First Show Ever Thread

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Re: First Show Ever Thread

#51 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:38 pm

jptm wrote:also, re:that show... I remember standing in the beer line before the show, and I notice that in front of me is one of the guys from Ratt---I go "hey, your the bass player in Ratt, right?". and he looks at me kinda pissed-off like and goes, "naw, dude---I'm the drummer." It was Bobbly Blotzer... he ended up talking to me for a few moments, telling me that Sam was gonna blow my mind...
A buddy who was in a Hollywood metal band around '93 that never went anywhere (I did their promo album art, maybe that explains it) knew Blotzer. What he told me was Bobby fully expected his band to drop off the map at any time, that they were one flop album away from getting booted off their label so he was investing his money in several LA area laudromats. I dunno if that was true or if he's now the Laundry King of LA, but I always thought that was funny for some reason.
jptm wrote: He was the best guest on Stern; period. His fight with him, the make-up, it was all gold.

I really miss Sam. He was a truly one-of-a-kind comedian; unstoppable at his peak.
Yeah, Kinison on Stern was always radio gold. I was recently listening Stern's old "Banned By The FCC" cd set and there's a bit with Kinison arguing with Jessica Hahn and it's brutal as fuck but funnier than hell at the same time.

nausearockpig

#52 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:33 am

Pretty sure it was Ratcat on 19th June 1991.. at the Queensland University of Technology Refectory (that's a fancy name for cafeteria)..

http://www.saminator.com/1991/06/19/rat ... -jun-1991/

so the singer is still kicking around the traps a couple of years ago....

http://www.saminator.com/2010/08/29/sim ... -aug-2010/

perkana

#53 Post by perkana » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Andy Summers May 1990. Won 2 tickets. It was his solo tour but we made him play Police songs in the end. It was the first time I passed a doobie too :lol:

crater

#54 Post by crater » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Bobby fully expected his band to drop off the map at any time, that they were one flop album away from getting booted off their label so he was investing his money in several LA area laudromats. I dunno if that was true or if he's now the Laundry King of LA, but I always thought that was funny for some reason.
Bobby didn't get into laundromats, he started buying vending machines. I saw him mention it a few weeks back on that Metal Evolution show that's been running on VH1 Classic.

blackcoffee

#55 Post by blackcoffee » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:04 pm

First show without parents was Joan Jett in SD at the KGB 101.5 skyshow. I was with a bartender who worked for my dad. I spent my cash on hotdogs and licorice ropes and watched a girl in leopard skin pants get high with some kind of inhalant. This was likely 1980. I was ten.

Then, I saw The Police at William and Mary on their Synchronicity tour when I was 12. Shortly after, Thompson Twins and the Fixx in San Diego.

Last show was Thao and the Get Down Stay Down in Seattle. I was 41.

ant

#56 Post by ant » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Prince 1985 @ Nassau Coliseum in Long Island on the Purple Rain tour. ! was 13. My friend's dad got the tickets and drove us out there from NJ. Incredible show and amazing as a first real rock concert. I don't know what happened to my friend but I'm always thankful for his dad taking us to this show.

trevor ayer

#57 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 am

ant wrote:Prince 1985 @ Nassau Coliseum in Long Island on the Purple Rain tour. ! was 13. My friend's dad got the tickets and drove us out there from NJ. Incredible show and amazing as a first real rock concert. I don't know what happened to my friend but I'm always thankful for his dad taking us to this show.
officially jealous .. i saw prince 2 times on hits tours and it was ok but nothing special compared to his wb records .. my first was michael jackson victory tour .. i was like 14 or somethng rediculous .. up in montreal .. prince was still gritty around purple rain .. there are some rediculously good boots from that era

Pandemonium

#58 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 am

ant wrote:Prince 1985 @ Nassau Coliseum in Long Island on the Purple Rain tour. ! was 13. My friend's dad got the tickets and drove us out there from NJ. Incredible show and amazing as a first real rock concert. I don't know what happened to my friend but I'm always thankful for his dad taking us to this show.
I saw that tour as well. How that happened was I had taken a date to see U2 a few months before during their Unforgettable Fire tour at the LA Sports Arena and I came down with the *worst* case of stomach flu or food poisoning I can ever recall right as the show started. I didn't even make it 2 songs into U2's set before I had to leave and go out to the car. BTW, this was the 2nd U2 show in a row for that tour I had tickets for and basically missed the show (the first being a few months earlier when our van broke down on the freeway). I did wind up seeing a show a week later during that stand in LA. Anyway, she came out a couple songs later saying "I don't like them, let's just get you home" so that was the end of that, or so I thought.

A week later she called me up saying she had a pair of tickets to see Prince at the LA Forum to make up for the lousy U2 experience (which was really my fault, lol!). Yeah, the show was excellent, although there were a couple bits that showed Prince was about to go off the rails (Prince "talking" to God, etc). That was a big step up from when I first saw Prince open for The Rolling Stones at the LA Coliseum in '81 where he got pelted with shoes and trash right off the stage.

Pandemonium

#59 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 am

crater wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Bobby fully expected his band to drop off the map at any time, that they were one flop album away from getting booted off their label so he was investing his money in several LA area laudromats. I dunno if that was true or if he's now the Laundry King of LA, but I always thought that was funny for some reason.
Bobby didn't get into laundromats, he started buying vending machines. I saw him mention it a few weeks back on that Metal Evolution show that's been running on VH1 Classic.
Heh, that's almost as bizaare. Did it work out for him?