off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Tyler Durden

Re: U2 Achtung Baby Massive Box Set Coming

#76 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:57 am

Okay, I really like these...

Tyler Durden

#77 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 am

This is pretty straight forward but it's good.

Larry B.

#78 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Goddamn, that made me feel like going to bar, feel sad about everything and wait for someone to smash my head with a sledgehammer to put me out of my misery.

Great version.

Pandemonium

#79 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Considering the artists involved, almost all of these covers have so far been a disappointment for me to some degree. Even the Patti Smith and Gavin Friday tunes which I like the best seem rushed with little thought put into the new arrangements.

Pandemonium

#80 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:44 pm

I like the depeche Mode and Damien Rice covers. Interesting how Rice switches the focus of the song from the other person to himself.

Pandemonium

#81 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 pm

The entire set has leaked. The extra discs, especially the "Kindergarten" or Baby version of Achtung Baby is a fascinating revelation even though I have long had the elaborate "Salome" almost 4 hours worth of Hansa studio demos.

While a number of songs are close to finished versions missing maybe some guitar, finished lyrics and additional studio mixing, the majority are different, some *very* different from the finished album versions. I would say that to a song, the final album versions are superior, but there's several songs that are very worthy, legitimate alternate versions. I think I actually like the acoustic guitar-featured "Baby" versions of "One" and "Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World" better'n the album versions. Ultraviolet is totally turned around by having the spoken word intro placed in the last 3rd where the guitar break would be.

There's also a number of unreleased tracks on another disc, some from the original demos that have been obviously recently finished. The best of these tracks - "Down All The Days" is actually "Numb" with entirely different bluesy vocals and (unfinished) lyrics by Bono. "Everybody Loves A Winner" could be an out-take from Rattle and Hum (think "Love Rescue Me") as it features gospel organ and singers.

If anyone's looking for this, here's a download link that should be workable for a day or two:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z4TPCFMB
-Kindergarten Disc

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ESW3GQZD
-Unreleased B-sides and New Tracks

Tyler Durden

#82 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for the input, Pandemonium :bigrin: I'm going to pass on the downloads though and wait for my box set to arrive from Amazon. I have to admit though...I couldn't wait to watch From The Sky Down, so I downloaded it and watched it tonight. I'm not sure what to think of it just yet; I think I have to watch it again.

Larry B.

#83 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:30 am

Thank you for the download and comments... once again, Megaupload doesn't seem to be working for me, so I guess I'll just wait until it becomes available in TPB, Demonoid or some other torrent site :wave:

Larry B.

#84 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Juana

#85 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:01 pm

I could have picked up the 2 Disc set but I wasn't really sure how much different it sounded. I do like this album though.

Larry B.

#86 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:07 pm

:thumb: :thumb:

goddamn' I love the EVTTRT fish out of the water remix.

Pandemonium

#87 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Larry B. wrote::thumb: :thumb:

That's basically the version they were opening with on the last leg of the tour.

Larry B.

#88 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote::thumb: :thumb:

That's basically the version they were opening with on the last leg of the tour.
Yup, I know... I actually think I love it so much because the first time they played it was in the show I attended in Argentina. It has great power.

Larry B.

#89 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Pandemonium wrote:The entire set has leaked. The extra discs, especially the "Kindergarten" or Baby version of Achtung Baby is a fascinating revelation even though I have long had the elaborate "Salome" almost 4 hours worth of Hansa studio demos.

While a number of songs are close to finished versions missing maybe some guitar, finished lyrics and additional studio mixing, the majority are different, some *very* different from the finished album versions. I would say that to a song, the final album versions are superior, but there's several songs that are very worthy, legitimate alternate versions. I think I actually like the acoustic guitar-featured "Baby" versions of "One" and "Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World" better'n the album versions. Ultraviolet is totally turned around by having the spoken word intro placed in the last 3rd where the guitar break would be.
I've just started listening to the Kintergarden album ('Zoo Station'), and it makes me feel something awesome. At least this song, it's just so fucking great. It has something sexy and solid... simple rock, with a touch of certain "technological" quality.

'Even Better' now... and the thing about listening to a song that you know well with different lyrics is that your head says "haha, those are not the right lyrics, fucktard". In this song, is he singing "I go to the drugstore" or something like that?

I'm almost crying now... beautiful signature U2 motif in 'Who's Gonna Ride'... :cona: :bday:

Didn't like 'One'... not a fan of that all-over-the-place guitar.

'The Fly' is one of the most delicious pieces of falsetto in rock, next only to Lemon.

'Trying to Throw Your Arms around the World' is beautiful. Beautiful. I wanna sing along to that version in a stadium so bad.

In 'Ultra Violet', it's cool how the intro was actually recorded OVER music and got later bumped to the intro without backing music... That's the kind of different post-production can (and is supposed to) make.

'Down All the Days' is a pretty good alternative version of Numb... more melancholic, definitely.

Pandemonium

#90 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Watched From The Sky Down tonight on Showtime. Can't say I really cared for it mostly due to the way it's edited. Spends way too much time on the band's prior history and goes into deadening detail about Berlin, etc before getting to the meat of how the album was recorded. That said, all that previously unseen archival footage bits from the Joshua Tree and Lovetown tours was a tremendous tease. It's hard to comprehend just how much footage they have stored away in some warehouse. Also very frustrating that it appeared they recorded new "live" reworked versions of many Achtung Baby songs, again many that appear to be substantially different version from the album that are merely teased throughout this documentary.

Hopefully, they've exorcised the ghost of Achtung Baby and will get to a new (and hopefully decent) album sooner rather than later.

cursed male

#91 Post by cursed male » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:46 am

Juana wrote:I could have picked up the 2 Disc set but I wasn't really sure how much different it sounded. I do like this album though.
There's no difference to speak of. Surprisingly they didn't go the usual make-it-louder route with the remastered version. So if you're not interested in the extra disc or discs forget it...

Pandemonium

#92 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:14 am

cursed male wrote:
Juana wrote:I could have picked up the 2 Disc set but I wasn't really sure how much different it sounded. I do like this album though.
There's no difference to speak of. Surprisingly they didn't go the usual make-it-louder route with the remastered version. So if you're not interested in the extra disc or discs forget it...
They've really done a great job on remastering their back catalog so far. I've said before that sonically, Zooropa needed some work but Achtung Baby and all the remaining albums from Pop onward sound fine just as they are. Really all that's left is Rattle and Hum which I really hope gets the deluxe treatment in 2012 as there's a *ton* of b-sides and unheard material they could include as well as including the complete NYE show.