Official NHL Thread

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
kv

Re: NHL 2011/12

#61 Post by kv » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:35 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/sounds ... ote]Around the time that Guns N’ Roses was getting our thing going in mid-'80s Los Angeles, there was one other band that was the perfect angry counterpart to what we were doing: Jane’s Addiction.

JA was weird, edgy, dark and wrote the most spectacular riffs of any band since. Bass player Eric Avery, I came to find out, was a huge part of the songwriting for Jane’s, and perhaps singularly informed that band of which direction to go in those early formative years.

Eric Avery is also a long-suffering Los Angeles Kings fan. And perhaps today or this week, those years of pain will come to an end. The Kings just appear to be too dominant to do anything but win the Stanley Cup.

The L.A. Kings fan community is an odd bunch. From what I have observed being in L.A. so much myself, Kings fans aren’t necessarily the typical three- or four-sport year-round spectator of all of the other L.A. teams. This is also true of Avery. He doesn’t follow the Lakers, really. Nor the Dodgers or Angels.

I had noticed throughout the season that Eric was tweeting more and more about the Kings, as they just scraped by into the playoffs and as they became the first No. 8 seed in NHL history to beat the top three seeded teams. It’s weird to see a guy like him being so animated about sports. He tends to come more from an art side, than the sport side of life. This speaks for the Kings and their fans. They are an odd bunch who have taken it on the nose for quite some time.

Avery has been on the road with the reinstated Garbage, and has had to resort to getting updated scores from the monitor guy on the side of the stage (“The right hand is for the Kings, the left hand for whoever they are playing,” Avery told me). His enthusiasm for the Kings is now infused with confidence that his team will win it all. He was so confident on the phone Tuesday morning that he didn’t even have a fear of jinxing his team.

He is in fact such a cool dude, that it inspires a non-hockey fan such as myself to try to find a way in to the sport (or, until Seattle gets an NHL team?).

• • •

ESPN’s Colin Cowherd just seems to be one of those guys who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff. You can, of course, agree or disagree with his takes on different sports issues; but it’d be hard to argue that the guy is not on top of his game information-wise.

I couldn’t help but notice the passion in Cowherd’s voice on Monday, when he brought up the topic of Justin Blackmon getting popped with another DUI (Blackmon’s second). The situation was made more serious, as now Blackmon must face the daunting proving ground of being a troubled draft pick without yet having signed his contract. This DUI could be an exorbitant financial blow.

But above and beyond the money part, Cowherd threw the "possible alcoholic" tag on Blackmon, and voiced his concern that perhaps the newly drafted wide receiver should look for some help before the "disease" got out of control. This is an area I know something about. Cowherd does too.

In my case, I’ve done my time with caustic substances. The alcohol. The drugs. I’ve been clear of it all for quite some time now, but it is a disease that will come back worse than before. I’ve tried it. It wasn’t cool.

Cowherd came back from a commercial break, to reveal that people were jumping all over him via email and Twitter, that he didn’t know what he was talking about, and some others were presumably joking about Blackmon and alcoholism (Cowherd went on the explain that his late father was an alcoholic and that he himself had grown up going to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, and had read a lot about the disease).

The point here is not if people agree about whether Blackmon is an alcoholic; but rather, that people who have no experience with addiction can be so cavalier and judgmental. Cowherd was taken aback. Me? I’ve seen that movie. Been on the wrong end of those opinions too many times.

We should come to the aid of our sports heroes. It’s easy for us to sit on the sidelines and joke or make fun of someone for a misstep. Remember, these guys and gals are just human, going through the same stuff we all go through, but in a much more public arena. Chill out, and give a break where needed. In Blackmon’s case, he is only 22 years old.

In anyone else’s case? No one wants to be a junkie or an alcoholic.[/quote]

kv

#62 Post by kv » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:10 pm

come on...

creep
Site Admin

#63 Post by creep » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:12 pm

pretty brilliant of the nhl to schedule the last two games up against the nba playoffs. if you are trying to get new fans you might want to play on their off days or before.

Juana

#64 Post by Juana » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:12 pm

GO KINGS GO!

kv

#65 Post by kv » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:58 am

keep in mine the nba schedule changed not the nhl's...sucked both goals were our fault...i hate when the goalie won't stay in the fucking crease...and 2 goals have gone off our players...and it was the same guy both times...sucks...but those are the breaks got two more shots at it

Pandemonium

#66 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:36 am

Watched the last half hours of the Kings/Devils and the Celtics/Heat games inside Staples at one of the bars before tonight's Van Halen show. There was a huge police presence outside and a lot of Kings fans showing around sundown not even going to the show making for a pretty big crowd at the Nokia plaza. But when the Kings game ended with another loss, it was like the air was let out of the bar.

kv

#67 Post by kv » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:55 pm

wow, thats all i got

i was a kings fan since i was a little kid then didn't watch it since the strike till the last few games of the reg season...i have seen the lakers win it countless times...but seeing the kings win it made me well up...i know, i know :jasper: but true story lakers never made me well up but then again i didn't wait my entire life for them to win...i'm sure if the vikes ever win it i would be the same..awesome thing

as bob miller said "after 45 years, the kings can finally wear their crown"

wow

Hype

#68 Post by Hype » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:58 pm

kv wrote:wow, thats all i got

i was a kings fan since i was a little kid then didn't watch it since the strike till the last few games of the reg season...i have seen the lakers win it countless times...but seeing the kings win it made me well up...i know, i know :jasper: but true story lakers never made me well up but then again i didn't wait my entire life for them to win...i'm sure if the vikes ever win it i would be the same..awesome thing

wow
Change your name half-back to Kingsv.

(What a fucking embarassing game for the Devils though, they really hung Brodeur out to dry... :confused: One of the weirdest games of hockey I've ever seen... that 5-min/misconduct penalty was really arbitrary...)

Juana

#69 Post by Juana » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:05 pm

kv wrote:wow, thats all i got

wow
Yeah its crazy that they have finally got it. I have watched the Lakers win it 8 times. It's amazing to see them win the cup.

kv

#70 Post by kv » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote: Change your name half-back to Kingsv.

(What a fucking embarassing game for the Devils though, they really hung Brodeur out to dry... :confused: One of the weirdest games of hockey I've ever seen... that 5-min/misconduct penalty was really arbitrary...)
lol naw it's a dumb name lol kv is fine...as for the penalty it couldn't have been any more by the book....it was a minor, he was gushing which made it a major it's just an insane back breaker that we scored 3 times on it

edit was just reading the game thread on the devils forum...even their fans weren't crying about it they were pissed at their player for doing it
Does not matter.
He messed up and there was plenty of blood.
Might cost us....But its early
Bernier might of single handedly just ended the season. Come on boys.
That's a big mistake..
Good (bleep) job Bernier.
( sooo glad this forum doesn't edit like other btw fuck fuck fuck fuck cunt oh wait nm)
Bad penalty to take. No arguing there
Need a big kill right here. Could be the season.
Last edited by kv on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hype

#71 Post by Hype » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 pm

kv wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: Change your name half-back to Kingsv.

lol naw it's a dumb name lol kv is fine...as for the penalty it couldn't have been any more by the book....it was a minor, he was gushing which made it a major it's just an insane back breaker that we scored 3 times on it

edit was just reading on devils forum, game thread when it happened even their fans weren't crying about it they were pissed at their player for doing it
Cherry's predictable response was "Dude shouldn't have gone into the corner like that and not expected to get hit." :lol:

The NJ fans in the room I was in felt like it should've been a double-minor.

Also what the fuck... the one ref got nailed by a player... :lol:

kv

#72 Post by kv » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:32 pm

cherry said... :lolol: he can expect to get hit all he wants it was clear boarding regardless with gushing blood=major...nobody has any reason to cry about that but the guy who committed the foul...nhl has always knocked huge on people who chuck people from behind face first into the boards at the board glass meeting point it wrecks people..has taken stars out with major head and neck injuries...again it's rough we scored 3 times on it but it was a good call and the only call to make

did you see that ref try to blow his whistle? his lip was fucking huge and pouring blood he soo didn't want to come out

kv

#73 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:17 am

:yeay: lol sucks there used to be this bar that the kings would go to after games in manhattan beach that was owned by an ex nhl'er...they would so be there with the cup tonight...if it was still around ...i remember back in the day some tough guy i went to school which wanted to fight this kings enforcer....he did...the guy pulled his shirt over his head and smashed his face on a table opening up a good cut on his forehead....he was then thrown out lol..had a friend who bartended there that said it happened all the time...the tough guys would wanna fight the enforcers and get owned...

makes me think of the willie roaf story...another friend bartender in wisconsin had willy come in to watch his ncaa team play ( he was in town to play the packers and is a nfl hall of fame linemen) two guy were fucking with him same shit and willy ignored them until one got in his face and started grabbing at him..i guess willy was thinking "ok he is touching me now i am gonna get up and end this" so he gets up second he does the guys friend comes over and willy hit both of them open hand lineman style to the jaw and fucked them both up 1 hit each...willy payed for his tab said sorry then paid for some other peoples drinks and bailed lol...they are pros for a reason people ( if you have read either story before you, like myself, need to stop coming here lol)

so if you see this guy...leave him the fuck alone

kv

#74 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 pm

And then everybody danced, ate and sang at a party 45 years in the making. Later, several players took the Cup to one of their favorite pubs in Hermosa Beach, one of the beautiful South Bay seaside towns where nearly all of the Kings live when they aren't chasing hockey hardware.
they have a new bar lol damnit i missed it

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/12/los-angel ... osa-beach/

kv

#75 Post by kv » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 pm

parading with the cup :banana:

chaos

#76 Post by chaos » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:44 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/photos-of- ... 16584.html
Jordan Nolan #71 of the Los Angeles Kings waves to fans in the midst of confetti falling down during the Los Angeles Kings Stanley Cup Victory Parade on June 14, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Victor Decolongon/Getty Images)

Artemis

#77 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Artemis

#78 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:51 am

Hype

#79 Post by Hype » Sun May 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I'm liking the HD live video of local games on CBC.ca. Montreal - Ottawa right now. I dislike both teams, but I gotta go with the Habs in this one. :banana:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#80 Post by Hokahey » Mon May 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Had a get together for the Blues game Saturday. Still not feeling well.

kv

#81 Post by kv » Mon May 06, 2013 3:29 pm

go kings tonight

Hype

#82 Post by Hype » Mon May 06, 2013 11:36 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH TORONTO.

kv

#83 Post by kv » Tue May 07, 2013 12:20 am

kings back in the series!

Juana

#84 Post by Juana » Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 am

kv wrote:kings back in the series!
Yeah that was a helluva 3rd last night. Hopefully they can keep the momentum and grab game 5. Seems like from the start of the season they were in a funk because of the shortened season.

Pure Method

#85 Post by Pure Method » Tue May 07, 2013 4:21 pm

couldn't look at this thread until detroit won last night.