What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Turncoat

Re: What's annoying you today?

#126 Post by Turncoat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:15 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm so annoyed with how Skiddles the bird has taken over my life and stressed me out. An example is when I uncover him in the mornings I count the hours until can cover him again. I am thankful that it gets dark before 8pm.

I wore earplugs again today too.

My 3 days off were ruined by this bird. :mad:
I have to wear my drumming headphones to make my morning coffee. I fucking hate birds, goddamn it.

and I'm happy with the weather... this is nice... put on a hoodie... take it off... no big whoop... naked sweating and frostbite suck...

Artemis

#127 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Turncoat wrote: I have to wear my drumming headphones to make my morning coffee. I fucking hate birds, goddamn it.
i hear ya...

Artemis

#128 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm having trouble getting the bird back in his cage. I think I'm going to have to throw a towel on him. I've tried luring him with delicious pieces of apple and an almond but he's too smart to fall for it. :mad:

Turncoat

#129 Post by Turncoat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm having trouble getting the bird back in his cage. I think I'm going to have to throw a towel on him. I've tried luring him with delicious pieces of apple and an almond but he's too smart to fall for it. :mad:
Question: Why would you take it out? :essence:

Artemis

#130 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:04 pm

Turncoat wrote:
Artemis wrote:I'm having trouble getting the bird back in his cage. I think I'm going to have to throw a towel on him. I've tried luring him with delicious pieces of apple and an almond but he's too smart to fall for it. :mad:
they are very social birds and require attention and time out of the cage. they're quite playful and affectionate. mainly, i let him out because he is much quieter.

Jasper

#131 Post by Jasper » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm so annoyed with how Skiddles the bird has taken over my life and stressed me out. An example is when I uncover him in the mornings I count the hours until I can cover him again. I am thankful that it gets dark before 8pm.

Lemme tell you somethin' - I have a chipmunk. His name is Mister Chippy. He eats delicious almonds, walnuts, grapes, blueberries and raisins...right out of my hand. He likes to come and find me when he wants a snack, and he runs in circles around my feet and looks up at me like I'm a gigantic Santa Claus. He's so fast it's crazy. He does a lot of goofy, highly comedic things that entertain me. The best thing about him is that he lives in a hole in the ground. I tamed him, but not to the point of total dependence. If I go away, he can feed himself. He likes to eat bark and worms and bird eggs and all sorts of crazy shit anyways. Chipmunks are omnivores. Chipmunk homes are great; they have very clean bedrooms, and they build emergency exits. Down in the basement there's a big pantry, and also a latrine that's sealed off with leftover nut shells and such. It's perfect. They sleep most of the winter, so you don't have to go out in four feet of snow and howling winds to feed them.

A lot of chipmunks are lame and skittish, but if you can find a cool one, they are the perfect pet.
Turncoat wrote:
Why would you get an animal just to keep it locked in a tiny cage like a fucking P.O.W.?

Artemis

#132 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Jasper wrote:
Artemis wrote:I'm so annoyed with how Skiddles the bird has taken over my life and stressed me out. An example is when I uncover him in the mornings I count the hours until I can cover him again. I am thankful that it gets dark before 8pm.

Lemme tell you somethin' - I have a chipmunk. His name is Mister Chippy. He eats delicious almonds, walnuts, grapes, blueberries and raisins...right out of my hand. He likes to come and find me when he wants a snack, and he runs in circles around my feet and looks up at me like I'm a gigantic Santa Claus. He's so fast it's crazy. He does a lot of goofy, highly comedic things that entertain me. The best thing about him is that he lives in a hole in the ground. I tamed him, but not to the point of total dependence. If I go away, he can feed himself. He likes to eat bark and worms and bird eggs and all sorts of crazy shit anyways. Chipmunks are omnivores. Chipmunk homes are great; they have very clean bedrooms, and they build emergency exits. Down in the basement there's a big pantry, and also a latrine that's sealed off with leftover nut shells and such. It's perfect. They sleep most of the winter, so you don't have to go out in four feet of snow and howling winds to feed them.

A lot of chipmunks are lame and skittish, but if you can find a cool one, they are the perfect pet.
Truly, you have the ideal pet sitaution.The animal has the ideal human situation too. :cool:

I would love to meet Mister Chippy.He's the kind of chipmunk I'd enjoy eating toasted walnuts and drinking Scotch with in his subterranian lair. I bet he wears a silk smoking jacket too. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#133 Post by creep » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Jasper wrote:His name is Mister Chippy.
:lolol: :jasper:

Artemis

#134 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 pm

creep wrote:
:slap: I think it's charming.

creep
Site Admin

#135 Post by creep » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:
that's the worst pet name i have ever heard

that's like naming your cat "ms. meows" or your dog "mr. doggy"

Turncoat

#136 Post by Turncoat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Jasper wrote:Why would you get an animal just to keep it locked in a tiny cage like a fucking P.O.W.?
she's babysitting... that's like saying you should have to take the kid for a check up if you're watching him for a night...

if someone asks you to watch a bird, they should just be glad it survives. Birds suck. :tiphat:

Artemis

#137 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:40 pm

creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:

no. the worst is the name of the bird i am looking after. his name is Skiddles like the candy. His partner was named Smarties. They are seperated now because Skiddles started attacking her when she got pregnant.

perkana

#138 Post by perkana » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:46 pm

creep wrote:
I actually thought that's a cute name :lol: :cool:

