Rape Prevention Ad Pulled

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Re: Rape Prevention Ad Pulled

#26 Post by Larry B. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Agree 100%.

The thing is... most people are stupid assholes :noclue:

I have some friends/acquaintances who are not stupid assholes and who drink in moderation, and I'm not bothered AT ALL by their consumption. They can zip two bottles of wine or whatever they are drinking, and there's not an inch of asshole-ness in them. Same with a couple of women I've been with. One time, I dated a girl for like 20 days, until she told me she had gone to a party and got really drunk and then went back home driving her bike and fell like 4 times. That was it for me. It wasn't like we were in love or anything, so no harm done.

I'm sure you can handle yourself well most of the time with alcohol; I just think it's an exception and not the norm, by a long shot.

Artemis

#27 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:26 pm

I guess in real life we would never be friends, Larry B.
I enjoy my cocktails and getting inebriated once in awhile. You would judge me to be unworthy. :sad:

Hype

#28 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Larry B. wrote:Agree 100%.

The thing is... most people are stupid assholes :noclue:

I have some friends/acquaintances who are not stupid assholes and who drink in moderation, and I'm not bothered AT ALL by their consumption. They can zip two bottles of wine or whatever they are drinking, and there's not an inch of asshole-ness in them. Same with a couple of women I've been with. One time, I dated a girl for like 20 days, until she told me she had gone to a party and got really drunk and then went back home driving her bike and fell like 4 times. That was it for me. It wasn't like we were in love or anything, so no harm done.

I'm sure you can handle yourself well most of the time with alcohol; I just think it's an exception and not the norm, by a long shot.
I don't understand why you think going to a party and getting drunk and falling off a bike makes someone stupid, or is a reason to break up with them. You may not be part of the 'straight-edge' culture, but you sure sound like it. It's one thing to be frustrated by people's general stupidity, and to try to associate only with people who fit your intellect, or whatever; it's a whole other thing to treat other people as inferior based on your preconceived ideas about what constitutes stupidity. You could be wrong. In fact, your story kind of reminds me of Seinfeld... Jerry always found some stupid reason to break up with a girl... turns out he was an asshole all along. :nod:

Larry B.

#29 Post by Larry B. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Artemis wrote:I guess in real life we would never be friends, Larry B.
I enjoy my cocktails and getting inebriated once in awhile. You would judge me to be unworthy. :sad:
Nah... the 'once in a while' makes a pretty significant difference to me. Plus, it helps a lot if you're awesome when not inebriated. I probably wouldn't want to witness your extreme inebriatedness, but that's all. :bigrin:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: I don't understand why you think going to a party and getting drunk and falling off a bike makes someone stupid, or is a reason to break up with them. You may not be part of the 'straight-edge' culture, but you sure sound like it. It's one thing to be frustrated by people's general stupidity, and to try to associate only with people who fit your intellect, or whatever; it's a whole other thing to treat other people as inferior based on your preconceived ideas about what constitutes stupidity. You could be wrong. In fact, your story kind of reminds me of Seinfeld... Jerry always found some stupid reason to break up with a girl... turns out he was an asshole all along. :nod:
It doesn't make them stupid, it makes me consider them stupid. Neither do I think of them as inferior, I just consider it a flaw.

Since alcohol plays a big role in most of the social interactions of the world, I know I'm not the majority and maybe I can be considered an uptight asshole, but it's also not as bad as it sounds, it's not like I'm absolutely intolerant of people who drink. It might be hard to describe the point of the scale of gray I'm in.

And regarding break ups, as I said in my earlier post, we were just starting to go out and it wasn't anything serious... Fortunately, the break ups in my serious relationships have all been very well justified. I never saw Seinfeld, but there's an episode of Friends in which Chandler suffers a crisis because he always found some stupid reason to break up with a girl.

However, there's always the chance that I might've just been an asshole all along :noclue:

:drink: :drink:

Artemis

#30 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Nah... the 'once in a while' makes a pretty significant difference to me. Plus, it helps a lot if you're awesome when not inebriated. I probably wouldn't want to witness your extreme inebriatedness, but that's all. :bigrin:

I'm glad I'm not crossed off the Larry B friend list. :bigrin:

Larry B.

#31 Post by Larry B. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Artemis wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

I'm glad I'm not crossed off the Larry B friend list. :bigrin:
Believe me, you're not crossed off any of my most awesome lists.

:yeay: