Are There Any Rock Bands Left????

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
guysmiley

Re: Are There Any Rock Bands Left????

#26 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Might I remind you of one of the original punk bands which was "black", before (in theory) rap.

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Jimi Hendrix was punk/rock/black before any of those were things.

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Mescal wrote:I think that in the Stoner/doom/hardcore genre there still are some musicians living the Rock N Roll lifestyle. Drink, drugs, not giving a fuck. But then again, they're not popular
Yeah that shit is all underground. Playing smaller clubs and bars.

That's where the real rock is.

guysmiley

#29 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Jimi Hendrix was punk/rock/black before any of those were things.
THANK YOU HYPE AND 6767. The name and hype doesn't matter. Fuck anyone's ideas. Rock the fuck out. Sorry, I'm in this shit and it's hard to keep listening to this shit argument. Find music you like. Fuck off cunt.

guysmiley

#30 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:59 pm

guysmiley wrote:Some Northwest Heavy Stuff
Red Fang

Rollie Fingers ( I helped write this song)

Bison Bc

Black Pussy

Lord Dying
Opened for all of these guys!!!!!!!!!!!! :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :flip: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper:

guysmiley

#31 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:02 pm

And these guys

guysmiley

#32 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Come to think of it.... I can't think of a band I hate more than Jane's. Why am I here?

kv

#33 Post by kv » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:21 pm

because you belong to us now...

ya i hate these threads because i've seen this thread like 5 times here now ( it's really just a "hey i'm old thread")....get the fuck outside and look outside of your safe box...it's there waiting for you to show up like always

i think people as a whole don't really want to listen to music from young bands they want their old bands to fill that role forever...silly thinking...but we get old fat and lazy and have less free time on our hands...we don't want to be out at 1am on a Wednesday night anymore...or they were never that much of rock people to begin with and just were caught in trends which to be fair raido rawk is pretty fucking horrid these days...and the butt rock stations ( "coming up, 3 straight hours of nothing but rock")...are just filled with more old dudes being lazy
Last edited by kv on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LJF

#34 Post by LJF » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:23 pm

guysmiley wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
LJF wrote:Sure but they are all now rap groups.
:nod:
ding ding ding
I think your confusing genres with something called "passion" or "feeling". If you wanted a rap thread, then you should have started one. I like rap, but come on. If you ask a "rock" question don't bow out with the first answer you like. Yes, some of those folks are coming up in the shit places which create great music. I love it. But rock music has been gentrified. There still is the real thing if you care to look. If not, fuck off and die.

I guess You don't like when rap groups or non rock n roll groups get into the rock n roll hall of fame. In mainstream right now I'd say rap or rap groups are more bad boys, I don't give a fuck. You are 6767 are right there are still rock bands that are like that we just don't see or hear them. Rock isn't it now. It will come back, music comes and goes.

Why so much anger for a Friday?

kv

#35 Post by kv » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:27 pm

because it's rock....and i doubt he gives a solo fuck about any RnR hall of fame :noclue:

Hype

#36 Post by Hype » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:04 pm

kv wrote:because you belong to us now...

ya i hate these threads because i've seen this thread like 5 times here now ( it's really just a "hey i'm old thread")....get the fuck outside and look outside of your safe box...it's there waiting for you to show up like always

i think people as a whole don't really want to listen to music from young bands they want their old bands to fill that role forever...silly thinking...but we get old fat and lazy and have less free time on our hands...we don't want to be out at 1am on a Wednesday night anymore...or they were never that much of rock people to begin with and just were caught in trends which to be fair raido rawk is pretty fucking horrid these days...and the butt rock stations ( "coming up, 3 straight hours of nothing but rock")...are just filled with more old dudes being lazy
It's the fucking Hullabalooza episode of The Simpsons, which is from 20 years ago. Homer discovers his favourite bands are "oldies" (Bread, Styx; but he just heard them on the King Biscuit Flower Hour!), even though he always said he'd "never stop rockin'!". He has no idea who Nine Inch Nails or Sonic Youth are.

There's something funny about Gen-Xers becoming Homer Simpson. Especially here, since that episode parodies Lolla and the whole alt-rock deal that Perry and crew made mainstream enough to be featured on the Simpsons in the first place.

Hype

#37 Post by Hype » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Your mistake was trying to be "with it" in the first place. Popular art is almost always lowest-common denominator marketed garbage. There are like 5 bands ever who have managed to be both popular and not artistically empty, and unfortunately Jane's Addiction isn't one of them, though for like... two years... people thought they might be.

Artemis

#38 Post by Artemis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:35 pm

kv wrote:
i think people as a whole don't really want to listen to music from young bands they want their old bands to fill that role forever...silly thinking...but we get old fat and lazy and have less free time on our hands...we don't want to be out at 1am on a Wednesday night anymore...
I know you're speaking generally here, but for myself, I can say that I am still quite enthusiastic about discovering and listening to new music. While I don't go to as many shows as I used to, I still love live shows at small clubs. Unfortunately, those are the shows that usually start around 10pm. I don't mind getting home at 02:00, it's the waking up at 06:00 for work that kills me these days. :lol:
Also, I don't have kids where many of my friends do and no longer go out to hear bands. If they go to a concert at all it's usually a big name.

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:01 pm

There's new bands worth liking, but they all mostly fall into the "alternative" category rather than the "rock" category.

"Rock" is mostly just "modern rock" now, which is mediocre Nickelback-soundalike bands: Three Days Grace, Evans Blue, Evanescence, Trapt, Volbeat, Halestorm... or screamo shit like BlesstheFall and A Day To Remember... all radio bullshit. Digitally processed guitars and loudness wars mixing that makes everything thick and crunchy and lifeless and sterile.

Alternative however... that's where you're going to find stuff like Band of Horses, My Morning Jacket, Kings of Leon, etc... that have more in common with traditional 60s/70s/90s rock than modern rock does.

And as previously mentioned, the whole doom/stoner/desert rock scene is full of a lot of dynamic bands. But a little on the heavier/groove side of things.

Just don't go looking for rock on modern radio. At least not rock the way you know it. You won't find it.

Essence_Smith

#40 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:32 pm

guysmiley wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
LJF wrote:Sure but they are all now rap groups.
:nod:
ding ding ding
I think your confusing genres with something called "passion" or "feeling". If you wanted a rap thread, then you should have started one. I like rap, but come on. If you ask a "rock" question don't bow out with the first answer you like. Yes, some of those folks are coming up in the shit places which create great music. I love it. But rock music has been gentrified. There still is the real thing if you care to look. If not, fuck off and die.
Firstly I don't know where "fuck off and die" managed to be an appropriate response...calm down killer...now back to the matter at hand...without looking at my original post in an effort to back track I'll say this... Perhaps your suggestion that I'm blurring genre vs. feeling/passion/attitude is at least a somewhat appropriate one. I don't think I'm confusing the two but I know a ton of bands who play heavy music and have a whole lot of attitude and at the end of the day they all feel very safe...does that make sense? They kind of do things that are expected of them, they're not challenging the status quo and come across as careerist...does that make some sense??? I loved Fugazi back in the day and they are the antithesis of the rock star cliche...and they to me had a least a bit of that attitude. Fuck the career part and money, it's about the music and connection with the people. I also liked bands that were totally careerist but would risk it all in a drunken bar fight... :lol:

I'm not doubting that there are bands that play well and really mean business when it comes to pushing the envelope...the last band that I think was doing something interesting that was kinda heavy and I couldn't put a finger on what kind of band they were was the Mars Volta. Keep in mind I didn't like some of their stuff and wasn't a huge fan. But they acted unpredictably, had a real sense of passion for what they were doing and didn't necessarily follow any particular pattern of how they're supposed to go about making their living in the music industry. Awesome live band with major players, lost a few band members along the way and had a genuine mystique.

The thing with rap groups imo is while the genre as a whole I am NOT good with these days, at least there's still a bit of room for some unpredictable stuff to happen. Rap still produces artists that surprise me from time to time, i.e. Kendrick Lamar or even Tyler to a lesser extent...what makes rock rock to me is a certain attitude...Jimi didn't even think of what he was doing as rock, he thought of it as a kind of sped up blues, but he was definitely a rock musician...I dunno perhaps I'm looking for something that can't really exist anymore because I'm looking at with different eyes...no clue but please note I didn't knock anyone's suggestions so in the words of Old Dirty Bastard (another rap dude with that reckless rock attitude) "please everyone, calm down, the music and everything"...