What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
mockbee

Re: What's annoying you today?

#4061 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:37 pm

SR wrote:900 miles of straight driving. In San Antonio for the night on my way to Miami. Juana....should you see this, go spurs
Texas is the absolute worst for driving. I got caught in an ice storm, and had to drive 600 miles from big bend to austin that day , not fun, and thank god my car didn't end up teetering over a fence or in a tree or just plain upside down spinning in circles like some of the weirder situations we saw in middle of the night.

SR

#4062 Post by SR » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:08 am

mockbee wrote:
SR wrote:900 miles of straight driving. In San Antonio for the night on my way to Miami. Juana....should you see this, go spurs
Texas is the absolute worst for driving. I got caught in an ice storm, and had to drive 600 miles from big bend to austin that day , not fun, and thank god my car didn't end up teetering over a fence or in a tree or just plain upside down spinning in circles like some of the weirder situations we saw in middle of the night.
Yup, the worst.

Larry B.

#4063 Post by Larry B. » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:43 am

One of my gf's two dogs is being put down later today. He's a 15 year old Yorkshire, with like 3 teeth and yesterday he jumped off the stairs and broke one of his legs. We're pretty fucking sad.

And she's got another old dog who has cancer and who should be departing from this world in the near future as well.

:wavesad:

clickie

#4064 Post by clickie » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:15 am

You Chileans put your dogs down just because they break a bone?

creep
Site Admin

#4065 Post by creep » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:46 pm

the best night in tv has nothing on tonight except for john oliver.

next week:
game of thrones
veep

Larry B.

#4066 Post by Larry B. » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:50 pm

clickie wrote:You Chileans put your dogs down just because they break a bone?
It had to do with a lot of factors (age, proneness to infections, unbearable pain, infeasibility of the recovery of the bone, etc.)

However, when a different vet came today to put him down, he was outraged. The diagnosis from last night's vet couldn't have been further from the truth. Apparently, the dog isn't even going to need a cast. He's fine. He was more worried about the dog's teeth. Before the vet came, and early in the morning, me and my gf were a bit confused, because the dog was walking about in the backyard, a bit dozy and with his broken leg retracted, but showing no signs of pain whatsoever.

So it ended up being quite a good Sunday after all.

And you know what? Fuck you, Clickie.

crater

#4067 Post by crater » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Republican Senators Just Voted To Sell Off Your National Forests

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/rep ... 1696862450

:flip: to all Republicans, Tea Party goons and Conservative assholes

perkana

#4068 Post by perkana » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:42 am

The new Dove campaign....#Choosebeautiful :jasper:

But this helped a bit :lol:
Dove Real Beauty Asks Women to Choose Between ‘Beautiful’ and ‘Tiger’
http://reductress.com/post/dove-real-be ... and-tiger/
Dove is continuing its Real Beauty campaign with another moving experiment that shows how insecure the average woman really is, even in the face of certain death.
In a half-dozen malls in cities around the world, Dove took two identical, side-by-side entryways and marked one as “Beautiful” and the other one as, “This Door Has a Giant Fucking Tiger Behind It”. Surprisingly, women in all locations were hesitant to identify themselves as beautiful, despite the fact that the other door did have a real tiger behind it.
“I guess I don’t want people to think I’m full of myself,” screamed Berkeley undergrad Rebecca Green, as the tiger viciously tore off a hunk of flesh from her leg. “I mean, I’m okay, but I wouldn’t say I’m beautiful.”
The video shows women of all shapes, colors, and sizes considering the two signs before ultimately walking through the door marked, “This Door Has a Giant Fucking Tiger Behind It” and then being savagely eaten alive by a hungry big cat. Since it went online Tuesday, the grisly, touching video has nearly one million views.
“We wanted to show just how loath women are to call themselves beautiful,” says Dove spokesperson Linda Weiss. “Also, we had a ton of extra tigers lying around.”
The women who participated in the experiment gave vulnerable on-camera interviews while being eviscerated by one of earth’s most fearsome apex predators.
“I didn’t want to die. I just wanted to go use this gift card,” admits Sao Paolo resident Gisela da Silva, while she desperately tries to wrench her remaining arm from the tiger’s merciless bite, “but I guess us women are just programmed to not love ourselves.”
“When I walked through the door marked, ‘This Door Has a Giant Fucking Tiger Behind It’, I didn’t feel so good afterward,” says Yang Chao, a Shanghai-based art dealer, between bloodcurdling screams. “I wish I didn’t have to be this self-conscious about how I perceive myself.”
Twitter users around the globe are responding enthusiastically to the horrifying footage of real tigers eating real women, sharing the link with the hashtag #ChooseBeautifulNotTiger.
“Good God, won’t somebody help them?” says one comment. “Won’t somebody help these women feel beautiful?”

nausearockpig

#4069 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:07 am

Can't sleep. It's 3:06 and im about 4 hours away from getting up for work. Rad.

mockbee

#4070 Post by mockbee » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:10 am

nausearockpig wrote:Can't sleep. It's 3:06 and im about 4 hours away from getting up for work. Rad.
I would suggest surfing the net, listening to some punk music and have the telly on with high volume.

to late now, might as well enjoy it..........:noclue:

(drive safe though, sleep deprived driving has been linked to 100,000 crashes last year in the US, with +1,500 deaths..... :conf: )

nausearockpig

#4071 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:25 pm

mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Can't sleep. It's 3:06 and im about 4 hours away from getting up for work. Rad.
I would suggest surfing the net, listening to some punk music and have the telly on with high volume.

(drive safe though, sleep deprived driving has been linked to 100,000 crashes last year in the US, with +1,500 deaths..... :conf: )
Tried the net, and music.. couldn't watch tv as I woulda woken the missus....

No worries about the driving though, working from home today :thumb:

I feel like a fucking zombie though... :yikes:

mockbee

#4072 Post by mockbee » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
mockbee wrote:

Tried the net, and music.. couldn't watch tv as I woulda woken the missus....

No worries about the driving though, working from home today :thumb:

I feel like a fucking zombie though... :yikes:
I've been sleep deprived for the last couple months (4-5 hours sleep/night...I need 8) essentially working two jobs, one real and one dream job, and it's not good, not sustainable. I get irritable really easily, but also super, super excited. It's weird. And I can run 8 miles with no problems, also weird. Just amped up on adrenaline.

I need to employ some better sleep hygiene, but I am having fun....... :noclue:

nausearockpig

#4073 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:39 pm

far out man... take care of yourself :-)

mockbee

#4074 Post by mockbee » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:34 am

Use Tax
Line 95 – Use Tax. This is not a total line.
You may owe use tax if you make purchases from out of state retailers
(for example, purchases made by telephone, over the Internet, by mail, or
in person) where sales or use tax was not paid and you use those items
in California. If you have questions about whether a purchase is taxable,
go to the State Board of Equalization’s website at
boe.ca.gov
, or call their
Customer Service Center at 1.800.400.7115 (TTY) 711 (for hearing and
speech disabilities.)
Some taxpayers are required to report business purchases subject to use tax
directly to the State Board of Equalization. However, they may report certain
personal purchases subject to use tax on the FTB income tax return.
You may not report use tax for business purposes on your income tax return
if you:

Have or are required to have a California seller’s permit.

Are not required to hold a California seller’s permit, but receive at least
$100,000 in gross receipts.

Are otherwise required to be registered with the State Board of
Equalization for sales or use tax purposes.
What the hell is this?!

So by purchasing some crappy figurines in a foreign country that I didn't pay tax on, that passed customs, now I owe taxes on it??? Because the object is in now located in California? I suppose I could go the deduction route, but that's a minefield for getting audited. I don't remember every single item I bought online or out of state without CA tax?..............! :neutral: :lol:

Well, I guess it's a good shake-down, hope they use my $39 wisely....... :eyes:

Pandemonium

#4075 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:38 pm

mockbee wrote: What the hell is this?!

So by purchasing some crappy figurines in a foreign country that I didn't pay tax on, that passed customs, now I owe taxes on it??? Because the object is in now located in California? I suppose I could go the deduction route, but that's a minefield for getting audited. I don't remember every single item I bought online or out of state without CA tax?..............! :neutral: :lol:

Well, I guess it's a good shake-down, hope they use my $39 wisely....... :eyes:
How does the IRS even track this for say, small sub-$100 items besides relying on taxpayers listing the purchase(s) on the tax form? It's like, I bought a few hundred bucks worth of untaxed cds, blu-rays and other sundry crap from sellers in other countries on eBay and Amazon uk, Japan, Germany, etc last year.... what's the incentive to list that on my 1040?

creep
Site Admin

#4076 Post by creep » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:44 pm

i didn't think that anyone actually ever claimed that. no one is that honest are they? if you did claim that it would probably set off red flags everywhere and you would get audited because they would never believe that anyone would ever do that.

how many people in california would buy all of their stuff through amazon before they were forced to start charging sales tax? no one claimed that shit on their taxes.

mockbee

#4077 Post by mockbee » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:39 am

creep wrote:i didn't think that anyone actually ever claimed that. no one is that honest are they? if you did claim that it would probably set off red flags everywhere and you would get audited because they would never believe that anyone would ever do that.

how many people in california would buy all of their stuff through amazon before they were forced to start charging sales tax? no one claimed that shit on their taxes.
Well, great, I claimed it because it looked pretty cut and dry on the 540 that you had to fill something in, and I thought saying -0- would be suspicious. Nope, never bought a thing on E-Bay, or amazon, or anything online for that matter, AND never received a gift from someone from out of state, (yup....gifts, and anything you "bartered" or "traded" for) However, you can also go another route and say you submitted your "use tax" claim with the Board of Equalization independently of the your state taxes. Whatever, I am sure there are millions of people all over the map on this one.

