Definition of a Yankee?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Definition of a Yankee?

#1 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:46 am

So, on FB I was responding to an Epicurious newsfeed about pie for breakfast(I am having a VERY productive day today) and somebody posted this:

"There's an old joke in New England. In the South, anyone from north of the Mason Dixon line is a Yankee. In the Northeast, it's anyone from New England. In New England a Yankee is someone from Vermont. In Vermont it's someone who has pie for breakfast."

Is it true? :lol:

creep
Site Admin

Re: Definition of a Yankee?

#2 Post by creep » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:46 pm

i think nyrexall has the answer you are looking for

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:58 pm

why does he eat pie for breakfast?

chaos

#4 Post by chaos » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Artemis wrote:So, on FB I was responding to an Epicurious newsfeed about pie for breakfast(I am having a VERY productive day today) and somebody posted this:

"There's an old joke in New England. In the South, anyone from north of the Mason Dixon line is a Yankee. In the Northeast, it's anyone from New England. In New England a Yankee is someone from Vermont. In Vermont it's someone who has pie for breakfast."

Is it true? :lol:
:lol:
In the South, anyone from north of the Mason Dixon line is a Yankee.
I lived in North Carolina for a year, and one person I meet walked away from me and would not speak to me since I was a "Yankee." Some of them still have not gotten over the fact that they lost the war. :lol:
In the Northeast, it's anyone from New England.
This is true. I haved lived primarily in NJ and NY and hadn't really thought about this until I moved to MA.
In New England a Yankee is someone from Vermont. In Vermont it's someone who has pie for breakfast.
???
I never heard this; neither has my husband. Although my husband is an army brat and spent part of his adolescence overseas, nearly all of his family lives in NH (he was born in NH and graduated from H.S. there).

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:25 pm

chaos wrote:
In the South, anyone from north of the Mason Dixon line is a Yankee.
I lived in North Carolina for a year, and one person I meet walked away from me and would not speak to me since I was a "Yankee." Some of them still have not gotten over the fact that they lost the war. :lol:
:lol:

reminds me of a conversation i had with an old guy at a bar in a small town in georgia(about 2 hours from atlanta). the guy asked me where i was from and when i told him he paused a minute and then said, "that's further north than them yankees."
i didn't think that people still said "yankee".

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:42 pm

It still boggles the fuck out of my mind that George W. Bush is a fucking Connecticut Yankee. :jasper:

Juana

#7 Post by Juana » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:18 am

Yet he claims to be a Texan not that I care about that being from CA but it makes me laugh since Austin is such a cool city and they tolerated him and Perry there for so long.