Ipod on random or whole CD

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
LJF

Ipod on random or whole CD

#1 Post by LJF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 pm

How do most people on hear listen to music? Do you tend to listen to your ipod on random or do you listen to a full cd? I find myself listening to my ipod on random and I'm trying to stop doing that. I think I like listening to a full cd when a get the chance, I feel I appreciate it more. For me the big problem is getting the time to listen to full cd. I know lame, but work and kids have that effect.

Fuck it I thought this would be interesting to see what other people do. Have at it.

Larry B.

Re: Ipod on random or whole CD

#2 Post by Larry B. » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:29 pm

It depends on the mood, I suppose... with TGEA, I listened to the album quite a few times and now I've just listened to End to the Lies and Ultimate Reason probably 2 times in the las 20 days.

And I've also been listening to full albums every now and then... Deconstruction, Ritual, Zooropa, Achtung Baby, The Book of Mormon...

However, most of the time I just listen to music in shuffle mode, but only those songs I've rated with 4 or 5 stars (around 980) or my top 100 (the songs with 4 or 5 stars that I've listened to the most times).

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 pm

i'm really getting old i guess. i listen to talk radio in the car and pretty much the only time i listen to music is when i can't get to sleep. puts me right to sleep.

kv

#4 Post by kv » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:34 pm

creep wrote:i'm really getting old i guess. i listen to talk radio in the car
lol i am the same way...soo fucking sad

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:40 pm

i go through phases with talk radio. I listen to so much damn music that sometimes i need the break of either something like Howard Stern, or a comedy station like Raw Dog on Sirius

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't have an ipod.

I listen to full CDs or on random shuffle on the CD player(5 disc). I listen to the radio(CBC mostly) and a couple of internet radio stations.

I don't have an ipod because I think it makes the listening experience less meaningful, particularly for new artsits. These days people will just buy 1 or 2 songs of new band and not really explore an entire album. I don't totally reject the ipod, of course. I understand the advantages and convenience of owning one.

LJF

#7 Post by LJF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Artemis wrote:I don't have an ipod.

I listen to full CDs or on random shuffle on the CD player(5 disc). I listen to the radio(CBC mostly) and a couple of internet radio stations.

I don't have an ipod because I think it makes the listening experience less meaningful, particularly for new artsits. These days people will just buy 1 or 2 songs of new band and not really explore an entire album. I don't totally reject the ipod, of course. I understand the advantages and convenience of owning one.

I also wonder if this is what came first the chicken or the egg. I think there aren't as many solid cd's as there used to be. So do bands make cd's with only a few good songs and not worry about making a complete cd because no one buys cd's anymore, they download a few tunes then move on. Or do people download just a few songs and not worry about buying a cd because they think it will be shit and a waste of money.

I still buy the actually cd, I don't download off itunes or steal music. That's a whole other discussion. I've found recently that I really enjoy listening to a full cd in the car on the way to & from work. It takes me 45 minutes to a hour to drive so I can get in an entire cd. It's great no one bothers me & I can really get into the music.

jptm

#8 Post by jptm » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:08 pm

at work (meaning, 40 hrs./wk.), i listen to podcasts & Stern... being a geek, i enjoy leo laporte's shows & these others as well: distorted view, no agenda, sick & wrong, a survivor podcast (when it's on) & today in music history... this is basically my own playlist that keeps me occupied...

but i download shitloads of music & listen only to music when at home; except when i'm falling asleep (again, podcasts). So, i listen to whatever i've got that's 'new', or something that's grown on me and stayed in my 'new music' folder. if i don't like it, it goes in my library and i might hear it on random sometime...

bababooey!

SR

#9 Post by SR » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Albums only, except at the gym where I listen to blocks of music I choose depending where I am in the workout.

I despise shuffle....it's like having an emotional/intellectual choke collar on.

ant

#10 Post by ant » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 pm

For bands that are my old school faves and I already have their back catalog in a hard format I continue to buy CDs but for most new artists I've gotten into I've bought their music on iTunes. I always buy full albums and have never purchased single songs. I love my iPod and the ability to carry around entire catalogs by artists I'm really into. Still like to listen to albums as a whole single piece or art but shuffle mode is great since it's like having my own radio station with all artists I know I love and it's great when old songs you haven't heard in years come up and remind you why you loved not just the hits by an artist.

blackcoffee

#11 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:46 pm

I have a hard time even loading an incomplete album onto my ipod let alone use the shuffle function. I think this might have something to do with age. I bet the younger among us listen to random, or shuffle maybe? in the car I switch between music and NPR. When I run I listen to the savage lovecast.

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:15 pm

I seem to do most of my listening on the car so I have my iPod Classic which is filled to capacity with full bitrate WAV files of tunes from hundreds of favorite artists of all genres that I've ripped from cds hooked up with my car stereo. I've made big "Best Of" playlists either based on a particular band/artist or type of music. I almost never play Playlists on random. Once in a while I'll take a cd or two with me in the car (usually new purchases) and listen straight through - something I did today with the Rolling Stones "Some Girls" 2nd cd of outtakes.

When I'm home, I might throw on any old cd at top volume while I'm doing stuff alone around the house although I have a laptop with a 1TB external drive hooked up to my AV Receiver full of music with playlists via Windows Media Player as well that I just let run if I'm lazy.

Juana

#13 Post by Juana » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Told you that second cd was good, I love it

But I listen to whole albums all the way thru. I rarely listen to shuffle unless I'm at the gym in which case I will put it on shuffle because sometimes you want to switch it up and what not.

Mescal

#14 Post by Mescal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 pm

I hardly ever listen to my I pod.

In my car it's always full cd's. I have a 5 disc changer in my car but I never use shuffle.

At home I mostly listen to vinyl and sometimes the radio. So it's always at least half an album. I tend to change a record after having listened to one half of it. It's kinda like part of the listening experience.

Larry B.

#15 Post by Larry B. » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:32 am

blackcoffee wrote:I have a hard time even loading an incomplete album onto my ipod let alone use the shuffle function.
I have a problem loading incomplete albums too. I've only done it with 2 or 3 bands/artists from which I know I only like 2 or 3 songs, like Oasis and Ringo Starr. The rest, full albums or nothing.

Warped

#16 Post by Warped » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:19 am

I listen to music on ipod only when i am out of my home. Like on a train or during shopping tours where the talking of people and the noise of the city walks on my nerves. Generally full albums, i tried shuffle mode but it can get annoying especially as i have a wide range of different music styles on it...rock punk metal classic blues soul

At home i listen to complete albums or i put my 6 discs-changer on shuffle mode.

It always includes Decon, one or two JA, OHM (good way to annoy the hubby :hehe: ), the rest changes.

guysmiley

#17 Post by guysmiley » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:23 am

I was bad at loading full albums at first, but now I've gone back and fixed that for the most part. I walk and ride around with my ipod on shuffle. Usually I'll hear a song and feel the need to go back and listen to the whole album. Only in the past year or so I've done this. I feel like having the damn thing on shuffle all the time gives people AAD. You need a break sometimes.

crater

#18 Post by crater » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:09 am

What I want to know is how in the hell are people still listening to the Howard Stern show, as it's been complete garbage for at least 2 years now.

I don't own an ipod. I listen to entire CD's when I have them. It's either music or NPR for me.

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:08 pm

crater wrote:What I want to know is how in the hell are people still listening to the Howard Stern show, as it's been complete garbage for at least 2 years now.
it's missing a lot without artie but i still love it.

by the way artie has a new show starting on sirius. i think it's bullshit that they didn't hire him back.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:04 pm

crater wrote:What I want to know is how in the hell are people still listening to the Howard Stern show, as it's been complete garbage for at least 2 years now.
Shitty Stern is still 1000 times better than good Opie and Anthony.

kv

#21 Post by kv » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:19 am

creep wrote:

by the way artie has a new show starting on sirius. i think it's bullshit that they didn't hire him back.
ditto and ditto

crater

#22 Post by crater » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:45 am

creep wrote:

I canceled my Sirius sub in large part due to Artie. I got tired of the Artie drug talk every day when he did bother to show up and didn't find him nodding out during the show when he was there funny either. The hypocrite Hamptons Howie talking about his horse faced wife and her bogus NSAL charity bugged me too. I've got a lot of other complaints, but these were the major reasons I canceled in Dec. of 2008.

I've listened to a handful of shows since Artie hasn't been there and was very bored and hearing Robin chime in with her uninformed opinions every 15 seconds was unbearable to me.

I hate Nick Dipaolo. He's a right wing piece of shit with an annoying accent/voice and having both him and Artie host a sports show when both of their sports knowledge is very limited, isn't something I ever want to listen to.

O&A blow. I was forced to listen to them years ago when I had to carpool with a former co-worker.

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:46 pm

crater wrote:I canceled my Sirius sub in large part due to Artie. I got tired of the Artie drug talk every day when he did bother to show up and didn't find him nodding out during the show when he was there funny either. The hypocrite Hamptons Howie talking about his horse faced wife and her bogus NSAL charity bugged me too. I've got a lot of other complaints, but these were the major reasons I canceled in Dec. of 2008.
I used to be a huge fan of Sterns show back in the early 90's especially when Billy West was part of the crew. His Channel 9 show was funny as hell. Around the Private Parts movie and the two books is when I peaked and quickly started losing interest. Once Howard got divorced, whatever edge his show may of had just disappeared and when he married the bimbo, it was worse than Perry and Etty with the rich couple phoniness thing. I think I may have listen to more than half an hour's worth of his show about a dozen times in the last decade. The only complete show I have from the last 10 years is the 9/11 broadcast.

I have about 20 90 minute cassette tapes of bits and pieces of the show from that era that I desperately need to digitally encode.

jptm

#24 Post by jptm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:37 pm

the main reason i still love stern is because he's evolved into a terrific interviewer... there have been many.

i stopped listening in the 90's, too... then jumped back in again a year and a half ago and caught up; thanks to technology and archives. and the things i loved about him from the past has almost disappeared, but i realized that he was older and in a different place like all of us. and regardless, of how 'out of the loop' robin is, she still is the only one that can keep up with howard and his quick switching of subjects... fred, too--although he also sometimes misses out on prime times to throw in some sound bites...

but the thing is, is that he's got history---it's amazing what he's done with radio and the pushing of free speech. you listen to some of the stuff before he went to satellite and he KNEW he was letting people get away with going over the edge; yet he didn't care.

also, i really hope he gets the judge gig on america's got talent. i've never watched it in my life, but if he gets it, i'll watch just to see what happens....