Something Brewing

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
tubro

Re: Something Brewing

#76 Post by tubro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:23 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Well, this will be the first ny-area show i purposely skip since 09 (well besides that times square show). I thought the band played well when i saw them at the paramount a few years ago, but the crowd was the lamest ive ever seen. almost ruined the show. damn long islanders! :lol:

but yeah, even if i did want to travel out on the island, those ticket prices are insane.
wow man that's fucking impressive. i still catch them when they're around but i've missed a lot of local shows in the past bunch of years. they're just here so damned much. i saw TGEA at wellmont, that bullshit free phone promo show at terminal 5, times square, that brooklyn outdoor show, maybe one or two others, but i've certainly missed a bunch too. sad to say that while i enjoyed most of those shows, i'm absolutely positive that i didn't miss a thing in any of the shows i missed (except maybe gathering of the vibes, but that's far away and sort of doesn't count).

i'll miss these though. without even a second thought.

a few other thoughts. on that new festival being a bullshit low even lower than the one with 38 special, and how 'perry won 't say no to anything', i have a feeling that he had not intention of saying yes to a racetrack fair show or a mostly country bumfuck festival, but nobody else is offering anything. for that i say it's sad and a little pathetic but at the same time they're entitled to make a living and summer festival touring is how many bands do that. they're not much of a draw and they're taking the scraps they are offered.

so sad that it would take them time they're not willing to devote to learn ritual. fuck man, they play nearly all of it whenver they do a show. so they'd have to 'learn' 3 songs that they already know? that's what? a half day in a rehearsal studio and two run-thru's at soundcheck.

it's a shame that they're so obsolete and irrelevant. but it's a fact.

tubro

#77 Post by tubro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:38 pm

hokahey wrote:
creep wrote:another show. i guess officially jane's are back....again

summerfest in wisconsin. they seem to have fallen down pretty far on the lineup. there are a few bands above them that i have never heard of.

Was reading about this on another inernet forum. People were trying to decide between seeing Weird Al and Jane's. :lolol:

It was interesting seeing people say "well, janes is one of those bands everyone needs to see before they die."
there's some nice stuff on that bizarre and random festival. and some mighty fetid shit.
if my dear friend Mo, who was production manager for huge rock concerts and festivals, hadn't died and still gave me laminates and a backstage backstage to hang out in when i didn't want to be out in the house, and he was running this one, i'd go, and pop out for trombone shorty, flaming lips, mavis staples, gary clarke, blind boys of alabama, public enemy, dirty dozen brass band, buddy guy, gogol bordello and a few others. on the other hand, jane's stellar reputation is enhanced here by sharing a bill with weird al, the doobie brothers, PARIs FUCKING HILTON, kansas, foghat, smashmouth and taylor dayne.

pat benatar goes on both lists. everyone's got their guilty pleasures. she's one of mine. hit me with your best shot indeed.

stonevibe

#78 Post by stonevibe » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am

Hopefully Perry will permanantly lose his voice and become a mute this year.

bman

#79 Post by bman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:15 pm

More shows:

Philly, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Seattle, Portland:

http://janesaddiction.com/events

Jasper

#80 Post by Jasper » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:56 am

My friend sent a text last night telling me that Jane's is performing in his town in NY. He's a casual fan, so he's not up on JA things at all. He was with me at the Relapse show at the Hammerstein Ballroom on Halloween in 1997, and he was also with me at a P4P Enit show in Massachusetts, so he has personally witnessed better days.

I don't know what to tell him. It's possible he could have a good time, but it's also possible I could spare him a terrible disappointment.

Matz

#81 Post by Matz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:27 am

:lol: I'll say.....don't do it...unless you hate the guy

creep
Site Admin

#82 Post by creep » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:04 am

Jasper wrote:My friend sent a text last night telling me that Jane's is performing in his town in NY. He's a casual fan, so he's not up on JA things at all. He was with me at the Relapse show at the Hammerstein Ballroom on Halloween in 1997, and he was also with me at a P4P Enit show in Massachusetts, so he has personally witnessed better days.

