New Faith No More album?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Re: New Faith No More album?

#201 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:11 pm

hey on a side note, I wonder if Mike Patton's will has an instruction where someone issues a press release as to what the "it" is in Epic's "it's it, what is it?" He's never confirmed what "it" is...

mockbee

#202 Post by mockbee » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:47 am

nausearockpig wrote:hey on a side note, I wonder if Mike Patton's will has an instruction where someone issues a press release as to what the "it" is in Epic's "it's it, what is it?" He's never confirmed what "it" is...
I think it IS it, and that's all there is to it.

It makes sense to me...... :noclue:

:hehe:

It was a cool show. The bass guy, (Gould right?), was really into it and the drummer was awesome, flailing about with complete control. Amazing.
I told my boss I was going to this show and he said, Oh, I did a house remodel project up in Pacific Heights for the drummer of that band back in the 90s after Real Thing... He had a really nice house. Thought that was interesting. I seem to work for a lot of architects who do houses for really cool musicians. In the 2003 I actually worked on a project with my boss and Frank to do a major house remodel in Eugene for Frank Black and his wife Violet, right before he started up the Pixies again. That was cool, but dumb me, I only sort of knew who the Pixies were at the time. But that was probably good, I would have probably been awkward around him.

Is 90 minutes pretty typical for FNM? It felt really short..... :noclue:

nausearockpig

#203 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:26 am

I think it's a bit shorter than usual, I'd have to check some of the bootlegs I have.

From memory, there was some conjecture that "it" was sex, orgasm or loss of virginity... Some of the lines kinda fit that and in some live versions he sings "and you fuck it some more" instead of "do it some more"... Dunno.

creep
Site Admin

#204 Post by creep » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:22 am

creep wrote:
intertwoven wrote:Looks like the album is out there now.
after my first listen i like the album ok. it seems to be the type of album that will grow on me after a few listens. every fnm album has a few turds on it and this one doesn't have any that stand out to me as turd worthy. the best song on the album is separation anxiety. i need a few more listens though...
cone of shame is my new choice of favorite song on the album.

the album is definitely a grower. i'm on listen three or four and it's really good. my only complaint is that mike needs to do more singing and less trying to show off his range. but that is what he does now.

MYXYLPLYX

#205 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 am

mockbee wrote: and the drummer was awesome, flailing about with complete control. Amazing.
I told my boss I was going to this show and he said, Oh, I did a house remodel project up in Pacific Heights for the drummer of that band back in the 90s after Real Thing... He had a really nice house.
Mike Bordin... I don't think he lives in Pac Heights any more though. Really nice guy, and a huge Giants fan. :thumb:

creep
Site Admin

#206 Post by creep » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:44 pm

last nights setlist doesn't blow me away so it makes it easier that i missed the show.

Motherfucker
Land of Sunshine
Caffeine
Evidence
Epic
Sunny Side Up
Get Out
Midlife Crisis
Last Cup of Sorrow
The Gentle Art of Making Enemies
Easy
Cuckoo for Caca
King for a Day
Ashes to Ashes
Superhero

Encore:
Matador
We Care a Lot
Pristina

Encore 2:
From the Dead

nausearockpig

#207 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:11 am

creep wrote:last nights setlist doesn't blow me away so it makes it easier that i missed the show.

Motherfucker
Land of Sunshine
Caffeine

Evidence
Epic
Sunny Side Up
Get Out
Midlife Crisis

Last Cup of Sorrow
Easy
Cuckoo for Caca
King for a Day

Ashes to Ashes
Superhero

Encore:
Matador
We Care a Lot

Pristina

Encore 2:
From the Dead
I've bolded the parts that make this show rad. any show with these songs would be one not to miss. shame on you creepster.. for shames...

creep
Site Admin

#208 Post by creep » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:55 am

nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:last nights setlist doesn't blow me away so it makes it easier that i missed the show.

Motherfucker
Land of Sunshine
Caffeine

Evidence
Epic
Sunny Side Up
Get Out
Midlife Crisis

Last Cup of Sorrow
Easy
Cuckoo for Caca
King for a Day

Ashes to Ashes
Superhero

Encore:
Matador
We Care a Lot

Pristina

Encore 2:
From the Dead
I've bolded the parts that make this show rad. any show with these songs would be one not to miss. shame on you creepster.. for shames...
did you really bold epic???

except for the new songs the only bolded song they didn't play last time i saw them was get out. all i was saying it didn't blow me away. this was the setlist last time i saw them.

Reunited
From Out of Nowhere
Land of Sunshine
Caffeine
Evidence
Chinese Arithmetic
(with Poker Face)
Last Cup of Sorrow
Cuckoo for Caca
Easy
(Commodores cover)
Ashes to Ashes
Midlife Crisis
Surprise! You're Dead!
King for a Day
Epic
Just a Man

Encore:
Stripsearch
(W/ Chariots of Fire intro)
Digging the Grave

Encore 2:
This Guy's in Love With You
We Care a Lot

Encore 3:
Introduce Yourself

nausearockpig

#209 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:18 am

That's a stellar setlist apart from Easy & This Guy.... I love Patton's versions of the Chuck songs.

Re Epic, yeah... I know its been flogged by radio & TV but it really is an amazing song. Bung it on and listen to the way the guitar comes in when he's singing the "you've got to share it......" bit (at 0:50)..

Try listening to it focus on every thing except the vox, it gives youna differrnt appreciation of the song... this is something I've tried to do more since picking up the guitar.... ( if u get really bored and wanna trip out to a snare pattern, put on Fascination Street by The Cure (album version).. it's awesome.... you concentrate on the snare the whole way thru and get to the end without realising!)

creep
Site Admin

#210 Post by creep » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:35 am

nausearockpig wrote:That's a stellar setlist apart from Easy & This Guy.... I love Patton's versions of the Chuck songs.

Re Epic, yeah... I know its been flogged by radio & TV but it really is an amazing song. Bung it on and listen to the way the guitar comes in when he's singing the "you've got to share it......" bit (at 0:50)..

Try listening to it focus on every thing except the vox, it gives youna differrnt appreciation of the song... this is something I've tried to do more since picking up the guitar.... ( if u get really bored and wanna trip out to a snare pattern, put on Fascination Street by The Cure (album version).. it's awesome.... you concentrate on the snare the whole way thru and get to the end without realising!)
well i'm not a musician and i can't overlook the vocals in epic. i'm just not a fan of the rap rock and it's not really what faith no more is about.

i also disagree with you on your hatred of easy. i love the song. the song i dislike the most that they play every show is evidence. that one needs to go.

nausearockpig

#211 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:44 am

I never thought of it as rap-rock but I guess part of it is.. try it though. Listen hard to the bass or guitar only. Its fun!

What I dont get about Easy is why they chose it as a song to cover in the first place. Is it meant to be funny, or annoying, or do they actually like that piece of garbage song? and why they play an almost identical version of it (as the original)... fuck I hate that song :lolol:

Agree re Evidence.

Larry B.

#212 Post by Larry B. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:04 am

Evidence was probably THE song that got me into Faith No More, closely followed by Ashes to Ashes. I've seen them about 5 times and I've yet to hear that song sang in English (here Patton sings it in Spanish and when I saw them in Brazil he sang it in Portuguese).

I love it.

Essence_Smith

#213 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:01 pm

nausearockpig wrote:What I dont get about Easy is why they chose it as a song to cover in the first place. Is it meant to be funny, or annoying, or do they actually like that piece of garbage song? and why they play an almost identical version of it (as the original)... fuck I hate that song :lolol:
:no:
Considering they covered it in the first place and have been playing the song for 20+ years I'm going to go out on a limb and say they like the song...I suppose Reunited is a piece of garbage song too?

Pandemonium

#214 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:08 pm

It's just been announced 2 cd deluxe remastered editions of The Real Thing and Angel Dust will be reissued on June 2nd. They will both have a 2nd cd of b-sides and other bonus tracks.

THE REAL THING Tracklist

Disc One: Original Album
1. “From Out Of Nowhere”
2. “Epic”
3. “Falling To Pieces”
4. “Surprise You’re Dead”
5. “Zombie Eaters”
6. “The Real Thing”
7. “Underwater Love”
8. “The Morning After”
9. “Woodpecker From Mars”
10. “War Pigs”
11. “Edge Of The World”

Disc Two: Bonus Disc
1. Sweet Emotion (Taken from Kerrang! Flexible Fiend)
2. Epic (Radio Remix Edit) (Taken from the ‘Epic’ Promotional CD single)
3. Falling To Pieces (Matt Wallace Remix) (Taken from the ‘Falling To Pieces’ 12″ single)
4. Cowboy Song (B-side) (Taken from the b-side of ‘From Out Of Nowhere’ single)
5. The Grade (B-side) (Taken from the b-side of ‘From Out Of Nowhere’ 12″ single)
6. From Out Of Nowhere (Extended Remix) (Taken from the ‘From Out Of Nowhere’ 12″ single)
7. War Pigs (Live Berlin 11.9.1989) (Iommi/Ward/Butler/Osbourne) Westminster Music Ltd.
(Taken from the b-side of ‘Epic’ 12″ single)
8. Surprise You’re Dead (Live Sheffield) (Taken from the b-side of ‘Epic’ 12″ single)
9. Chinese Arithmetic (Live Sheffield) (Taken from the b-side of ‘Epic’ 12″ single)
10. Underwater Love (Live at Brixton Academy, London 28 April 1990) (Taken from the b-side of ‘Falling To Pieces’ 12″ single)
11. As The Worms Turns (Live at Brixton Academy, London 28 April 1990) (Taken from the video for “You Fat B**tards”)

ANGEL DUST Tracklist

Disc One: Original Album
1. “Land Of Sunshine”
2. “Caffeine”
3. “Midlife Crisis”
4. “R.V.”
5. “Smaller And Smaller”
6. “Everything’s Ruined”
7. “Malpractice”
8. “Kindergarten”
9. “Be Aggressive”
10. “A Small Victory”
11. “Crack Hitler”
12. “Jizzlobber”
13. “Midnight Cowboy”
14. “Easy”

Disc Two: Bonus Disc
1. Easy (Cooler Version) (Lionel Ritchie) (Taken from the ‘I’m Easy’ CD single)
2. Das Schutzenfest (German version) (Taken from the ‘I’m Easy’ CD single)
3. As The Worm Turns (Mike Patton vocal / Japan bonus track) (Taken from the Japanese edition of “Angel Dust”)
4. Let’s Lynch The Landlord (B-Side) (Jello Biafra) (Taken from the ‘A Small Victory’ single)
5. Midlife Crisis (The Scream Mix) Remixed by Matt Wallace (Taken from the bonus 12″ included with “Angel Dust” LP)
6. A Small Victory (R-Evolution 23 (Full Moon) Mix) (Taken from the ‘A Small Victory’ 12″ single)
7. Easy (Live Munich 9th November 1992) ((Lionel Ritchie) (Taken from the ‘I’m Easy’ CD single)
8. Be Aggressive (Live Munich 9th November 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘I’m Easy’ CD single)
9. Kindergarten (Live Munich 9th November 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘I’m Easy’ CD single)
10. A Small Victory (Live Munich 9th November 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘I’m Easy’ CD single)]
11. Mark Bowen (Live Munich 9th November 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘I’m Easy’ CD single)
12. We Care A Lot (Live Munich 9th November 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘I’m Easy’ CD single)
13. Midlife Crisis (Live Dekalb, Ill. 20th September 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘Everything’s Ruined’ CD single)
14. Land Of Sunshine (Live Dekalb, Ill. 20th September 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘Everything’s Ruined’ CD single)
15. Edge of The World (Live St. Louis 18th September 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘Everything’s Ruined’ CD single)
16. R.V. (Live Dekalb, Ill. 20th September 1992) (Taken from the b-side of ‘Everything’s Ruined’ CD single)
17. The World Is Yours (Outtake from Angel Dust sessions) (Taken from the album “Who Cares A Lot? The Greatest Hits)

Essence_Smith

#215 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:27 pm

I'm more excited about this than the new album... :lol:

intertwoven

#216 Post by intertwoven » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Wish they would have dug up some unreleased stuff for these, though I suppose it's nice to have b-sides n' shit together along with a few live tracks.

nausearockpig

#217 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:01 pm

intertwoven wrote:Wish they would have dug up some unreleased stuff for these, though I suppose it's nice to have b-sides n' shit together along with a few live tracks.
yeah i guess to some people some of this stuff will be new...
Essence_Smith wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:What I dont get about Easy is why they chose it as a song to cover in the first place. Is it meant to be funny, or annoying, or do they actually like that piece of garbage song? and why they play an almost identical version of it (as the original)... fuck I hate that song :lolol:
:no:
Considering they covered it in the first place and have been playing the song for 20+ years I'm going to go out on a limb and say they like the song...I suppose Reunited is a piece of garbage song too?
I seem to recall that when they were interviewed on Australian TV (yes such a thing exists and yes, it's pretty lame) as to why they chose to cover Easy, their answer was "Because it's easy"... not much of an answer.. I've heard or read somewhere that they chose it to annoy their audiences, same as doing the Nestle song & Sweet Dreams....

