Live shows in your agenda?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Re: Live shows in your agenda?

#251 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:32 am

Japhy wrote:If i had a choice of listening to a Mac song it would always be a Buckingham or Nicks number.

It's no dig on Christine though... just a stupid personal preference!
I have a strong liking for some of the Bob Welch era tunes. "Hypnotized" is up in my top 5 FM songs.

SR

#252 Post by SR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:35 am

Yes, he was clearly suffering from fatigue almost from the get go, obvious difficulty getting around his set, so the backup was working his toms in support mainly. I mean, I get it....the guy is pushing 70 and his lifestyle has not been geared towards good health in his twilight. What really bothered me was that he acknowledged all the two other players on keys and rhythm guitar SO ceremoniously.

And yeah, I love Hypnotized.....they did play world turning....old tune reminiscent of the era

JOEinPHX

#253 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Everclear, Live, Filter, and Sponge, TONIGHT!

Getting my 90s on, yo!

Pandemonium

#254 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:13 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Everclear, Live, Filter, and Sponge, TONIGHT!

Getting my 90s on, yo!
Sponge - there's a band I haven't heard anything from in years. I liked the one song "Plowed" a lot when their first album came out but they dropped off my radar after that.

Artemis

#255 Post by Artemis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 am

I just saw today that Simple Minds is doing an all hits tour. I think I'm going to get tickets. (If anyone wants to bug me about it, I will be okay. I promise not to blow a gasket. ). I saw Simple Minds and China Crisis back in the 80s. They were both great!

Also, Patti Smith has a show here in September. I'd like to go but I have tickets for another show the same night! :mad:

Tonight OMD! :aoa:

farrellgirl99

#256 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:25 am

bought tickets to see yeah yeah yeahs in brooklyn. too bad its an arena show and their new album sucks. i just want to see them again though

Hype

#257 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:29 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Everclear, Live, Filter, and Sponge, TONIGHT!

Getting my 90s on, yo!
It sounds like you're going to get drunk, survive a car accident, smoke a cigarette, and then have a bath...

Artemis

#258 Post by Artemis » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:33 am

Artemis wrote: Tonight OMD! :aoa:
Unfortunately, the show was cut short. The drummer has had a couple of heart attacks in the past, and the sweltering heat of the venue caused him to feel ill.
The 13 songs we got were EXCELLENT! The band sounded fantastic! Andy's 54 year old voice still sounds great, almost the same actually. The crowd was really into it dancing and singing along.

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark announced it will cancel the remainder of its North American tour — concerts that had been planned for Detroit, Minneapolis and Chicago over the next five days — after drummer Malcolm Holmes suffered a medical emergency that forced the band to cut short tonight’s show at Toronto’s Danforth Music Hall.

According to fan accounts posted on OMD’s Facebook page, about 90 minutes into the show, frontman Andy McCluskey announced that Holmes could no longer play, and therefore the band couldn’t finish the show in what was described as a sweltering club.

McCluskey later announced on the OMD website’s forum that Holmes “is going to be OK,” but that the band would have to cancel the last three concerts of North American tour, which began earlier this month at the same venue in Toronto. He did not elaborate on Holmes’ medical issues.

His full message:

Malcolm is going to be OK.. he had to go to hospital. Martin went with him to keep us posted. But At this moment I have heard that he is doing OK but needs to be checked over.

I cannot say any more at this time.

However, all the remaining USA concerts.. Detroit, Minneapolis and Chicago are going to have to be cancelled.

We are sorry but Malcolm is too important and we cannot put his health in further jeopardy..

There will be further updates.

Andy

Japhy

#259 Post by Japhy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Still ridiculously stoked at seeing Beck play an acoustic show in Cambridge (UK) a couple of Saturday's back. I used to idolise that guy and catch every single tour (i saw his 1st ever UK show... proper fanboy) but i'd seriously wobbled the past 6-7 years or so. Anyway, an acoustic show on my doorstep couldn't be ignored and along i went. Awesome, awesome show... songs like Rowboat, Mighty Good Leader and Its All In Your Mind don't always get outings, so to get all 3 was pretty magic.

I'm close to being a fanboy again.

blackula

#260 Post by blackula » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Neutral Milk Hotel 1/27/14!!!. Even though I just paid double on stub hub because it sold out by 12:01 today and it's at Webster Hall, I'm still beyond stoked.

