RIP

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: RIP

#76 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:26 am

RIP Taylor Hawkins. Sad news for family and friends and fans. Talented drummer with a lot of charisma.

Artemis

#77 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:27 am

kv wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:50 am
I just always assume fentanyl
When I read that he was found in his hotel room, I immediately thought accidental OD or suicide. :sad:

SR

#78 Post by SR » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:13 am

I did a search and found a NY Times article that mentioned an od in the early 2000s. When asked about his scheme to stay clean, he said he doesn't like to address his process and wouldn't moralize on it. It just seems really strange to me he would be so reliable in the machine that is the Foos for so long, and then collapse just hours before a huge show with another coming up in Lolla and then bookings in LA including the Grammys. I mean, I get the nature of addiction, but he just never seemed to struggle with darkness.

Artemis

#79 Post by Artemis » Thu May 26, 2022 10:47 am

Just heard Ray Liota died, 67. Died in his sleep, no cause given yet.

kv

#80 Post by kv » Thu May 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Fuck one of my favs

clickie

#81 Post by clickie » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:39 am

clickie

#82 Post by clickie » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:51 am

James Caan too, if you guys never saw Bottle Rocket that's a classic.

clickie

#83 Post by clickie » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:10 am

Cigarette break on the set of Godfather

crater

#84 Post by crater » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:13 pm

Respect to Tony Dow

:wavesad:

crater

#85 Post by crater » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:11 pm

Respect

ImageImage

SR

#86 Post by SR » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:19 pm

Incredibly sad. Worse yet, is there is no one to take his place

crater

#87 Post by crater » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:00 am

Respect to the best to ever do it

And it's impossible to pick just one call, but this one might be my favorite of his.

SR

#88 Post by SR » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:49 am

Too many, but this is mine.

SR

#89 Post by SR » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:42 am

Had to be around 2000, Samuel was about 5. We were at a restaurant on the beach in Santa Monica. Odd layout, but there is a patio that doubles as a bridge to the elevator that takes you down to street level. M and I are eating some, drinking some vino and Samuel is bangin around the patio a bit. Vin comes across towards the elevator and doubles back and bends over to greet Samuel. Goo goo talk basically and some head pats. I froze...complete star fucker paralysis. Vin just looks up and waves at us as he leaves. My wife spent the rest of the night crushing me as the star struck goon (which is pretty rare for me). He was just as I thought he'd be. :heart:

crater

#90 Post by crater » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:17 pm

mockbee

#91 Post by mockbee » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:17 pm

I was hanging out with her ex a couple weekends ago, they were on good terms and said she was in pretty poor shape.
Such a high spirit, a tough loss.

RIP :nyrexall:

ForStringBass

#92 Post by ForStringBass » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:50 am

Olivia Newton John was the hottest...especially when she turned into the bad greaser chic....a timeless look, if you think about it.

Artemis

#93 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:37 pm

RIP QEII

When the news broke about the Queen's death today I became surprisingly emotional and shed a few tears. I don't know why, tbh. I'm not a royalist but I do like the Queen and have always respected her. He presence has been a constant for my entire life. Her face is on our money and stamps. I remember her photo being on the walls of classrooms. I will miss her annual Christmas message too. I guess all our money will have "King Charles III( :jasper: ) ugly mug on it now. New Canadians will have to pledge allegiance to the King now..

kv

#94 Post by kv » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:36 pm

Happened to be watching the BBC expecting the break in....when the screen went black for a couple seconds you knew what happened then the breaking news came on.. I had an surprising moment of impact as well...she has always been there...when they played god save the queen a couple moments later I damn near welled up...I don't like kings and queens but it's so deeply rooted in growing up....odd feelings...rip

Tyler Durden

#95 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:59 pm

kv wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:36 pm
Happened to be watching the BBC expecting the break in....when the screen went black for a couple seconds you knew what happened then the breaking news came on.. I had an surprising moment of impact as well...she has always been there...when they played god save the queen a couple moments later I damn near welled up...I don't like kings and queens but it's so deeply rooted in growing up....odd feelings...rip

kv, where are you from? :hs:

kv

#96 Post by kv » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:01 pm

Los Angeles area, bred and spread

What about you?

Artemis

#97 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:56 pm

A well written and eloquent post on the passing of QEII by Billy Bragg.

From Facebook..
Billy Bragg
11h ·
It is reputedly the longest train journey in Germany - from Munich to Hamburg via Leipzig and Berlin, over seven hours travel time. That’s where I found myself on Thursday as news came through that the Queen’s doctors were ‘concerned about her health’. I was in Germany to give a couple of talks about my most recent book ‘The Three Dimensions of Freedom’ which had originally been planned for 2020. As I was explaining to my travelling companion from my Munich based publisher that the Queen had been becoming visibly frail for some time, I saw a screenshot of Huw Edwards, the BBC newscaster, wearing a black tie.
“I think we have to assume the Queen is already dead” I told my German friend. It seemed unthinkable to me that the BBC would go into mourning by mistake. The outrage that would descend on the corporation should they be seen to jump the gun on such a sensitive issue would be more damaging than any of the scandals that have beset them over the past decade.
It would be several more hours until I saw confirmation of her death, while travelling to the event in a taxi. It was interesting to be in a foreign country when the news broke. People seemed genuinely surprised, unaware that the Queen’s health recently been in decline. The taxi driver, a middle aged man, was visibly moved and spoke about how he felt when his father had died a year after the death of his mother. When I mentioned the news to the audience, there was an audible gasp of shock. Later, in my hotel room, I found that a number of German tv channels were covering the news live.
The Queen clearly meant something to these people, beyond her being the head of state of a neighbouring country.
Personally, I’ve never had strong feelings about the monarchy and the cosmetic role they play in our constitution. My concerns have always been about the way the powers which were once the sole preserve of the monarch have been conferred onto the prime minister, allowing the holder of that office to declare war and sign treaties without recourse to parliamentary debate. Hopefully the ascension of Charles III will initiate a debate about the role of the monarchy in a modern democracy, perhaps helping to kick start reforms such as the abolition of the House of Lords and a written constitution.
Having said that, I do want to take a moment to reflect on the passing of a person who has played a role in our national life over the past seven decades that is unrivalled in its significance. The importance of the Queen as a figurehead was made clear to me in 2007 when I saw a news report of the dedication of the Armed Forces Memorial, remembering those who lost their lives in conflicts since the Second World War. Watching the Queen walk along a line of ex-service personnel who had fought in every war from Korea to Afghanistan, I was struck by the thought that there is no one in British public life whose presence at an event could be equally meaningful to an 80 year old veteran as well as one in their 20s.
Obviously this is a product of the record-breaking longevity of her reign. Very few of us alive today can recall anyone else sitting on the British throne. That fact alone is what makes the notion of a King Charles III so strange and unfamiliar.
As a child, I had a great aunt who lived around the corner from us. Aunt Hannah was born in 1887 and lived in an upstairs flat that was lit by gaslight. She cooked on a coal-fired range and had neither tv nor telephone. Her only real concession to modernity was the fact that she would walk the two streets to our house to watch Sunday Night at the London Palladium. Like the Queen, she represented a living link with the past, a sense that all the things that had happened in her life could be summoned into the room by her memories. She died in 1972. By the time Elizabeth II was crowned, Aunt Hannah had lived through the reigns of six different monarchs in her 66 years. I’ve managed to rack up almost as many years without witnessing a single coronation.
For people around my age, there is another dimension that gives this moment in our history a poignancy that defies the rational concerns about crown and constitution.
Like the Queen, my parents were born in the 1920s and their formative years were shaped by the Second World War. Her father, George VI, had been Emperor of India and as a child had sat on the knee of Queen Victoria. Yet Elizabeth II represented a break with the Victorian idea of monarchy and empire. Her coronation in 1953 held the promise of a new beginning, of a world without colonies where the state supported each citizen from the cradle to the grave.
My parents were married that same year and, as part of that Elizabethan cohort, they aged along with the Queen, the great markers in their lives falling in the same span of years. They were in uniform together, they met their partners together, had children and later grandchildren together. With both my parents gone, the Queen endured as a reminder of who they were and who they became. She was their last representative, still visible in the life of our nation.
So when they bury her next week, I too will mourn - not so much for the passing of a monarch, but for the passing of a generation.
My father was born the same year as the Queen and my mother in the 30s. Perhaps as BB says, it's the passing of a generation that's so emotional, not so much about the queen specifically but anxiety about what lies ahead.

kv

#98 Post by kv » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:23 pm

I totally agree...it's the dying of the gen

thoreau

#99 Post by thoreau » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:26 am

Damn, rest well, DH.

Not sure how many had noticed him the last couple of years, but he had been looking really, really ill.

https://pitchfork.com/news/d-h-peligro- ... ies-at-63/

kv

#100 Post by kv » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:51 am

awww fuck...hadn't heard...damn