TV

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

TV

#1 Post by SR » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am

I think I am going to cancel Dish network. I've been realizing that it is a very real distraction to time better served. I would really miss sports, but I can make it out to a bar or someplace else to see must see games.

Anyone here get rid of TV and if so, has it made any impact on yr life?Anyone feel like TV has had a negative....positive, or neutral impact on yr life?

Larry B.

Re: TV

#2 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 pm

I've owned a proper TV for 2 years now, and it serves the purpose i got it for: watching sports, watching movies I buy/download/rent and entertaining my friends with a Wii.

I spent a few years without a TV and I'd recommend it for most people. Most of the time I'm 'accompanied' by a piece of technology anyway (iPod, music via iTunes, South Park or Friends in my computer, random documentaries I find on the Internet, Kindle, etc.), but I'd say it's a lot better, healthier and smarter when you have complete control of what you're entertained with. Without a TV, if you're not learning something at least you're not becoming a little stupider by watching 4 minutes of ads for every 7 minutes of programming.

kv

#3 Post by kv » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:05 pm

i got rid of direct tv years ago...i have a vizio 27 inch tv as my comp monitor and i do have a dig antenna on it for local channels..i download and watch a few shows a week on my own time and stream sports or if i am lucky and they are on local i will watch them there for the high def...tv for the most part bores the shit outa me now it''s strange if i am over at my moms house for dinner and she goes to bed sometimes i will sit and watch it for a bit and it almost always just puts me to sleep...and much like larry said why wtch tv when you can dl shows edited and watch them in 1/4 of the time without being force feed ads

SR

#4 Post by SR » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Ironically, with the vast increase in content, I think there has been an increase in quality.....but I don't watch shows like Mad Men, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, etc. I don't spring for the extra channels.

The idea of watching these shows online is intriguing, but I lack the internet savvy to accomplish this. Too, I am in a position right now where I am having to read heroic amounts of VERY dense material, so it (TV) is actaully carving noticably larger portions of my time than I can affford and not doing anything to sharpen much needed skills right now. :lol:

kv

#5 Post by kv » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:00 pm

come on sr you must know how to torrent?

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:05 pm

with sports and movies i will never give up the satellite. it's well worth the $100 a month to me.

since i travel a lot i do use this site to watch the kings when on the road. last night i got to watch them foul a three point shot at the end of regulation and after the three free throws were made they lost in overtime. :balls:

this site is great for ufc and boxing too. you get some ads that are annoying but it's still worth it.

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/

crater

#7 Post by crater » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Ever since the History, Discovery and National Geographic channels went full redneck, with all their lame swamp, logger, trucker, gun "reality" shows, I watch less and less TV.

Pretty much the only thing keeping me from canceling DirecTV is because I love so many of the shows on HBO.

Life's Too Short is fucking hilarious btw

SR

#8 Post by SR » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 pm

kv wrote:come on sr you must know how to torrent?
:dunce: , although I think I've pulled some megauploads from here....if I remember correctly, I had to click something then wait some minutes until it directed me somewhere and I got the Mp3.

intertwoven

#9 Post by intertwoven » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Haven't had regular TV in 3 years. Everything I watch these days is torrented or Netflix'd. I've had to give up sports, but my teams always sucked anyways, so it's probably for the best.

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 pm

If it wasn't for my wife, I wouldn't have subscription (DirecTV) tv. All I basically watch is the nightly news before or after dinner, the occasional Sunday night FOX Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad junk and the odd science/tech show and maybe a couple concerts on Palladia HD and 1 or 2 old movies on the MGM, Universal and Sony HD channels per month - all of which I can do without. My wife records and watches a ton of crime and mystery shows every week.

The vast majority of any TV viewing I do is late night movies bought or rented on dvd, Blu-ray and even laserdisc once in a blue moon after everyone goes to bed. I will say I am pretty OCD about watching something in as top quality as I can get. Watching a show or movie from a stream on my PC bugs the fuck outta me with the posturized and banding color, the occasional stuttering and outright freezes in image and shitty sound. I have had several people recommend Vudu.com for their large selection of cult and horror movies in HD so I will eventually give them a shot.

Juana

#11 Post by Juana » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:11 pm

I still watch a lot of NBA and sometimes I watch some NCAAF. As for other shows I watch the streams namely because I'm not watching it normally when it airs on TV. I do however enjoy hanging out on Sundays and watching some Animal Planet.

Mescal

#12 Post by Mescal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:12 pm

SR wrote:I think I am going to cancel Dish network. I've been realizing that it is a very real distraction to time better served. I would really miss sports, but I can make it out to a bar or someplace else to see must see games.

Anyone here get rid of TV and if so, has it made any impact on yr life?Anyone feel like TV has had a negative....positive, or neutral impact on yr life?
We don't have cable or digital or direct TV, whatever you want to call it.

We only have a TV with an antenna, which makes us get the twe "national" channels. That means those channels are paid for by the government, so means no commercials etc. Just gives me opportunity to watch the news.

It's been little more than a year since we've given up cable TV.

TV just makes you dumb and ignorant, and most shows are an absolute waste of time.

I prefer listening to one of my 1000+ records, or give an intimate dj set for my wife. So she reads, breastfeeds or whatever and I put on some tunes. I think that's a better use of my evening than watching tv.

Just my 2 cents :wiggle:

Romeo

#13 Post by Romeo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:51 am

I give you a lot of credit.
I could never give up my TV
:rockon:

Warped

#14 Post by Warped » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am

We have payTV due to our endless desire to watch soccer :lol: We watch everything, Bundesliga, UEFA cup, CL, DFB Pokal, english and spanish soccer and nowadays everything soccer related here is on payTV - so no other chance. Sometimes we also watch Golf or Formula 1 but i lost interest in that the last years.

The only other things i watch on TV are crime movies, real crime stories, the news, some regional programmes and if i am bored to death some reality soap. :lol:

Oh and we definitely need it to play Wii with our son. :thumb:

perkana

#15 Post by perkana » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:06 pm

crater wrote: Pretty much the only thing keeping me from canceling DirecTV is because I love so many of the shows on HBO.

Life's Too Short is fucking hilarious btw
That's the new one from Rick Gervais? Or Simon Pegg? I don't know, but I know that is the one with the short guy from Harry Potter and it looks really funny

crater

#16 Post by crater » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm

perkana wrote:
crater wrote: Life's Too Short is fucking hilarious btw
That's the new one from Rick Gervais?
That's the one. The show is great. I like all the Ricky Gervais shows. The cartoon, Idiot Abroad and now Life's Too Short.

lollapaloser

#17 Post by lollapaloser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:53 am

intertwoven wrote:Haven't had regular TV in 3 years. Everything I watch these days is torrented or Netflix'd. I've had to give up sports, but my teams always sucked anyways, so it's probably for the best.
Is your avatar from Zaxxon?

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:19 pm

crater wrote:
perkana wrote:
crater wrote: Life's Too Short is fucking hilarious btw
That's the new one from Rick Gervais?
That's the one. The show is great. I like all the Ricky Gervais shows. The cartoon, Idiot Abroad and now Life's Too Short.
i just started watching this show and i have watched all six episodes so far in the last couple days. it's a really funny show...especially last nights episode when he threw out his new washing machine.

the liam neeson episode was really funny too.

Pure Method

#19 Post by Pure Method » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:30 pm

cancelled my cable this semester, partially because Time Warner is the blurst, but also because it wasn't worth the 20$ extra on my cable bill, what with hulu, piracy, and homework.