A very Weiland-y X-mas

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Tyler Durden

Re: A very Weiland-y X-mas

#51 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:00 pm

JOEinPHX

#52 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:21 pm

i don't know why STP didn't just let Atlantic put out a live album or something to fulfill their obligations.

Alice In Chains did that.

Kajicat

#53 Post by Kajicat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i don't know why STP didn't just let Atlantic put out a live album or something to fulfill their obligations.

Yeah I'm really not sure what the stipulations of the contract are; never read it. If putting out a live album fulfills it then they are all fucking idiots for not just going that route. :noclue:

Juana

#54 Post by Juana » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Should just strong arm them and not tour or work together unless Atlantic allows the live album to fulfill it. Atlantic like all labels right now is just trying to cling to everything that they can. They already made their money back with Core and Purple they should just part ways and pretty sure they can do what other bands have done and sue to get out after a certain amount of years.

Matz

#55 Post by Matz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
blackcoffee wrote:Weiland still reminds me of the guy who came after those who broke the scene. Like in the sixties there were the original musicians who broke, and then flower children, and all that stuff were used to market potato chips. He has grown into his own larger than life caricature, though. He has managed since his early days to do a few interesting things, but his lyrics speak nothing to me. I don't think he has an ounce of street cred despite whatever he is/was addicted to. His saving grace is he can dress well. I'm sure part of my feelings are because of my age. My sister dug STP and thought they were cool. I've liked their radio singles for what they were, but I've always thought he was something of a poseur.
AMEN BROTHER!

STP were a decent singles/radio band...that's where it ends. And Weiland has always come off completely like an insincere poseur/wanker to me.

Check out the English Laundry interview. At the beginning, he decides to "croon" for the audience and people start laughing right at him, thinking it is a joke; then there's an awkward silence and he continues and people realize he is being dead serious. Then when he finishes and people applaud, he has this smug expression on his face like "I'm the shit". It's priceless! What a fucktard. :lolol:

he really comes off bad here, he's definitely fucked with his brain somehow in a bad way. Pretty painful to watch

blackcoffee

#56 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm not buying it. He might have taken a valium before this. I put my brain and body through absolute hell, but I still come across as halfway intelligent. He just didn't have much to start with is what I'm guessing--that and he's not comfortable with public speaking.

Tyler Durden

#57 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Never mind that. His crooning is lame as fuck. :lolol:

NYRexall

#58 Post by NYRexall » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:27 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
STP were a decent singles/radio band...that's where it ends. And Weiland has always come off completely like an insincere poseur/wanker to me.

Check out the English Laundry interview. At the beginning, he decides to "croon" for the audience and people start laughing right at him, thinking it is a joke; then there's an awkward silence and he continues and people realize he is being dead serious. Then when he finishes and people applaud, he has this smug expression on his face like "I'm the shit". It's priceless! What a fucktard. :lolol:
STP were indeed a decent singles/radio band, but their albums hold up as a whole, too.

I know, it;s all a matter of opinion and I'm in no way saying you're observation is wrong. But each of their albums -- with the exception of their sixth one -- is pretty great from start to finish. Granted, their post-1996 output hasn't been as strong as their first three records, but to say they were merely a singles band is kind of inaccurate because each of their albums is distinct from the others while still managing to sound like STP.

They didn't dabble in electronica at any point or try to bring in any bogus songwriters or flavor-of-the-month guests to spice up their sound. They've always been indebted to their idols and made their own take on those influences, which you can hear in their albums.

That being said, the English Laundry interview is pretty fucking embarrassing on Scott's part. His crooning doesn't bother me so much as it is obvious the dude is a burnout beyond repair. It amazes me he can still remember the words to his songs or even dress himself stylishly when hearing him talk like this.

Frusciante is the same way. Can still play guitar and release albums and do the "music business" thing, but listen to the guy talk and it's like listening to a mentally handicapped person speak.

NYRexall

#59 Post by NYRexall » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:34 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i don't know why STP didn't just let Atlantic put out a live album or something to fulfill their obligations.

Personally, I could live without an STP live record. I want them to release another album, if it's as good as the self-titled album they put out last year. That was their best shit since Purple.

Yea, that's right. I said it. I'm here to represent it. Last I remember, you were adamant that Tiny Music was their best effort. That one has grown on me over the years but I've never seen it as anything spectacular.

I remember when Thank You came out and you said they should have called it "Fuck You". At least Atlantic set a golden standard with that one as far as greatest hits albums go. all their best-known hits and songs were on there, as well as an excellent new song to bait their hardcore fans. And that DVD that comes with it is fucking loaded with goodness. It amazes me how record companies can fuck up greatest hits cd/dvd packages but you see it all the time.

The STP one is the rare exception.

NYRexall

#60 Post by NYRexall » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:44 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
I think they basically have the same kind of thing going on that Jane's does. They realize they can make a comfortable living doing the band, they just need to find way of putting up with each other.

So Scott travels separate from the rest of the band.

I know one of the Deleos (Dean i think) has the biggest problem with Scott. And they don't really speak. And his brother Robert is kind of an in-the-moment kind of guy. He'll call Scott out on his shit in public interviews, but he'll also praise him when he's doing well.

And the drummer... no one cares about that guy. haha
That's kind of what I figured. Not so much about wanting to make music together so much as it is realizing there are people out there who will pay to hear them perform and figure it's worth everyone being a pain in the ass to each other.

I'd rather they just broke up in that case, because like Tyler Durden alluded to, it just makes the whole thing seem phoney. There's an article in a recent issue of rolling Stone where they talk about the Blink 182 reunion and how the Angels and Airwaves douche wouldn't record in the same studio as the other two, how he's all about spirituality and veggie smoothies and other lame shit. Then he gets on stage each night and makes dick and fart jokes with the band to appease the audience.

What a fucking load. The same with STP only recording together to make money and get out of their contract. The same with Perry e-mailing his vocal tracks into the studio where the real work is being done. The same with Bush regrouping with only half the original band in tow for no good reason except Gavin can't stand Gwen bringing home all the bread.

All business, all veneer. Artistic integrity completely in the rearview.

They can keep it.

Robert Deleo is as real as they come though. I've met him a few times and he's one of the nicest, most down-to-earth rockstars I've ever met. Totally gracious for every bit of support the band gets and every fan who shows up and puts money in his pocket. The guy is a fantastic bass player and songwriter and could by all means be a total dick but he's anything but.

The drummer guy is a cool dude as well. What's his name again? :lol:

JOEinPHX

#61 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:40 pm

NYRexall wrote:

Personally, I could live without an STP live record. I want them to release another album, if it's as good as the self-titled album they put out last year. That was their best shit since Purple.

Yea, that's right. I said it.
You're on crack.

That album was fucking worse than anything they have ever done before. Musically it was way too pop. It reminded me of Pearl Jam's latest album. Real punchy power pop at best. And Weiland ruined it even further with continued songs about Mary and his kids, and drugs, and just being repetitive lyrically on every single song.

I'm here to represent it. Last I remember, you were adamant that Tiny Music was their best effort. That one has grown on me over the years but I've never seen it as anything spectacular.
Yeah, i still think that album is their most glorious moment. Well, either that or Purple. It depends on the day.
I remember when Thank You came out and you said they should have called it "Fuck You". At least Atlantic set a golden standard with that one as far as greatest hits albums go. all their best-known hits and songs were on there, as well as an excellent new song to bait their hardcore fans. And that DVD that comes with it is fucking loaded with goodness. It amazes me how record companies can fuck up greatest hits cd/dvd packages but you see it all the time.

The STP one is the rare exception.
Yeah their greatest hits was actually decent. Not that i listen to it, because i own all the albums. But "All in the suit that you wear" is a fucking great song.

Kajicat

#62 Post by Kajicat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Eric Kretz is the drummer. Nice guy, like Robert.

The self-titled album is their worst album imo, but I still give it a 7.5/10. I actually really like it. If that's the quality we can get from them putting something out rather quickly then I'm all for another!

Tiny Music is my favorite of theirs, followed closely by Purple. Tiny Music is awesome psychedelic pop with a twist of glam in there as well, and of course straight up alternative rock. It's the album where they found out what kind of band they are.

Thank You is sweet. All In The Suit That You Wear is excellent, and like NYRexall said before, the DVD is spectacular. All of the music videos, tons of live performances, and even bootlegs. So good!!!

JOEinPHX

#63 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:58 pm

NYRexall wrote:
That's kind of what I figured. Not so much about wanting to make music together so much as it is realizing there are people out there who will pay to hear them perform and figure it's worth everyone being a pain in the ass to each other.

I'd rather they just broke up in that case,
At least they are still recording new music. They could just go out and do the greatest hits for the rest of their lives at boat shows and rib burnoffs in the midwest like alot of 90s bands are currently doing.

because like Tyler Durden alluded to, it just makes the whole thing seem phoney. There's an article in a recent issue of rolling Stone where they talk about the Blink 182 reunion and how the Angels and Airwaves douche wouldn't record in the same studio as the other two, how he's all about spirituality and veggie smoothies and other lame shit. Then he gets on stage each night and makes dick and fart jokes with the band to appease the audience.
i hate that guy. and angels and airwaves.
What a fucking load. The same with STP only recording together to make money and get out of their contract. The same with Perry e-mailing his vocal tracks into the studio where the real work is being done.
STP was doing the same thing though. Scott recorded all his vocals in his home studio. the tracks were emailed to him.

It's kind of lame, but on one hand... it prevents fights and breakups.

on the other hand, maybe fights would produce better lyrics and music.
The same with Bush regrouping with only half the original band in tow for no good reason except Gavin can't stand Gwen bringing home all the bread.
Bush is a different story. Gavin called all the original members. But that Nigel guy decided like a decade ago to just be a stay at home dad. And i am not sure the story about the bass player but i recall it being something similar.
All business, all veneer. Artistic integrity completely in the rearview.
It's mostly their 20 year old selves and radio support in the rearview.

