Are There Any Rock Bands Left????

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Essence_Smith

Are There Any Rock Bands Left????

#1 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:17 am

I was having this conversation with a friend and we came to the conclusion that there really aren't any real rock bands anymore...I think we started talking about the incident with Guns N Roses at the AMA's back in the day where Duff and Slash showed up drunk as hell and cursed live on the air...around the same time Izzy got in trouble for peeing on an airplane...Steven had broken his hand when he drunkenly punched a lamp post or something and GNR had some sort of physical confrontation with Motley Crue...so I guess what I'm hinting at is that there aren't as many bad boy rock bands if there are any at all...I'm not talking about druggy bands per say, but there aren't many that are as rebellious or reckless as back in the day...I'm sure there are a few knuckleheads but even Jane's had the vibe that they would implode at any point...is it me or does this just not exist anymore???

Matz

Re: Are There Any Rock Bands Left????

#2 Post by Matz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:23 am

Van Halen can implode at any moment cause of DLR....closest I can think of

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:25 am

not a rock band but justin beiber seems to be the only musician doing dumb shit and getting in trouble.

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:52 am

There are lots of underground crazy rock bands. They are not popular.

Arena-rock is probably dead. But I think good riddance...

Essence_Smith

#5 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:18 am

creep wrote:not a rock band but justin beiber seems to be the only musician doing dumb shit and getting in trouble.
But see this is a part of the conversation...cause that dude's music has little to do with the actual shit he gets into...bands like GNR and Crue and even Jane's seemed to talk the talk and walk the walk...it's not just getting into trouble or doing drugs or any of the rock star cliche type stuff alone, it's actually coming across like it's credible...Perry's opening lines in Whores seemed pretty authentic at the time...I think what passes for that behavior now is more often than not highly orchestrated and part of marketing...perhaps it was then as well... :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:22 am

Hard rock seems dead in general. Other than a handful of awful, awful bands. Everything is dance related right now.

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:23 am

hokahey wrote:Hard rock seems dead in general. Other than a handful of awful, awful bands. Everything is dance related right now.
Perry was right 15 years ago... he was just already too old.

Artemis

#8 Post by Artemis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:52 am

Royal Blood is pretty good,imo.

They're some young guys from Brighton, England.

I think they rock!
They will be opening up for some Foo Fighter dates on their upcoming tour.
I'm waiting for Royal Blood to do a solo show which should be soon.

Artemis

#9 Post by Artemis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:56 am

The Strypes from Cavan, Ireland are pretty rockin too. :rockon:

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Oops, I misread ES's post. The bands I mentioned aren't "bad boys" in the sense that ES meant.

Iggy Azelia seems to be a troublemaker. :noclue:

Essence_Smith

#11 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Artemis wrote:Oops, I misread ES's post. The bands I mentioned aren't "bad boys" in the sense that ES meant.

Iggy Azelia seems to be a troublemaker. :noclue:
Yeah I mean rock bands in the bad boy sense...Iggy is a fraud too...as I said when it does come across as somewhat rebellious it ends up being a pose or a publicity stunt...

cricket_bows

#12 Post by cricket_bows » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Matz wrote:Van Halen can implode at any moment cause of DLR....closest I can think of
So funny you mention this; when I was watching the latest performance on Kimmel and Ellen, I was thinking the same thing. Even though (I think) he comes across mostly as vaudeville-schticky, there's an element to the dude that's half a click off (that I like), where I just feel on edge, like anything could potentially happen.

Thinking about live wires and kooks, I was never into their music, but do the Gallagher bros from Oasis qualify? I always remember hearing about them flipping out and fighting or something. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I have to think the internet has been the main reason for the dramatic change in the way things used to be.

nausearockpig

#13 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:47 pm

Didn't Justin Bieber get a tattoo recently? that's pretty bad-ass...

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:36 pm

There's still plenty of rock bands big and small that have been around for less than a decade or so (Muse, Arcade Fire, etc) and there's plenty of music acts that have various degrees of that genuine element of anarchic, crazy danger vibe (numerous rap acts) but I'd be hard pressed to name a "dangerous rock band" that's less than a decade old that has any substantial notoriety beyond being a club level band. I see Van Halen mentioned, and yeah, Roth is certainly operating on a different plane and Eddie was probably one bad night away from OD'ing in some fashion up until about 2007 but those guys have kind of outlived their rep and like The Stones and numerous other once-notorious bands who are in their 60's and beyond, they've really all kind of mellowed to the point of being at worst, goofy motherfuckers like Ozzy or like Keith Richards, loveable old geezers.

