Bruce Jenner

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Bruce Jenner

#1 Post by Artemis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Is anyone watching the Diane Sawyer with Bruce Jenner on 20/20 right now?

I'll watch later when it gets posted on a free streaming site.

clickie

Re: Bruce Jenner

#2 Post by clickie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Yeah I watched it. A couple interesting points were he's having total reconstructive facial surgery plus a boob job, but he hasnt decided yet about his peen.
And another interesting thing was that he's not necessarily attracted to men. At least thats what it sounded like.

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:52 pm

clickie wrote:Yeah I watched it. A couple interesting points were he's having total reconstructive facial surgery plus a boob job, but he hasnt decided yet about his peen.
And another interesting thing was that he's not necessarily attracted to men. At least thats what it sounded like.

"it's a journey, I don't know how it's going to end...."

6 feet under without a wanker and enough plastic and chemical enhancements to prevent your corpse from ever deteriorating would be my guess.

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:10 am

Pandemonium wrote:
clickie wrote:Yeah I watched it. A couple interesting points were he's having total reconstructive facial surgery plus a boob job, but he hasnt decided yet about his peen.

"it's a journey, I don't know how it's going to end...."

6 feet under without a wanker and enough plastic and chemical enhancements to prevent your corpse from ever deteriorating would be my guess.
This was your big opportunity to status signal, showing how enlightened and contemporary you are because your personal opinions are in line with the current ideological zeitgeist. Don't you know what's good for you? I hope that someone young, perhaps with a recent university indoctrination, will arrive to correct you and provide the appropriate state-sanctioned opinions and terminology.

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:36 am

i was playing poker with friends and i thought i would amuse myself and switch channels to this to see the meathead comments i knew were coming from a couple of the guys that were there. as soon as a put it on i got from one guy "turn this shit off. i can't watch this fucking freak".

when some of his kids came on i felt bad for burt jenner. all of the jenner kids are good looking and there there is burt....

clickie

#6 Post by clickie » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:52 am

Thats pretty harsh creep.

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:18 am

creep, beauty is a social construct and everyone is equally attractive. Your looks-shaming is problematic.

Xizen47

#8 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:39 am

Are you pre or post op Jasper?

perkana

#9 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:58 pm

creep wrote:i was playing poker with friends and i thought i would amuse myself and switch channels to this to see the meathead comments i knew were coming from a couple of the guys that were there. as soon as a put it on i got from one guy "turn this shit off. i can't watch this fucking freak".

when some of his kids came on i felt bad for burt jenner. all of the jenner kids are good looking and there there is burt....

If he's the bald bearded one, what's wrong with him? He's kinda my type nowadays :noclue:

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:52 pm

Jasper wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:"it's a journey, I don't know how it's going to end...."

This was your big opportunity to status signal, showing how enlightened and contemporary you are because your personal opinions are in line with the current ideological zeitgeist. Don't you know what's good for you? I hope that someone young, perhaps with a recent university indoctrination, will arrive to correct you and provide the appropriate state-sanctioned opinions and terminology.
Heh, I know where you were going with that so I'll leave it be.

But honestly, Jenner wants to transform or mutate or whatever, more power to him. It's more the nauseating reality tv aspect of this whole thing from all concerned (Diane Sawyer = douche chills) that brings out my sarcastic side.

Essence_Smith

#11 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Dave Chappelle has a bit about "transformations" in his latest stage act...he's pretty open minded and has no issue with it but he started talking about Chaz Bono..."congrats on becoming a fat white guy...now wait till you go to the bar and see how they treat fat white guys"... :lol:

I felt sad for Bruce because I remember him being an all american top athlete growing up with a great clean cut image, etc. and for the last few years he's mainly known for his association with the K family...I always felt like that had to be really difficult to deal with after being as well known as regarded as he was. He was able to play along for some time but I think what we're seeing is an after effect of that in some small way...I dunno whatever makes you happy, just don't hurt anybody I say...

perkana

#12 Post by perkana » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Have you seen Normal with Tom Wilkinson (The Full Monty) and Jessica Lange?

I don't think you could possibly hurt anyone if the people who care about you see how miserable you are for not being how you really feel like.
I didn't see the interview but read something about what Bruce said and he had felt like a woman for quite some time. At least the first 2 exes knew about it.

Essence_Smith

#13 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:17 am

Ya know it's ok to say you "feel" a particular way...how you act on it is a whole different story. Without getting too deep and without judging anyone I don't know how a man can "feel" like a woman or vice versa...I think a lot of the misery resides in the brain. I don't know that getting hormones or having surgery changes anything, at the end of the day it's tough to be comfortable in one's own skin regardless of gender, age, race etc... I wish Bruce all the luck in the world but personally I think some transgender people are delusional. I have respect for people who are honest and say they're more comfortable living with the trappings of another gender but are smart enough to at least say I'll never BE that other gender...

blackcoffee

#14 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:51 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Ya know it's ok to say you "feel" a particular way...how you act on it is a whole different story. Without getting too deep and without judging anyone I don't know how a man can "feel" like a woman or vice versa...I think a lot of the misery resides in the brain. I don't know that getting hormones or having surgery changes anything, at the end of the day it's tough to be comfortable in one's own skin regardless of gender, age, race etc... I wish Bruce all the luck in the world but personally I think some transgender people are delusional. I have respect for people who are honest and say they're more comfortable living with the trappings of another gender but are smart enough to at least say I'll never BE that other gender...
I have tremendous respect for you, ES, and usually agree with your stance on things, but in this case I disagree. Homosexuality used to be considered and treated as a mental illness. We know a lot more today about sexuality, but certainly not everything. There is too much evidence to suggest that some people are, for lack of a better word, born in the wrong body "delusional" or no. I can't imagine how hard that must be. If using what's available medically to correct that, I don't see the issue.

My issue with Jenner is his association with the family who exploit every aspect of their lives for fame (or infamy) and money. The LGBT ally in me wants to simply wish him well and accept him, but the skeptic in me questions his motives.

SR

#15 Post by SR » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm

And where's the Baltimore thread

Essence_Smith

#16 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:27 pm

blackcoffee wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:Ya know it's ok to say you "feel" a particular way...how you act on it is a whole different story. Without getting too deep and without judging anyone I don't know how a man can "feel" like a woman or vice versa...I think a lot of the misery resides in the brain. I don't know that getting hormones or having surgery changes anything, at the end of the day it's tough to be comfortable in one's own skin regardless of gender, age, race etc... I wish Bruce all the luck in the world but personally I think some transgender people are delusional. I have respect for people who are honest and say they're more comfortable living with the trappings of another gender but are smart enough to at least say I'll never BE that other gender...
I have tremendous respect for you, ES, and usually agree with your stance on things, but in this case I disagree. Homosexuality used to be considered and treated as a mental illness. We know a lot more today about sexuality, but certainly not everything. There is too much evidence to suggest that some people are, for lack of a better word, born in the wrong body "delusional" or no. I can't imagine how hard that must be. If using what's available medically to correct that, I don't see the issue.

My issue with Jenner is his association with the family who exploit every aspect of their lives for fame (or infamy) and money. The LGBT ally in me wants to simply wish him well and accept him, but the skeptic in me questions his motives.
Bruce's membership into that "family" does add some bias to my thoughts and colors how I look at the situation no doubt. I made it a point to say SOME transgender people are delusional in part for one reason. I don't know that I really believe that medical science can make a man into a woman...my opinion on it comes from a transgender woman I know who I respect a great deal who once told me and I'm paraphrasing...that her spirit was a woman's but she felt like she was born a man and no matter what she did to herself physically, the simple fact that she couldn't naturally conceive a child meant that she couldn't truly be a woman. That perspective made a lot of sense to me. She wasn't fooling herself and saying, yes I'm a woman, end of story, she stated the fact that she felt like one but couldn't really be one regardless of how she framed it or how she lived her life and I always respected and identified that perspective as being a good one.

Trust that I don't look at most transgender folks as being mentally ill in the least but I think at least a small percentage of them to be fair that are likely doing what they're doing in part because they aren't necessarily the most stable folks in the world. I only say so because I've come across a few people in that situation. I don't judge them or hold it against the rest of people that consider themselves transgendered, but imo it's as fair as saying there's a percentage of people that are mentally ill period...if SR were here he'd be mad at me for saying that I'm always guilty of "I saw this happen so it must be true" but I unfortunately have come across of a few post op people who were completely bonkers and were foiling themselves... :noclue:

Hype

#17 Post by Hype » Tue May 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Xizen47 wrote:Are you pre or post op Jasper?
This made me giggle.

My dad thinks Eddie Izzard is gay. People have difficulty with nuance.

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Wed May 06, 2015 6:45 am

I missed the "interview" because I was on the cruise but here's my take on it...

I am all for being who you feel you need to be. I disagree with doing this process so "public". Those Jenner/Kardashian media whores will do anything for "ratings"

Knowing people who are/have transitioned this is a long and emotionally/physically hard process. I can't imagine anyone doing this in the public eye.

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed May 06, 2015 9:33 am

Romeo wrote:I missed the "interview" because I was on the cruise but here's my take on it...

I am all for being who you feel you need to be. I disagree with doing this process so "public". Those Jenner/Kardashian media whores will do anything for "ratings"

Knowing people who are/have transitioned this is a long and emotionally/physically hard process. I can't imagine anyone doing this in the public eye.
I can't disagree but I think since Bruce was already out there to begin with he's chosen to take control of the situation and be out in the open about it. I really don't think once you're already out there like he is you can get back into the closet so to speak. If he chose to do it quietly, do you think they'd actually LET him?

Romeo

#20 Post by Romeo » Wed May 06, 2015 11:47 am

Any reasonable person would be like "hey guys I gotta bow out of this reality shit show"

And go about his business

Essence_Smith

#21 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 am

Romeo wrote:Any reasonable person would be like "hey guys I gotta bow out of this reality shit show"

And go about his business
Being that I work in TV in some capacity I highly doubt he can just bow out...I don't disagree with you, I just don't think it's as easy as just saying you want things to be private now...it's also quite possible he still wants the attention as he's gotten accustomed to it. Also he may feel like he's helping by being public for others like him...I have no idea really... :hehe:

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Wed May 06, 2015 2:23 pm

This isn't a issue of "Boom! I'm a woman" Let's put this on TV!

It affects your personal relationships
It affects your job
It affects your kids
It affects your parents (if they are still alive)

Not everyone is always on board with your choice. I think that doing this in a very public manner when your kids might be having a hard time dealing with "is Dad still my Dad? Or is he now my Mom?" type of thing is incredibly harmful

BUT then this is the Kardashians....the worlds most self absorbed group of individuals...

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:01 am

Meet Caitlyn Jenner.

perkana

#24 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:31 pm

For some reason she reminds me of Teri Hatcher
Good for her, though I will pass on hers docuseries.

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Artemis wrote:Meet Caitlyn Jenner.

I bet it took a bigger team of Photoshop artists to touch up that shot than the number of surgeons who implanted her new boobies.