French anti-smoking posters

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

French anti-smoking posters

#1 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:29 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 08559.html

French advertising companies are often criticised for using sexual images to sell everything from designer spectacles to sweetcorn. Now, for the first time, a controversy has erupted in France over the use of sexually suggestive posters as a deterrent.

A campaign to discourage young people from smoking shows male and female teenagers kneeling in front of a man, as if being forced to have oral sex. A cigarette takes the place of the man's sexual organ. The caption reads: "Smoking is to be a slave to tobacco."

The campaign, which was devised for a pressure group supporting the rights of non-smokers, has been attacked as "scandalous" and "potentially counter-productive" by feminist and pro-family campaigners.

The advertising agency behind the posters says only a shock campaign can halt the rise in smoking amongst 13 to 15-year-olds in France.

Marco de la Fuente, the leader of the project for the BDDP et Fils ad agency, said: "The old arguments – tobacco is bad for you – don't work any more. The message here is that tobacco is a form of submission. In the popular imagination, oral sex is the perfect symbol of submission."

Gérard Audureau, the president of Les Droits des Non-fumeurs (The Rights of Non-smokers), the pressure group which commissioned the ads, said health arguments did not reach teenagers. "Young people think that they are invincible, immortal," he said. "Fear of sexual exploitation worries them more than illness."

Opposition to the ads – to be shown in bars, clubs and newspapers – has been widespread. Florence Montreynaud, of the feminist pressure group Chiennes de Garde (Guard Bitches), said that it was "inadmissible" that an image implying underage sex should be exploited, even in a good cause.

Christiane Terry, of the conservative group Familles de France, said she will lodge a complaint with the French advertising standards watchdog. "Mixing up tobacco dependence and sex is ridiculous and scandalous," she said.

Surveys suggest smoking is, overall, in decline in France but becoming more common among teenagers. The number of French 13 to 15-year-olds who smoke is estimated to have increased by 66 per cent between 2004 and 2008. Almost one in five French 16 to 20-year-olds now smokes, compared to one in 10 a decade ago. However, in the population as a whole 55 billion cigarettes were smoked in 2009, down from 97 billion cigarettes in 1991.

Last year, however, there was a slight increase – 2.6 per cent – in overall smoking as the effect of the 2008 ban on smoking in bars, cafes and restaurants began to wear off.

The non-smokers' rights group says it does not care if adults are shocked by its posters. Mr Audureau said: "Very few anti-smoking campaigns catch the attention of the young. You have to use extreme images to make them take notice."

Larry B.

Re: French anti-smoking posters

#2 Post by Larry B. » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 am

"In the popular imagination, oral sex is the perfect symbol of submission?"

No wonder why I despise people.

lollapaloser

#3 Post by lollapaloser » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am

That makes me want a cigarette.

Kajicat

#4 Post by Kajicat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Fuck cigarettes.

And fuck smokers when they're blowing that shit all around me. :mad:

And fuck people who stop working their job for 5-10 minutes to go on a "smoke break". Others have to keep working but you get to go on a break because you're fiending for nicotine? Talk about a corporation having you by the balls. And bosses accept that? Fuck that shit. Can I have a "PSP" or "Nintendo DS" break then? Cuz I'm a video game addict.

I hate cigarettes. :jasper:

blackcoffee

#5 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm

I grew up with cigarettes in the home and my dad managed hotels, nightclubs, etc so there was always smoke and people who smoked. Haven't been around it in a long time and was shocked when I went through Texas recently how thick the smoke was in some of the bars I went to. It wasn't the end of the world, but I've gotten soft having lived in cities like San Diego and Seattle where they don't allow smoking indoors....

lollapaloser

#6 Post by lollapaloser » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Ok, fuck me then. Fuck freedom and the right to choose. If your boss wont let you take a 5-10 minute break during your shift, who really has you by the balls? Nicotine is a natural alkaloid, ok so its sold and marketed by corporations, but it has been used and marketed long before the dawning of corporations.

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Kajicat wrote:Fuck cigarettes.

