NBC's To Catch a Predator

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

NBC's To Catch a Predator

#1 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:34 am

I knew about this show (from South Park) and yesterday I downloaded a bunch of those TV specials.

I have to say... god damn'.

I've read about the criticism, possible entrapment and all. But the point is well taken: they all were 20+, eager to having sex with 14 year olds and actually going to their homes.

How is it that some guys when they're 13 they want to have sex with 15 year olds and when they're 61 they want to have sex with 15 year olds, hopefully a virgin?

It was particularly revealing when a couple of guys said "I'm just lonely... really lonely". It makes sense, since underage people are more naive and more likely to meet a stranger than a 18+ person, so chatting with a random underage is more likely to lead to a real encounter, specially if there's a chance for sex.

I also wonder if some/most of these guys would've got together with a 18+ person for sex. I mean, is it just sex they're looking for? Or is it the sex with a minor? Since everything taboo can be very attractive to some people, I can understand how some 40 year olds would want to have sex with someone who's a lot younger than them, like 19, 18 or even 17 years old. But 13? 12? And how about that guy who also brought his five year old son?

JOEinPHX

Re: NBC's To Catch a Predator

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:37 am

Dude, this is seriously one of my favorite shows. They show marathons of this show (for some reason) all the damn time and I always get sucked in for a good 3-4 hours.

It's sad and pathetic and shocking and interesting as fucking hell.

They always show up with Smirnoff Ice and Flavored condoms. :lol:

The best is the dudes who strip down and walk in naked. Like, yeah dude, smooth. Way to not scare the 13 year old.

Or wait... no the best is always the school teachers and law enforcement people who start crying. Or that guy that got busted by the show twice in consecutive days, once at McDonalds. haha

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:53 am

the best thing is that chris hansen was videotaped himself checking in to a hotel with a woman that wasn't his wife recently.

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:55 am

Six7Six7 wrote: Or that guy that got busted by the show twice in consecutive days, once at McDonalds. haha
Yeah, that was incredibly fucked up. "I was just getting something to eat!!" :dunce:

At some point in one of these specials someone said something interesting... like "these people have just way too much free time in their hands and unlimited access to the Internet".

And hey, I remember being 16, hanging out at some friends' house, going into some random chatroom and started talking to random women asking them if they wanted to suck my balls and almost peeing myself laughing. But I'll say it again... the vast majority of these guys are 30+. How hard is it to set the line at 18 years old for your casual sex partner? If they're incredibly attracted to a hairless vagina, don't they know many full grown women decide to fully shave themselves?

On the other hand, I've also noted that like 97% of those guys are fucking ugly. I mean, seriously ugly. So most probably a huge lack of self-confidence plays a big part in the equation too.

I have a friend who used to have incredibly self-esteem issues. I met him when we were 14, and he lost his virginity when he was 22 or 23, with the only girlfriend he'd ever had. After she dumped him, after 2 years of being involved, he got really depressed. Once, he told me he didn't even know how to talk to women (he re-met this girlfriend via Facebook, she was a former class mate from 6th grade) and that he thought he'd never be with anyone ever again. I basically told him I believed you can have sex with anyone you want, if you play the right cards. If you want to be emotionally involved, that's a whole'nother story. But sex...

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:01 am

Larry B. wrote: How hard is it to set the line at 18 years old for your casual sex partner?
18yr olds are smart enough and generally not attracted to older men. 13yrs olds can be manipulated into it. it's not like many 13yr olds are sexually active.

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:51 am

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote: How hard is it to set the line at 18 years old for your casual sex partner?
18yr olds are smart enough and generally not attracted to older men. 13yrs olds can be manipulated into it. it's not like many 13yr olds are sexually active.
Yup... that's what sad. Some of these guys aim to 15- because nobody else would want to have sex with them.

Larry B.

#7 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:11 am

As a side note, the whole "whyn't you take a sit right over there?" parody in South Park was spot on. It's incredible how many of these guys just sit on those stools and start talking.

"sex with a 13 year old is the cleanest, best pleasure" :conf:

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:18 am

Larry B. wrote:As a side note, the whole "whyn't you take a sit right over there?" parody in South Park was spot on. It's incredible how many of these guys just sit on those stools and start talking.

"sex with a 13 year old is the cleanest, best pleasure" :conf:
Scientifically speaking they are kind of right about that.

I always laugh though. It's just not something you say. "Yeah their tight virgin snatch would probably be awesome to tear into", i mean come on.

Larry B.

#9 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:34 am

I get your point, but I wouldn't say it comes down to just how tight their vaginas are. I mean, anuses can be tight, Fleshlights, a fucking melon or you can just tighten your grip.

I think that "cleanest, best pleasure" has (also) to do with the innocence of a child, perhaps someone who can't hurt you in any way. A 13 year old will most likely not tell you your dick is small, you're not doing it right, "I don't want to see you anymore", etc. Plus, you can be somewhat sure you know more about sex than she/he does.

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:39 am

Dude, come on. You're overthinking it.

These are dudes who clearly don't get laid on a regular basis. They are just looking for a human of their preferred sex to stick their peepee into and they want it to be as tight and disease-free as possible.

creep
Site Admin

#11 Post by creep » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:53 am

Larry B. wrote:I get your point, but I wouldn't say it comes down to just how tight their vaginas are. I mean, anuses can be tight, Fleshlights, a fucking melon or you can just tighten your grip.

I think that "cleanest, best pleasure" has (also) to do with the innocence of a child, perhaps someone who can't hurt you in any way. A 13 year old will most likely not tell you your dick is small, you're not doing it right, "I don't want to see you anymore", etc. Plus, you can be somewhat sure you know more about sex than she/he does.
i'm calling the authorities. why would you even analyze this?

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 am

Because I'd like to find an explanation for behaviors :noclue:

Loneliness and a lack of sex seem to be common denominators in some cases... in others, there just seems to be something regarding 'wearing the pants' in a relationship, sexual or otherwise.

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:27 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:I get your point, but I wouldn't say it comes down to just how tight their vaginas are. I mean, anuses can be tight, Fleshlights, a fucking melon or you can just tighten your grip.

Oh, and great way to ruin an interesting thread. I better head back to the Etty thread ASAP.

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:

Oh, and great way to ruin an interesting thread. I better head back to the Etty thread ASAP.
i think you ruined it by imagining what it would be like to have sex with a kid.

Turncoat

#15 Post by Turncoat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:36 pm

I used to have a sort of book club with a few close friends... we'd watch certain episodes and then discuss them... I love this show... :rockon:

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:05 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:

i think you ruined it by imagining what it would be like to have sex with a kid.
:hs: :crazy:

Good call, let's jail all scholars who study the psyche of child rapists too! What a bunch of sick-ass weirdos, uh? Trying to understand the reasons behind criminal behavior... geez, what a waste of time. And such a danger!

I was imagining what could be attractive for someone who wants to have sex with a kid.

It's almost unbelievable. Are you the type of person who thinks pedobear is the badge of a secret kid-lover group too? Or that it's ok that in an airport you can't say "I just put my mom on a plane" because 'mom' might sound like 'bomb'?

creep
Site Admin

#17 Post by creep » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:

:hs: :crazy:

Good call, let's jail all scholars who study the psyche of child rapists too! What a bunch of sick-ass weirdos, uh? Trying to understand the reasons behind criminal behavior... geez, what a waste of time. And such a danger!

I was imagining what could be attractive for someone who wants to have sex with a kid.

It's almost unbelievable. Are you the type of person who thinks pedobear is the badge of a secret kid-lover group too? Or that it's ok that in an airport you can't say "I just put my mom on a plane" because 'mom' might sound like 'bomb'?
maybe i'm wrong but i think it's creepy to talk about how tight a 13yr old's vagina is. i doubt scholars bring that up. am i alone in this?

Larry B.

