Wrong number -> prank call

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Wrong number -> prank call

#1 Post by Larry B. » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 pm

So, for some unknown reason I get a lot of calls from people who dialed a wrong number. Both at home and in my cell phone. And even though most of the times I say "sorry, wrong number", some times I have some fun of my own.

Today (actually, just now), a guy called...

Guy: Hey, I'm calling to know the price of the flow meter...
Me: Ummm... sorry, what flow meter?
Guy: The D-51, year 2002.
Me: OK, let me check... [muffles the mic and mumbles some words]. Yeah, we have it, it's $40
Guy: Ummmm... it's the D-51? Does it have 3 little screws on the side?
Me: Yeah, it has those little screws, 3 screws right here.
Guy: OK, great! So... I just make you a deposit and you send it?
Me: Yeah, just deposit the money and I'll send it to you, it arrives tomorrow in the evening, is that ok?
Guy: Yeah, that's great. Sooo... I have your bank information in the card you gave me, but what bank is it?
Me: Ummm...
Guy: Is it Banco de Chile?
Me: Yes, yes, Banco de Chile. Just call me when you make the deposit and we're set, ok?
Guy: So, I make the deposit under your name? Julio Yáñez?
Me: Yes, exactly, Julio Yáñez.
Guy: And what's your other last name?
Me: Perez.
Guy: OK, Perez... [writes it down]
Me: OK, talk to you soon, bye!
Guy: Thank you, bye!

And, while I was writing this post, the same guy called...

Guy: Hello, I just called you, but I made I mistake, I need to ask for the air filter! Haha, I'm sorry!
Me: Excuse me?
Guy: I need to know the price for the air filter...
Me: Ummm... I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong number.
Guy: Ummm... oh, ok... excuse me.
Me: No problem, bye.

I have a couple more stories, but I'll get back to work. Just felt like sharing. Next time, I'll say my last name is Hoka.

Artemis

Re: Wrong number -> prank call

#2 Post by Artemis » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:38 pm

:lol: I didn't notice this thread before.

For about 2 years I was getting calls from all over North America and Isreal asking for Rabbi Abraham Wunsche(not sure of the spelling).
After a few calls and arguments with callers, I found out MY number was printed in a Jewish directory.

Sometimes the callS were very funny;
caller: is rabbi wunsche there?
me:sorry you have the wrong number.
caller:is this 555-1212?
me:yes but there is no rabbi wunsche here.
caller:oh, he's out? when is he coming back?
me:i told you you have the wrong number.
caller:this is 555-1212?
me:yes.
caller:can i speak to rabbi wunsche?
me: NO!that's MY number! there is no Rabbi Wunsche here!
caller: so rabbi wunsche isn't there?

:lol:

anyway, i used to get lots of messages around the high holidays.

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:42 pm

who actually answers their phone when they don't recognize the number?

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:44 pm

creep wrote:who actually answers their phone when they don't recognize the number?
it's me. do you think i, who does not own a cell phone or tv, would have a telephone with call display? :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:who actually answers their phone when they don't recognize the number?
it's me. do you think i, who does not own a cell phone or tv, would have a telephone with call display? :lol:
yeah good point

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:28 pm

Same here, no phone with display and I don't really want one.

Here's another story:

It was around Dec 29, 2010, 6.13 PM. It was Thursday, I remember. I receive this phone call.

Woman: Hello?
Me: Yes?
W: (mildly pissed off) Look, I'm calling you because I'm having some problems with the service you're providing...
M: ... yes?
W: This is [some weird name, like CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet], right?
M: Yes, tell me, what's your problem?
W: Well, I can't get my e-mail! I've tried some things, but I can't seem to fix it.
M: ... and what do you want me to do?
W: What? Well, I want you to fix it, of course! Geez!
M: But it's past 6PM, and so we're closed. You can call back on Tuesday and then we'll have a look at it.
W: TUESDAY?? Are you crazy? No, no, no, I need my e-mail now, what do you mean Tuesday!?
M: Well, you see, today we're closed. Tomorrow it's Friday and New Years is coming, so tomorrow doesn't really count. Then, there's the weekend and you know, people go out to party and get a little crazy, so Monday everyone is just recovering from the holidays, so Tuesday should be fine, but call after lunch just to be sure.
W: What? Are you serious? And why can't you help me now??
M: We're closed, lady. It's 6:15
W: So?
M: "So"? I have to go home. Are *you* going to pay me extra hours? No, I have to go home and feed my kids.
W: This is unbelievable, how can you NOT help me?! I'm gonna file a claim.
M: File anything you want, you have the right to do it. Although I'd way until Tuesday.
W: ...
M: But look, lady. Say you stay at your office sleeping and I call you at 1 AM asking you to help me. Would you do it?
W...
M: You wouldn't do it, because it's not your working hours!
W: Well, I'd try to help you
M: Nah, you're just saying that because you want my help. Sorry
W: This is unbelievable. OK, I'll file a claim and look for a different provider. This is an outrage.
M: OK, do what you will. Have a good New Years, bye!
(click)