I'm also seeing FlagIIII on 9/19. I accidentally bought VIP tickets for 50 bucks. Regular tickets are 30. VIP lets you cut the line to get in at Irving Plaza....woohoo. I'm having no luck lately with my ticket purchases.

perkana

#261 Post by perkana » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Decided finally to get tickets for this Fall festival

Juana

#262 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:59 am

Not sure what to expect but what the fuck its free right? Might as well

perkana

#263 Post by perkana » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Tickets went on sale today finally
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (40.76 KiB) Viewed 6244 times

Artemis

#264 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:25 am

http://www.uncut.co.uk/jack-white-patti ... ncert-news

This is a show I would like to check out:

Jack White, Patti Smith and Gillian Welch are among the artists playing a benefit concert in New York, produced by the Coen Brothers and T Bone Burnett.
The event - Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating The Music Of Inside Llewyn Davis - will take place at The Town Hall in New York City on Sunday, September 29, 2013.
It is inspired by Inside Llewyn Davis, the Coen's upcoming film set in the 1960s Greenwich Village folk music scene.
A portion of the proceeds from the concert will benefit the National Recording Preservation Foundation.
The concert will feature live performances of the film’s music, as well as songs from the early 1960s that inspired the film. Artists performing at the concert include The Avett Brothers, Joan Baez, Rhiannon Giddens of Carolina Chocolate Drops, Lake Street Dive, Colin Meloy of The Decemberists, Milk Carton Kids, Marcus Mumford, Conor Oberst, Punch Brothers, Secret Sisters, Patti Smith, Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings, Willie Watson, and Jack White.
Stars of the film will also perform at the event, including Oscar Isaac (who plays the title role in the film), Carey Mulligan, John Goodman and Stark Sands.
Tickets to the concert will go on sale to the general public on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM EDT at Ticketmaster.com.
Nonesuch Records releases the soundtrack to Inside Llewyn Davis on Monday, November 11, 2013; the film will open in the UK in January 2013.
You can read our first look review of Inside Llewyn Davis here.

NYRexall

#265 Post by NYRexall » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:33 am

Oh sweet christ yes, Deltron 3030 is playing DC and Philadelphia days before the first of the NIN shows I am attending:

http://pitchfork.com/news/52007-deltron ... orchestra/

With a 16-piece orchestra? Are you serious?? I am definitely checking out one or both.

tubro

#266 Post by tubro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:28 pm

i'm very late to this thread but i've got to defend steve miller. the guy never stopped being just what he is. crowd pleasing, terrific guitar playing dude with zero ego and the true spirit of the blues lover he is. unlike so many, the business has been great to him, in that that string of hits from the late 70s has kept him successful on the tour circuit. but the guy keeps putting out records, plays them for an appreciative crowd in nice theaters during the winter, and then does the greatest hits in sheds in the summer. i'd wager 95% or more of the artists who are still playing decades after they began could learn a lot from this guy. plus he's an old wisconsin liberal.
a friend of mine used to hang around with ben sidran, who went to college with steve miller and jeff greenfield from cnn, and who wrote space cowboy with him. one summer long ago, when classic rock radio was huge and miller was still big enough to headline sheds, we were hanging around backstage with ben and steve at (i think) jones beach, and someone asked steve who was opening the show. steve said 'just wait'. we took our seats and it turned out that he 'opened' his own show, with no intro, fronting a trio, just playing old blues tunes. he's not exactly a recognizable face and he was just wearing jeans and a tee shirt. he came out with no intro and just started playing. as if on cue, a kid of no more than 20 sitting in front of us saw our passes and struck up a conversation, telling us that steve miller was his all time favorite and asking us, in pretty much the same breath, who this guy was up on stage.
wally wrote:
Artemis wrote:It'll be a stoner and drunk fest too.
We had fun. Except for all the old people sitting in their chairs the entire time. Show the artists some appreciation dammit! Gorgeous night in the city and although the sound was echoing all over the place, damn if steve miller doesn't still sound exactly like he does on an album that came out 40 years ago.

tubro

#267 Post by tubro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:37 pm

my SG is and will always be set up peter green style. but that's a different time and band - just happen to have the same name, sort of like king crimson with greg lake and king crimson with adrian belew. i'll always have a soft spot for the buckingham/nicks era -- its genius pop and its era defining music -- and i'll always celebrate the genius of 'tusk'* but i'll never see them w/o christine. her voice makes it for me. i'd see buckingham any time though, except in an arena with this tired old band. love that guy and i'm sure he earns his pay in these shows. john probably does too. obviously mack is toast. stevie's been a goner for years.

* if you've never heard camper van beethoven's version of 'tusk' (the entire album) you're missing something great.
Pandemonium wrote:
Japhy wrote:If i had a choice of listening to a Mac song it would always be a Buckingham or Nicks number.

It's no dig on Christine though... just a stupid personal preference!
I have a strong liking for some of the Bob Welch era tunes. "Hypnotized" is up in my top 5 FM songs.

Artemis

#268 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:41 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Mission on 09/06. I mean...MIssion UK as they are known in North America.

Pandemonium

#269 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:19 pm

I came real close to grabbing a 3rd row Orchestra ticket for Black Sabbath in Irvine tomorrow. About 5pm today, Ticketmaster dumped a bunch of great seats but I just couldn't justify $162 to see and hear Ozzy croak his way through the classics and a couple new tunes that aren't even the best songs off the new album (they dropped Methademic weeks ago).

Matz

#270 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 am

162? that's steep. Sounds like Danish prices. I thought you rarely had to pay that much for a ticket in the states

farrellgirl99

#271 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:25 am

just got a QOTSA ticket :rockon:

but at fucking barclays again. everyone just plays brooklyn now, it sucks

Pandemonium

#272 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:48 pm

Matz wrote:162? that's steep. Sounds like Danish prices. I thought you rarely had to pay that much for a ticket in the states
For arena and major shed (outdoor 15K+ seat) venues, around $100 - $170 right outta Ticketmaster is typical for reserved seating in the best floor and loge sections for most big name bands here in the US. Thank God most bands I still have an interest in seeing play theaters and clubs where it's general admission and usually runs about $50 a pop. It's like the concert industry is some sort of bizarro world where the larger the venue and shittier the view and sound is, the more tickets cost.

MYXYLPLYX

#273 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:52 am

tubro wrote:i'm very late to this thread but i've got to defend steve miller. the guy never stopped being just what he is. crowd pleasing, terrific guitar playing dude with zero ego and the true spirit of the blues lover he is. unlike so many, the business has been great to him, in that that string of hits from the late 70s has kept him successful on the tour circuit. but the guy keeps putting out records, plays them for an appreciative crowd in nice theaters during the winter, and then does the greatest hits in sheds in the summer. i'd wager 95% or more of the artists who are still playing decades after they began could learn a lot from this guy. plus he's an old wisconsin liberal.
a friend of mine used to hang around with ben sidran, who went to college with steve miller and jeff greenfield from cnn, and who wrote space cowboy with him. one summer long ago, when classic rock radio was huge and miller was still big enough to headline sheds, we were hanging around backstage with ben and steve at (i think) jones beach, and someone asked steve who was opening the show. steve said 'just wait'. we took our seats and it turned out that he 'opened' his own show, with no intro, fronting a trio, just playing old blues tunes. he's not exactly a recognizable face and he was just wearing jeans and a tee shirt. he came out with no intro and just started playing. as if on cue, a kid of no more than 20 sitting in front of us saw our passes and struck up a conversation, telling us that steve miller was his all time favorite and asking us, in pretty much the same breath, who this guy was up on stage.
wally wrote:
Artemis wrote:It'll be a stoner and drunk fest too.
We had fun. Except for all the old people sitting in their chairs the entire time. Show the artists some appreciation dammit! Gorgeous night in the city and although the sound was echoing all over the place, damn if steve miller doesn't still sound exactly like he does on an album that came out 40 years ago.
Stevie "Guitar" Miller is a good guy and a great guitar player... but don't fool yourself by saying he has no ego. I've worked for him on many occasions; he is a very driven man and while unquestionably grateful for what he has, he is not shy about letting folks know what he is due.

The biggest thing for him, as I remember, is that whole Bohemian Grove secret society thing. Virtually all his close friends are members and most of his social life revolves around it. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#274 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:The biggest thing for him, as I remember, is that whole Bohemian Grove secret society thing. Virtually all his close friends are members and most of his social life revolves around it. :noclue:
I take it he's a Republican?

Larry B.

#275 Post by Larry B. » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:52 am

In November we'll have a double feature: Mondo Cane + Ennio Morricone (feat. Patton for a couple of songs).

Apparently, it'll be really expensive, so I might not go. But kinda cool, still.