Live shows in your agenda?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: Live shows in your agenda?

#281 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 am

Pandemonium wrote:Primal Scream at The Fonda on 10/13. Never seen them before, only have the new album and XTRMNTR so I'm pretty unfamiliar with their stuff. As long as they play Exterminator, Swastika Eyes and 2013, I'll be a happy guy.
I'm a little jealous. I've always liked Primal Scream since I first heard them in the early 90s. Never had the chance to see them live though.
I just checked for more tour dates but California is the only North American stop. Anyway, I think it'll be a really good live show.

I got tickets to see Sinead O'Connor in December. She's doing 2 nights at a venue with max capacity 480. Should be a pretty intimate performance. In the past I've seen here at medium to largish sized venues. I've found some youtubes of recent performances and she is looking and sounding really good. I think her treatment and meds are really helping her.

wally

#282 Post by wally » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm thinking about going to Danzig on halloween, should I? :hs:

Warped

#283 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 pm

QOTSA (first time i am going to see them live) on November 8 and
Joe Bonamassa End of February (second time and i can't wait, cause he put on one hell of a great show)

and both in my hometown in a relatively small venue :thumb:

perkana

#284 Post by perkana » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 am

I'm going to see the Foo Fighters on Dec. 13 :wiggle:
It was funny, I've been moping around about not going and this morning I was chatting with this friend on fb and told him that I wasn't going cause I didn't want to spend more money and that I wasn't going to do the presale today. He told me that he would try to get me a ticket and just got confirmation a moment ago. Thank you internet and thank you fb for letting me contact old friends or classmates I didn't even remember (like my friend, seriously I still don't remember him but we've become friends thanks to fb)

Larry B.

#285 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:34 am

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to see Metallica on March 27. I'm going with the same friend I went to Jane's, and basically for the same reasons. Just to see the band we liked 13 years ago.

Artemis

#286 Post by Artemis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Larry B. wrote:I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to see Metallica on March 27. I'm going with the same friend I went to Jane's, and basically for the same reasons. Just to see the band we liked 13 years ago.
I've seen Metallica a few times over the years. I haven't seen them recently, but enjoyed the shows I went to. The last time, I saw them was in the mid 90s. It'll be a good show, Larry. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Pandemonium

#287 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Artemis wrote:I've seen Metallica a few times over the years. I haven't seen them recently, but enjoyed the shows I went to. The last time, I saw them was in the mid 90s. It'll be a good show, Larry. Nothing to be embarrassed about.
I like Metallica but they're in a comfortable rut as a live act, imo. They've been kind of playing the same basic set for the last 10 years, that is, heavy on the 80's classics, Enter Sandman and maybe one or two other tunes off the "black" album, a couple off Death Magnetic, Fuel from the 90's Load albums, nothing from St Anger. I don't know if Magilla Gorilla has toned down the crabcore shtick though.

farrellgirl99

#288 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm

In February I'm seeing:

St Vincent
Earl Sweatshirt

Pandemonium

#289 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:13 pm

So far, nothing on the horizon for 2014.

Japhy

#290 Post by Japhy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:00 am

Not too much booked in at the moment - off the top of my head, Ry X, Damien Jurado and Pearl Jam. Might grab tix to see The Orwells but that whole scene looks a little too young to an old guy like me nowadays.

Larry B.

#291 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:31 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Artemis wrote:I've seen Metallica a few times over the years. I haven't seen them recently, but enjoyed the shows I went to. The last time, I saw them was in the mid 90s. It'll be a good show, Larry. Nothing to be embarrassed about.
I like Metallica but they're in a comfortable rut as a live act, imo. They've been kind of playing the same basic set for the last 10 years, that is, heavy on the 80's classics, Enter Sandman and maybe one or two other tunes off the "black" album, a couple off Death Magnetic, Fuel from the 90's Load albums, nothing from St Anger. I don't know if Magilla Gorilla has toned down the crabcore shtick though.
Yup, that's why I'm somewhat embarrassed. They've become really lazy, apparently.

However, they're now doing a "Metallica by Request" tour, where supposedly the audience votes beforehand on the setlist. Here is the current vote for the show in Santiago. I'm glad to see "Ride the Lightning" there. I don't know how much Metallica will stick to these voting or if it's even legit, but I checked out the voting for both shows in Argentina and they're quite different. So yeah, hopefully they won't play Frantic and St. Anger.

Pandemonium

#292 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 am

Larry B. wrote:However, they're now doing a "Metallica by Request" tour, where supposedly the audience votes beforehand on the setlist. Here is the current vote for the show in Santiago. I'm glad to see "Ride the Lightning" there. I don't know how much Metallica will stick to these voting or if it's even legit, but I checked out the voting for both shows in Argentina and they're quite different. So yeah, hopefully they won't play Frantic and St. Anger.
So I guess the line marks how many songs they'll play in the set? Everything above that line has been regularly played for years now except Orion which they included as a set closer just for the last year or two. I'd love to hear them play "Eye Of The Beholder" again. That hasn't been played since early on the "Black" album tour around '91. Also funny, the two very bottom songs rank high in my personal Metallica favorites.

wally

#293 Post by wally » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 am

A couple weeks ago I caught Don Carlos at the Ashkenaz in Berkeley. GREAT show. Nice to see one of the reggae legends in such an intimate venue. Sound was incredible as was the horn section. Don still has a voice of an angel. I think I'm gonna grab tickets to Pato Banton there also, my GF loves him and it's the day before her birthday. :cool:

Artemis

#294 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:52 am

So far, i am going to see Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Gary Numan.