You're right, I don't care for Reunited nor Midnight Cowboy... Sure maybe playing these songs is fun or a joke on audiences (they've reunited, get it?) but my point is instead of these three songs and others like "I Started A Joke" & "Greenfields" they could play Anne's Song, or a myriad of other songs that are a) written by FNM and b) good... but whatever, each to their own, and it's not like they're going to change what they do because I don't like it - especially since they don't know, or have the capability to know, that I don't like them.. And that would no doubt fuel their fires anyway......

Essence_Smith

#218 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Being a musician myself I just can't see a band playing a song they don't like or as a joke for 20+ years...they have to enjoy the song to some extent. I've played MANY covers as a joke "Karma Chameleon", "She Drives Me Crazy" but at the end of the day I did like the songs...to each their own, didn't mean to be too harsh about it, I do like Easy and Reunited a lot, they're from a particular era that I appreciate, and they definitely have some covers I don't care for as well. I think part of it is a humor thing for them but on that basic level you have to feel comfortable with the song to play it over and over so I think they do it just to cover songs you wouldn't expect them to do like I used to...

nausearockpig

#219 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:40 pm

yeah you're probably right about them liking the songs to some degree....

In case anyone is interested a mate of mine has revamped his FNM setlist website: http://anaussiemusicfan.com/fnm/

There are other bands there, along with the great Regurgitator and other FNM related bands...

Pandemonium

#220 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:31 am

Saw Faith No More at the Wiltern Theater in LA last night, the 3rd show of a 3 night stand. Only the second time I've ever seen them, the first being about 25 years ago opening for Metallica.

Got there a bit early and once I was wristbanded for the pit, spent the next hour plus people watching upstairs from the balcony overlooking the lobby. Pretty eclectic mix of people, a lot of really fat metalheads, hipsters in long sleeved plaid shirts, black rimmed glasses and beenies, older gray haired stoner types, a good number of younger kids fresh outta high school and a surprising number of good looking women! Opening band "Flattbush" who I think are locals (there was a different opener every night), was probably the worst band I've seen in a very long time - one-note screamo cookie monster vox, fast pounding drums and constantly shreddy soloing. The singer who was a skinny bald Asian kid complete with a big coolie hat tried hard but the music and the band was just laughably terrible.

Once that horror show was done, I secured a spot in the pit on the left side a couple people back from the stage in front of FNM's keyboard player. Lucky for me, it seems kids these days are shorter than ever, and no matter where I stood, I pretty much towered over anyone around me and I'm only 6ft tall. The stage crew (all dressed in white, btw) had set up these white planters full of floral arrangements across the entire front of the stage so being up front, it was tough to see anything below the waist of the band on stage. With even the amps clothed in white, the stage looked like a flower shop.

Faith No More came on at 10pm on the money and played about a 80 minute set. I believe this was one of the few shows they've recently played where they didn't open with "Motherfucker," instead opting for the more subdued "Sol Invictus" off the new album. Second song was "From Out Of Nowhere" and the place went nuts and the band pretty much held that energy through much of the show. Patton sounded great but the mix down front where I was was very bass and drum heavy. Speaking of which, I gained a new appreciation for Billy Gould, his bass playing is fantastic, with a perfect deep tone. Bordin just beat the shit out of his kit, constantly splintering sticks with roadies pouring bottles of water over him constantly through the set. Mid-way through the set after "Midlife Crisis," I moved just outside of the pit over to the opposite side of the stage hoping for better sound mix, but unless it was a part of a song that featured a prominent guitar bit, the guitar was pretty buried in the mix. The only thing I didn't "get," was the short fat dude dressed up in a white leisure suit with a hat and his face covered like the Elephant Man who would occasionally wander across the stage - whatever the gimmick was supposed to be, it slipped by me.