It's one of my masterpieces, so far.

chaos

#7 Post by chaos » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 pm

About 10-12 years ago I got calls at all hours - some guy trying to call one of his buddies. I finally gave up and told the caller the guy he was looking for was dead. End of calls. (If there is a hell I am so going there.) :lol:

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:20 pm

For a span of about 4 years in the late 90's, I was getting calls at all hours from patients of a local Huntington Beach psychiatrist who shared the exact same name as me. People would call information, give the guy's name and my number would come up. Most were just "sorry, wrong number" but some of the more extreme ones would just start rambling and looking to vent and the worst were a few late night callers who were potentially suicidal. Finally changed my number.

perkana

#9 Post by perkana » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 pm

I still have the phone line when I used to connect with dial up. I never answer it, but one time it rang and I answered it. It was this woman who was asking for her husband and started telling me that she knew he was sleeping with me, etc etc. I kept replying to her until I realized I didn't give a shit and hung up on her. After that I have unplugged it.
On my regular line they always think I'm a groceries shop or something like that, always call for eggs. I can't do what you do Larry, but maybe if I'm in the mood :lol:

kv

#10 Post by kv » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

my grandmothers phone was the same as the local dmv after the dmv changed their number
to 453-6186 hers was 453-6168 (number is bogus don't try it)...amazing how many people dial wrong..
anyway when i was going to college i would sometimes crash at her house instead of driving home after a night class where i had an early morning class next day
he phone would start at 5:30am with people wanting to make appointments and my grandmother was a church lady so was out of the house ass early..and her phone was so fucking loud...so i'd get up and answer it ...people don't even ask if it's the dmv they just start going off:
"yes i want an appointment for this tuesday at 10am or can i get one today..i have to.."
this is the wrong number
"is this the dmv?"
no
"are you sure?'
very
"is this 453-6186?'
no
click

back to bed 2 steps ringgggggggg

hello?
"yes i would like to make an appointment for this tuesday.."
ya same wrong number
click

back to bed

3 minutes later
"yes i would like to make an appointment for tuesday"

ok miss your name? how does 10am work for you?

"oh perfect that's what i was gonna ask for"

i made a lot of appointments that semester

Lokus

#11 Post by Lokus » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:16 am

From January of this year until the summer, almost every morning I'd arrive to work and have anywhere from 1-7 voice mails on my work phone from an overseas number with guys speaking Arabic. I looked up the country and area codes and most of them were from Lebanon. Often it seemed like the speed dial was accidentally dialed and there was a 5 minute message of mumbling in the background. Now, I can understand this kind of thing happening occasionally, but like I said it was multiple times each week.

Considering where I work in the Canadian Government, I always wondered if it was some terrorist phishing for something (is it racist of me to think that?). I've never reported this.

Jasper

#12 Post by Jasper » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:01 pm

I had several situations like this. I never fucked with them on purpose, but once I got a new cell # and people called for "Curtis." Curtis was a joke nickname of mine from a place I worked in VT (see video below). I used to manage this French catering food/wine place, and I'd take the cash I'd made and at the end of the night I'd bring it to a French restaurant (owned by the same person) and pay all of the servers. So I said, "Yeah, you know Curtis, baby..." and went on for a while, me wondering who the guy was on the other end, before the person started to sound suspicious and started saying "come on, this isn't Curtis, man..." That's when I began to realize that maybe I wasn't Curtis. I couldn't even begin to try to explain my reaction, so I think I just said "yeah, wrong number. Bye."

guysmiley

#13 Post by guysmiley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:46 am

Who ever had my last cell phone in the states was a whore. I got booty call texts at all times of the day for someone named Mandy. I also had some guy who would leave me voice messages everyday for 2 weeks for a guy named Landlow or something. :hs: