World didn't end...again

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Jasper

World didn't end...again

#1 Post by Jasper » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am

Not that anyone payed much attention this time around, but Friday was the latest day that Harold Camping said the world would end, following his failure to get it right a few months earlier, and a few years before that.

Will he stop now? I doubt it. There seems to be very little media coverage this time, but I hope that we'll still be able to hear the rationalizing by Camping and his followers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blo ... _blog.html

Kajicat

Re: World didn't end...again

#2 Post by Kajicat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:15 am

Oh lordy. I remember back when he said it was going to end in like March or whatever. They day after he pretty much hid from the media. Stayed in a hotel even so people couldn't find him. I'm surprised he still has followers after that, and now after this.

chaos

#3 Post by chaos » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:35 am

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:10 am

The world ending would have conflicted with my girls' day of brunch and shoe shopping today. :lol:

Turncoat

#5 Post by Turncoat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:58 am

Well... maybe the anti-christ was born... it's the beginning of the end... :noclue:

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:30 am

What exactly do they think the words 'world' and 'end' mean?

I never understood that... The world meaning the planet? The world meaning the Christian dominant culture? The world meaning the universe? Why would the second coming of Christ (were it a coherent thought to begin with) entail some kind of literal 'end' to those things? Judgment day? Why now? Why not 100,000 years ago? It's so arbitrary... what kind of stupid God would choose arbitrary times to do such important things as ending reality as we know it? It's absurd.

But I know a lot of highly educated very smart people who think the universe had an absolute beginning (due to misunderstanding of what current cosmology actually says), that there could be a finite amount of stuff in the universe, and other strange brute facts that can have no explanation why they are the case and not something else. So it's not just religious people that get sucked into that wierd way of thinking. :crazy:

Xizen47

#7 Post by Xizen47 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:15 pm

*weird

Everybody's Friend

#8 Post by Everybody's Friend » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:26 pm

The date of the last prediction (late May) I was up a mountain in Utah waiting to start a marathon...

The loudspeakers played REM's "End of the World as we Know It" as we all lined up....that was pretty funny.

:lol:

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Xizen47 wrote:*weird
I think I've become incapable of remembering how to spell that correctly. Years of German language studies have left me stuck thinking that a long 'e' sound is always spelled 'ie'. Originally I spelled it 'weird' unconsciously, but then re-read what I wrote and it looked weird, so I changed it... :confused: It could also be undergrad papers I've been marking rubbing off... as tends to happen. After 50 of them in a row, you're bound to forget how to spell things. :lol:

cursed male

#10 Post by cursed male » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Jasper wrote:Not that anyone payed much attention this time around, but Friday was the latest day that Harold Camping said the world would end, following his failure to get it right a few months earlier, and a few years before that.

Will he stop now? I doubt it. There seems to be very little media coverage this time, but I hope that we'll still be able to hear the rationalizing by Camping and his followers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blo ... _blog.html
Patience. :dunce: