Colbert Report Suspended

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Colbert Report Suspended

#1 Post by chaos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:35 pm

I don't watch him every night, so I did not realize this happened yesterday until a few minutes ago. What do you think is going on?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... planation/
February 16, 2012, 10:47 AM

‘Colbert Report’ Suspended Without Explanation

By DAVE ITZKOFF
A spokesman for Comedy Central said on Thursday morning that the taping of “The Colbert Report” had been suspended on Wednesday evening and would be again on Thursday due to “unforeseen circumstances,” but the network did not immediately provide additional details of what led to the cancellations.

Audience members who planned to attend Wednesday’s taping of Stephen Colbert’s satirical news show wrote online that they had been sent notices from “The Colbert Report,” telling them the taping was canceled and that they would have to make reservations for a new date. Instead of broadcasting a new show, which was to have featured Claire Danes as a guest, Comedy Central showed a rerun on Wednesday night.

The author Susan Cain, who was to have appeared on Thursday’s taping of the show, wrote on her Twitter feed that this taping had been canceled as well and that her booking had been rescheduled for March.

Steve Albani, a spokesman for Comedy Central, said in an e-mail: “Due to unforeseen circumstances, the show will air repeat episodes on Wednesday, February 15 and Thursday, February 16.” Customarily “The Colbert Report” does not tape new episodes on Fridays.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Colbert Report Suspended

#2 Post by creep » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 pm

:noclue: he probably just had a family emergency.

chaos

#3 Post by chaos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:17 pm

You would think that they would issue a statement along those lines rather than being so mysterious. I am sure he wants his privacy, but there are numerous rumors swirling.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Not a huge fan of the "Report" but I've loved Stephen Colbert since the Strangers with Candy days. Hope all is well.

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:08 pm

I'm kind of surprised that guy has a show every night, I'd think that that character of his would get old after a while

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Matz wrote:I'm kind of surprised that guy has a show every night, I'd think that that character of his would get old after a while
It does. I wish he did a show where he was just himself.

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Matz wrote:I'm kind of surprised that guy has a show every night, I'd think that that character of his would get old after a while
Around the last Presidential election I watched his show for about 6 months and thought it was pretty funny most of the time. After Obama was elected, it just seemed like his show suddenly ran out of energy and I've watched it maybe 5 times in the last 3 years.

Juana

#8 Post by Juana » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Its probably a family illness his mom is in her 90's and I'm sure he has in laws as well. It will all play its self out.

chaos

#9 Post by chaos » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 am

http://gothamist.com/2012/02/19/colbert ... ping_t.php
After the show was suspended last week due to "an emergency in Mr. Colbert's family," the Times' Brian Stelter reports that The Colbert Report will resume production tomorrow. Though sources close to Colbert said that he was caring for his 91-year-old mother Lorna, that information was never confirmed. On Friday, Colbert tweeted: "My family and I would like to thank everyone who has offered their thoughts and prayers. We are grateful and touched by your concern."

The youngest of 11 children, Colbert is said to have an "especially tight relationship" with his mother after his father and two brothers died in a plane crash when he was ten.
I had no idea that he had experienced such a tragedy (or that he is the youngest of 11 kids :yikes: ).

guysmiley

#10 Post by guysmiley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:56 am

wow, me neither. :sad: Seems like most comedians have a lot of sadness or tragedy in their lives and comedy offers an out for some. Maybe these things give them insight?