Amazing CA bands with shitty singers

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Amazing CA bands with shitty singers

#1 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun May 03, 2015 3:42 am

Faith No More: amazing musicians, shit ass singer replaced with Mike Patton
The Red Hot Chili Peppers: amazing musicians, fronted by their frat boy sex obsessed talentless best friend
Jane's Addiction: amazing musicians, fronted by their goth phase frontman looking to cash in on goth or metal or new romantic or whatever his artist girlfriend tells him to be into at the time, but just kind of being cool with his trust fund from his jeweler father.

What's with LA bands and always finding some douchey talentless flake to front them?

JOEinPHX

Re: Amazing CA bands with shitty singers

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun May 03, 2015 3:48 am

Anyway, can you guys think of any more instances in which the band is really talented and the singer is a complete poseur?

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sun May 03, 2015 4:11 am

:conf: we get it...you don't like perry.

for ten years perry was the best frontman there is.

Mescal

#4 Post by Mescal » Sun May 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Funny, I was listening to BSSM yesterday and I was thinking that AK wasn't so bad after all. Don't know if the RHCP would have worked with any other singer. He's no Freddie Mercury, but he's a good match for the RHCP.

A band consists of the energy and chemistry of each members . That's what makes it a band and not a singer songwriter. You can make fun of Ringo all you want, but the Beatles wouldn't have been the Beatles without him. Take any member out of Led Zeppelin, and it wouldn't be Led Zeppelin, you can make fun of Lars Ulrich all you want, but .... well, you get the picture

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Sun May 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Mescal wrote:Funny, I was listening to BSSM yesterday and I was thinking that AK wasn't so bad after all.
what he's doing on that album is magical....he's just as perfect a match for the RHCP as Flea and Frusciante is/was

bman

#6 Post by bman » Sun May 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Keidis sucks. Perry WAS Jane's Addiction. Navarro is an average at best guitarist. Sorry to say that but it's true. He picks up his guitar like once a month. I have a good friend who teaches guitar and he tells me that he has students in high school already doing Navarro shit. The Stop riff is just a classic Hendricks chord. All his solos are minor pentatonic shit. I love Dave's guitar and Jane's Addiction wouldn't be Janes with those 4 unique personalities. But Dave is the weak link musically.

Noonesshocking

#7 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun May 03, 2015 6:35 pm

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/159 ... addiction/

I think it's funny that Pitchfork, of all sites, hits the nail on the head when it comes to Jane's:
As slickly produced as Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual were, you always got the sense that Jane's Addiction were a band of four interconnected personalities contributing distinct, individual parts to the majestic whole.
I never understand why people think Perry "was" the band. I mean, when I first got into them, Perry's voice and lyrics were obviously unique and interesting right away.... but so were the bass, drums, and guitars. They were a very balanced band, and that's why it worked.

As for Navarro being an "average" guitar player - sure, he does a lot of the same tricks. But his essence always came through in his playing and thats what set him apart. Guitar teachers are usually really bad at picking up on that kind of thing.

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Mon May 04, 2015 2:28 am

bman wrote:Keidis sucks. Perry WAS Jane's Addiction. Navarro is an average at best guitarist. Sorry to say that but it's true. He picks up his guitar like once a month. I have a good friend who teaches guitar and he tells me that he has students in high school already doing Navarro shit. The Stop riff is just a classic Hendricks chord. All his solos are minor pentatonic shit. I love Dave's guitar and Jane's Addiction wouldn't be Janes with those 4 unique personalities. But Dave is the weak link musically.
:crazy:

clickie

#9 Post by clickie » Mon May 04, 2015 4:04 am

Jane's Addiction is the opposite. Shitty band with amazing vocalist.

kv

#10 Post by kv » Mon May 04, 2015 4:37 am

perry was an amazing front-man...no denying

crater

#11 Post by crater » Mon May 04, 2015 7:48 am

bman wrote:Perry WAS Jane's Addiction.

Romeo

#12 Post by Romeo » Mon May 04, 2015 7:52 am

creep wrote::conf: we get it...you don't like perry.

:nod:

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Romeo wrote:

I beg to differ.

He peaked between like 88 to 91, yet David Lee Roth was still alive and high kicking back then.

So, no.

kv

#14 Post by kv » Tue May 05, 2015 12:16 am

ah no...hell no and no...but you just trollin'

Mescal

#15 Post by Mescal » Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 am

Actually, I don't really get the initial post.

FNM, RHCP, JA; all great CA bands with dito frontmen.

What's your fuckin' point 6767?

Romeo

#16 Post by Romeo » Tue May 05, 2015 6:42 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:

I beg to differ.

He peaked between like 88 to 91, yet David Lee Roth was still alive and high kicking back then.

So, no.
We beg to differ.
We remember PFP

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Tue May 05, 2015 11:29 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:

I beg to differ.

So, no.
Roth was at his peak between '77 - '82, about a 5 or so year stretch. Even the last couple albums/tours in Van Halen, the decline was starting (check out the '83 US Festival show). He started become more of a clownish entertainer and his vox starting to trash out by his first solo tour in '87 after he left Van Halen and by the beginning of the 90's he was done. IMO, Perry actually outlasted Roth by several years before he too went down the toilet.

Essence_Smith

#18 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

How about amazing online boards with shitty posters? I have at least one nominee... :wave:

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Tue May 05, 2015 1:17 pm

The thing with vocalists, as with other musicians, is that it isn't always skillful musicianship that makes us like them. Sometimes it's just because you discover them at a certain time in your life, or because someone you like likes them, or because they happen to do something with their voice that no one else is doing, or because you grew up in a certain region/time, or whatever... And a lot of those you listed are from an era where what was going on in radio-rock at the time was that kinda falsetto ballad hair-metal stuff, or trying to sound like Iggy Pop (who also can't really sing but had a unique and interesting voice).

My general preference is for recognizable/original vocals over pure talent. I mean, fuck, if I cared about vocal talent I'd just listen to Mariah Carey or Selena or any opera singer... :neutral:

Having a voice or being exceptionally skilled at plucking strings in the right order doesn't make you a great, or unique artist. If it did, Cyndi Lauper could sing church hymns over Yngwie Malmsteen riffs and everyone would love it. :confused:

As for the guitar teacher thing... I had a guitar teacher whose son (I think was 10 at the time) heard Stop! and within 10 minutes was playing the song flawlessly (solo included), but the guy was very careful to point out that one of the reasons he was a guitar teacher and only in a band as a hobby is that he realized fairly quickly that he didn't have the creativity to write exceptional original music.

Say what you want about Perry, but somehow he and Eric got that shit done. I've forgotten how much of the early JA guitar was written by the original guy and just copied by Dave, but I recall at least a few of the bigger songs being basically the same on that early boot before Dave.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 05, 2015 10:24 pm

Don't leave out Anthony Kiedis here. I dislike him even more than Perry, and he most definitely sucks (although can probably carry a tune better than Perry at this point. Scary.)

Tyler Durden

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun May 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Motley Crue, all the way. I don't even like them...but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Vince Neil sucks ass and the other guys are talented musicians.

Stickyfingers

#22 Post by Stickyfingers » Mon May 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Axl Rose.

Great voice and great frontman ok, but shitty brain, he fired all band member, took the name for himself and waited 14 year for the new announced album :noclue:

Here's a nice version of sweet child o'mine by an Australian band (recorded 7 year before Appetite)

CaseyContrarian

#23 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed May 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Wow. This is extraordinarily similar. A musicologist would have a field day if an infringement suit was brought. Also, not hard to prove that Axl had knowledge of obscure bands from Oz; After all, Guns covered "Nice Boys Don't Play Rock 'n' Roll by the Sydney group Rose Tattoo.