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:37 pm

I think everyone just kind of got tired of the whole "i wear a leather jacket and sing about sex and whiskey" thing.

It had a nice run between the 70s and 80s, but if you're waiting for it to come back... i'm sure there's some dive bar in Hollywood where a bunch of 20 year olds think that the Crue still matters and that style of music is coming back some day... and they're just the ones to bring it.

In fact, I've seen them walking down sunset before... with their cute little bandanas tied around their cowboy boots and all. Go scope it out and ask them where they're playing. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to tell you how many chicks are going to be at their gig. :jasper:

nausearockpig

#16 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:I think everyone just kind of got tired of the whole "i wear a leather jacket and sing about sex and whiskey" thing.

It had a nice run between the 70s and 80s, but if you're waiting for it to come back... i'm sure there's some dive bar in Hollywood where a bunch of 20 year olds think that the Crue still matters and that style of music is coming back some day... and they're just the ones to bring it.

In fact, I've seen them walking down sunset before... with their cute little bandanas tied around their cowboy boots and all. Go scope it out and ask them where they're playing. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to tell you how many chicks are going to be at their gig. :jasper:
there's a guy who i've seen around the suburb I live in that is kitted out in all that Crue gear.. he was in a comic shop i was at recently then i saw him at the supermarket.. All Crue-d up.. awesome...

Mescal

#17 Post by Mescal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 pm

I think that in the Stoner/doom/hardcore genre there still are some musicians living the Rock N Roll lifestyle. Drink, drugs, not giving a fuck. But then again, they're not popular

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:41 am

Uhh... Muse has been around for well over a decade (I saw them in 2004...), and Arcade Fire has been around since at least then as well. They're veterans, and they've both already had their big moments in the sun.

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:04 am

Six7Six7 wrote:I think everyone just kind of got tired of the whole "i wear a leather jacket and sing about sex and whiskey" thing.

:essence:
I'm about talking about rebellious in a general sense. I used the 80's guys as one example...but we could go back to the 60's...Morrison, Hendrix...even Kurt Cobain had a little bad ass in him...I think the drug thing and sex thing is part of what I'm talking about, but you can even look at Mr. Bungle doing the RHCP mock thing as an example of what I mean...they didn't give a fuck about pissing whoever off...they did their own thing consequences be damned...you don't see THAT anymore...people are in the business of music to make money and it seems to me like when they do appear to have a fuck you attitude it's put on...

guysmiley

#20 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:08 am

Mescal wrote:I think that in the Stoner/doom/hardcore genre there still are some musicians living the Rock N Roll lifestyle. Drink, drugs, not giving a fuck. But then again, they're not popular
I was in a few bands like this back in Portland. They have a great scene there. All my bands and I have been know to knock back a pint or two and play loudly. None of us give a shit about bullshit appearances and all the other crap. I still piss people off, even though deep down I'm a nice guy. So yeah man. Lots of bands out there. You have to find them. And fuck GnR. I like a few of their songs, but I can't stand Axle and all the image crap.

guysmiley

#21 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:18 am

Also, personally I'm glad people and bands have become so desperate and PC just to make a buck. Their true colors show. I and many others will do this until we die if we can help it. Money or not. I love to play and there are people out there who don't give a shit about the game the music business has become. And fuck me, social media had just made it worse (or better to see how sad bands get). At least things have become a little more transparent for better or worse. I sometimes wonder if Perry, Axle, or anyone else back then would actually appear as cool as they so desperately tried to be. Also, I don't need to think a band is "dangerous" or do drugs as a prerequisite for me liking them. Maybe when I was 15.

guysmiley

#22 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 am

Some Northwest Heavy Stuff
Red Fang

Rollie Fingers ( I helped write this song)

Bison Bc

Black Pussy

Lord Dying

LJF

#23 Post by LJF » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:57 am

Sure but they are all now rap groups.

Essence_Smith

#24 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:26 pm

LJF wrote:Sure but they are all now rap groups.
:nod:
ding ding ding

guysmiley

#25 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
LJF wrote:Sure but they are all now rap groups.
:nod:
ding ding ding
I think your confusing genres with something called "passion" or "feeling". If you wanted a rap thread, then you should have started one. I like rap, but come on. If you ask a "rock" question don't bow out with the first answer you like. Yes, some of those folks are coming up in the shit places which create great music. I love it. But rock music has been gentrified. There still is the real thing if you care to look. If not, fuck off and die.
Last edited by guysmiley on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.