I saw that primal Scream has some Canadian dates in the spring, so I will likely get tickets for that.

I wanted to get tix for kraftwerk in March but it is sold out. :mad:

Xizen47

#295 Post by Xizen47 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Artemis wrote:So far, i am going to see Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Gary Numan
Hopefully I can attend both those :nod:

Tool
Arcade Fire
Goat
the Knife
Neutral Milk Hotel
St. Vincent

Pandemonium

#296 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Artemis wrote:I saw that primal Scream has some Canadian dates in the spring, so I will likely get tickets for that.
If it's like the concert I saw late last year in LA, Primal Scream is touring without all the backup singers, etc they had in Europe and the UK earlier in the current tour. It's just the core band and it was a really strong show.

esqfool

#297 Post by esqfool » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Going to Roky Erickson and The Black Angels in 2 weeks, then Pixies and Cults a few nights later. Other than that I have tickets to Black Lips and might go check out White Denim. Not much else on the horizon.

nausearockpig

#298 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
Artemis wrote:So far, i am going to see Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Gary Numan

Tool
Arcade Fire
Goat
the Knife
Neutral Milk Hotel
St. Vincent
TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAD

blackula

#299 Post by blackula » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Xizen47 wrote:

Tool
Arcade Fire
Goat
the Knife
Neutral Milk Hotel
St. Vincent
Seeing Neutral Milk Hotel too, this Monday, super excited. I saw Jeff Mangum a year or two ago by himself. It was great but obviously stripped down and I never thought seeing NMH was a realistic thought, so I'm really stoked.

nausearockpig

#300 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:45 pm

blackula wrote:
Xizen47 wrote:

Tool
Arcade Fire
Goat
the Knife
Neutral Milk Hotel
St. Vincent
Seeing Neutral Milk Hotel too, this Monday, super excited. I saw Jeff Mangum a year or two ago by himself. It was great but obviously stripped down and I never thought seeing NMH was a realistic thought, so I'm really stoked.
Great band name. songs are pretty cool

Larry B.

#301 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:However, they're now doing a "Metallica by Request" tour, where supposedly the audience votes beforehand on the setlist. Here is the current vote for the show in Santiago. I'm glad to see "Ride the Lightning" there. I don't know how much Metallica will stick to these voting or if it's even legit, but I checked out the voting for both shows in Argentina and they're quite different. So yeah, hopefully they won't play Frantic and St. Anger.
So I guess the line marks how many songs they'll play in the set? Everything above that line has been regularly played for years now except Orion which they included as a set closer just for the last year or two. I'd love to hear them play "Eye Of The Beholder" again. That hasn't been played since early on the "Black" album tour around '91. Also funny, the two very bottom songs rank high in my personal Metallica favorites.
Today I had to vote for the songs I want Metallica to play in the show. They'll play 18 songs: 1 new (chosen by them) and the other 17 by popular vote. These were my choices:

"Serious" (i.e., the ones I actually want to hear)

1. Fade to Black
2. Seek and Destroy
3. The Unforgiven
4. Creeping Death
5. Ride the Lightning
6. For Whom the Bell Tolls
7. Whiplash
8. The Four Horsemen
9. Fight Fire with Fire
10. Hit the Lights
11. Hero of the Day
12. Jump in the Fire
13. Of Wolf and Man

"Joke votes" (i.e., the ones I'd laugh at if they play them)

14. The Memory Remains
15. I Disappear
16. Mama Said
17. Turn the Page

I thought about voting for Eye of the Beholder, but standing at 780 votes there's hardly any chance of their playing it (the cut is currently at 3,200 votes.)

I must admit that it was quite fun voting for the songs. I called the friend with which I'm going and we chatted for like 10 minutes while voting. Doesn't happen every day.

blackcoffee

#302 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:02 am

I remember being in high school around '86 driving from La Jolla into Mission Beach looking to score crystal while listening to Master of Puppets with some very hardcore people. I never would have imagined the widespread success Metallica would have.

Pure Method

#303 Post by Pure Method » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:34 am

I'm going to see Darkside a week from tomorrow [also my birthday]. Anyone into them?

Artemis

#304 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm going to get tickets to see these young boys from Ireland. I heard about them about a year ago and have been waiting for them to make the trek to North America which they finally did last week. Unfortunately, I missed their show on the 20th, but saw that they are coming back again in March! :rockon:

The Strypes

MYXYLPLYX

#305 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Larry B. wrote:I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to see Metallica on March 27. I'm going with the same friend I went to Jane's, and basically for the same reasons. Just to see the band we liked 13 years ago.

Hey, so I'm super lame and late at responding to this... :lol: :scared:

Anyways, I had an idea Larry if you're interested - it would require a little bit of work on your part:

So fans at shows constantly make/adapt flags and wave them at shows and try to get them to the band. The best ones actually get put up at HQ and adorn the walls here:

Might be something cool for you if you want to do something with one of these?

:noclue: