Who's been to/lives in Florida?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Romeo

Re: Who's been to/lives in Florida?

#51 Post by Romeo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:11 am

we have a division on So Florida and when our tech called (while traveling on a highway) he saw a alligator as road kill. It HAD to of been hit by a 18 wheeler because a car would have been damaged.

In Louisiana they would of picked up that road kill and made sausage!

Pandemonium

#52 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:01 am

Bandit72 wrote:Sharks are my favourite fish/animal (are fish classed as animals?) I guessed it's pretty bad that side. I hope I do see some gators. I know it'll be pretty hot end of July, and I've heard the rain is warm when it does rain. I've also heard Clearwater has the best beaches to go to. Although we're going primarily for the children, we won't spend all our time doing stuff specifically for them. They'll be happy exploring different places that's not Disney or Legoland. I think I mentioned befor I'd like to go to Canaveral. I also want a big fat American car with like 20 seats and a 10 litre engine. :wiggle:
I cannot recommend checking out Cape Canaveral enough. Being able to see firsthand the facilities, rockets, spacecraft and other hardware used to get the US to the Moon is an awesome thing. And to really see everything, it's a full day. I would stress that you need to do the bus tour (book in advance!) to see the entire site and especially to get to the Saturn V building that houses an entire Moon rocket and various Apollo hardware. Unfortunately, I don't think you can tour *inside* the gigantic Assembly Building anymore where they stack rockets. Oh and FYI, I saw at least half a dozen gators lounging in watery ditches and right off the roads and employee parking lots while touring the site. Here's the website:

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/tours.aspx

SR

#53 Post by SR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:38 am

Miami is a banana republic

Romeo

#54 Post by Romeo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 am

In Miami you must know spanish. Seriously. I was in the Miami airport for 3 hours on a lay over and thought I was in Havana.

And YES to Cape Canaveral!! I'm such a space geek and we used to go there when I was a kid! The last time I was there they were just building the space shuttle. I remember during the tour they had one of the heat shield tiles and showed how it resisted heat. (I remember this trip to FL, it was 1977 and Elvis died. The way the people of Florida reacted you'd think the President was shot and killed)

creep
Site Admin

#55 Post by creep » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:08 pm

:noclue:

mockbee

#56 Post by mockbee » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:22 pm

There are many reported cases of pythons down toilets in florida.
Can you imagine looking down and seeing one of those staring back at you....
:fear:

They are ubiquitous, probably your article touched on how terribly bad they are for the eco system there, crazy they just came from people's unwanted pets, elsewhere in the country they just die in the winters or shrivel up in the sun.

Romeo

#57 Post by Romeo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:54 pm

There used to be the urban legend that alligators lived in the sewers of NYC

Partly because back in the day you could buy a baby alligator while vacationing in Florida and the rumor was that parents would flush the alligator when it started to get too big :lol:

Bandit72

#58 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Right, three weeks before I go.

What kind of nasty spiders and snakes can I expect to find in or around the Villa? I'm really hoping to see some. The problem I have is both my children aren't scared of them as over here I got them used to picking them up from an early age. Obviously we have no poisonous spiders in England.....

Also, what do you lot do for breakfast? Steak? Waffles? MEGA SUGAR Cereal? Toast? Can I get decent sliced bread or would I have to buy fresh bread? I'm bringing tea with me, but that's about it.

Many thanks :tiphat:

Hype

#59 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Right, three weeks before I go.

What kind of nasty spiders and snakes can I expect to find in or around the Villa? I'm really hoping to see some. The problem I have is both my children aren't scared of them as over here I got them used to picking them up from an early age. Obviously we have no poisonous spiders in England.....

Also, what do you lot do for breakfast? Steak? Waffles? MEGA SUGAR Cereal? Toast? Can I get decent sliced bread or would I have to buy fresh bread? I'm bringing tea with me, but that's about it.

Many thanks :tiphat:
My memory of breakfast in Florida was going to a Denny's and finding it really expensive for no reason. Don't go to Denny's. I imagine it's not too difficult to get Cuban food, or even southern style breakfasts ala biscuits and bacon and whatnot. So, closer to a classic English breakfast than, say, a Continental breakfast. You can probably also get continental breakfasts at hotels. :scared:

You should also eat gator, if you've never tried it, because it's awesome.

Bandit72

#60 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:29 pm

We'll be eating most of breakfast at 'home', so I think eating at Denny's or any other outlet probably isn't going to happen. Which is a shame as in Montreal, Chicago and New York I really enjoyed the breakfasts. I remember Speedy's in Manhatten used to take the boiled egg off your plate before they weighed it! Fair play. In the UK I either eat toast with marmite, croissants, pain au chocolate that kind of thing. Occasionally I'll go to a café and have bacon/sausage/egg/black pudding/ beans etc...I've been told American bread isn't the best in the world....maybe I will find my way to a breakfast outlet some days.

I'll try gator, definitely.

Artemis

#61 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Whenever I went to my parents place in Clearwater I shopped for groceries at Publix;they had everything like any larger grocery chain. I liked the rotisserie chicken from there.

If you and your family like shell fish, you should try a crab shack.

Bandit72

#62 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:50 pm

Day 2 in Florida. Shit, I could get used to this weather. Not as humid as Singapore, KL or Bangkok, but very warm and very clean. Had a great trip down to London and I would HIGHLY recommend the Norwegian air Dreamliner.. Was aa lot quicker at immigration than I had anticipated and the staff were marginally more friendly than those at JFK. I fucked up on the drive from Fort Lauderdale to Davenport though. Picked up the hire car about 11 pm, and missed about 2 junctions to the Florida turnpike. The road signs here are god awful, but the roads are good, albeit very long....which is really not great when you've had no sleep and it's a 3 hour drive from the airport. Still, we arrived SAFE at 3 am. Very tired now mind.

Was at a Walmart this afternoon and at the deli counter, the two women serving me didn't speak English well at all. Like a few broken sentences. Now my Spanish is good enough to get around but, errrr, hello, this is the United States. As much as I love diversity, you would expect someone to understand the native tongue. Anyway, looking forward to the next two weeks immensely!

creep
Site Admin

#63 Post by creep » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Day 2 in Florida. Shit, I could get used to this weather. Not as humid as Singapore, KL or Bangkok, but very warm and very clean. Had a great trip down to London and I would HIGHLY recommend the Norwegian air Dreamliner.. Was aa lot quicker at immigration than I had anticipated and the staff were marginally more friendly than those at JFK. I fucked up on the drive from Fort Lauderdale to Davenport though. Picked up the hire car about 11 pm, and missed about 2 junctions to the Florida turnpike. The road signs here are god awful, but the roads are good, albeit very long....which is really not great when you've had no sleep and it's a 3 hour drive from the airport. Still, we arrived SAFE at 3 am. Very tired now mind.

Was at a Walmart this afternoon and at the deli counter, the two women serving me didn't speak English well at all. Like a few broken sentences. Now my Spanish is good enough to get around but, errrr, hello, this is the United States. As much as I love diversity, you would expect someone to understand the native tongue. Anyway, looking forward to the next two weeks immensely!
any other foreign visitors to our country i would suggest that you do not go to walmart. it's not our best look.

california is worse with people not speaking english. at least if they were working at walmart they were here legally. the language thing never bothered me but i do get frustrated with calling certain companies and you get a foreign call center and their english is not good. :noclue:

nausearockpig

#64 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:36 pm

creep wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Day 2 in Florida. Shit, I could get used to this weather. Not as humid as Singapore, KL or Bangkok, but very warm and very clean. Had a great trip down to London and I would HIGHLY recommend the Norwegian air Dreamliner.. Was aa lot quicker at immigration than I had anticipated and the staff were marginally more friendly than those at JFK. I fucked up on the drive from Fort Lauderdale to Davenport though. Picked up the hire car about 11 pm, and missed about 2 junctions to the Florida turnpike. The road signs here are god awful, but the roads are good, albeit very long....which is really not great when you've had no sleep and it's a 3 hour drive from the airport. Still, we arrived SAFE at 3 am. Very tired now mind.

any other foreign visitors to our country i would suggest that you do not go to walmart. it's not our best look.

california is worse with people not speaking english. at least if they were working at walmart they were here legally. the language thing never bothered me but i do get frustrated with calling certain companies and you get a foreign call center and their english is not good. :noclue:
hahha one of our call centres (or is that "centers") is in Greenock so even though they speak "English" their accents are so fucking strong, it's sometimes very difficult to understand what they're saying.... all of our major telcos use Indian and/or Malaysian call centres.. makes for a fun conversation.... sigh..

mockbee

#65 Post by mockbee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Go to Publix, like Artemis said. They have the best, best, best fried chicken. Might only be the Key West/Miami locations, but it was so surprisingly good. :nod:

Walmart
and deli counter should never be in the same sentence. :lol:

If you are looking for some cheap quick and decent food, I've always enjoyed the local Waffle House. A ton of waffles with butter and syrup and some runny fried eggs and bacon and a big plate of smothered hash browns and a big glass of orange juice and some coffee......mmmmmmmmmm.

Pandemonium

#66 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:41 pm

nausearockpig wrote:hahha one of our call centres (or is that "centers") is in Greenock so even though they speak "English" their accents are so fucking strong, it's sometimes very difficult to understand what they're saying.... all of our major telcos use Indian and/or Malaysian call centres.. makes for a fun conversation.... sigh..
A few months ago, I had to call the UK customer service for Amazon.com about a destroyed in transit package and it was very tough getting through the very sweet lady's thick English accent.

nausearockpig

#67 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:43 pm

mockbee wrote:If you are looking for some cheap quick and decent food, I've always enjoyed the local Waffle House. A ton of waffles with butter and syrup and some runny fried eggs and bacon and a big plate of smothered hash browns and a big glass of orange juice and some coffee......mmmmmmmmmm.
holy fuck that sounds awesome!

mockbee

#68 Post by mockbee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:27 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
mockbee wrote:If you are looking for some cheap quick and decent food, I've always enjoyed the local Waffle House. A ton of waffles with butter and syrup and some runny fried eggs and bacon and a big plate of smothered hash browns and a big glass of orange juice and some coffee......mmmmmmmmmm.
holy fuck that sounds awesome!

And it's dirt cheap. :wiggle:

nausearockpig

#69 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:34 pm

what's with the prices & calories showing up as xxx?

mockbee

#70 Post by mockbee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:40 pm

nausearockpig wrote:what's with the prices & calories showing up as xxx?
I don't see xxx???? :hs:

Maybe your country bans prices, so as to not incite a revolt for cheaper breakfasts....? :noclue: :lol:

nausearockpig

#71 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 pm

mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:what's with the prices & calories showing up as xxx?
I don't see xxx???? :hs:

Maybe your country bans prices, so as to not incite a revolt for cheaper breakfasts....? :noclue: :lol:
I think maybe you guys have no real currency anymore, and you just trade in left over cutouts from magazines and newspapers...

have a look at what I see Mr. X

Bandit72

#72 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:35 am

nausearockpig wrote:hahha one of our call centres (or is that "centers") is in Greenock so even though they speak "English" their accents are so fucking strong, it's sometimes very difficult to understand what they're saying.... all of our major telcos use Indian and/or Malaysian call centres.. makes for a fun conversation.... sigh..
Ha! My wife is from Greenock and trust me, even I have trouble understanding her on occasion :wink: Broad Scottish accents are not the easiest to understand sometimes!

Will keep an eye out for Waffle House. Yeh, we only went to Walmart cos it was close and convenient, albeit fucking massive.

Hype

#73 Post by Hype » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:12 am

On the no English point: the United States, unlike Canada, has no official language(s). So if enough people speak Spanish in a place, I guess it's the de facto official language of that part of the country.

Plus, like... Florida was Spanish for 300 years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Florida

Romeo

#74 Post by Romeo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:34 am

dear god....why would you take the FL Turnpike instead of 95?? It is looooooooooooooooong and boring and full of tolls!!!
And I imagine very dark at night! lol

And yes, outside of Florida politics & laws (which is god awful) it's a cool state. I could easily live there for the weather. Even the humid summers (humidity doesn't bother me)

And yes, the official language of Florida is Spanish :wink: My friend who lives outside of Miami and happens to be Puerto Rican (and fluent in Spanish) was amazed that no one speaks English by her and it annoyed her even though she speaks the language. I thought maybe she was exaggerating because she looks Spanish so they automatically speak to her in Spanish. Until I was stuck in the Miami airport for a few hours....I thought I was in Cuba! :lol:

Romeo

#75 Post by Romeo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:37 am

on edit I just looked where Davenport is, I see why you took the FL Turnpike :yikes: You're smack dab in the middle of the big penis!

Please go in either direction East or West and hit the beaches. Different flavor between the Gulf and the Ocean!