I don't know what to tell him. It's possible he could have a good time, but it's also possible I could spare him a terrible disappointment.
to the casual fan it would probably be a great time.

i'm sure most of us would probably still have an ok time. i just refuse to support the laziest band ever. there are just so many times i can pay to see the same 12 songs over and over.

clickie

#83 Post by clickie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:53 am

I dont think theyre much different now than the shows Jaspers friend witnessed live. Perrys voice was already toast by then. There is a greater difference between janes 1991 thru 1997 than there is from janes 1997 thru 2015.

Tyler Durden

#84 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:54 am

I say consider it an experiment. Don't tell your friend what you think of the band now. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of someone now who hasn't been so emotionally invested like many of us here.

JOEinPHX

#85 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:41 am

Tyler Durden wrote:I say consider it an experiment. Don't tell your friend what you think of the band now. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of someone now who hasn't been so emotionally invested like many of us here.
I agree with this.

Jasper

#86 Post by Jasper » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:06 pm

He's too good of a friend for me to use him as a guinea pig. I'll just give him a mild version of my opinion.
clickie wrote:I dont think theyre much different now than the shows Jaspers friend witnessed live.
:crazy:

bman

#87 Post by bman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:33 pm

To the casual fan, even non fans, they'll fucking love the shows. Are you kidding me. There still a pretty darn good cover band of the themselves. and Sometimes they are even spot on. If Perry feels good it's still a good show.

Ted, Ocean, 3 Days, hopefully Whores. These still rock.

JOEinPHX

#88 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Normally I wouldn't agree with bman on present day Jane's, but I agree. Jane's Addiction as a live band is still good, they just aren't great as we have seen.

They certainly held their own last time I saw them. Perry can't really sing anymore, but musically the other 3 are still solid. It's worth seeing for a casual fan. Especially if tickets are reasonable.

creep
Site Admin

#89 Post by creep » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Normally I wouldn't agree with bman on present day Jane's, but I agree. Jane's Addiction as a live band is still good, they just aren't great as we have seen.

They certainly held their own last time I saw them. Perry can't really sing anymore, but musically the other 3 are still solid. It's worth seeing for a casual fan. Especially if tickets are reasonable.
this is six7's april fools joke

JOEinPHX

#90 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:53 pm

creep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Normally I wouldn't agree with bman on present day Jane's, but I agree. Jane's Addiction as a live band is still good, they just aren't great as we have seen.

this is six7's april fools joke
Please note that I still shit talked Perry.

So I was clearly being serious.

bman

#91 Post by bman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:40 am

Jane Says Alaska.

7/24: Blue Loon in Anchorage and 7/25 at Moose Tooth pub. Now that is a crowd I'd like to see.

Everybody's Friend

#92 Post by Everybody's Friend » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:20 pm

bman wrote:Jane Says Alaska.

7/24: Blue Loon in Anchorage and 7/25 at Moose Tooth pub. Now that is a crowd I'd like to see.
Even Bman finally admits that watching the crowd would be more interesting than watching the band. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#93 Post by creep » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:21 pm

bman wrote: Moose Tooth pub]
jane's addiction pub tour 2015 :conf:

JOEinPHX

#94 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:22 pm

creep wrote:
http://moosestooth.net/gallery/

This appears to be what they will be playing in:

A far cry from those amphitheaters NIN let them headline.

Matz

#95 Post by Matz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:21 am

:lol: :lol: Oh god, that's horrible...please call it a day...forever!!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#96 Post by Hokahey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:04 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:
http://moosestooth.net/gallery/

This appears to be what they will be playing in:

A far cry from those amphitheaters NIN let them headline.
Oh Perry. You stupid, stupid man. 1998 and 2010 were the two years this band could have reclaimed some of their glory and instead they crapped it away. First Perry let religion screw it up, then his wife.

Essence_Smith

#97 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:07 am

All of your scorn is misplaced and should be saved for when they sink to lower depths...they haven't played at any malls yet have they?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#98 Post by Hokahey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:40 am

Essence_Smith wrote:All of your scorn is misplaced and should be saved for when they sink to lower depths...they haven't played at any malls yet have they?
They played at a shoe store once.

Essence_Smith

#99 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:46 am

hokahey wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:All of your scorn is misplaced and should be saved for when they sink to lower depths...they haven't played at any malls yet have they?
They played at a shoe store once.
Was it a high end shoe store at least? :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#100 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Basically, yeah.

They played that John Varvatos store, remember?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2008/09/janes_a ... ealin.html