So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Matz

Re: So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

#226 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Iron Man was on tv tonight, tried to watch it but I lost interest pretty fast. I always end up feeling I'm watching a kids movie

JOEinPHX

#227 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Liked Iron Man

Iron Man 2 was a bit of a miss

Both Hulks sucked, although Ed Norton's was better

Captain America was alright

Thor sucked just because not much happened, although a lot of it looked cool.

Green Lantern was pretty good

Have never seen either of the Fantastic 4 movies. Maybe i should even though i heard they both sucked

Spider man 1 and 2 were good. 3 was crap just because there were too many characters and Eric Foreman shouldn't be playing Venom.

Looking forward to The Avengers, but i don't have high hopes just because I think there are too many characters to tell a decent story. It will be 2 hours of random heroes swooping in to help other characters but not much in the way of a story.

Larry B.

#228 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:46 pm

I just saw Midnight In Paris. Pretty good, entertaining flick. Funny thing that Rachel McAdams was ACTUALLY fucking the pedantic guy.

ant

#229 Post by ant » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Larry B. wrote:I just saw Midnight In Paris. Pretty good, entertaining flick. Funny thing that Rachel McAdams was ACTUALLY fucking the pedantic guy.
This is one of my favorites of 2011. Love the concept. Love Marion Cotillard.

Larry B.

#230 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 pm

ant wrote:
Larry B. wrote:I just saw Midnight In Paris. Pretty good, entertaining flick. Funny thing that Rachel McAdams was ACTUALLY fucking the pedantic guy.
This is one of my favorites of 2011. Love the concept. Love Marion Cotillard.
I love her.

farrellgirl99

#231 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Just saw We Need to Talk About Kevin. so disturbing! i feel like i won't be able to sleep tonight (it was very good though)

Pandemonium

#232 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:37 am

Watched The Immortals last night. Visually impressive but otherwise mostly plodding, cartoonish junk. If you've seen "300" and "Clash Of The Titans" and liked them, this may be worth a viewing, but if you don't like those movies, skip this one big time. I was originally looking forward to this one due to the director Tarsim who also did "The Cell" and "The Fall," but this just sucked.

perkana

#233 Post by perkana » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:05 pm

I saw last night This is Spinal Tap. Last time I saw it was like 15-20 years ago and I didn't understand much. Have to look for more of these mockumentaries. The other one I watched with Christopher Guest was Best in Show and loved it too

Pandemonium

#234 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:22 pm

perkana wrote:I saw last night This is Spinal Tap. Last time I saw it was like 15-20 years ago and I didn't understand much. Have to look for more of these mockumentaries. The other one I watched with Christopher Guest was Best in Show and loved it too
Best In Show is excellent. Completely slipped under my radar when it first came out and caught it on a rainy late night on one of the movie channels and laughed my ass off. I think the guys from SCTV have "aged" as comedians much better than anyone from SNL.

perkana

#235 Post by perkana » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:08 pm

so many funny bits that I like from that movie, especially Eugene Levy's when O'Hara says that he has two left feet but seriously, he does! :lol:
Or when one of the gay guys says: it looks like Princess has two mommies! It is really good
I still have to watch the one about the folk music contest

Larry B.

#236 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 am

Attempted watching Mean Streets, but couldn't bear past 25 minutes. Robert de Niro seemed amazing, though.

Attempted watching Tree of Life, but couldn't bear past 25 minutes. Attempted watching Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but couldn't bear past 30 minutes. In both movies, what the fuck is up with the direction??? Is it really THAT hard to make a scene last more than 14 seconds? Is it THAT hard to have a scene in which more than one people talks? I found that really annoying. There'd be like a 6 second shot of something, than someone would say 'This isn't gonna be easy...', then there'd be 3 seconds of air; cut to another scene, with a 6 second shot of a car, then a voice: 'ok, this is it...'. 3 seconds of air. Repeat.

THEN, I saw Living in the Material World. Lovely. I thought it was very well done. It was especially painful to know details about the stabbing incident. I didn't know it had been SO creepy and scary.

Today, of course, George will be my soundtrack.

Matz

#237 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:39 pm

I doubt that anyone remembers this, but the episode of Dark Matter where Dave played a bit of Classic girl they talked about favorite movies or something like that and Dave at one point said 'It's all about Close encounters'.

I bought it based on what Dave had said about it and watched and I can't believe how bad it is. If this really is Dave's favorite movie I find it fuckin disturbing. On top of that it's supposedly a sci fi classic. Don't know how that happened either.

I would rather watch Lost in translation five times in a row than sit through this semi children's movie borefest again.

creep
Site Admin

#238 Post by creep » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Matz wrote:I doubt that anyone remembers this, but the episode of Dark Matter where Dave played a bit of Classic girl they talked about favorite movies or something like that and Dave at one point said 'It's all about Close encounters'.

I bought it based on what Dave had said about it and watched and I can't believe how bad it is. If this really is Dave's favorite movie I find it fuckin disturbing. On top of that it's supposedly a sci fi classic. Don't know how that happened either.

I would rather watch Lost in translation five times in a row than sit through this semi children's movie borefest again.
i can't believe that everyone didn't see this.

it's not modern day great but for its time it was pretty great.

chaos

#239 Post by chaos » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:11 pm

perkana wrote:I saw the other day "Mother and Child" with Naomi Watts and Annette Bening. All I have to say that there are quite a few movies that get to me and that I can't stop thinking about them, and this is one of those. Just checked the imdb page, no wonder I liked it, it was written and directed by Rodrigo García, Gabriel García Márquez son.
This is an intense movie. I was expecting a mushy, Lifetime for Television sort of thing. What a pleasant surprise. Strong performances by both Watts and Benning. I think Benning deserved an Oscar nod for this movie, as opposed to the nomination she received for The Kids are Alright a year later.

kv

#240 Post by kv » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:58 pm

watched "the grey" last night fun romp

Pandemonium

#241 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Matz wrote:I doubt that anyone remembers this, but the episode of Dark Matter where Dave played a bit of Classic girl they talked about favorite movies or something like that and Dave at one point said 'It's all about Close encounters'.

I like both movies, but Close Encounters is one of my absolute favorite movies. Part of that has to do with the circumstances in which I originally saw it, which was opening weekend around Thanksgiving '77 at the now long-gone Cinedome Theaters in Orange which were among the premier theaters in Southern California in the 70's and '80s. One of the only theaters at the time that had stadium seating, 70mm projection capability and multi-channel surround sound. Yes, I agree it's a pretty simple, linear movie with some obvious flaws and now dated acting but at the time it was a huge leap forward in effects films (as was Star wars the year before) and seeing the big effects set pieces in a packed theater was a really remarkable experience. I've probably watched it about 50 times easily in the past 35 years on vhs, laserdisc, dvd and now Blu-ray.

Pandemonium

#242 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 pm

I watched the CGI animated "TinTin" this past weekend no Blu-ray. Maybe it's me, but something about these CGI animated flicks (Polar Express is another one) where they strive for a weird kind of quasi-realism especially in the humans just bugs me. Movie basically comes off as a sort of Indiana Jones style adventure with the typical Spielberg action set pieces with some long periods of dull.

kv

#243 Post by kv » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:57 pm

agreed i didn't even finish watching it

creep
Site Admin

#244 Post by creep » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:00 pm

the only time i will watch an animated film is if it's the only thing playing on an airplane. i saw despicable me and shrek on a plane. i liked them both but i would never rent one or see one in a theater.

perkana

#245 Post by perkana » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Last one I saw was the last Chimpmunks film and just because of my nieces. If they do another Puss in Boots movie, I will definitely watch it in a theater

Larry B.

#246 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Just saw "The Omen". The performances weren't very good and the script had lame moments, which I attribute to the time the movie was filmed in. I thought it was quite a good thriller, and that the audio played a huge part. The music and the silences kept me alert throughout the entire film...

The beginning of the story seemed particularly interesting, the with whole moral dilemma... but a lot of the stuff was just too out there and/or it made no sense. And that scene at the graveyard... the fact that it was a studio was TOO obvious and took away the illusion completely. Very poor effort there.

The highlight: the scene right after the photographer says 'if you don't do it... then I will.' (don't want to spoil it for someone who hasn't seen it.)

This will be... 6/10.

Tomorrow I'll watch The Godfather in a movie theater. Oh glorious day.

perkana

#247 Post by perkana » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:51 am

I'm still debating about going to see John Carter

Pandemonium

#248 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:08 pm

I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo remake last night. Really good if still unnecessary remake. Some parts of the original movie I liked better, especially the casting of Lisbeth but the remake has a few things I preferred as well. BTW, big props for Reznor including the long-lost Belfegore classic "All That I Wanted" in the soundtrack.

Larry B.

#249 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Today I saw The Godfather on the big screen. Such a delicious movie. I've probably seen it 20 times now and it never gets old. It has also had a significant influence in some aspects of my behavior, both for peace and for violence (but always for good). For instance, without this movie I don't think I would have been able to tell a guy to shut the fuck up, to stop lying because he was insulting my intelligence, that I was going to smash his head open, and to get the fuck out of there.

Without that movie, I don't think I would be as good a brother and uncle as I am now either.

perkana

#250 Post by perkana » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo remake last night. Really good if still unnecessary remake. Some parts of the original movie I liked better, especially the casting of Lisbeth but the remake has a few things I preferred as well. BTW, big props for Reznor including the long-lost Belfegore classic "All That I Wanted" in the soundtrack.
Yeah, Roomi is way better. I have to give them props on casting Daniel Craig.