NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Updates, suggestions, comments related to the site/board

NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby tvrec » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:27 pm

This note isn't precisely an admin suggestion as much as it is a general one.

I know I don't post a lot, but I do read the forum pretty much daily and post with moderate frequency. I enjoy the company, the insight, the debates, the silly and stupid. But lately things have really gotten out of hand with all the mud slinging and the constant drive to make every thread somehow a commentary about how much better or worse NIN is compared to other bands.

I'd never say that we should only be talking about Jane's; this board remains relevant precisely because it doesn't limit itself only to that band. But let's try for a little more civility and move past whatever has gripped the board over the last few weeks and filled it with bickering and bashing.
tvrec
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby creep » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:32 pm

i agree. it's completely fucking stupid.
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby creep » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:45 pm

so let's try this. tyler....as much as you want to convince people they should like nin it will never work.

nyrexall you make yourself an easy target and seem to enjoy the silly back and forth for some reason.

why don't we all agree to move on from this and end it.

truce?
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Artemis » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:49 pm

tvrec wrote:This note isn't precisely an admin suggestion as much as it is a general one.

I know I don't post a lot, but I do read the forum pretty much daily and post with moderate frequency. I enjoy the company, the insight, the debates, the silly and stupid. But lately things have really gotten out of hand with all the mud slinging and the constant drive to make every thread somehow a commentary about how much better or worse NIN is compared to other bands.

I'd never say that we should only be talking about Jane's; this board remains relevant precisely because it doesn't limit itself only to that band. But let's try for a little more civility and move past whatever has gripped the board over the last few weeks and filled it with bickering and bashing.


Hear, hear! :cheers:


creep, good idea too about the truce.
User avatar
Artemis
 
Posts: 8051
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Hokahey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Too late.

Nyrexall and Jammyshill are banned.

I tried to proactively encourage Nyrexall to chill the fuck out but he wouldn't.

Jammyshill does nothing but troll.

I have received numerous messages regarding both being trolls and ruining the enjoyment of long term regulars.

Sorry boys. You just got voted off the island.

I'd suggest you take notice Tyler and chill the fuck out.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby creep » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:55 pm

it's probably what nyrexall wanted anyway. it was a suicide by cop.

one big happy family again.
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby kv » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:28 pm

I never asked for anyone to be banned but it's the right call...every day in the jane's thread i'd read rex and see the thread up top..."don't fuck up the forum" that's all he was doing

tyler on the other hand just gets wound up...he's one of us...a spazz like me at times but he's no troll

the fact hoka was getting pm's bitching makes me not regret calling rex out on his trollness

i know i turn into counter troll when trolls appear but it's mostly because i know if they are bugging me they have prob been bugging others a lot longer but i'm not shy

hoka if any bitching is coming my way know i will settle right back down to part time douche status :dunce:
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6735
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Hokahey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:11 pm

kv wrote:I never asked for anyone to be banned but it's the right call...every day in the jane's thread i'd read rex and see the thread up top..."don't fuck up the forum" that's all he was doing

tyler on the other hand just gets wound up...he's one of us...a spazz like me at times but he's no troll

the fact hoka was getting pm's bitching makes me not regret calling rex out on his trollness

i know i turn into counter troll when trolls appear but it's mostly because i know if they are bugging me they have prob been bugging others a lot longer but i'm not shy

hoka if any bitching is coming my way know i will settle right back down to part time douche status :dunce:


I'd say you have permanent residency at this point. :lol:

For me anyway there's a half dozen or so people that ARE these boards and are integral. Of course there are many more that are valued contributors.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Cobainsweater » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:28 pm

hokahey wrote:Too late.

Nyrexall and Jammyshill are banned.

I tried to proactively encourage Nyrexall to chill the fuck out but he wouldn't.


The fuck you did. All you talked about was how seriously I was taking this place, and then had a super-raging meltdown when things weren’t going your way.

Not surprising you banned the two posters who repeatedly made you look like the fucking goof you are, either. It’s all fair and fun until Hoka gets his internet feelings hurt :lol:

I have received numerous messages regarding both being trolls and ruining the enjoyment of long term regulars.


I laughed big time when I read this.

A bunch of grown adults squealing like third graders to the admin about a couple of guys who can give it back just as well as they can receive it? Imagine that.

But it’s perfectly okay for Hoka to make a fake account and call me a faggot. Laughs all around on that one.

And yea, I know it was you who did that. At least try to come up with a different paragraph style if you’re going to troll me anonymously, dumbass.

Sorry boys. You just got voted off the island.


Oh no! I got banned from Hoka’s unofficial Jane’s Addiction fanboard! Where everyone bashes Perry and Etty but takes offense to everything else. Where we can give shit but can’t take shit in return.

It’s a wonder you and Handsome Mike haven’t gone into the internet message board business together.

How am I ever going to recover from this one? :lol:

I'd suggest you take notice Tyler and chill the fuck out.


Yea Tyler, chill the fuck out.

Don’t call out the admin on what a clueless internet pudwhack he is, or argue with his fellow-fortysomething counterpart troll KV.

You might find yourself dismissed from the Jane’s Addiction fanboard island Image
Cobainsweater
 

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby kv » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:40 pm

for someone who doesn't care he sure cares a lot
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6735
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Hokahey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:58 pm

kv wrote:for someone who doesn't care he sure cares a lot


He's also delusional. I made a fake account?

Go home NYRexall. You're embarrassing yourself.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 am

creep wrote:so let's try this. tyler....as much as you want to convince people they should like nin it will never work.


For what feels like the tenth time I have said this, I don't care if people don't like the bands I like...I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE APPROACH. Pandemonium sets an excellent example of how you can have a differing opinion that is detailed, respectful, and articulate...an opinion that isn't just "[insert band or album name here] sucks giant hairy balls" and then goes on to include personal insults directed at opposing board members.

LET ME REITERATE: this has nothing to do with people who don't hold the same opinion as me. This is about a desire to have an open dialogue about music that is relatively mature and intelligent.

This goes for discussions about NIN, Kings Of Leon, Menudo, Yanni, whatever...
User avatar
Tyler Durden
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby perkana » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Well, people won't change Tyler, don't fight with it. Go with the flow and yeah, chill out
User avatar
perkana
 
Posts: 5049
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby kv » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:18 am

Tyler Durden wrote:LET ME REITERATE: this has nothing to do with people who don't hold the same opinion as me. This is about a desire to have an open dialogue about music that is relatively mature and intelligent.





But understand at the same time that's your want.

If I don't like a band I should be able to just say "to me, they suck" and not have to get into details with someone who clearly has a different view/tastes.

I don't really give a fuck why someone likes something if I don't...if a person doesn't like the taste of something you are never gonna change them by saying how great it tastes to you...who fucking cares?

I'm not arguing with you dude, I'm just expressing another view...mine.
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6735
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby perkana » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:22 am

yup, sometimes it sucks balls is a better way than an extensive discussion about the negative and positive aspects of it :noclue:
User avatar
perkana
 
Posts: 5049
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:25 am

kv wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:LET ME REITERATE: this has nothing to do with people who don't hold the same opinion as me. This is about a desire to have an open dialogue about music that is relatively mature and intelligent.





But understand at the same time that's your want.

If I don't like a band I should be able to just say "to me, they suck" and not have to get into details with someone who clearly has a different view/tastes.

I don't really give a fuck why someone likes something if I don't...if a person doesn't like the taste of something you are never gonna change them by saying how great it tastes to you...who fucking cares?

I'm not arguing with you dude, I'm just expressing another view...mine.


I know you're not arguing. I'm just saying, it's not a matter of changing anyone's mind...I just like hear the reason for opposing views. I'm a critic that way; when it comes to music and film, I love reading reviews where the writer says something is bad (even if I disagree) if it is written well. Hell, there are some reviews that are actually better than the albums or movies they are based on.

And yeah, that is my want...and I guess I am expecting too much from some people (that isn't directed at anyone specific and I'm not meaning for that to sound snide).

Anyway, I'm surprised no one commented on my avatar; I think it's funny as hell. :lol:
User avatar
Tyler Durden
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Matov » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:38 am

hey everyone, i know i might be out of line joining in on the discussion without having been a part of the whole deal but having had two bans and seeing how things seem to be heating up rather frequently round here, i thought i'd come out of lurkinland to throw in my two cents. i really enjoy this place, even when it gets melodramatic but i hate to see some of its most active members go just because they can't handle their shit. even if they had it coming. i mean it all goes back to the whole bar analogy. back in the final xiola days, it would come down to "you don't just walk into a bar and start pissing the regulars off, because it will most likely get you kicked out or at least make you an unwanted presence there".

What happened recently with rexall and jammy was even more radical, in that they started getting personal with the fucking bartender. you just don't piss the bartender off because at the end of the day he will either kick you out or spit on your beer. not smart. And why would you even go that much often to a bar where you don´t like the personnel and engage in direct arguments with them on a daily basis? I mean i know if i get a kick out of going somewhere and all of a sudden it gets hostile with the bartender, i'll just go somewhere else even if i'm in the right, because who the fuck cares if i "win" a discussion with some dude in a bar. So that's that.

On agreeing or not on wether this or that band is awesome or sucks balls, or if they're a steaming hot pile of shit, i think there's a perfectly civil way of wanting people to express themselves in a more elaborate way, not getting it, but not resorting to personal insults all the same. right? i mean, i sure as hell know hypersonic gets lots and lots of shit for liking gogol bordello, but that doesn't ever end up in a flamewar with subsequential bans... at least that i can remember.

Hope this helps restore peace to the boards :noclue:
Matov
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby Hokahey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:10 am

The issue is there were/are some that couldn't handle flippant dismissal of the new NIN. I personally ran out of energy long ago explaining why I think Trent lost it, and I didn't feel the need to write a thesis on my opinion.

Even when I did do it more articulately, it made no difference. People read what they want to read and react how they've decided they're going to react based on preconceived notions.

At some point, there was nothing I could have said in that thread without completely tip toeing around negativity that wouldn't have resulted in me being attacked.

And you know what? I couldn't care less personally. I grew up on these boards. I know the drill. I don't take it personally. Sometimes people get overly passionate and irrational and guard their precious thread/opinion like a rabid dog.

The issue is that it started spilling in to every single other thread. You don't need to be the NIN defense force on offense. You don't need to find unrelated threads and proactively preach the merits the god Reznor.

Eventually they were just shitting up the entire board, and the people that have always been here and will probably always be here were tired of sifting through the garbage.

I personally couldn't care less if someone dislikes me or even insults me. I'm all for a little fun.

But it shouldn't disrupt the entire board to the deteriment of everyone trying to enjoy it.

You're not that fucking important.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby perkana » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:11 am

I think you pretty much nailed it Matov. I hope I'm back to my usual mood, because I have to say that hormones were a big part of it. So I'm sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean to.
User avatar
perkana
 
Posts: 5049
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: NIN vs. Jane's, bickering, bashing, etc.

Postby perkana » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:16 am

hokahey wrote: I don't take it personally

I think that this is what helps me move on and just enjoy the board. I still don't get it why someone who doesn't like nor respect its members keeps coming back. I for sure wouldn't go back to some place that makes me feel uncomfortable and pissed off most of the times. Maybe it's time to stay at the boards you enjoy or even start your own?
User avatar
perkana
 
Posts: 5049
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Next

Return to Suggestion Box

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron