off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Juana

Re: hosting

#21 Post by Juana » Wed May 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Not sure about xferring the site but I'm down to pitch in again as well

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Wed May 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Creep, don't cancel it. This is fixable, and it should be EASILY fixable. Something is going wrong, but it's hard for me to tell exactly what from your description -- though I have a few ideas.

While you have the new server, you could try moving the board manually, yourself. There are instructions for how to switch hosts here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/

I have a feeling what probably happened is that your PHPBB installation lost file-editing permissions on the new server so it's doing weird things when it tries to access the database. And the Hostgator people may not realize that this needs to be done -- they aren't necessarily experts on PHPBB.

So, I think you can either try explaining what a PHPBB board is, and what's not working, to the Hostgator folks and see if they can walk you through a fix, or you could try following the steps at the link above. It should be fairly straightforward.

Just make sure you save the database backup file from your old host somewhere safe first.

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Wed May 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Hype wrote:Creep, don't cancel it. This is fixable, and it should be EASILY fixable. Something is going wrong, but it's hard for me to tell exactly what from your description -- though I have a few ideas.

While you have the new server, you could try moving the board manually, yourself. There are instructions for how to switch hosts here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/

I have a feeling what probably happened is that your PHPBB installation lost file-editing permissions on the new server so it's doing weird things when it tries to access the database. And the Hostgator people may not realize that this needs to be done -- they aren't necessarily experts on PHPBB.

So, I think you can either try explaining what a PHPBB board is, and what's not working, to the Hostgator folks and see if they can walk you through a fix, or you could try following the steps at the link above. It should be fairly straightforward.

Just make sure you save the database backup file from your old host somewhere safe first.
:lol: You have no idea how done I am with this. I downgraded my hosting at the other site so it's about $90 a year. I can live with that.

thanks for your help though.

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Wed May 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Thank you for your service. :bday: :lol:

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Thu May 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks for all your effort, creep!