And fuck smokers when they're blowing that shit all around me. :mad:

And fuck people who stop working their job for 5-10 minutes to go on a "smoke break". Others have to keep working but you get to go on a break because you're fiending for nicotine? Talk about a corporation having you by the balls. And bosses accept that? Fuck that shit. Can I have a "PSP" or "Nintendo DS" break then? Cuz I'm a video game addict.

I hate cigarettes. :jasper:
No company will prevent you from taking a 5 minute break. You don't have to smoke a cigarette.

Kajicat

#8 Post by Kajicat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm

lollapaloser wrote:Ok, fuck me then. Fuck freedom and the right to choose. If your boss wont let you take a 5-10 minute break during your shift, who really has you by the balls? Nicotine is a natural alkaloid, ok so its sold and marketed by corporations, but it has been used and marketed long before the dawning of corporations.
You have the right to smoke, but please do it away from me, and not in areas where I can't get away from it. As far as my work is concerned, none of the sales staff smoke, so we don't ever take smoke breaks...but it's the people in production who do smoke and it's super annoying when I have a project that's due in 20 minutes for an attorney and the OCR isn't finished on the database yet because the production employee went downstairs and outside to take their 5th smoke break of the day.
Adurentibus Spina wrote:No company will prevent you from taking a 5 minute break. You don't have to smoke a cigarette.
True, but how many 5 minute breaks does one get? 10 per day? And what if they end up lasting 10 minutes each? I've talked about this with some coworkers and we decided our boss would probably be quite upset if he saw us sitting at our desk playing a Nintend DS and when he asks why, we say, "Just give me 5 more minutes...smokers get smoke breaks so I'm taking my game break" and continue to game away. A firing would probably occur in the near future if that happened everyday. But not for smokers! What if someone who doesn't smoke takes 5 breaks throughout the day, each being five minutes long, and another employee who smokes also takes 5 five minute breaks like the non-smoker but also takes 5 five minute smoke breaks on top of that? Pretty sure shit like that happens, and it bugs me.

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:14 pm

Kajicat wrote:
lollapaloser wrote:Ok, fuck me then. Fuck freedom and the right to choose. If your boss wont let you take a 5-10 minute break during your shift, who really has you by the balls? Nicotine is a natural alkaloid, ok so its sold and marketed by corporations, but it has been used and marketed long before the dawning of corporations.
You have the right to smoke, but please do it away from me, and not in areas where I can't get away from it. As far as my work is concerned, none of the sales staff smoke, so we don't ever take smoke breaks...but it's the people in production who do smoke and it's super annoying when I have a project that's due in 20 minutes for an attorney and the OCR isn't finished on the database yet because the production employee went downstairs and outside to take their 5th smoke break of the day.
Adurentibus Spina wrote:No company will prevent you from taking a 5 minute break. You don't have to smoke a cigarette.
True, but how many 5 minute breaks does one get? 10 per day? And what if they end up lasting 10 minutes each? I've talked about this with some coworkers and we decided our boss would probably be quite upset if he saw us sitting at our desk playing a Nintend DS and when he asks why, we say, "Just give me 5 more minutes...smokers get smoke breaks so I'm taking my game break" and continue to game away. A firing would probably occur in the near future if that happened everyday. But not for smokers! What if someone who doesn't smoke takes 5 breaks throughout the day, each being five minutes long, and another employee who smokes also takes 5 five minute breaks like the non-smoker but also takes 5 five minute smoke breaks on top of that? Pretty sure shit like that happens, and it bugs me.
I agree with you. I know people who took up smoking just to take more breaks. I would rather just lie to my employer and say I was going to smoke, put an unlit cigarette in my mouth and fuck off for ten minutes. But I really don't think you have to. I see your point, and really, just FUCK corporations. Seriously.

nausearockpig

#10 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:18 pm

lol damn iPhone piece of shit. I was posting the same thing as the posts above re times of extra breaks taken by some smokers and it fucked out. :banghead:

Someone did a study of the cost of smoke breaks in Australia and it's some crazy figure like billions of dollars in lost productivity.

