What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
kv

Re: What's annoying you today?

#5341 Post by kv » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:37 pm

good deal, stress levels returning to normal eh?

SR

#5342 Post by SR » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:27 am

thoreau wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:29 am
I'm sitting in a surgical center right now while my wife is having her foot repaired from 4 tendon and ligament tears.

While lucky we haven't had to deal with that much surgery this far into life, I'm always low-key scared shitless everytime she's fully put under.

Part of it is due to her having emergency surgery when we were relatively early into our relationship back in high school. They tried to bring her out of anesthesia but couldn't get her to start breathing, so they had to emergency resuscitate with me standing there. Obviously all turned out fine 21 years later, but it's always in the back of my mind.
Yes, good she's on the mend. May I ask....what the f was the injury? Next, was she under a general anesthetic while you were in the room 21 years ago? And finally, sweet you're with your 1st love (or close to your 1st). :tiphat:

thoreau

#5343 Post by thoreau » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:29 am

kv wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:37 pm
good deal, stress levels returning to normal eh?
Back to normal levels! Healthy balance of nursing and running interference with our six-year old to make sure he doesn't accidentally collide with her foot for at least the first week.

thoreau

#5344 Post by thoreau » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:16 am

SR wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:27 am
thoreau wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:29 am
I'm sitting in a surgical center right now while my wife is having her foot repaired from 4 tendon and ligament tears.

While lucky we haven't had to deal with that much surgery this far into life, I'm always low-key scared shitless everytime she's fully put under.

Part of it is due to her having emergency surgery when we were relatively early into our relationship back in high school. They tried to bring her out of anesthesia but couldn't get her to start breathing, so they had to emergency resuscitate with me standing there. Obviously all turned out fine 21 years later, but it's always in the back of my mind.
Yes, good she's on the mend. May I ask....what the f was the injury? Next, was she under a general anesthetic while you were in the room 21 years ago? And finally, sweet you're with your 1st love (or close to your 1st). :tiphat:
Thanks much!

To bring everything together, first injury was 21 years ago (this month actually!). She was in a high school theater production of The Crucible, and due to shitty set construction safety and set management, she fell off the top of a twelve foot riser head first. Luckily no head injury, but she shattered her left arm and right ankle.

She was under full general anesthesia during surgery to fix those injuries. Her mom and I got brought into the recovery room as they were bringing her out of anesthesia, and she let out this long moan which was followed by silence. The nurse realized she had stopped breathing, so they starting rubbing and moving her to wake up and start breathing, if memory serves correct. That was successful, so it went into full recesitating to get her to breath again. It was scary as shit.

I was in my first semester of college and ended up dropping it to nurse her so her mom was still able to work (single income at that point), because she was pretty immobilized with both injuries having the full fixator setup.

So since then, she's always favored her left foot as a result. She got back into theater productions full bore in 2019 after fully giving it up about 15 years ago, which has been awesome. About a year ago, she had a stage dancing injury where she fell and rolled her left ankle really bad. She ended up tearing two ligaments and almost fully tore her Brevis tendon (outside of her foot). She tried to rehab it for the last year without surgery, but it became obvious she had to have it fully repaired since the next injury phase was a full tendon rupture. So, fast forward to yesterday's surgery, she's on the mend again.

Thanks, SR. I just got really really lucky with my first long-term relationship way back when. :bigrin:

SR

#5345 Post by SR » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:24 pm

Yeah, it sounded like a pretty severe injury. Growing up my dad would never let anyone get a general in the dentist chair. He said they didn't have the capacity to bring you out should anything go south.

Good on all. And very cool she's back on stage

thoreau

#5346 Post by thoreau » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:36 am

Yikes, good rule of thumb to go by!

JessieJim

#5347 Post by JessieJim » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:12 pm

Huge traffic jams due to the holidays are wildly annoying

Tyler Durden

#5348 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:04 pm

People who act like their pets are their children or as if they are parents because they own a pet. Or when they compare the experience of owning a pet to raising a child.

Artemis

#5349 Post by Artemis » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:36 am

This is a general annoyance not just today...

So, for the last week I've had tradespeople in doing a bathroom renovation and anytime I ask a question they get annoyed and dismiss me by saying, "Don't vorry".

All the guys are Serbian and speak decent English. I understand Serbian -which they don't know- but have chosen to communicate in English only. Before the tile guys started I asked them to explain their process and one of the guys, Milan, said ,"Process? My Process is to poot tiles!" I answered that I knew that but I wanted to know the steps. Then in a condescending tone he explained it and made a gesture at his head to suggest, 'Duh, dummy!". I then reminded him that I'm one the one paying and have every right to ask questions. When someone tells me not to "vorry" all the time, I "vorry".

I think the stereotype about Serbian men being hotheads is true. I guess they are not used to women questioning them. :lol:

Hype

#5350 Post by Hype » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:01 am

Artemis wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:36 am

So, for the last week I've had tradespeople in doing a bathroom renovation and anytime I ask a question they get annoyed and dismiss me by saying, "Don't vorry".

All the guys are Serbian and speak decent English. I understand Serbian -which they don't know- but have chosen to communicate in English only. Before the tile guys started I asked them to explain their process and one of the guys, Milan, said ,"Process? My Process is to poot tiles!" I answered that I knew that but I wanted to know the steps. Then in a condescending tone he explained it and made a gesture at his head to suggest, 'Duh, dummy!". I then reminded him that I'm one the one paying and have every right to ask questions. When someone tells me not to "vorry" all the time, I "vorry".

I think the stereotype about Serbian men being hotheads is true. I guess they are not used to women questioning them. :lol:
You could really mess with them by putting up pictures of NATO jet fighters all over the house... :wiggle:

Seriously though, that sucks. And I know exactly what you mean about the stereotype.

We've been trying to get a floor done, and it took three tries to get someone to actually get back to us because of how crazy it's been since the pandemic. But finally we've got a guy who is clearly a professional, and actually cares about how he's perceived by his customers. It's ... frankly kind of astonishing. Every step has been timely, accomodating, etc... Then again, he charges a bit more than the local handimen/women. :noclue:

We've got some tiles that need to be fixed at some point, too... When that happens, I'll report back on whether my Serbian is dismissive of my questions. :bday:

Artemis

#5351 Post by Artemis » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:38 am

Hype wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:01 am
Artemis wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:36 am

You could really mess with them by putting up pictures of NATO jet fighters all over the house... :wiggle:

Seriously though, that sucks. And I know exactly what you mean about the stereotype.

We've been trying to get a floor done, and it took three tries to get someone to actually get back to us because of how crazy it's been since the pandemic. But finally we've got a guy who is clearly a professional, and actually cares about how he's perceived by his customers. It's ... frankly kind of astonishing. Every step has been timely, accomodating, etc... Then again, he charges a bit more than the local handimen/women. :noclue:

We've got some tiles that need to be fixed at some point, too... When that happens, I'll report back on whether my Serbian is dismissive of my questions. :bday:
Haha...that reminded me of the Bosnian curse on Serbs during the war, "May your house be live on CNN"

Things are better now. I had a talk with the main guy. I explained that my questions weren't intended to insult the capabilities of his crew only to understand what was going on. So now, my nickname is "Don't Vorry". :lol:

Good luck with your repairs. I underestimated response times from people. From the initial call to callback, then schedule meeting, get quotes,..etc. You've probably noticed that the price of everything has really gone up.

Hype

#5352 Post by Hype » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:07 pm

The dude already bought the flooring and dropped it off here and said he can fit us in pretty much whenever we're ready because it's a small job, so they'll be able to do it in a morning. :banana:

Hopefully at the end of next week if I can manage to find space and time to move all the small shit. :confused:

Glad to hear the Serbs got the message. :hehe:

crater

#5353 Post by crater » Wed May 31, 2023 9:39 am

I still have a CD player in my truck. Two days ago I grabbed the Ritual CD case but when I opened it up this is what I saw inside.

RIP

I'm not sure how it happened or even how long ago as it has been easily over a year since I last wanted to listen to this CD and sure I couldn't listen to No One's Leaving, Obvious and Of Course all the way through because the CD was scratched all to hell, but I'm still bummed out about it.

guysmiley

#5354 Post by guysmiley » Wed May 31, 2023 10:56 pm

My favorite diy little venue closedown. Gentrification is a bitch and ruins arts.

thoreau

#5355 Post by thoreau » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:12 am

guysmiley wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:56 pm
My favorite diy little venue closedown. Gentrification is a bitch and ruins arts.
Sorry to hear that, Guy. I've had the same thing happen here over the last 5 years, slowly one by one

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5356 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:54 pm

crater wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:39 am
I still have a CD player in my truck. Two days ago I grabbed the Ritual CD case but when I opened it up this is what I saw inside.

RIP

I'm not sure how it happened or even how long ago as it has been easily over a year since I last wanted to listen to this CD and sure I couldn't listen to No One's Leaving, Obvious and Of Course all the way through because the CD was scratched all to hell, but I'm still bummed out about it.
Man. This brings back memories. I haven’t played a CD in nearly 20 years now, so it’s been a long time since I’ve seen that. There was never a time I put that CD in and didn’t feel at least a little bit of exhilaration. I know it’s cliche to say, but that disc both changed and maybe saved my life. For me, it’s the greatest album of all time.

clickie

#5357 Post by clickie » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:36 pm

That lasted a long time time if you bought it when it first came out. I'm from the old school I still have Nothing's Shocking on cassette tape. It's in my back pocket right now.

kv

#5358 Post by kv » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:20 pm

me and a buddy threw a party in big bear in the late 80's...I put on Jane's addiction xxx..on cassette I'm gonna say 98% of those people had never heard Jane's yet....xxx was the lone thing stolen from that party...someone's mind was blown...I still miss it...

clickie

#5359 Post by clickie » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:14 am

I never took good care of my cd's. I know I bought ritual at least 4 times starting with the tape first. The way I discovered Jane's I heard them on the college a.m. radio station in my car. Shortly after that at a party someone just handed me a blank tape of their first album. It was an all black tape with Jane's Addiction written on it with one of those silver pens so it really grabbed my attention. I played the heck out that tape for a few years.

clickie

#5360 Post by clickie » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:29 am

In my lifetime I bought hundred of cd's, I don't have a single one to show for it. It doesn't really matter now, just go online and play what you want to hear.

crater

#5361 Post by crater » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:38 pm

clickie wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:36 pm
That lasted a long time time if you bought it when it first came out. I'm from the old school I still have Nothing's Shocking on cassette tape. It's in my back pocket right now.
I bought the tapes first, but that broken Ritual CD was the second one I owned. After going on a snowboarding trip to Lake Tahoe with some friends and some friends of theirs that I didn't know well, I either forgot the first CD somewhere in Lake Tahoe or one of the people I didn't know well stole it. So that broken one was the replacement that I bought before I graduated high school in 1992 :oldtimer:

Artemis

#5362 Post by Artemis » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:17 am

The air quality is really bad due to forest fires in Quebec and Ontario. It's really hazy and smells like smoke in the city. I can taste it in my throat. 😷

thoreau

#5363 Post by thoreau » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:32 am

Artemis wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:17 am
The air quality is really bad due to forest fires in Quebec and Ontario. It's really hazy and smells like smoke in the city. I can taste it in my throat. 😷
Blech...Is it overtaking indoor air quality as well? I've never been really really close to bad forest fires.

Artemis

#5364 Post by Artemis » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:14 pm

thoreau wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:32 am
Artemis wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:17 am
Blech...Is it overtaking indoor air quality as well? I've never been really really close to bad forest fires.
The air quality inside is okay; I kept the windows closed all day today. Thankfully, it's not hot this week like it was last week. I had to go out to do a few errands this morning and it was bad. I got a bit of a headache and my eyes felt irritated. I read that the smoke spread to NYC and some other US cities too.

Artemis

#5365 Post by Artemis » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:06 pm

2nd time this week that I've seen a coyote during the day!
FB_IMG_1687978884386.jpg
FB_IMG_1687978884386.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 7706 times