R.I.P. B.B. King

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
guysmiley

R.I.P. B.B. King

#1 Post by guysmiley » Fri May 15, 2015 9:09 am

Shitty. Never got to see him. I found this record in my roommates parents record collection that we took, and I fell in love with his music. Got me through a lot of nights of heartbreak. Unmistakable phrasing and licks. Great voice.

Artemis

Re: R.I.P. B.B. King

#2 Post by Artemis » Fri May 15, 2015 10:43 am

Another ' king ' of the music world gone...RIP.

I was fortunate to see B.B. King twice. Once in the 80s and again in the 90s with Jonny Lang.

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 15, 2015 11:32 am

He came to Chile a few years ago and I read it was terrible. He looked as if he didn't want to be there but his sons (!?) sort of forced him to play. There were hundreds who asked for their money back after the show.

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Fri May 15, 2015 11:59 am

Larry B. wrote:He came to Chile a few years ago and I read it was terrible. He looked as if he didn't want to be there but his sons (!?) sort of forced him to play. There were hundreds who asked for their money back after the show.
Yeah, there's a bunch of really sad YouTube clips of many shows from the past few years where he's clearly unable to carry a show and shouldn't have been touring.

I only saw him once, when he toured with Stevie Ray Vaughan in late Summer of '89 (almost exactly a year before SRV died) just before he was going to go to Europe to open for U2's Rattle and Hum tour. King and his band played a version of "When Loves Comes To Town" that had so much more energy and punch then the U2/King album version, it was pretty impressive. My wife told me she took care of their horses in the late 70's in Chicago and helped teach his kids to ride (I guess King had a *lot* of kids, lol) and she said King was a really nice guy, "a sweetheart." It's remarkable that he lived to 89 being a diabetic for well over twenty years although it appears complications from the disease are what killed him.

perkana

#5 Post by perkana » Fri May 15, 2015 7:44 pm

I saw him in a show with Chuck Berry and Ray Charles back in the 90's. The whole thing lasted like 4 hours and no one wanted to leave.

SR

#6 Post by SR » Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 am

Saw him just last year opening for Frampton. It was sad.