Re: Site running poorly?

#21 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:21 am

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:48 am
creep wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:06 am
Hype wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:33 am
Not that it matters anymore, but this is just a super-outdated way to have this kind of community, and probably we could transition to something much easier and free, like a Discord channel.

In fact, I just created one. Here's the invite link: https://discord.gg/P4U4ngsN

You should be able to just create any "channel" you want to replicate the topics in this forum.
when the hosting is up for renewal I think this would be a good idea. :thumb:
I much prefer this. I'll pay for renewal if needed.
I know what you mean. It's not quite the same.

I also think it's possible to move the MySQL database to a perfectly acceptable free cloud database service, but it looks like phpBB is tricky to get running with the ones I'm familiar with.

And it'd probably be way too much work to get something else running (like a NodeJS backend with a React forum front-end). I tried searching for alternatives to phpBB that would be easy to set up and be very similar to this, but haven't found anything yet. If I find something that takes minimal effort, I'll see if I can get it set up, but probably leaving things as is is the best option for now.

The Discord server will remain open for anyone who wants it, though!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 am

Hype wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:21 am
Hokahey wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:48 am
creep wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:06 am
Hype wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:33 am
Not that it matters anymore, but this is just a super-outdated way to have this kind of community, and probably we could transition to something much easier and free, like a Discord channel.

In fact, I just created one. Here's the invite link: https://discord.gg/P4U4ngsN

You should be able to just create any "channel" you want to replicate the topics in this forum.
when the hosting is up for renewal I think this would be a good idea. :thumb:
I much prefer this. I'll pay for renewal if needed.
I know what you mean. It's not quite the same.

I also think it's possible to move the MySQL database to a perfectly acceptable free cloud database service, but it looks like phpBB is tricky to get running with the ones I'm familiar with.

And it'd probably be way too much work to get something else running (like a NodeJS backend with a React forum front-end). I tried searching for alternatives to phpBB that would be easy to set up and be very similar to this, but haven't found anything yet. If I find something that takes minimal effort, I'll see if I can get it set up, but probably leaving things as is is the best option for now.

The Discord server will remain open for anyone who wants it, though!
Thanks for the effort.

This place is kind of like looking at an old zine for me. It's largely irrelevant and hardly anyone still reads it, but I like the smell of the old paper.

If any of this was still relevant and there were more than a dozen regulars I'd be more interested in pushing it forward.

Then again, this became Creeps baby a very long time ago. So my opinion may be irrelevant.

I'd just be sad to see the current set up go. It sort of captures the space and time it and the band were still semi relevant. A bit of a time capsule.

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:36 am

Oh, yeah, totally agreed! Finding a way to archive it (on GitHub) with a way to still view it, and maybe even use it, without having to pay for a server would be really cool.