Now they are just doing what they can with who they've got, to support their wives and kids and the houses they stupidly didn't buy outright when they had their millions.

Robert Deleo is as real as they come though. I've met him a few times and he's one of the nicest, most down-to-earth rockstars I've ever met. Totally gracious for every bit of support the band gets and every fan who shows up and puts money in his pocket. The guy is a fantastic bass player and songwriter and could by all means be a total dick but he's anything but.
My friend Jon said the same thing. He met Robert because he and a friend went to a music school that had some connection to the dude, so they were hanging out one day and Robert was asking Jon about his band's touring. He said he felt weird because a guy who had sold 30 million records was actually taking interest in his tiny nothing metal band who was doing their first tour ever when he could have been bragging about himself. Said he was super nice and didn't have a hint of ego in him.

JOEinPHX

#64 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Kajicat wrote:Eric Kretz is the drummer.
We know.

Drummer jokes.

Kajicat

#65 Post by Kajicat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Kajicat wrote:Eric Kretz is the drummer.
We know.

Drummer jokes.
As a drummer, I take offense to those jokes :ax: :lol:

Tyler Durden

#66 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm

I stopped reading all of these posts. STP is a fake, phoney band; their music is GOOD on a superficial level. They are fashion over passion (style over substance). It's not like their are making timeless music with great lyrical content that truly resonates. Comparing them to the likes of Pearl Jam is like comparing INXS to U2.

Kajicat

#67 Post by Kajicat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I stopped reading all of these posts. STP is a fake, phoney band; their music is GOOD on a superficial level. They are fashion over passion (style over substance). It's not like their are making timeless music with great lyrical content that truly resonates. Comparing them to the likes of Pearl Jam is like comparing INXS to U2.
So you "stopped reading all of these posts" yet continued to comment on the current subject.... :confused:

JOEinPHX

#68 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I stopped reading all of these posts. STP is a fake, phoney band; their music is GOOD on a superficial level. They are fashion over passion (style over substance). It's not like their are making timeless music with great lyrical content that truly resonates. Comparing them to the likes of Pearl Jam is like comparing INXS to U2.
INXS > U2

Tyler Durden

#69 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
INXS > U2
Fuck off. :lolol:

JOEinPHX

#70 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
INXS > U2

Me > You

Tyler Durden

#71 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
INXS > U2

Me > You
Yeah, and Foghat > Led Zeppelin :lol:

NYRexall

#72 Post by NYRexall » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
You're on crack.

That album was fucking worse than anything they have ever done before. Musically it was way too pop. It reminded me of Pearl Jam's latest album. Real punchy power pop at best. And Weiland ruined it even further with continued songs about Mary and his kids, and drugs, and just being repetitive lyrically on every single song.
Uh-uh, you're on crack.

What are you comparing it to? No. 4? Happy In Galoshes? Shangri-la-dee-shit?

Time will vindicate my opinion. I think that album encompasses what they're supposed to sound like more than any other album they've done. Between The Lines, Take a Load Off and the last two songs...the best songs they've done since some of the ones on Tiny Music. I'm surprised you hate it so much.
Yeah, i still think that album is their most glorious moment. Well, either that or Purple. It depends on the day.
I just don't see it. I had it the day it was released and still remember thinking "what the fuck is this?". I'm more forgiving when I hear it now. Adhesive, Love Pop Suicide, Ride the Cliche...all good. Probably their most colorful album, sonically and musically. That's why I like the self-titled one a lot; it has different colors but still manages to sound like something all their own.
Yeah their greatest hits was actually decent. Not that i listen to it, because i own all the albums. But "All in the suit that you wear" is a fucking great song.
You know what else is great on that album? The fucking breasts on the girl holding the sunflower when you open the digipack up.

Holy mother of Christ.

NYRexall

#73 Post by NYRexall » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:24 pm

It's funny you say this because I was just driving down a long country road through a mountain the other day and listening to "Creep" and saying to myself "this is timeless music with great lyrical content that truly resonates in me."

A funny thing indeed. Still one of my favourite songs ever, I think.

NYRexall

#74 Post by NYRexall » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
INXS > U2
And no shit, I'll second this.

Get a fucking clue, Tyler. Shjeeez.

NYRexall

#75 Post by NYRexall » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Although...INXS needs to be taken out behind the barn and shot, too. Hutchence died 15 years ago and his former bandmates are still trying to make meal ticket out of the band.

LET IT DIE.

Similarly, U2 hasn't made anything good in 15 years either.

Joe, you think Weiland's lyrics are boring and repetitive? Go listen to some of the tripe Bono has been singing about int he last ten years. Take a spoon with you so you can gag yourself with it when it starts getting bad (which doesn't take long, I'm afraid)