Jasper

#139 Post by Jasper » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:47 pm

creep wrote:
:lol: I knew that was coming. It's just my half-ass way of addressing outdoor animals. Squirrels are "squirrely," raccoons are "racky," and so on. It just slowly became his official name.
Artemis wrote:I would love to meet Mister Chippy.He's the kind of chipmunk I'd enjoy eating toasted walnuts and drinking Scotch with in his subterranian lair. I bet he wears a silk smoking jacket too. :lol:
He's pretty sophisticated. When I first fed him, I gave him almonds and walnuts that I had for myself. I tried to switch him to old bread ends and peanuts, but he'd take hesitant bites out of a peanut, pause, look at me, take another bite, then just open his arms and let it fall to the ground (he hangs out in a mulberry tree) like, "You insult me with this offering." It's pretty funny.

perkana

#140 Post by perkana » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:

no. the worst is the name of the bird i am looking after. his name is Skiddles like the candy. His partner was named Smarties. They are seperated now because Skiddles started attacking her when she got pregnant.
:lol: sorry, poor Smarties...one of my grandma's neighbours used to name his dogs after liquor, at one time, he had two dogs named Rum and Whiskey. And yes, the guy was an alcoholic
My chihuahua was named Ren. Talking about snacks, my dogs loved Haagen Dasz vanilla ice cream. We tried once to fool them with a cheaper vanilla ice cream, but they actually did this :jasper:

Artemis

#141 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:56 pm

perkana wrote:
Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:

:lol: sorry, poor Smarties...one of my grandma's neighbours used to name his dogs after liquor, at one time, he had two dogs named Rum and Whiskey. And yes, the guy was an alcoholic
My chihuahua was named Ren. Talking about snacks, my dogs loved Haagen Dasz vanilla ice cream. We tried once to fool them with a cheaper vanilla ice cream, but they actually did this :jasper:
Your dogs had good taste in ice cream. :lol:

Turncoat

#142 Post by Turncoat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:59 pm

One thing I like about a lot of cat owners is that they name their cats like smurfs. So, it's their characteristic. So, you'll get Raincat (a slow-witted cat), The Lie (I don't remember the story on that one), and all kinds of other crap.

I liked the idea, so I call one of my mom's dogs Nemesis Dog because we had an ongoing feud for over a decade... but now we're buddies. I still call him Nemesis.

Pure Method

#143 Post by Pure Method » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:00 pm

My cat is Oliver

Larry B.

#144 Post by Larry B. » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:20 pm

my dog answers to several nick names... the first one was 'Cat'.

Here's a list of all the names I have for my dog:

- Golem (that's his official name)
- Cat
- Horrible dog
- Old dog
- Dog face (from time to time I laugh my ass off at that one)

Artemis

#145 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Pure Method wrote:My cat is Oliver
This is a very dignified cat name. I like it. :thumb:

chaos

#146 Post by chaos » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:48 pm

I am fighting a cold and it's winning.

Artemis

#147 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm

chaos wrote:I am fighting a cold and it's winning.
That sucks. I usually get a cold around this time of year.

Pandemonium

#148 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Today started out about as bad as a day could possibly go wrong.

I had an early morning doctor's appointment for my annual physical. My plan was take my son to school which is about 25 miles down south in Lake Forest, drop him off and go to my physical. I woke up this morning, I was feeling a bit "off" - a little light headed, almost nauseous and shaky. Despite that, I got the boy ready for school and took a shower as I progressively felt worse. As soon as we left and we were on the freeway, I had a "prickly feeling" on the back of my neck and I knew something was really not right. By the time I got to school and dropped my son off, I honestly felt I was going to pass out and sat in the parking lot for a few minutes trying to pull it together and decide what I was going to do. At that point I seriously thought I was having a possible heart attack as I was getting worse and worse and I couldn't think of any other explanation.

I figured I could make it to the doctor's office a few more miles back up the 405 freeway It was stupid of me to drive, but I didn't want to get stuck on the freeway with my kid in the car and once I dropped him off, I just toughed it out to get to the doctor as I didn't want to deal with an ambulance to an ER if I could avoid it.

I got to the doctor right as the office was opening about an hour earlier than my appointment. The girl at the desk saw I was white as a sheet, sweating like a pig and shaking badly and I leaned close to her and said I thought I might be having a heart attack and I needed to lay down right away or I was going to pass out. They got me in a room, hooked up on a EKG and oxygen, everything was fine although my heart rate was pretty low (for me) at around 60bpm. She said it looked very much like I was having a vaso vagal episode despite the lack of typical triggers (usually exercise stress for people so disposed).

Now I had been diagnosed with this issue about a decade ago after a few incidents during heavy workouts with a trainer at a gym and one incident in a pit at a Nine Inch Nails show. Basically as it's explained to me, the vasovagal episode is due to some sort of short circuit in the nerve that leads to and controls the heart and blood pressure. For whatever reasons, when an episode is triggered, the person's heart rate drops as does the BP big time which basically makes the person feel like they're gonna die and they usually pass out for a short time at which point everything returns to normal. I had what is called a Tilt Table test where you basically are standing/laying on a long table angled so you're at about 45 degrees and usually this somehow provokes an episode if you have this problem. I took beta blockers for a couple years and it seemed to go away.

After about an hour, I was fine and good to go home. The rest of the day, I've was totally wiped out. I'll be seeing a cardiologist for further tests. Getting old sucks.

creep
Site Admin

#149 Post by creep » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:08 pm

maybe that's what i have? i passed out at a concert a couple years ago and passed out at oktoberfest last year. i had a bunch of tests but they couldn't find anything wrong with my heart. both similar situations...alcohol and crowds. anyone going to the jane's show on saturday i will probably be the guy laying on the ground. :banana:

perkana

#150 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 pm

yeah, I hate getting old, I have to take 4 meds during flu season just to prevent any asthma attack...I hadn't had any strong one until last year.
Creep, that's no good. Last time I was about to pass out/puke was during my tequila binge :lol: