Props to Shauna Hunt for calling out these assholes

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Props to Shauna Hunt for calling out these assholes

#1 Post by Artemis » Tue May 12, 2015 3:32 pm

:rockon: The loser got fired by his company Hydro One for violating the "Code of Conbduct" rules.

Hydro One firing employee involved in vulgar incident at Toronto FC game
Men who shouted at CityNews reporter will be barred from all MLSE events for at least a year.

Hydro One is firing a Sunshine List employee involved in a vulgar incident with a CityNews reporter at Sunday’s Toronto FC game.
“Regarding the incident at the Toronto FC game between a (CityNews) reporter and fans, Hydro One is taking steps to terminate the employee involved for violating our Code of Conduct,” said Daffyd Roderick, director, corporate affairs for Hydro One.
“Respect for all people is engrained in the Code of Conduct and in our Core Values and we are committed to a work environment where discrimination or harassment of any type is met with zero tolerance.”
Roderick identified the employee as Shawn Simoes, an assistant network management engineer who made $106,510.50 a year
Earlier today, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment said the Toronto FC fans involved in the incident will be banned for “at least” a year.
CityNews reporter Shauna Hunt confronted several men on Sunday while she was outside of a Toronto FC game. While recording a standup for her report, a number of men shouted the phrase “F--- her right in the p----!”
The camera kept rolling as video shows she confronted some of the men who had shouted at her, as well as a group of men standing behind her waiting for their chance to do the same.
Simoes, the employee being fired by Hydro One, did not shout the previously mentioned phrase, but did speak to Hunt on camera after the incident occured. “It is f---ing hilarious,” he told the reporter.
“We’re appalled that this trend of disrespectful behaviour would make its way to our city, let alone anywhere near our stadium,” MLSE said in a statement. “‎We are working to identify the individuals, and when we do they will be banned from all of our facilities.”
The disturbing trend of shouting a vulgar phrase into a journalist’s microphone – typically a female journalist, often while she is live on air – has happened to reporters in various cities across North America.
“Moving forward, we will also work with our local television outlets to provide extra security support to female reporters doing live hits at any of our games,” continued MLSE’s statement.
“Our organization is committed to an environment where everyone can feel safe and included and discrimination or intolerance of any kind will be met with a swift and serious response. We’re thankful to our vast majority of fans for standing up against such sexist behaviour and working with us to help prevent it in the future.”
Growing visibly frustrated, Hunt eventually confronted some of the men after they shouted at her.
“Can I ask why you would want to say something like that?” she asked one.
“I feel like it’s quite substantial,” he said.
She asked another man how his mother would feel if she knew he spoke like that, to which the man responded, “Oh, my mom would die laughing, eventually.”
While the “FHRITP” trend is vulgar, it could also be illegal.
“So far none of the reporters want charges laid,” said Const. Victor Kwong of the Toronto police. “Bottom line is, if the reporters did want to file a report with us, they absolutely can.”
In Calgary, police have issued a statement to broadcasters that the activity constitutes grounds for a charge and arrest.
“We haven’t taken it as far as what Calgary has done because in Calgary apparently it was quite rampant and quite common,” Kwong said.
Kingston police said in a tweet on Tuesday morning, “Our media partners should not have to deal with #FHRITP. Cause Disturbance seems to apply.”
Causing disturbance is a Criminal Code offence which includes “fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language,” in a public place.
Toronto police spokeswoman Meaghan Gray said that they are familiar with the phenomenon.
“Certainly if we did have a complainant come forward we would work with the employer to investigate the incident and depending on the outcome of that investigation, would determine what if any charges would be appropriate,” said Gray.
She says that it would be difficult to speculate on any one particular charge, as it would depend on the exact nature of the incident and subsequent investigation.
“You could be looking at mischief, you could be looking at breach of the peace, you could be looking at sexual harassment, you could be looking at assault,” Gray said.
“I wouldn’t want to put a number on it, but it’s happening more and more often,” she said.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Props to Shauna Hunt for calling out these assholes

#2 Post by creep » Tue May 12, 2015 5:08 pm

yeah the guy is an idiot but he shouldn't have been fired. people shouldn't lose their jobs for saying stupid shit while not at work. :essence:

kv

#3 Post by kv » Tue May 12, 2015 5:23 pm

code of conduct..he signed it..it's shitty he lost his job over a drunk day off but he signed it :noclue:

blackcoffee

#4 Post by blackcoffee » Wed May 13, 2015 1:49 pm

creep wrote:yeah the guy is an idiot but he shouldn't have been fired. people shouldn't lose their jobs for saying stupid shit while not at work. :essence:

Saying stupid things is one thing. Saying shitty things into a microphone is something else. Any employee who saw that, and would then have to work next to him? Makes for a very uncomfortable work environment.

I had a British colleague once use the N word to describe one of our Italian-American colleagues because his skin got dark in the summer time. He kept reiterating that he wasn't being racist but, blah, blah blah. This was a man in his 50s. I never looked at him the same way again. Eventually he was briefly my manager, and I so wished I'd properly called him out on it when it happened. I did call him out, but I should have gone further and let HR deal with it.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Wed May 13, 2015 3:46 pm

This is a "thing." It's not like it was directed at her. People have been yelling this out if a camera is rolling for a couple years now. There are entire compilations on youtube. This article makes it seem like she was being harrassed.

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Wed May 13, 2015 4:22 pm

hokahey wrote:This is a "thing." It's not like it was directed at her. People have been yelling this out if a camera is rolling for a couple years now. There are entire compilations on youtube. This article makes it seem like she was being harrassed.
She was being harassed, regardless of whether it's a "thing" or not. It's like the last stupid fad, the "Knock Out Game" where kids target a random someone and try to knock them out with one punch. Granted, it's just harsh language and not getting your face punched when you get down to it but it's on the same level as making racial slurs against say, a black reporter who is in the middle of conducting an interview. What makes it more obnoxious is these guys are (or at least should be) at an age where they've outgrown this kind of stupid, childish behavior in Jr High School.

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Wed May 13, 2015 4:42 pm

where does six7 work? let's tell his employer that he called etty a cunt and get him fired. :essence:

kv

#8 Post by kv » Wed May 13, 2015 4:56 pm

his job prob didn't sign that shit

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Thu May 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
hokahey wrote:This is a "thing." It's not like it was directed at her. People have been yelling this out if a camera is rolling for a couple years now. There are entire compilations on youtube. This article makes it seem like she was being harrassed.
She was being harassed, regardless of whether it's a "thing" or not. It's like the last stupid fad, the "Knock Out Game" where kids target a random someone and try to knock them out with one punch. Granted, it's just harsh language and not getting your face punched when you get down to it but it's on the same level as making racial slurs against say, a black reporter who is in the middle of conducting an interview. What makes it more obnoxious is these guys are (or at least should be) at an age where they've outgrown this kind of stupid, childish behavior in Jr High School.
I just don't get this degree of sensitivity. They would have done it with a male reporter. The joke is to yell that when a camera is live to get something inappropriate on air. Go look it up. It's not about harrassment.

perkana

#10 Post by perkana » Fri May 15, 2015 6:53 am

My 2 cents, they should have stopped when she complained. If someone is fine with this 'joke', I would have no problem. But she wasn't comfortable, she didn't have to be a 'good sport' about it.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Fri May 15, 2015 1:35 pm

I havent watched the video, for whatever its worth. Usually posting here when I have a few quick minutes.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Sat May 16, 2015 7:27 am

Ok. Video just reaffirms my opinion. As they said, it has nothing to do with her. It's just a really lame joke. Man oh man people are sensitive.

perkana

#13 Post by perkana » Sat May 16, 2015 8:03 am

I disagree (as I guess a lot of women do) http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/m ... st-remarks

MYXYLPLYX

#14 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sat May 16, 2015 9:15 am

hokahey wrote:Ok. Video just reaffirms my opinion. As they said, it has nothing to do with her. It's just a really lame joke. Man oh man people are sensitive.
Not even a legit viral thing... it's a stupid hoax that dumb bros bought in to: http://gawker.com/creator-of-fuck-her-r ... 1677160604

Sure, if there is utterly zero context for the words then one could pretend that they aren't harassment, but we live in a world where women live in constant fear of rape/sexual assault/domestic violence based simply on their gender.

So, yeah, screaming that in a woman's face carries with it a little more baggage then mere douchebags being stupid fucking losers... :noclue:

Also, it stands to reason that an employer wouldn't want an employee to be seen acting egregiously by customers/vendors/staff because it seriously undermines their reputation and the employee's ability to command respect with those parties.

clickie

#15 Post by clickie » Sun May 17, 2015 5:59 am

There isnt any time or place its ok to yell that out loud.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Sun May 17, 2015 8:02 am

Still disagree. It's just general douche baggery of a pretty benign nature. She clearly didn't feel threatened or scared as she pursued further engagement with them.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#17 Post by Hokahey » Sun May 17, 2015 8:06 am

By the way, if you watch YouTube compilations of this, the reporter is usually male when this gets yelled. It has zero to do with gender or the literal meaning of what's being said. It is about getting inappropriate language on live TV. That's it. Nothing more. And to turn something this stupid (which it is) in to a feminist issue degrades the larger cause.

clickie

#18 Post by clickie » Sun May 17, 2015 8:36 am

Thats another thing, it isnt any less disrespectful towards woman if youre saying it to a man.

perkana

#19 Post by perkana » Sun May 17, 2015 8:45 am

:nod:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#20 Post by Hokahey » Sun May 17, 2015 11:43 am

They're not saying it to anyone in particular. It's the equivalent of screaming shitcumfuckpiss. It has nothing to do with the literal meaning of what's being said. Even if it did, is there something wrong with fucking a girl right in her pussy?

Are they also yelling "and do it without consent?"

clickie

#21 Post by clickie » Sun May 17, 2015 12:00 pm

I doubt everyone who hollers out "fuck her iright n the pussy" has innocent intentions.

mockbee

#22 Post by mockbee » Sun May 17, 2015 12:08 pm

The sanctity of words. It's what makes us human.

"you" "her" "him" "women" "_fill in race here_" makes it personal regardless of the intention.

I agree, those guys were way out of line.

:hs:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#23 Post by Hokahey » Sun May 17, 2015 2:01 pm

clickie wrote:I doubt everyone who hollers out "fuck her iright n the pussy" has innocent intentions.
And I'm betting you're wrong. It's a stupid live tv "joke."

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Sun May 17, 2015 2:04 pm

mockbee wrote:The sanctity of words. It's what makes us human.

"you" "her" "him" "women" "_fill in race here_" makes it personal regardless of the intention.

Do you honestly think that what they were saying was directed at the reporter? Is everyone here over 50? Is anyone previously familiar with this phrase and it's use?

mockbee

#25 Post by mockbee » Sun May 17, 2015 2:34 pm

hokahey wrote:
mockbee wrote:The sanctity of words. It's what makes us human.

Do you honestly think that what they were saying was directed at the reporter? Is everyone here over 50? Is anyone previously familiar with this phrase and it's use?
I suppose you are trying to argue that what that guy said is equivalent to saying "fuck you", a common phrase understood by all to not literally mean 'fuck you' just saying something along the lines of "you asshole, I hate you."
Well, I was not familiar with whatever this 'game' is, and it doesn't seem the reporter was either, so yeah, I'd argue not equivalent to saying FU, though is that any better....? Why is that okay in your mind? I'm not saying without a doubt that guy had to be canned, but he had to know that what he said on live tv, drunk or not, had the potential for serious repercussions.

What is it exactly that you are trying to argue hokahey?