Artemis

#11 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:30 pm

I am in my fifth month of not smoking. :tiphat:
I have tried to quit many times over the years. Hopefully, it takes this time. I think what did it is the white spots I had on the inside of my cheeks. My dentist noticed them when I was having a cleaning and referred me to an oral pathologist to check it out in case they were cancerous. Thankfully, things are fine at the moment.

When I was smoking, I rarely went for smoke breaks at work. Mainly because I didn't like to smell the smoke on my clothes all day in the office. Also, in the colder months it's too much trouble to get all bundled up in coat and boots. I guess I was never that hooked. Smoking and drink though was really bad for me. I would easily smoke a pack of 25 in a few hours.

nausearockpig

#12 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Good on you!

I haven't smoked in about four years or so. I used a book called "Allen Carr's EasyWay To Stop Smoking". Read the book and stopped smoking with no cravings, side effects or substitutes...

Hype

#13 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:34 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Good on you!

I haven't smoked in about four years or so. I used a book called "Allen Carr's EasyWay To Stop Smoking". Read the book and stopped smoking with no cravings, side effects or substitutes...
My dad has that book. His dad died. It didn't help. :scared:

nausearockpig

#14 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Shame. I've read that it helped a lot of people & has attracted a lot of negative commentary from cig companies...

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:40 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Shame. I've read that it helped a lot of people & has attracted a lot of negative commentary from cig companies...
I think he's right to say "Don't stop smoking while reading this book". I just think smoking is a complex behaviour that there are no easy answers to solving if you want to stop. Obviously when your parents die, you're in a fucked up stressful situation, and sometimes sucking on something that makes you feel a bit better (hey-oh!) might help... and who are we to say not to... but then... cancer.... etc.

At any rate, if it works, I guess more power to you.

Artemis

#16 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I bought that book too and it didn't help me either.

It was the shake up of the possibility of having an oral cancer that finally woke me up. My dentist wasn't preachy about quitting, she just laid out the facts about how difficult it is to treat oral cancers and how high the mortality rates are for this type of cancer.

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 pm

nausearockpig wrote:lol damn iPhone piece of shit.
:(

Don't talk to your iPhone like that.

nausearockpig

#18 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:lol damn iPhone piece of shit.
:(

Don't talk to your iPhone like that.

my iPhone and I have a relationship where we treat each other equally. it shits me when the button doesn't work and doesn't load pages etc and i publicly humiliate it by calling it names..

nausearockpig

#19 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Can't be fucked double quoting..

@ Adurentibus Spina: Copy that.
@ Artemis: I've heard as much from about 30% of people who read it.
@ Six7Six7: love your new avatar.

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

It was the shake up of the possibility of having an oral cancer that finally woke me up. My dentist wasn't preachy about quitting, she just laid out the facts about how difficult it is to treat oral cancers and how high the mortality rates are for this type of cancer.
I drink entirely too much alcohol and smoke entirely too many cigars. I assume throat cancer = future. Or I can publish some cool shit and die at 40.

nausearockpig

#21 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm 40 in a few years. I need to achieve something of note.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:51 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I'm 40 in a few years. I need to achieve something of note.
Or die trying. Or have kids or something... We're all in this together... or something. :noclue: :drink:

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I drink entirely too much alcohol and smoke entirely too many cigars. I assume throat cancer = future. Or I can publish some cool shit and die at 40.
I didn't know that you smoked cigars! :yikes:
Well, you'll know when it's time to quit, if you decide that's what you want to do.
Health risks aside, I really enjoyed smoking. One of my favourite things to do was to stay up all night drinking and smoking.
Last edited by Artemis on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nausearockpig

#24 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:I'm 40 in a few years. I need to achieve something of note.
Or die trying. Or have kids or something... We're all in this together... or something. :noclue: :drink:
No kids for us. Definitely die trying.

nausearockpig

#25 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I didn't know that you smoked cigars! :yikes:
Well, you'll know when it's time to quit, if you decide that's what you want to do.
Health risks asides, I really enjoyed smoking. One of my favourite things to do was to stay up all night drinking and smoking.
to me, a cig or two in the morning was the perfect companion to my flat white in the coffee shop before starting work.