Who's been to/lives in Florida?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
MYXYLPLYX

Re: Who's been to/lives in Florida?

#26 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:23 pm

That's my daily commute... easy work around - I got a second transponder and linked it to my company credit card.

:noclue:

Romeo

#27 Post by Romeo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:40 pm

phsssssssssssst

that's nothing. To get out of NY over the Verrazano-Narrows it's $16.00 cash or $11.50 with a EZ-pass (your not charged coming from Staten Island back into Brooklyn, only going out)

mockbee

#28 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Romeo wrote: (your not charged coming from Staten Island back into Brooklyn, only going out)
That's weird. Usually they charge in the direction of more population, into the city. Brooklyn is BIG!

Maybe that is just the way it works so people don't go all around the boroughs to not get charged.

But you are always charged going into manhattan right? B or T?

$16....yikes. I would set up reimbursements for that one for sure.....

And lest anyone think this is off topic, anything having to do with nyc boroughs definitely has a direct relation to florida....... :hehe:

Bandit72

#29 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Artemis wrote:This site may be helpful to get toll info. I don't think the tolls will be more than $20.

There's a toll rate calculator in the link

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/
Cool, thanks Artemis. Will check it out.

Bandit72

#30 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:52 pm

mockbee wrote:toll roads are stupid.

We already paid for that, and if it's not enough, I think we can do with 5 less people standing around a hole while one person fixes it. And if it's still not enough, raise our taxes. :noclue:
I'd quite happy have toll roads over here if we didn't have to pay road tax. Which to be fair is free if you have a super duper low emission car. One of our motorways has a toll but no fucker uses it. They should just make it free.

Bandit72

#31 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:53 pm

mockbee wrote:toll roads are stupid.

We already paid for that, and if it's not enough, I think we can do with 5 less people standing around a hole while one person fixes it. And if it's still not enough, raise our taxes. :noclue:
I'd quite happy have toll roads over here if we didn't have to pay road tax. Which to be fair is free if you have a super duper low emission car. But the majority don't. One of our motorways has a toll but no fucker uses it. They should just make it free.

mockbee

#32 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:59 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:That's my daily commute... easy work around - I got a second transponder and linked it to my company credit card.

oh I thought you were in pacifica and worked in the City....? :hs:

You have to go all the way up to marin from pacifica everyday???

MYXYLPLYX

#33 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm

mockbee wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:That's my daily commute... easy work around - I got a second transponder and linked it to my company credit card.

Yep, San Rafael. :wave:

mockbee

#34 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:04 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
mockbee wrote:

Yep, San Rafael. :wave:
Ho-lee-crap! :lol:

i thought i had it bad when I was tunneling to Berkeley, and then bike five miles.

:wave:

I will say one thing. With a bicycle you can commute about anywhere in the bay area (in combo w/bart).

Marin is a tough nut to crack though.....to many rich people. :noclue:

Romeo

#35 Post by Romeo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:57 pm

mockbee wrote:
Romeo wrote: (your not charged coming from Staten Island back into Brooklyn, only going out)
That's weird. Usually they charge in the direction of more population, into the city. Brooklyn is BIG!

Maybe that is just the way it works so people don't go all around the boroughs to not get charged.

But you are always charged going into manhattan right? B or T?

$16....yikes. I would set up reimbursements for that one for sure.....

And lest anyone think this is off topic, anything having to do with nyc boroughs definitely has a direct relation to florida....... :hehe:
they do it because they don't want us to leave :lol:

Except when your taking the Lincoln & Holland tunnels, the George Washington, Bayonne & Goethals bridges, and the Outerbridge Crossing the tolls are collect coming into NY but not going into NJ
Andthose have a price tier system-Cash is $14, Peak EZ-Pass $11.75 and off peak EZ-Pass $9.75 (for cars)
:crazy:

mockbee

#36 Post by mockbee » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Romeo wrote: they do it because they don't want us to leave :lol:
:
:lol:
Romeo wrote: Crossing the tolls are collect coming into NY but not going into NJ

:crazy:
Send 'em all to Jersey! :lolol:

SR

#37 Post by SR » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:22 am

I've been in Miami since the end of March....leaving for the drive back with my wife on July 7th for 3 days in the keys, then to New Orleans, then a cross country adventure that takes us wherever we choose.

Miami is like no other place I've ever been too, with extreme excellence and deficiencies. It is the most vapid place on the planet with a population of very uneducated people. The drivers are the worst by far.....things like lanes, speed limits and pedestrian safety are ignored. The civil engineering is abysmal creating traffic jams and bottlenecks that could have been easily by simple common sense by anyone who put just a quark of thought into it.

The topography of the city is breathtaking. and the beaches are drop dead gorgeous with water that is baptismal.

All in all, I can't wait to get out of here

mockbee

#38 Post by mockbee » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:58 am

miami is a weirdly intriguing place to spend a couple days........but no more than that.

the art deco stuff on miami beach is stunning, and love little havana. The food is fantastic.

Make sure you stop in Bahia Honda Beach State Park in the keys, almost to Key West (a must). I remember snorkeling there and a school of huge fish started circling me, like hundreds of them as big as I was, it was really weird, scary and cool.

SR

#39 Post by SR » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:11 am

Shall do bee!

Pandemonium

#40 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:40 am

SR wrote:I've been in Miami since the end of March....leaving for the drive back with my wife on July 7th for 3 days in the keys, then to New Orleans, then a cross country adventure that takes us wherever we choose.

Miami is like no other place I've ever been too, with extreme excellence and deficiencies. It is the most vapid place on the planet with a population of very uneducated people. The drivers are the worst by far.....things like lanes, speed limits and pedestrian safety are ignored. The civil engineering is abysmal creating traffic jams and bottlenecks that could have been easily by simple common sense by anyone who put just a quark of thought into it.

The topography of the city is breathtaking. and the beaches are drop dead gorgeous with water that is baptismal.

All in all, I can't wait to get out of here
Yeah, I was only in Miami for a couple days for my cousin's wedding but my impression was it's a nice place to visit for a short period of time but no way in hell would I want to live there. The bathrooms on the beaches are great sources of reading material though....

Bandit72

#41 Post by Bandit72 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:43 pm

Excellent, I'm not doing Miami. Tampa is a possibility? I hope I see some decent 'wild' life. After all, why is every single pool covered in a mesh? Or are the flies just BIG?

Romeo

#42 Post by Romeo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:20 am

I love the old architecture of Miami Beach. The old Art Deco style hotels. And for a time during the transition when it was just artists, old people and homosexuals it was a fun place

Sadly the euro-trash ruined it.

FYI the Leslie exterior was used as "The Birdcage" in the movie

Pandemonium

#43 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:39 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Excellent, I'm not doing Miami. Tampa is a possibility? I hope I see some decent 'wild' life. After all, why is every single pool covered in a mesh? Or are the flies just BIG?
The coolest wildlife in Florida is the alligators and manatees. Pretty much anywhere there's swamps, ditches, brush, you can find a gator. Especially driving the highways between Miami up through Jacksonville, you'll see one every so often either in or near one of the small ponds on the side of the road or even trying to cross the highway. Manatees are more common in Southern Florida and they often hang out in the canals and harbors. A friend who I lost touch with years ago was a rocket inspector at the Cape who had a house on a canal at Satellite Beach with their yard backing in the canal with a little dock and they had a particular manatee that hung out around there all the time because everyone would feed it heads of lettuce ( a big no-no, btw). Armadillos are supposedly abundant there but I have never seen one in the wild. I've never had a bug problem there but I've always gone January - April - never been there during Summer (which would probably be miserable).

Oh yeah, the Atlantic side of Florida's beaches is the shark attack capital of the world.

Bandit72

#44 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:57 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Excellent, I'm not doing Miami. Tampa is a possibility? I hope I see some decent 'wild' life. After all, why is every single pool covered in a mesh? Or are the flies just BIG?
The coolest wildlife in Florida is the alligators and manatees. Pretty much anywhere there's swamps, ditches, brush, you can find a gator. Especially driving the highways between Miami up through Jacksonville, you'll see one every so often either in or near one of the small ponds on the side of the road or even trying to cross the highway. Manatees are more common in Southern Florida and they often hang out in the canals and harbors. A friend who I lost touch with years ago was a rocket inspector at the Cape who had a house on a canal at Satellite Beach with their yard backing in the canal with a little dock and they had a particular manatee that hung out around there all the time because everyone would feed it heads of lettuce ( a big no-no, btw). Armadillos are supposedly abundant there but I have never seen one in the wild. I've never had a bug problem there but I've always gone January - April - never been there during Summer (which would probably be miserable).

Oh yeah, the Atlantic side of Florida's beaches is the shark attack capital of the world.
Sharks are my favourite fish/animal (are fish classed as animals?) I guessed it's pretty bad that side. I hope I do see some gators. I know it'll be pretty hot end of July, and I've heard the rain is warm when it does rain. I've also heard Clearwater has the best beaches to go to. Although we're going primarily for the children, we won't spend all our time doing stuff specifically for them. They'll be happy exploring different places that's not Disney or Legoland. I think I mentioned befor I'd like to go to Canaveral. I also want a big fat American car with like 20 seats and a 10 litre engine. :wiggle:

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:03 am

are fish classed as animals?
:lol: This made my morning.

Artemis

#46 Post by Artemis » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:16 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

Sharks are my favourite fish/animal (are fish classed as animals?) I guessed it's pretty bad that side. I hope I do see some gators. I know it'll be pretty hot end of July, and I've heard the rain is warm when it does rain. I've also heard Clearwater has the best beaches to go to. Although we're going primarily for the children, we won't spend all our time doing stuff specifically for them. They'll be happy exploring different places that's not Disney or Legoland. I think I mentioned befor I'd like to go to Canaveral. I also want a big fat American car with like 20 seats and a 10 litre engine. :wiggle:
Yes, Clearwater beach is very nice. :nod:
Something that may interest you is the Clearwater Marine Aquarium

http://www.seewinter.com/visit?gclid=CP ... aQodr1oANw

There's a couple of good shopping malls in Clearwater too. If you're looking for some "back to school" clothes for the kids, you can find some great buys. I don't typically shop when I go on holidays, but I would recommend it if you have time for it. When I used to go to my parents condo there, I always came back with a good haul of shoes and clothing.

You might see some Burmese pythons when you're there. :scared:

http://www.ibtimes.com/pulse/florida-py ... ol-1902029

Bandit72

#47 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:44 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
are fish classed as animals?
:lol: This made my morning.
I always aim to please you :wink:

Bandit72

#48 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:00 am

Artemis wrote:Yes, Clearwater beach is very nice. :nod:
Something that may interest you is the Clearwater Marine Aquarium

http://www.seewinter.com/visit?gclid=CP ... aQodr1oANw

There's a couple of good shopping malls in Clearwater too. If you're looking for some "back to school" clothes for the kids, you can find some great buys. I don't typically shop when I go on holidays, but I would recommend it if you have time for it. When I used to go to my parents condo there, I always came back with a good haul of shoes and clothing.

You might see some Burmese pythons when you're there. :scared:

http://www.ibtimes.com/pulse/florida-py ... ol-1902029

Wicked, thanks.

mockbee

#49 Post by mockbee » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:39 am

Kill em!

They eat the birds...........and EVERYTHING THAT MOVES AND IS SMALLER THAN A DEER (or I should say horse.........)! :no:

Bandit72

#50 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:54 am

I only kill flies and mosquitoes.