneree who, while in the midst of exposing corruption in local law enforcement, finds himself the prime suspect in a grisly new crime. Set in America's heartland, the series takes viewers inside a high-stakes criminal case where reputation is everything and things are never as they appear.

Artemis

#66 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:44 am

Making A Murderer is on my list. A couple friends mentioned it was good and worth a watch.

I finished watching Season 2 of Transparent. I really enjoyed it. :thumb:

creep
Site Admin

#67 Post by creep » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:41 pm

sunday night went from being my favorite night of tv to absolutely nothing on in one week.

farrellgirl99

#68 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:52 pm

im watching making a murderer right now. up to episode four. i dont care whether he did it or not, that whole police dept is so fucked up.

i also finished transparent - second season was great!

ive watched most of master of none and i dont really like it. i think it was really hyped up. its not funny and it just feels kinda overdone to me. im not sure if ill finish it.

Larry B.

#69 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:36 am

We started watching Making a Murderer the other night, but I think I liked it more than my wife did. What struck us the most was how 'subnormal' most of the people seemed to be. When the woman said that Avery had an IQ of 70, we said something like 'well, what else is new'. His family, his ex-wife, his cousin, everybody. It was quite creepy.

Hype

#70 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:48 am

Making a Murderer was a really excellent production, but it was a weird documentary. It wasn't just presenting this strange case, it was clearly operating with a set of narrative assumptions that messed with the viewer's head. I'm still pretty angry at a few of the people involved, especially with the manipulation of the clearly mentally retarded nephew, by basically everyone (he was 16 at the time). Avery's lawyers seemed incredible for a few reasons: I have to agree with the prosecutor that their defense should have sounded insane -- in order to say Avery's not guilty, you have to believe not just that there were some mistakes made in putting the case against him together, or that a few people didn't really like him, but that there was an actual conspiracy against him that managed to plant not just a single piece of evidence, but tie together every single piece in a way that pointed directly to him. I don't think the kind of people who would conspire to fuck over a mentally challenged already once wrongfully (and at least once prior not wrongfully) convicted felon in a small town in Wisconsin are capable of that level of what is basically spycraft. I think what did it for me is: how do you explain the bleach stains on the boy's jeans? When the lawyers say at the end that they hope Avery really did do it... I think that summed up how I felt.

The whole thing is actually pretty terrible on all sides. The Avery family were pretty clearly a pariah family in that town already -- shitdisturbing redneck asshats, but like Larry points out, they're probably all at least slightly retarded, and the system just doesn't deal with them very well. The mother and father seemed absolutely beat down by the end and I'm pretty sympathetic to them. I did also find it very strange how poorly the victim's family were portrayed. Someone really was murdered, and her story just wasn't cast in a very favorable light, if at all. The stuff about the gross sounding prosecutor being caught in a sexting scandal is really irrelevant to the murder case, even though it paints him as a morally dubious character, and probably should have been left out of the film.

Hype

#71 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:12 am

ive watched most of master of none and i dont really like it. i think it was really hyped up. its not funny and it just feels kinda overdone to me. im not sure if ill finish it.
I strongly dislike Aziz Ansari. I don't think he's funny, and I think his annoying man-boy routine is probably the worst attempt at comedy since Carrot Top. But I gave this show a shot after a bunch of my apparently culturally empty academic-leftist-feminist friends started raving about how incredible it was. I watched the whole thing and just thought: Jesus fucking christ, could you pander any more transparently to the 25+ yuppie-cum-hipster crowd? Did you really think I wouldn't notice how many times you mentioned some currently mom-friendly bullshit app/tech/service shit? Saying the word 'uber' isn't funny.

Worse, the near unanimous praise Ansari received for the episode dealing with the experience of women struck me as focused on entirely the wrong fucking point. It reminded me of the conversation that happened here a while back... but pandered to a certain insidious form of pseudo-epistemology that is currently being maintained by a sub-group of academic feminists: the "I'm a [white?] male, so I just can't understand what your life has been or will be or is like, so I guess I better shut the fuck up and assume everything you say is authoritative, not just about your own experience but about the general category of experience under which you fall." This is not the more reasonable-sounding admission that one has simply failed to take certain features of another person's experience into consideration, but a radical separation of the sexes into experientially divided camps. I think this is disgusting because it makes empathy impossible by definition (and seems to replace it with childish commiseration). It was, as far as I can tell, the same stupid marketer-driven pseudo-culture, chewed up by Ansari's idiotic man-child unfunniness, taking advantage of a certain nebulous obfuscation that sometimes pops up in current discussions of women's rights and spitting out emotional pablum for vacuous consumers of pop-garbage. And I still have a hard time understanding how so many of my exceedingly highly educated friends could fall for this shit...

Jessica Jones suffers from exactly the same problem, but just filtered through the comic-book hero pseudo-geek sub-genre rather than the pseudo-comedy sub-genre.

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:15 am

Hype wrote:in order to say Avery's not guilty, you have to believe not just that there were some mistakes made in putting the case against him together, or that a few people didn't really like him, but that there was an actual conspiracy against him that managed to plant not just a single piece of evidence, but tie together every single piece in a way that pointed directly to him.
do you think the blood and the key were planted? like i said i think he did it but i think the police wanted to make sure they had a good case against him. not just because they didn't like the guy but because of the pending lawsuit. pretty strange how the key was found after many days and after many searches by the county detectives that were told would not be a part of the investigation... also the unsealed blood and the hole in the vile.

my favorite part of the doc was the female reporter.

Hype

#73 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:25 am

creep wrote:do you think the blood and the key were planted? like i said i think he did it but i think the police wanted to make sure they had a good case against him. not just because they didn't like the guy but because of the pending lawsuit. pretty strange how the key was found after many days and after many searches by the county detectives that were told would not be a part of the investigation... also the unsealed blood and the hole in the vile.
They did a great job of pointing out just how strange both of those things are... and I don't know what to make of them. I could believe that the investigators were incompetent enough to miss the key for a few days. I think I could even believe that one of them planted the key in that specific location later, though I'm not sure why they would think that that would help, if the facts already pointed to Avery. I think the documentary may have intentionally focused on these two pieces of evidence because they were the most open to interpretation. The blood is weirder, because the FBI involvement is problematized but never clearly resolved, and there's never any clear picture of why the court wasn't convinced by the defense's expert's points about how the test can show that that additive *is* in some blood, but isn't good at showing that it isn't there. I think given the way the case went, the filmmakers *must* have left out details...

I mentioned above that apparently the kid had bleach-stains on his jeans that were key to implicating him in at least cleaning up the murder scene (and this would fit the narrative of the prosecution). This detail was left out of the show. I don't know what to do with the fact that the related charges against Avery were dropped... I guess that's why the case made such a compelling series... it's very confusing.

Hype

#74 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:56 am

Here's an interview with one of the lawyers: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 0e879.html

Kind of cool to hear his perspective now. He does seem to think Avery could still be innocent, or at least provably not guilty. :confused:

Larry B.

#75 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:25 am

creep wrote: my favorite part of the doc was the female reporter.

Name?