I'm not concerned, but you are right creep. Once you start trying to "follow the rules" you are beginning down a path of ridiculousness and headaches. :bored:

creep
Site Admin

#4078 Post by creep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:23 am

mockbee wrote: Nope, never bought a thing on E-Bay, or amazon, or anything online for that matter
that's pretty incredible for someone that has internet access.

i just looked at my amazon account and i placed 55 orders in 2014 so i average about 1 order a week. i pay for the free two day shipping and a lot of stuff arrives overnight if it comes out of the local warehouse. ebay i probably use about once a month. :noclue:

Artemis

#4079 Post by Artemis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:50 am

creep wrote:
mockbee wrote: Nope, never bought a thing on E-Bay, or amazon, or anything online for that matter
Other than concert tickets, which I request to be mailed because I want the actual ticket, I've never bought anything online either.
I've booked air and hotels but no actual goods like winter boots or a coffee maker.

mockbee

#4080 Post by mockbee » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:14 am

creep wrote:

i just looked at my amazon account and i placed 55 orders in 2014 so i average about 1 order a week. i pay for the free two day shipping and a lot of stuff arrives overnight if it comes out of the local warehouse. ebay i probably use about once a month. :noclue:

Oh..........I was being facetious. :neutral: :lol:

I've bought a shit ton online. I remember the first time I put my credit card number online, it was 1996, there was that Kiss The Stone records out of Italy or something and they were selling Last Fixx and some other lollapalooza janes boot...oh, Abdication...and I wanted them, really, really, really badly. I didn't know anybody with any boots and had only a shitty tape copy of Down in the Flames. So I closed my eyes, typed in my numbers and pressed send....... I figured, maybe italy will really fuck with my credit card, but all the headaches and cancelling and all that would be worth it.......just for a chance to get those boots on CD.

When they arrived about a month and a half later, I let out a howling scream, I was so excited......... :rockon:

Some of the weirder things I have bought online THIS year: A box of (50 packets) Vigo Red Beans and Rice, (tired of it being discontinued and searching for it)..... (10) Scotch Brite dishwand refills.... a box of Classico Pesto Sauce (dito red beans).....A cheap chrome motorcycle engine guard from china (barely fit in the door of my apartment, huge piece of shit that doesn't fit right, had to throw away, not doing that again........ :lolol: .......I am sure there is other stuff just as fascinating.....just not thinking of it now.

creep
Site Admin

#4081 Post by creep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:22 am

mockbee wrote:
creep wrote:

Oh..........I was being facetious. :neutral: :lol:
oh...oops

well i did find one in artemis which isn't too surprising since she seems to live more of an old fashioned life with no cell phone, car or tv (i think you might have a tv now?). i sort of envy that way of living.

Hype

#4082 Post by Hype » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:51 am

I think she has a cellphone now. But not having a car isn't old-fashioned in Toronto... you just don't need one. It's odd, because Toronto, like LA, is really spread out, and transit isn't that great. But I think it's just a different mentality. If you live in or near downtown Toronto, the subway/streetcars/cabs are good enough.

Artemis

#4083 Post by Artemis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:04 am

No cellphone. When I was in London last fall, my friend there arranged a phone for me to use during my trip. I finally learned how to text too. :lol:
Still no TV, I watch stuff on my computer.

Like Hype said, in Toronto you really don't need a car. I live midtown and am close to public transit- subway, buses, etc.
The building I worked in before was connected to the subway; I didn't even have to walk outisde. My job before that was right downtown about 100 metres from the subway station. If I drove I would have to pay fr parking and deal with nightmare traffic. I think T.O. is in the top 10 worst traffic cities in North America.

Hype

#4084 Post by Hype » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:09 am

The Toronto stretch of the 401 is North America's busiest highway by volume -- busier than the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10). I've been driving 300 km (up, and then 300 more back) once a week up to my dept for the past two years, which, if I drove the speed limit should take about 3 hours. But the 70 km span of the 401 from one side of Toronto to the other, during Rush hour, is so insane that it can take an hour and a half to two hours to get through. The alternative is the 407 Express Toll Route, but to take that for the full 70 km during rush hour can cost upwards of $30. Then again, it means getting through Toronto in 30-40 minutes. :lol:

Here's a video of it:

Don't even get me started on the Gardiner, aka "The Highway that is Falling Apart".

nausearockpig

#4085 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:55 pm

creep wrote:

not everyone is rich like you Monty Burns..... maybe mockbee lives in a box with wifi... :lolol: