Live shows in your agenda?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Re: Live shows in your agenda?

#301 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:However, they're now doing a "Metallica by Request" tour, where supposedly the audience votes beforehand on the setlist. Here is the current vote for the show in Santiago. I'm glad to see "Ride the Lightning" there. I don't know how much Metallica will stick to these voting or if it's even legit, but I checked out the voting for both shows in Argentina and they're quite different. So yeah, hopefully they won't play Frantic and St. Anger.
So I guess the line marks how many songs they'll play in the set? Everything above that line has been regularly played for years now except Orion which they included as a set closer just for the last year or two. I'd love to hear them play "Eye Of The Beholder" again. That hasn't been played since early on the "Black" album tour around '91. Also funny, the two very bottom songs rank high in my personal Metallica favorites.
Today I had to vote for the songs I want Metallica to play in the show. They'll play 18 songs: 1 new (chosen by them) and the other 17 by popular vote. These were my choices:

"Serious" (i.e., the ones I actually want to hear)

1. Fade to Black
2. Seek and Destroy
3. The Unforgiven
4. Creeping Death
5. Ride the Lightning
6. For Whom the Bell Tolls
7. Whiplash
8. The Four Horsemen
9. Fight Fire with Fire
10. Hit the Lights
11. Hero of the Day
12. Jump in the Fire
13. Of Wolf and Man

"Joke votes" (i.e., the ones I'd laugh at if they play them)

14. The Memory Remains
15. I Disappear
16. Mama Said
17. Turn the Page

I thought about voting for Eye of the Beholder, but standing at 780 votes there's hardly any chance of their playing it (the cut is currently at 3,200 votes.)

I must admit that it was quite fun voting for the songs. I called the friend with which I'm going and we chatted for like 10 minutes while voting. Doesn't happen every day.

blackcoffee

#302 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:02 am

I remember being in high school around '86 driving from La Jolla into Mission Beach looking to score crystal while listening to Master of Puppets with some very hardcore people. I never would have imagined the widespread success Metallica would have.

Pure Method

#303 Post by Pure Method » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:34 am

I'm going to see Darkside a week from tomorrow [also my birthday]. Anyone into them?

Artemis

#304 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm going to get tickets to see these young boys from Ireland. I heard about them about a year ago and have been waiting for them to make the trek to North America which they finally did last week. Unfortunately, I missed their show on the 20th, but saw that they are coming back again in March! :rockon:

The Strypes

MYXYLPLYX

#305 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Larry B. wrote:I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to see Metallica on March 27. I'm going with the same friend I went to Jane's, and basically for the same reasons. Just to see the band we liked 13 years ago.

Hey, so I'm super lame and late at responding to this... :lol: :scared:

Anyways, I had an idea Larry if you're interested - it would require a little bit of work on your part:

So fans at shows constantly make/adapt flags and wave them at shows and try to get them to the band. The best ones actually get put up at HQ and adorn the walls here:

Might be something cool for you if you want to do something with one of these?

:noclue:

Jasper

#306 Post by Jasper » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Yeah, Larry, you oughtta fashion one into a Metallica miniskirt and take a stab at seducing the band.

Larry B.

#307 Post by Larry B. » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:46 am

:lol:

Could be, could be... I've got a spare, low quality flag, so I might use it for that. If I manage to not feel like a stupid cringe-worthy moron while doing it.

Larry B.

#308 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:36 am

Just bought tickets for Paul McCartney. I saw him 2 or 3 years ago in a stadium (60,000 people,) now he'll be playing a smaller arena (around 10,000 people) with good sound, so I'm quite excited.

At first I didn't want to go, because it was going to be quite expensive. However, have a look at this setlist.

Eight Days a Week
Save Us
All My Loving
Listen to What the Man Said
Let Me Roll It (with Foxy Lady by Jimmy Hendrix snippet)
Paperback Writer
My Valentine
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
The Long and Winding Road
Maybe I'm Amazed
I've Just Seen a Face
We Can Work It Out
Another Day
And I Love Her
Blackbird
Here Today
New
Queenie Eye
Lady Madonna
All Together Now
Lovely Rita
Everybody Out There
Eleanor Rigby
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Something
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Band on the Run
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude

Encore:

Day Tripper
Hi, Hi, Hi
Get Back

Encore 2:

Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End

39 songs. And what songs they are. I just couldn't pass this up.

April 21...

Everybody's Friend

#309 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:38 am

Against Me! in April at First Ave. :rockon:

nausearockpig

#310 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Alex Lloyd in April and Gossling in May. Sweet.

JOEinPHX

#311 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:25 pm

The Naked and Famous
Phantogram
The Dandy Warhols
Future Islands

All in April.

Warped

#312 Post by Warped » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 pm

Clutch in June. :rockon:

blackula

#313 Post by blackula » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 am

Off! May 17.
Neutral Milk Hotel in July
Maybe Black Flag in June with their shitty new 5th singer just to see the train wreck.

phenobarb_bambalam

#314 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:55 pm

The Cure (x3)
Interpol
Suede
Dark Horses
The Knife
A Silver Mount Zion (x2)
MONO
The Jokers formerly known as Jane's Addiction (x3)
A Perfect Circle
The Faint
nin/Soundgarden

I think that's it...

Xizen47

#315 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:The Cure (x3)
Interpol
Suede
Dark Horses
The Knife
A Silver Mount Zion (x2)
MONO
The Jokers formerly known as Jane's Addiction (x3)
A Perfect Circle
The Faint
nin/Soundgarden

I think that's it...
Can't wait for the Faint @ Independent :rockon:

I was interested in the Knife show till I found out it was Lip-syncing performace art.

Larry B.

#316 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:00 am

Larry B. wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:However, they're now doing a "Metallica by Request" tour, where supposedly the audience votes beforehand on the setlist. Here is the current vote for the show in Santiago. I'm glad to see "Ride the Lightning" there. I don't know how much Metallica will stick to these voting or if it's even legit, but I checked out the voting for both shows in Argentina and they're quite different. So yeah, hopefully they won't play Frantic and St. Anger.
So I guess the line marks how many songs they'll play in the set? Everything above that line has been regularly played for years now except Orion which they included as a set closer just for the last year or two. I'd love to hear them play "Eye Of The Beholder" again. That hasn't been played since early on the "Black" album tour around '91. Also funny, the two very bottom songs rank high in my personal Metallica favorites.
Today I had to vote for the songs I want Metallica to play in the show. They'll play 18 songs: 1 new (chosen by them) and the other 17 by popular vote. These were my choices:

"Serious" (i.e., the ones I actually want to hear)

1. Fade to Black
2. Seek and Destroy
3. The Unforgiven
4. Creeping Death
5. Ride the Lightning
6. For Whom the Bell Tolls
7. Whiplash
8. The Four Horsemen
9. Fight Fire with Fire
10. Hit the Lights
11. Hero of the Day
12. Jump in the Fire
13. Of Wolf and Man

"Joke votes" (i.e., the ones I'd laugh at if they play them)

14. The Memory Remains
15. I Disappear
16. Mama Said
17. Turn the Page

I thought about voting for Eye of the Beholder, but standing at 780 votes there's hardly any chance of their playing it (the cut is currently at 3,200 votes.)

I must admit that it was quite fun voting for the songs. I called the friend with which I'm going and we chatted for like 10 minutes while voting. Doesn't happen every day.

1. Battery
2. Master of Puppets
3. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
4. Ride the Lightning
5. The Unforgiven
6. Lords of Summer
7. ...And Justice for All
8. Sad but True
9. Fade to Black
10. Orion
11. One
12. For Whom the Bell Tolls
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman

Encore:

16. Creeping Death
17. Whiplash
18. Seek & Destroy

It was a pretty good show. The sound was horrible and Lars can't keep a beat to save his own life, but it was fun listening to those songs that ironically helped me learn how to play drums. The whole "Metallica by Request" concept seems alright too. I've just checked a few previous shows and the band has played stuff that otherwise they would have never included in their setlists.

Next month: Paul McCartney.

Japhy

#317 Post by Japhy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:14 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Future Islands
It's all about these boys right now! Can't lie, only discovered them post-Letterman but i'm totally hooked... In Evening Air is such a great record. Their London show sold out almost instantly but i may road-trip one of the other dates.

Other than that, i don't have much going on gig-wise... seeing a young english band called The Wytches next month and i also have Cloud Nothings at some point.

MYXYLPLYX

#318 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 am

Find yourself in the pic Larry! :lol:

Artemis

#319 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:44 am

I'm a little bummed out that I couldn't get tickets to any of the Kate Bush shows in London. I tried for a single ticket and even a Hospitality Package £425 - sold out. :sad:

I was up at 05:00(EST) to get ready to book as soon as the tickets went on sale on Ticket Master UK.

I wanted to book tickets and then book a trip around the date of the show. I can still book a trip though.

Larry B.

#320 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:55 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:Image

Find yourself in the pic Larry! :lol:
You were here!? You fffff... I would've liked to hang out for a couple of minutes or maybe throw some underwear at you! :lol:

I was waaaaaay back, in a quiet little spot. I could see on the screens that some guys from Magallanes did the whole thing with "my" flag, as you mentioned before. I don't think the Metallica guys actually took the flag, but it was a nice effort nevertheless.

Now, what's with the whole good-vibe, 'Metallica family' thing they got going on? Is it from AA or something?

perkana

#321 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 am

Artemis wrote:I'm a little bummed out that I couldn't get tickets to any of the Kate Bush shows in London. I tried for a single ticket and even a Hospitality Package £425 - sold out. :sad:

I was up at 05:00(EST) to get ready to book as soon as the tickets went on sale on Ticket Master UK.

I wanted to book tickets and then book a trip around the date of the show. I can still book a trip though.
Are you a Benedict Cumberbatch fan? If so, he'll be playing Hamlet. I don't know if it's this year though. I would love to go and see him.

Artemis

#322 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:10 am

perkana wrote:
Artemis wrote:I'm a little bummed out that I couldn't get tickets to any of the Kate Bush shows in London. I tried for a single ticket and even a Hospitality Package £425 - sold out. :sad:

Are you a Benedict Cumberbatch fan? If so, he'll be playing Hamlet. I don't know if it's this year though. I would love to go and see him.
Yes, I like Mr Cumberbatch. If do end up going to London I will definitely check about Hamlet.

Artemis

#323 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:30 am

MYXYLPLYX

#324 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:54 am

Larry B. wrote:
You were here!? You fffff... I would've liked to hang out for a couple of minutes or maybe throw some underwear at you! :lol:

I was waaaaaay back, in a quiet little spot. I could see on the screens that some guys from Magallanes did the whole thing with "my" flag, as you mentioned before. I don't think the Metallica guys actually took the flag, but it was a nice effort nevertheless.

Now, what's with the whole good-vibe, 'Metallica family' thing they got going on? Is it from AA or something?
Nope, I got that pic from a crew guy... I'm back at HQ holding down the fort. Of course if I was there I'd make an effort to say howdy...

I did hear reports that it was the best and rowdiest crowd of the tour so far, in fact I guess at some point they brought down part of the barricade?

I would hesitate to speculate on the origins of the family stuff, though your theory would fit the time frame from when he started doing that during shows. They really do place family in high regard and liken their fans (especially Metallica club members) to family all the time.

If that flag makes it back to the States I'll do my best to get it up on display.

:thumb:

Larry B.

#325 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:27 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

Nope, I got that pic from a crew guy... I'm back at HQ holding down the fort. Of course if I was there I'd make an effort to say howdy...

I did hear reports that it was the best and rowdiest crowd of the tour so far, in fact I guess at some point they brought down part of the barricade?

I would hesitate to speculate on the origins of the family stuff, though your theory would fit the time frame from when he started doing that during shows. They really do place family in high regard and liken their fans (especially Metallica club members) to family all the time.

If that flag makes it back to the States I'll do my best to get it up on display.

:thumb:
Oh, that's really cool. Chile is usually a very, very good crowd. Very active and loud without resorting to violence or anything. And since bands/producers started selling VIP Floor tickets, the people behind the barricade usually try to jump their way to the VIP floor or just do anything to be closer to the stage. If people brought down part of the barricade, I didn't see it. A couple of years ago at a Faith No More show, I was closer to the divide and after some people started jumping the barriers, security decided to MAZE us. It was quite scary, a bunch of people (myself and my 17 year old sister included) rushed back, trying to run away from the cloud of tear gas. And in Santiago the use of tear gas is widespread, so I'm even a bit used to it... but this was really strong.

Keep up the great work. I expected a show where the band does everything they can to please their audience, and they sure did. I liked the way James wasn't afraid to make jokes about their songs and themselves. It was quite funny. "Poor Fuel [as it was losing the vote]... but I understand, it's just too heavy..."