#18 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm with you in that it can be creepy, but it's not like I was making an ode to it. I didn't even bring it up, but commented on it briefly because it can be a factor. Then, I went on to my 'real' point, which is the self-esteem-related factors.

But well, you ruined it anyway.

Lokus

#19 Post by Lokus » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Yeah, I really like this show too. I try not to laugh at other people's expense, but these guys are the one time I really allow myself to do that. I don't get overly indignant towards criminals in general, but I think these guys are truly pathetic.

It amazes me how many guys they are able to lure to one place over a couple of days. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Being lonely and lacking sex isn't a sufficient explanation (or cause) for child rape. People really don't seem to understand how causes work (e.g., that they necessitate). You can't think you should fuck children unless there's something wrong in your brain (e.g., you can't understand why children can't legally consent, or don't care). It's got nothing to do with "how great it must feel". Lots of things would feel great but no one in their right mind would do them. :confused:

Larry B.

#21 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote: no one in their right mind would do them. :confused:
That hit a spot...

Would you consider an attraction to 13 year olds a symptom of a mental condition or a mental condition by itself?

And if it's a mental condition... why are these men facing prison and not just mental treatment at some institution?

Some guys tried to blame "this terrible addiction", kind of like playing the "sex addiction" card played by so many men who've had affairs. I say shove that excuse up your ass. You're a full grown man, if you approach a kid for sex you face punishment, end of story.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: no one in their right mind would do them. :confused:
That hit a spot...

Would you consider an attraction to 13 year olds a symptom of a mental condition or a mental condition by itself?

And if it's a mental condition... why are these men facing prison and not just mental treatment at some institution?

Some guys tried to blame "this terrible addiction", kind of like playing the "sex addiction" card played by so many men who've had affairs. I say shove that excuse up your ass. You're a full grown man, if you approach a kid for sex you face punishment, end of story.
I don't think it follows from what I said that everything immoral must be a 'condition' that can be labeled and treated rather than criminally prosecuted.

I am an absolute determinist, though, and as such, I don't think there is such a thing as 'free choice' or 'free will'. Given that, it follows that it's not like any guy can see a child and say "Well, I could either fuck or not fuck this minor. I choose not fuck. But next time I could choose fuck." That's not how human behaviour works. Most people do understand, to some degree or other, why most serious things we think are wrong are wrong -- things that involve obvious harm to someone else (not, of course, religious and 'gross' based attitudes toward things, but rather, actually knowing why things are wrong). Most people don't do these things, not because they choose not to, but because they understand why they shouldn't do it, and thus, literally can't. This doesn't rule out cases of ignorance about age (cf. Roman Polanski), or intoxicated violation of ordinarily understood moral beliefs. But those who genuinely desire children are not choosing to do so. This doesn't mean they are caused genetically, or environmentally, but probably some mix of the two. No one chooses their "first order" (that is, immediate, basic) desires. Ordinarily we have the illusion of choice at a higher level, that of identifying with and/or acting on our desires. When this fails, some philosophers claim, a person is acting 'akratically', or with weakness of the will. I deny that this is possible. Rather, some other region of the brain that ordinarily processes meta-desire volitions is failing to operate in ways that would allow these individuals to act according to what they should know follows from certain basic facts they know. Some of the research on pedophiles who have been chemically castrated seems to support this (they still have desire-related thoughts about children that they can no longer act on, because they are unable to, hormonally).

chaos

#23 Post by chaos » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:40 pm

creep wrote: 18yr olds are smart enough and generally not attracted to older men. 13yrs olds can be manipulated into it. it's not like many 13yr olds are sexually active.
The movie Trust centers on a 14 year old who is manipulated (online and in person) by a sexual predator. The movie is pretty good.

Larry B.

#24 Post by Larry B. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:51 pm

A guy showed up twice!?!? The same guy?!?!

Holy shiat.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Larry B. wrote:A guy showed up twice!?!? The same guy?!?!

Holy shiat.
He had some sort of mental condition, complete with giant scar on his head from brain operations. Dude wasn't all there.