Overall, a great show, I'm glad I went. The Wiltern is always my favorite place to catch a show. Here's a couple clips from last night (not mine):

Setlist:

Sol Invictus
From Out of Nowhere
Caffeine
Evidence
Epic
Sunny Side Up
Surprise! You're Dead!
Midlife Crisis w/Lowdown tease
Last Cup of Sorrow
Easy (cover)
Be Aggressive
King for a Day
Ashes to Ashes
Superhero
(encore)
Motherfucker
Digging the Grave
This Guy's in Love With You (cover)

creep
Site Admin

#221 Post by creep » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:36 am

Pandemonium wrote:Saw Faith No More at the Wiltern Theater in LA last night, the 3rd show of a 3 night stand. Only the second time I've ever seen them, the first being about 25 years ago opening for Metallica.

Got there a bit early and once I was wristbanded for the pit, spent the next hour plus people watching upstairs from the balcony overlooking the lobby. Pretty eclectic mix of people, a lot of really fat metalheads, hipsters in long sleeved plaid shirts, black rimmed glasses and beenies, older gray haired stoner types, a good number of younger kids fresh outta high school and a surprising number of good looking women! Opening band "Flattbush" who I think are locals (there was a different opener every night), was probably the worst band I've seen in a very long time - one-note screamo cookie monster vox, fast pounding drums and constantly shreddy soloing. The singer who was a skinny bald Asian kid complete with a big coolie hat tried hard but the music and the band was just laughably terrible.

Once that horror show was done, I secured a spot in the pit on the left side a couple people back from the stage in front of FNM's keyboard player. Lucky for me, it seems kids these days are shorter than ever, and no matter where I stood, I pretty much towered over anyone around me and I'm only 6ft tall. The stage crew (all dressed in white, btw) had set up these white planters full of floral arrangements across the entire front of the stage so being up front, it was tough to see anything below the waist of the band on stage. With even the amps clothed in white, the stage looked like a flower shop.

Faith No More came on at 10pm on the money and played about a 80 minute set. I believe this was one of the few shows they've recently played where they didn't open with "Motherfucker," instead opting for the more subdued "Sol Invictus" off the new album. Second song was "From Out Of Nowhere" and the place went nuts and the band pretty much held that energy through much of the show. Patton sounded great but the mix down front where I was was very bass and drum heavy. Speaking of which, I gained a new appreciation for Billy Gould, his bass playing is fantastic, with a perfect deep tone. Bordin just beat the shit out of his kit, constantly splintering sticks with roadies pouring bottles of water over him constantly through the set. Mid-way through the set after "Midlife Crisis," I moved just outside of the pit over to the opposite side of the stage hoping for better sound mix, but unless it was a part of a song that featured a prominent guitar bit, the guitar was pretty buried in the mix. The only thing I didn't "get," was the short fat dude dressed up in a white leisure suit with a hat and his face covered like the Elephant Man who would occasionally wander across the stage - whatever the gimmick was supposed to be, it slipped by me.

Overall, a great show, I'm glad I went. The Wiltern is always my favorite place to catch a show. Here's a couple clips from last night (not mine):

Setlist:

Sol Invictus
From Out of Nowhere
Caffeine
Evidence
Epic
Sunny Side Up
Surprise! You're Dead!
Midlife Crisis w/Lowdown tease
Last Cup of Sorrow
Easy (cover)
Be Aggressive
King for a Day
Ashes to Ashes
Superhero
(encore)
Motherfucker
Digging the Grave
This Guy's in Love With You (cover)
the short fat dude was danny devito...a long time fan of the band.

Pandemonium

#222 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:54 pm

creep wrote:the short fat dude was danny devito...a long time fan of the band.

LOL, I did some searching and yeah, he's popped up onstage at a few shows in the past. Now that I think of it, at the beginning of the show, there was some people in the VIP seating area behind the pit shouting "Danny! Danny! Danny!" I had no clue. This clip is the beginning of the show and Devito's on stage like the rest of the band:

Here's a clip when he got behind Borden on the drum riser in the middle of "Epic." From my vantage point it looked like he was massaging Borden's shoulders and I'd guess the roadie told him he was probably distracting Borden. Look for Devito at 2:48:

creep
Site Admin

#223 Post by creep » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:16 pm

at the first los angeles show duff mckagen was the gimp onstage. i guess they let their friends hang out onstage. :noclue:

nausearockpig

#224 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:38 pm

great stuff, bootleg of the second show up on dime if anyone is interested: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=525645

mockbee

#225 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Juana wrote:I'm going to the Portland show but I will not have any extra tickets.

How did you like the show? Did you end up going?