Hype

Re: French anti-smoking posters

#26 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Good on you!

I haven't smoked in about four years or so. I used a book called "Allen Carr's EasyWay To Stop Smoking". Read the book and stopped smoking with no cravings, side effects or substitutes...
My dad has that book. His dad died. It didn't help. :scared:
I bought that book too and it didn't help me either.

It was the shake up of the possibility of having an oral cancer that finally woke me up. My dentist wasn't preachy about quitting, she just laid out the facts about how difficult it is to treat oral cancers and how high the mortality rates are for this type of cancer.
I drink entirely too much alcohol and smoke entirely too many cigars. I assume throat cancer = future. Or I can publish some cool shit and die at 40.
I didn't know that you smoked cigars! :yikes:
Well, you'll know when it's time to quit, if you decide that's what you want to do.
Health risks asides, I really enjoyed smoking. One of my favourite things to do was to stay up all night drinking and smoking.
I have this thing with romeo and juliets (romeo y julieta)... I probably smoke one every few weeks. But combined with a steady alcoholism and I'm well on my way to Christopher Hitchens' stage-4 throat cancer. But Spinoza died at 44. All I have to do is write/publish some things I think are true and I'm good. :cool: :confused:

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:I'm 40 in a few years. I need to achieve something of note.
Or die trying. Or have kids or something... We're all in this together... or something. :noclue: :drink:
No kids for us. Definitely die trying.
Cool man. I respect that. :cheers:

chaos

#28 Post by chaos » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 pm

A semi-hijack:
Mr. Hitchens, a prolific essayist and the author of “God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything,” discovered in June 2010 that he had Stage 4 esophageal cancer. He has lately curtailed his once busy schedule of public appearances, but he made an exception for the Atheist Alliance — or “the Triple A,” as he called it — partly because the occasion coincided almost to the day with his move 30 years ago from his native England to the United States. He was already in Houston, as it happened, because he had come here for treatment at the MD Anderson Cancer Center, where he has turned his 12th-floor room into a temporary library and headquarters.

Mr. Hitchens is gaunt these days, no longer barrel-chested. His voice is softer than it used to be, and for the second time since he began treatment, he has lost most of his hair. Once such an enthusiastic smoker that he would light up in the shower, he gave up cigarettes a couple of years ago. Even more inconceivable to many of his friends, Mr. Hitchens, who used to thrive on whiskey the way a bee thrives on nectar, hasn’t had a drink since July, when a feeding tube was installed in his stomach. “That’s the most depressing aspect,” he said. “The taste is gone. I don’t even want to. It’s incredible what you can get used to.”
Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/books ... wanted=all

nausearockpig

#29 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:59 pm

hey! stop that! I thought this thread was hijacked to talk about all about ourselves... don't be hijacking the hijackers... . :aoa: :banana:

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm surprised Hitch is still kicking.

Artemis

#31 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Good on you!

I haven't smoked in about four years or so. I used a book called "Allen Carr's EasyWay To Stop Smoking". Read the book and stopped smoking with no cravings, side effects or substitutes...
My dad has that book. His dad died. It didn't help. :scared:
I bought that book too and it didn't help me either.

It was the shake up of the possibility of having an oral cancer that finally woke me up. My dentist wasn't preachy about quitting, she just laid out the facts about how difficult it is to treat oral cancers and how high the mortality rates are for this type of cancer.
I drink entirely too much alcohol and smoke entirely too many cigars. I assume throat cancer = future. Or I can publish some cool shit and die at 40.
Well, you'll know when it's time to quit, if you decide that's what you want to do.
Health risks asides, I really enjoyed smoking. One of my favourite things to do was to stay up all night drinking and smoking.
I have this thing with romeo and juliets (romeo y julieta)... I probably smoke one every few weeks. But combined with a steady alcoholism and I'm well on my way to Christopher Hitchens' stage-4 throat cancer. But Spinoza died at 44. All I have to do is write/publish some things I think are true and I'm good. :cool: :confused:
I'm familiar with the R+Js. I don't think one every few weeks is so bad.

chaos

#32 Post by chaos » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:07 pm

In June it was announced that the below labels would go on all US cigarette packages, but tobacco companies were granted a temporary injunction.

Check out the Brazilian warnings:

Hype

#33 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I drink entirely too much alcohol and smoke entirely too many cigars. I assume throat cancer = future. Or I can publish some cool shit and die at 40.
Well, you'll know when it's time to quit, if you decide that's what you want to do. [/quote]
Health risks asides, I really enjoyed smoking. One of my favourite things to do was to stay up all night drinking and smoking.[/quote]

I have this thing with romeo and juliets (romeo y julieta)... I probably smoke one every few weeks. But combined with a steady alcoholism and I'm well on my way to Christopher Hitchens' stage-4 throat cancer. But Spinoza died at 44. All I have to do is write/publish some things I think are true and I'm good. :cool: :confused:[/quote]

I'm familiar with the R+Js. I don't think one every few weeks is so bad.[/quote]

I feel like... well... one big cigar = 70 cigarettes or so... that seems bad. but I also eat a shitload of poutine from Smokes. :confused: I guess being affluent, educationally, means I'll be alright. Or not. Who knows.

I only care about philosophy. :crazy: :waits: :bs: :eyes:

nausearockpig

#34 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:09 pm

In Australia, we have similar warnings to the first pic. they do NOTHING to stop people from smoking..

it's utter bullshit. Funny bullshit, but bullshit nonetheless..

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:12 pm

chaos wrote:In June it was announced that the below labels would go on all US cigarette packages, but tobacco companies were granted a temporary injunction.

Check out the Brazilian warnings:

wow some of these are brutal.

the canadian ones are tame by comparison. here's an example:

Artemis

#36 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
I feel like... well... one big cigar = 70 cigarettes or so... that seems bad. but I also eat a shitload of poutine from Smokes. :confused: I guess being affluent, educationally, means I'll be alright. Or not. Who knows.
no way does one cigar = 70 cigs.
i don't know for sure but i don't think cigars have all the chemicals that cigarettes do. you don't inhale them do you?

Hype

#37 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
no way does one cigar = 70 cigs.
i don't know for sure but i don't think cigars have all the chemicals that cigarettes do. you don't inhale them do you?
I'm told that your mouth absorbs the chemicals.
Large cigars can measure more than 7 inches in length, and they typically contain between 5 and 20 grams of tobacco. Some premium cigars contain the tobacco equivalent of an entire pack of cigarettes. Large cigars can take between 1 and 2 hours to smoke.
:noclue:

nausearockpig

#38 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 pm

I used to inhale the small cigars that were mentioned earlier.. that was gold...

Hype

#39 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:25 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I used to inhale the small cigars that were mentioned earlier.. that was gold...
I once broke a rib while smoking cigars and skateboarding. That was funny. :bored:

Warped

#40 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:11 am

I thought the topic was the posters.... :lol:
I don't like that kind of compaign and i do not like the "shocking posters"

I also think it is ridiculous that there is so much enthusiasm for non-smoking campaigns but absolutely nobody wants to do anything against the growing alcohol consume which is a much bigger thing than smoking imo. Especially young kids here drink until they are delivered to hospital. It is like a sport. You can read and see that going on every weekend here in my city.
It is "normal" to drink. You can buy that stuff easily even if you are under-aged. I hate that. :no:

I was a longtime smoker but had my last one on Monday this week. :wave:
Hopefully i will finally get it done now.
Too old for smoking, too much responsibilty, not enough money.

nausearockpig

#41 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:45 am

there's no way your govt or mine will ever really want to stop people from drinking and smoking, there's just too much money involved, and not just tax..

Imagine for a minute what the global economy would be like if all of a sudden, all of the money that was involved directly and indirectly in the tobacco (& alcohol) industry, was suddenly removed. Logistics, crops, tyres on trucks used to move the cigs, fuel for the trucks, electricity for all the factories involved, public transport for the workers in all sections of the process... the list goes on....

Yeah, it ain't ever gonna stop...

Artemis

#42 Post by Artemis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:29 am

Warped wrote: I was a longtime smoker but had my last one on Monday this week. :wave:
Hopefully i will finally get it done now.
Too old for smoking, too much responsibilty, not enough money.
Good for you, Warped! :thumb:

On average I save about $35-$50( €25 - €35) per week now that I'm not smoking.

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:54 pm

nausearockpig wrote:there's no way your govt or mine will ever really want to stop people from drinking and smoking, there's just too much money involved, and not just tax..

Imagine for a minute what the global economy would be like if all of a sudden, all of the money that was involved directly and indirectly in the tobacco (& alcohol) industry, was suddenly removed. Logistics, crops, tyres on trucks used to move the cigs, fuel for the trucks, electricity for all the factories involved, public transport for the workers in all sections of the process... the list goes on....

Yeah, it ain't ever gonna stop...

Kajicat

#44 Post by Kajicat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Another thing that bothers me about smokers is how they feel it's okay to just flick their cigarette butts onto the ground when they're done with them. I've actually told people to pick that shit up and dispose of it properly before. They looked like they had just seen a ghost, it was hilarious...but I'm not sure if they actually picked it up or not as I just kept walking right past them.

Just because smokers have a dirty habit doesn't mean they get to just litter the remains of that habit wherever they please when they're done.
A city sidewalk with no cigarette butts would blow my fucking mind.

nausearockpig

#45 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Kajicat wrote:Another thing that bothers me about smokers is how they feel it's okay to just flick their cigarette butts onto the ground when they're done with them. I've actually told people to pick that shit up and dispose of it properly before. They looked like they had just seen a ghost, it was hilarious...but I'm not sure if they actually picked it up or not as I just kept walking right past them.

Just because smokers have a dirty habit doesn't mean they get to just litter the remains of that habit wherever they please when they're done.
A city sidewalk with no cigarette butts would blow my fucking mind.
Singapore has some pretty extreme laws about littering. I remember it being insanely clean.. in the main city areas anyway..

I like saying "hey! you dropped something!!" at someone who litters their butt... it's fun..

guysmiley

#46 Post by guysmiley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:39 pm

You can actually get fine for it in Tokyo and many other cities here. In Tokyo, they can write a ticket before you even drop the butt. Lighting up on the street there is risky.