Spring/Summer 2015 tour...

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

Spring/Summer 2015 tour...

#1 Post by bman » Wed May 13, 2015 9:59 pm

So, for those who care, I'm going to 3 of the NY area JA shows. I just returned from the 1st one at Brooklyn Bowl. Gotta admit, pretty unimpressed. How many times can these guys just show up 5 minutes before a tour and expect to be good? I mean the sound is fine. They are professional. But it just seems so fake. Even Perry is joking how they haven't seen eachother in long time blah blah blah.

I realize the band doesn't set ticket prices, but you can't show up in Brooklyn, at a $125 per ticket gig, and just go through the motions. B/C that's what it felt like. Navarro plays everything note for note, exactly like the CD. Yes he's good. But he's a note for note player, not an artist. Perry is still kind of a ring master but phoning it in. Chaney ..(was he even there)..Perkins is still great. I just wish he'd tell the rest of the band to be a band again.

beach, ocean, dad, ted, shower, summer, mnt, idiots, jane, pigs, bcs, just b/c, three days, stop.

etty on stage with other chick for 3 days. They were off too! Basically it was the same exact show they've been doing, just $125 to see it this time!

bman

Re: Spring/Summer 2015 tour...

#2 Post by bman » Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 pm

I take all the above back. Why do I keep expecting more out of a nostalgia act. The problem is not them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YQFn-c0FVw
The Three Days in this video reminds me of Rush.

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed May 13, 2015 11:03 pm

:lolol:

kv

#4 Post by kv » Thu May 14, 2015 12:43 am

wow :crazy:

how long can they do this? oh about as long as you keep going :dunce:

etty thanks you...you bought about 1/2 of a shoe for her! :jasper:

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Thu May 14, 2015 2:50 am

it's so obvious that this band doesn't give a shit.

sad

blackula

#6 Post by blackula » Thu May 14, 2015 3:31 am

How was the crowd? Was the place packed? I know a few people that usually see Jane's whenever they play NY but were turned off by the $125 ticket price. Glad I skipped this, even the mini set after playing NS is identical to all the other NS shows. Lame

bman

#7 Post by bman » Thu May 14, 2015 5:46 am

I forgot to mention the Suspension Girls during Stop too! Yet again!

It was a pretty full venue. Small place. I thought it was sold out but you could still get tickets on the website yesterday. I'm probably being overly harsh. I'll try to find some reviews from non diehards!

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Thu May 14, 2015 5:50 am

since this band is just a money making machine now i don't get why they still do the suspension and have a girl travel with them to dance on one song. seems like a waste of money to me. :noclue:

bman

#9 Post by bman » Thu May 14, 2015 6:35 am

Oh yeah and their hatred for playing Thank You Boys still confuses me! I think what bothers me most about Jane's is that I still care. I still get amped up and jittery for these shows. Yet they pretty much phone it in now. I feel like I see Perry and Dave kind of laughing to each other like, "Here we go, let's fool the fans again"

Everybody's Friend

#10 Post by Everybody's Friend » Thu May 14, 2015 6:35 am

bman wrote:
Their overpriced show sucks!

I'm paying to see it three times...

:balls:
Bman logic. :lolol:

Romeo

#11 Post by Romeo » Thu May 14, 2015 7:54 am

bman wrote:Oh yeah and their hatred for playing Thank You Boys still confuses me! I think what bothers me most about Jane's is that I still care. I still get amped up and jittery for these shows. Yet they pretty much phone it in now. I feel like I see Perry and Dave kind of laughing to each other like, "Here we go, let's fool the fans again"
you remind me of an abused spouse.

You keep going back expecting change just to get beat up again

bman

#12 Post by bman » Thu May 14, 2015 8:02 am

no its like end stage addiction when an addict can't help himself but hates it when he uses! It wasn't terrible it was just like, whatever. Nothing really stood out at all.

Beach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfpbRMjLbPQ
Three Days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ41nmQxKKM
Stop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEbWmeoNbzw

bman

#13 Post by bman » Thu May 14, 2015 8:21 am

This review nails it really. It just seemed like something was missing (Avery).
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/20 ... ooklyn.php

Jane's Addiction Go Vintage With 'Nothing's Shocking' at Brooklyn Bowl

By Jill Menze Thu., May 14 2015 at 10:23 AM

Write Comment

Categories: Alternative, Concert Reviews

janes-addiction-robert-menzer.jpg
Robert Menzer for The Village Voice
Perry Farrel of Jane's Addiction gets up close and personal with the crowd at Brooklyn Bowl
Nostalgic rock fans in New York had a tough choice between concerts last night: Night one of metal heroes Faith No More at Webster Hall, or alt-rock gods Jane's Addiction at Brooklyn Bowl. Those who opted for the latter had a chance to see a rare Jane's performance of their landmark 1988 album Nothing's Shocking in full at the uncharacteristically small venue, a night that would serve as a welcomed throwback from rock's greatest that lacked a little panache.

Since the band's early days performing in Los Angeles clubs, Jane's Addiction has been notorious for their debauched, hedonistic live spectacles. Brooklyn Bowl felt tame in comparison, the only real exploitation coming in the form of a shirtless (and seemingly ageless) guitarist Dave Navarro and the appearance of two scantily clad dancers toward the end. Which was all well and good in regard to focusing on the music, but the band performed almost as if it was missing an element of fun. Frontman Perry Farrell in particular appeared rather unaffected, taking about half the set to finally feel like he was letting loose. Maybe they're older; maybe they don't care as much; maybe they were stoned. Theatrics (or lack thereof) aside, Jane's Addiction are still rock stars of the highest caliber, and they're not about to let you forget it.

Always one for flamboyance, Farrell donned a flamingo jacket as the group — whose ever-evolving lineup has settled on Farrell, Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Chris Chaney — and kicked off the show with the lumbering bass of Nothing's Shocking's opener "Up the Beach." Navarro's guitar caught fire on the expansive "Ocean Size," which Farrell segued into an anecdote about his dad being from Bensonhurst before the punk-rock kick of "Had a Dad."

dave-navarro-robert-menzer.jpg
Robert Menzer for The Village Voice
Dave Navarro of Jane's Addiction in all his topless, shredding glory

The shape-shifting "Ted, Just Admit It..." saw Farrell working up the crowd to an epic "Sex Is Violent" chant, while the more somber tone of "Summertime Rolls" (which Farrell introduced with a dig at Williamsburg kickball leagues) was the perfect prep for show highlight "Mountain Song." Here is where Farrell truly came alive, the full band giving the massive song its due. Perkins' thundering drums, Navarro's electric shred — this was peak Jane's and the moment to top.

For fan favorite "Jane Says," Perkins came out from behind the kit to play the song's signature steel drums, while album-closer "Pigs in Zen" ended Nothing's Shocking on a quintessential hard-rock note.

To appease later-era Jane's fans, the rest of the set touched on songs like "Just Because" and the always-great "Been Caught Stealing." Now the dancers were on stage, piquing Farrell's interest and wielding red swords.

The trip down memory lane was the first of a handful of shows Jane's Addiction is playing to commemorate Nothing's Shocking. As the warm-up, the Brooklyn Bowl show was a nostalgic treat but left fans wanting just a little more from a band that's capable of such greatness. With all the breakups, reunions and sparse touring, will we see a new Jane's in the near future? Let's hope so. We're not done with Sergio.

intertwoven

#14 Post by intertwoven » Thu May 14, 2015 8:38 am

Fuck Nothing's Shocking at this point. They should be celebrating (cashing in on) the 25th anniversary of Ritual. But that would require a couple rehearsals, so of course they're too lazy and just keep flogging NS (though didn't they advertise "last time playing it!" last time they toured?)

bman

#15 Post by bman » Thu May 14, 2015 8:45 am

Yeah Ritual would require a couple of rehearsals. They obviously don't have time :lol:

blackula

#16 Post by blackula » Thu May 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Lol, "wielding red swords" ??

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 14, 2015 5:32 pm

creep wrote:since this band is just a money making machine now i don't get why they still do the suspension and have a girl travel with them to dance on one song. seems like a waste of money to me. :noclue:
Any money Etty is paid is more money that goes to the Farrell household.

I would almost be willing to bet that the profits are split by percentage for this simple reason.

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 14, 2015 5:33 pm

bman wrote: I feel like I see Perry and Dave kind of laughing to each other like, "Here we go, let's fool bman again"
Fixed.

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 14, 2015 5:39 pm

bman wrote:Now the dancers were on stage, piquing Farrell's interest and wielding red swords.

bman

#20 Post by bman » Thu May 14, 2015 7:09 pm

I know what my issue with the show last night was. The band is always tight. Dave, Perk and Chaney are always pretty spot on. What makes a really good Janes show as opposed to an average stop gap show is whether Perry is into or not. Perry seemed a bit tired or not so into last night. Not a whole lot of jumping around or being a part of the congregation.
That's what was missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfT9-UVtjvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdeMDGjlCDc

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Perry is an old man that can't sing and can no longer entertain. Put a fork in him, he's done.

Wicky Wicky done. Done done. GET YOUR HANDS UP! Wicky wicky done. Oontz oontz doof doof doof. Done duh-duh-duh-duh-done. Done. Oontz oontz doof doof. DONE. :aoa:

intertwoven

#22 Post by intertwoven » Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 pm

He needs to stop trying to be himself from the past. Bowie, Petty, Springsteen, Waits.. you can be an old dude and still get it done on the stage. Don't know why Perry thinks he has to try to go back to 1988. Too much phoniness in his life (cough, etty, cough). He really could have aged gracefully with more songs along the lines of "Pete's Dad" and "Of Course" but no he's gotta try straining thru "Ain't No Right" and "Stop" every show. Break thru the bubble, Perry!

farrellgirl99

#23 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:59 am

Glad I skipped this (though i wouldnt have paid $125 for anything). Since I didn't see janes in their hey day, I felt like I had to catch up seeing them live. So I saw them a few times since 2009 and now i feel like i never have to see them again. I'm ok with my last show being when they played the brooklyn waterfront in the summer and i was front row. that was a good show to end it on.

maybe if they placed a show at irving plaza again for $15 id check it out. but otherwise, nah.

blackula

#24 Post by blackula » Fri May 15, 2015 6:16 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Glad I skipped this (though i wouldnt have paid $125 for anything). Since I didn't see janes in their hey day, I felt like I had to catch up seeing them live. So I saw them a few times since 2009 and now i feel like i never have to see them again. I'm ok with my last show being when they played the brooklyn waterfront in the summer and i was front row. that was a good show to end it on.

maybe if they placed a show at irving plaza again for $15 id check it out. but otherwise, nah.
I think that's my last show too. Good one to go out on, closing with Summertime Rolls. I don't even think they could tear up Irving Plaza nowadays like a few years ago, the show almost stands up to relapse for me, they were amazing. It's sad to say but they are fucking done.

creep
Site Admin

#25 Post by creep » Fri May 15, 2015 8:04 pm

this is the worst three days i have ever seen. no energy or effort from perry.

seriously watch this. it's so bad.