Perry Farrell Talks New Mystery Project, Kurt Cobain Meeting

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hype

Re: Perry Farrell Talks New Mystery Project, Kurt Cobain Mee

#101 Post by Hype » Thu May 28, 2015 7:12 am

Paul is by far the best
... Given your tolerance for Perry Farrell over the last decade, I'm not surprised by this at all. It makes so much sense.

Romeo

#102 Post by Romeo » Thu May 28, 2015 8:33 am

The Beatles were a far bigger deal than landing on the moon

Yea because global positioning devices, communication and weather satellites and learning everything we need to know about the universe is far less important than the Beatles

bman

#103 Post by bman » Thu May 28, 2015 8:49 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Paul is by far the best
... Given your tolerance for Perry Farrell over the last decade, I'm not surprised by this at all. It makes so much sense.
:wink:

bman

#104 Post by bman » Thu May 28, 2015 9:06 am

Hey Jude, along with Sympathy for the Devil, are the probably the two greatest Rock n Roll songs ever written. That's my humble opinion, but I also spray painted Twisted Sister and Van Halen logos all over my grade school when I was 10!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvHsTQUA2SE

Hype

#105 Post by Hype » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am

Hey Jude is a great song, though not exactly rock'n'roll... But that doesn't mean Paul isn't the worst Beatle. Yesterday's also an incredible song.

But the fucker also wrote Ob-La Di Ob-La Da. :lol:
According to studio engineer Geoff Emerick, John Lennon "openly and vocally detested" the song, calling it Paul's "granny music shit". Lennon left the studio during a recording of the song (after several days and literally dozens of takes of the song, trying different tempos and styles), then returned while under the influence of marijuana, went immediately to the piano and played the opening chords much louder and faster than before. He claimed that was how the song should be played, and that is the version they ended up using.

Matz

#106 Post by Matz » Thu May 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

:lol: that's what I hate the most about Beatles, those fuckin circus songs like that one and others...

sinep

#107 Post by sinep » Thu May 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Farrell says it's not a Jane's Addiction project, but that the band will "test-pilot" it and it will launch within a year. "We will be breaking ground," Farrell says. "It's very music-centric, but it is inclusive of technology, film, theater and even the gastronomic arts. It's going to be the greatest thing I've ever done."
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS.

JOEinPHX

#108 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 28, 2015 7:15 pm

sinep wrote:
Farrell says it's not a Jane's Addiction project, but that the band will "test-pilot" it and it will launch within a year. "We will be breaking ground," Farrell says. "It's very music-centric, but it is inclusive of technology, film, theater and even the gastronomic arts. It's going to be the greatest thing I've ever done."
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS.
I just realized what he's doing.

DINNER THEATER.

guysmiley

#109 Post by guysmiley » Thu May 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Hey Jude is a great song, though not exactly rock'n'roll... But that doesn't mean Paul isn't the worst Beatle. Yesterday's also an incredible song.

According to studio engineer Geoff Emerick, John Lennon "openly and vocally detested" the song, calling it Paul's "granny music shit". Lennon left the studio during a recording of the song (after several days and literally dozens of takes of the song, trying different tempos and styles), then returned while under the influence of marijuana, went immediately to the piano and played the opening chords much louder and faster than before. He claimed that was how the song should be played, and that is the version they ended up using.
I loved the Beatles when I was younger. But, fuck, some of Paul's songs are awful. Actually Japan is starting to make me hate them. I don't want to, but every conversation that follows after someone finds out I play music is, "do you know the Beatles?". Their everywhere here and I'm tired of hearing it all the time. One venue I play at is a Beatles themed bar, which is way over the top. Even the kick drum has the Beatles logo. :jasper: :crazy:

Yeah, fuck Perry. Over and out.

Pandemonium

#110 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 28, 2015 10:55 pm

For us old fucks, it's always been Beatles vs Rolling Stones and I'm a Stones guy. That said, I think it's insane to claim The Beatles don't have a large number of great songs in their catalog and considering the time they were putting out music, they were way ahead of the curve and a gigantic influence on just about every facet of pop/rock music that followed, good and bad. In a lot of cases, some of their landmark albums imo are vastly over rated like say Sgt Peppers because the half of the songs on that album are so great, they overshadow the other songs which are... crap. Same with the White album.

bman

#111 Post by bman » Fri May 29, 2015 4:00 am

I still love the Beatles and this thread has got me on a little kick now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTU2Y0VFH0E

Larry B.

#112 Post by Larry B. » Sat May 30, 2015 6:10 am

I only started liking The Beatles when I studied music. They were so important for the develoment of pop music, rock, metal, shit pop, world music, and so many others. They were ahead of their time not because they were geniuses, but because they were encouraged to do whatever the hell they wanted. Want to loop a tape? Sure. I am the eggman? Why not. Number 9? Alright. Unnecessary Italian? Throw that in there.

To me, the greatest band ever, regardless of how much I dislike their early albums.

Tyler Durden

#113 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 30, 2015 8:36 am

Pandemonium wrote:For us old fucks, it's always been Beatles vs Rolling Stones and I'm a Stones guy. That said, I think it's insane to claim The Beatles don't have a large number of great songs in their catalog and considering the time they were putting out music, they were way ahead of the curve and a gigantic influence on just about every facet of pop/rock music that followed, good and bad. In a lot of cases, some of their landmark albums imo are vastly over rated like say Sgt Peppers because the half of the songs on that album are so great, they overshadow the other songs which are... crap. Same with the White album.
THIS.

Seriously, even if someone isn't into The Beatles, how can anyone shit on them (as far as being an mammoth influence, cultural phenomenon, and leaving a huge, diverse legacy in just 7 years)?

How could anyone not like these songs:

Tyler Durden

#114 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 30, 2015 8:37 am

Oh, and by the way...OJ is innocent!

Bandit72

#115 Post by Bandit72 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:How could anyone not like these songs:
Quite possibly the most ridiculous question anyone could ask.

JOEinPHX

#116 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 30, 2015 1:44 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
How could anyone not like these songs:
They sound terrible... Like they were recorded in the 1950s or 1960s, for starters.

kv

#117 Post by kv » Sat May 30, 2015 4:00 pm

wow

JOEinPHX

#118 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Yeah those Beatles guys really need to update their equipment.

Pandemonium

#119 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Yeah those Beatles guys really need to update their equipment.
Then they'd just be U2.

JOEinPHX

#120 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 30, 2015 10:35 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Then they'd just be U2.
Dear god, I don't even want to know what it would sound like if those hippies had access to digital delay.

Larry B.

#121 Post by Larry B. » Sun May 31, 2015 1:24 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Then they'd just be U2.
Dear god, I don't even want to know what it would sound like if those hippies had access to digital delay.
Not bad at all, actually. At least not Lennon:

JOEinPHX

#122 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun May 31, 2015 4:20 pm

Fucking Tame Impala. :banghead:

Mescal

#123 Post by Mescal » Sun May 31, 2015 10:25 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Fucking Tame Impala. :banghead:
I liked their first album, it got pretty boring pretty fast after that

Hype

#124 Post by Hype » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:00 am

Mescal wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Fucking Tame Impala. :banghead:
I liked their first album, it got pretty boring pretty fast after that
That's because they aren't called "Wild Impala". :kv:

panicparty

#125 Post by panicparty » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:25 am

The Beatles: A pretty big deal back in the day, but nowadays people are listening to their music and a lot of them are wondering what the big deal is? How are / were people so passionate about music which is maybe great in places, but pretty weak a lot of the rest of the time?

Well, maybe it's not actually that much about the music itself? Maybe it's about that band, at that moment in time and the cultural impact they had? Maybe it could have been any one of a number of bands doing what they were doing at the time, but they were the four guys who found themselves in right place, at the right time and what they did, with what (maybe somewhat limited) talent they had, just struck a chord with the kids at the right moment.

Listening to the music on its own, without the context in which it arose, is maybe ultimately futile? You'll never "get" the Beatles unless you lived through that period in history, and experienced what the Beatles brought against a backdrop of what was available on the radio and in the record stores before they brought it?

Maybe some or all of the above also applies to Jane's Addiction? (oops, sorry to bring things back 'on topic')?