What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
mockbee

Re: What's annoying you today?

#4251 Post by mockbee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:30 am

I don't know if this in annoying me today, but it is certainly on my mind. I guess I am most annoyed at peoples complete disregard for decency and complete disengagement from the concept of empathy.

Yesterday I was minding my own business cruising home down the 101 highway on my motorcycle when out of nowhere this car changes lanes real quickly slamming into me. Myself and my bike went straight down and sparks were flying as I was careening down the highway at 40 mph on the ground, luckily not stuck to my bike. After a blur I find myself at rest and by instinct I jump up to see if I am okay and to jump out of the way if other cars were behind me. The car is pretty much on top of the motorcycle so she can't move without backing up. I go over to her window and it's this young millennial girl in shock. I ask her to back up so I can lift up the bike and to put on her hazards and she does. I lift up my bike okay, thankful, because I knew she wouldn't be strong enough to help me, and didn't want to have to stop someone on the highway. I had no idea why I was okay and was thinking I must just be in shock. But I have a leg and a hip today because of this engine guard and my wife's helmet that I was storing on the back which created a pocket for my leg:

My only injuries are a lightly bruised hip and elbow with road rash.

So I have to ask the girl if she is okay because she is shaking and stunned (I would be to if I just slammed into someone and they were careening down the highway in front of me in a barrage of sparks) We exchange info and I again assess the bike and myself in the middle of the highway and am able to ride off. I am going to have the bike checked out by a mechanic and probably just send her the bill to see if she will help on the repairs to the guard, and anything else damaged. I hate insurance and am actually glad a cop never came. We were there for probably 15 minutes in the middle of the highway. I have found cops to be of little use.

My annoyance is in all the impatient people trying to squeeze by, honking for me to get out of the way as I am trying to asses the situation. So let that be a lesson, in times of crises most people are fucking morons just looking out for number 1 trying to get home. You pretty much just got yourself, and if you are very lucky a compassionate soul or two, when true shit hits the fan.

Also, something that I have been repeating to myself, is that each one of us with two legs and the ability to walk around upright, every day is a gift. Every. Single. Day. There are no guarantees in this life.

Oh, I did some google search on the very attractive chick who hit me, and she is a social media consultant/yoga instructor originally from Suffolk County, NY. I am so glad it was her and not some asshole in a Porche, though, that would be a good way to get a cool 250K.......whatever.

Oh, sorry about those wasps Art, they are pesky, my wife hates them!

Artemis

#4252 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:22 am

Jesus Christ, Mockbee! :yikes: :gh:
I'm glad you are okay to tell about what happened to you. Sounds like you escaped that with minor injuries. ( My little wasp annoyance is nothing...jeeze. :lol: )
Sadly, some people are real assholes and can't see beyond themselves and their own needs.

mockbee

#4253 Post by mockbee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:35 am

Artemis wrote:Jesus Christ, Mockbee! :yikes: :gh:
I'm glad you are okay to tell about what happened to you. Sounds like you escaped that with minor injuries. ( My little wasp annoyance is nothing...jeeze. :lol: )
Sadly, some people are real assholes and can't see beyond themselves and their own needs.
Thanks Artemis.

:wave: :gh:

My wife would seriously probably choose a motorcycle accident over a bad encounter with a wasp if she knew she would be okay either way...... :lol:

Artemis

#4254 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:56 pm

mockbee wrote:

My wife would seriously probably choose a motorcycle accident over a bad encounter with a wasp if she knew she would be okay either way...... :lol:
Sounds like she and I have the same irrational fear of wasps! :lol:
One time I was at a friend's cottage and jumped off the dock fully clothed because a couple of wasps were flying around me. Sometimes it can be embarrassing but I can't help myself- I am really scared of them. Probably because I've never been stung and worry that I'll be one of those people who is deathly allergic.

creep
Site Admin

#4255 Post by creep » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:02 pm

mockbee wrote:I don't know if this in annoying me today, but it is certainly on my mind. I guess I am most annoyed at peoples complete disregard for decency and complete disengagement from the concept of empathy.

Yesterday I was minding my own business cruising home down the 101 highway on my motorcycle when out of nowhere this car changes lanes real quickly slamming into me. Myself and my bike went straight down and sparks were flying as I was careening down the highway at 40 mph on the ground, luckily not stuck to my bike. After a blur I find myself at rest and by instinct I jump up to see if I am okay and to jump out of the way if other cars were behind me. The car is pretty much on top of the motorcycle so she can't move without backing up. I go over to her window and it's this young millennial girl in shock. I ask her to back up so I can lift up the bike and to put on her hazards and she does. I lift up my bike okay, thankful, because I knew she wouldn't be strong enough to help me, and didn't want to have to stop someone on the highway. I had no idea why I was okay and was thinking I must just be in shock. But I have a leg and a hip today because of this engine guard and my wife's helmet that I was storing on the back which created a pocket for my leg:

My only injuries are a lightly bruised hip and elbow with road rash.

So I have to ask the girl if she is okay because she is shaking and stunned (I would be to if I just slammed into someone and they were careening down the highway in front of me in a barrage of sparks) We exchange info and I again assess the bike and myself in the middle of the highway and am able to ride off. I am going to have the bike checked out by a mechanic and probably just send her the bill to see if she will help on the repairs to the guard, and anything else damaged. I hate insurance and am actually glad a cop never came. We were there for probably 15 minutes in the middle of the highway. I have found cops to be of little use.

My annoyance is in all the impatient people trying to squeeze by, honking for me to get out of the way as I am trying to asses the situation. So let that be a lesson, in times of crises most people are fucking morons just looking out for number 1 trying to get home. You pretty much just got yourself, and if you are very lucky a compassionate soul or two, when true shit hits the fan.

Also, something that I have been repeating to myself, is that each one of us with two legs and the ability to walk around upright, every day is a gift. Every. Single. Day. There are no guarantees in this life.

Oh, I did some google search on the very attractive chick who hit me, and she is a social media consultant/yoga instructor originally from Suffolk County, NY. I am so glad it was her and not some asshole in a Porche, though, that would be a good way to get a cool 250K.......whatever.

Oh, sorry about those wasps Art, they are pesky, my wife hates them!
that's pretty crazy. you are lucky. as much as you don't trust cops it probably would have been a good idea to have a police report. chp's are usually not that bad. now it is your word against hers. you should at least get a couple estimates and deal with her insurance and fix it yourself and keep the difference. :noclue:

mockbee

#4256 Post by mockbee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:22 pm

creep wrote: that's pretty crazy. you are lucky. as much as you don't trust cops it probably would have been a good idea to have a police report. chp's are usually not that bad. now it is your word against hers. you should at least get a couple estimates and deal with her insurance and fix it yourself and keep the difference. :noclue:
No doubt I am very, very lucky. But what makes me feel better is that we are all lucky in a way. We all play this game on the road with milliseconds to spare between an uneventful commute and disaster, depending on all people making prudent choices. I feel I am cautious, I could be more so for sure.

It's not that I don't trust CHPs, it was just weird that none had shown up after 10-15 minutes (it was probably closer to 10) I didn't feel like waiting around on the side of 101, I would have if I didn't feel well for sure. and of course if the bike didn't check out. The only risk was no help with repairing the bike. My auto insurance definitely doesn't cover health, I suppose hers could, but I've been down that road as well and its an endless paper trail nightmare.

If the person was an asshole, I would have got a report for sure.

nausearockpig

#4257 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Fuck dude, glad ur mostly ok

Matz

#4258 Post by Matz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:59 am

my local record store is closing and 12 other stores in the same chain of stores too. Pretty sad. Of course I haven't really spent a nickle there for the past 10 years so I havent exactly been helping them much....still, I'm gonna miss it

sinep

#4259 Post by sinep » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:55 am

mockbee wrote:If anyone is able to drill a 40' hole in the ground for less than 10K, please let me know.....

ty

:banghead:
what's the hole for?

On Monday I was awarded a contract for a deep-core project that I'll perform in October. The metropolitan water district has to strengthen two caissons on a river over-crossing that are failing. In each caisson we're going to core 32 ea 44' deep 4" dia. holes that the contractor will place rebar in and pressure grout.

I think I was around $3,500 per core.

I don't deal with auguring soil though. 10k seems excessive.

mockbee

#4260 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 am

sinep wrote:
mockbee wrote:If anyone is able to drill a 40' hole in the ground for less than 10K, please let me know.....

ty

:banghead:
what's the hole for?

On Monday I was awarded a contract for a deep-core project that I'll perform in October. The metropolitan water district has to strengthen two caissons on a river over-crossing that are failing. In each caisson we're going to core 32 ea 44' deep 4" dia. holes that the contractor will place rebar in and pressure grout.

I think I was around $3,500 per core.

I don't deal with auguring soil though. 10k seems excessive.

It's a test pit to find bedrock and fee includes field reconnaissance, geologic cross section, lab analysis, design recommendations and report. I think the pit itself subcontracted out at $3,800 for one hole, so not that far off.

Price is a bit high, but probably won't find much better, geotechs are slammed, I can wait until the spring though, so that helps, especially if the economy cools.
:noclue:

Angry Canine

#4261 Post by Angry Canine » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Being in the hospital again.

I'm all filled up with fluid, from my failing liver, Getting my abdomen tapped, and drained tomorrow. Big needle, right in my side. Not sure why it's all filled up, I haven't needed to be drained in over a year. Now I've been all puffed up in my belly, and my legs and feet are swelled. I've went from 166lbs to 196 in under 3 weeks, while hardly eating, so that's nearly 30lbs of toxins that my liver wasn't able to deal with. Don't know if I will be back to how it has been the last year+, or if I've moved to the next stage of dying from this.

On the bright side of things, there's Internet inb the hospital room here now, that's new since my last stay.

nausearockpig

#4262 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:07 pm

fuck man that sounds awful. best wishes.

Angry Canine

#4263 Post by Angry Canine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:43 am

They drained 5.1 litres. I don't look like I'm pregnant anymore. And there's room for my lungs to expand, and for food.

And getting that huge needle stuck through your abdominal wall is no less nerve wracking and scary after you've already had it done several times. :yikes:

mockbee

#4264 Post by mockbee » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:03 am

Hope you're feeling better and can get out of there soon. :thumb:

I do not like hospitals in the slightest and have had my fair share of visits. :conf:

Jasper

#4265 Post by Jasper » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Angry Canine wrote:They drained 5.1 litres. I don't look like I'm pregnant anymore. And there's room for my lungs to expand, and for food.

And getting that huge needle stuck through your abdominal wall is no less nerve wracking and scary after you've already had it done several times. :yikes:
I hope you have a speedy recovery, or otherwise reach the highest level of improvement possible given your circumstances. I'm wondering how you've found yourself with a liver in such a precipitous state of decline. I don't want to assume the issue is related to alcohol and/or narcotics, because even if substance abuse is a statistically likely cause, it could be something else.

Angry Canine

#4266 Post by Angry Canine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Shit Goddamn. I just spent over an hour typing a thorough account of what led up to this situation. When I hit submit,it asked me to log in again, and the whole thing was lost.

Short answer, that really needs a lot more explanation is alcohol. Not long term, but a year of extremely heavy drinking, after nearly bleeding to death internally from an ulcer caused by Ibuprofen, I was drinking because I could no longer take anything over the counter for pain. The pain is from bulging discs, bone spurs, and arthritis, result of years of loading cargo planes understaffed with undermaintained rollers in the planes. The discs were result of one plane the last night I worked (Aug 8th 2012) and I've never stopped hurting since. Sometimes it is so bad that 6mm kidney stone is only a 7 on my 1-10 scale now, Even IV Morphine in the hospital only gets it down to a 2.

Jasper

#4267 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:44 am

Angry Canine wrote:Shit Goddamn. I just spent over an hour typing a thorough account of what led up to this situation. When I hit submit,it asked me to log in again, and the whole thing was lost.
I've been there.

Sounds like a shitty situation. I've got plenty of pain, believe me. I've also been unkind to my liver, though clearly I've not taken it quite so far as you have. I know alcohol helps with pain, but it exacts a serious toll. There are other ways to deal with pain, including . . . acceptance. There are various approaches involving diet, stretching, exercise, mediation, and so on. These things can help, even for the severely hobbled. It's best to embrace most of them and move to a lifestyle which puts a priority on treating your pain in a healthful way, while not causing more problems. That means every move you make, every single thing you eat, every action you take is weighed in terms of whether it will help or hurt, even in the smallest way. It also means spending time studying various ways to take care of yourself. I'm sure this sounds very preachy, but I'm not suggesting anything I don't do (except for the meditation, which I haven't done in a long time, though I know it helps).

Angry Canine

#4268 Post by Angry Canine » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:34 am

At this point my tolerance for pain is pretty unreal, from now years of that constant pain. Needles at the hospital hardly even register with me now, for instance. I was also rather abusive to my body with BMX riding through my teens and early 20's. My knees, ankles and wrists have been arthritic for 20+ years, One knee has occasionally outright failed to hold me up on seemingly random steps. The weight I've lost since I got sick, has eased the knee issues quite a bit. I was getting pretty badly overweight, even though my job was very intense exercise. When I got sick, I dropped from a maximum seen on a scale was 238lbs, which dropped to 160 in only about 2 months. I'm at about 10th grade weight, these last two years. That eased things up on knees and ankles, but didn't make any difference on my back.

If I'd have had insurance at the time of the back injury, it would have been properly dealt with,

My life has been a never ending what if, coulda, shoulda woulda. Nothing but enough bad luck to make someone paranoid, peppered with key decisions made wrong.

mockbee

#4269 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:59 pm

Tooo hooooot!

My head is throbbing and there is no breezes found. There are no fans, no AC, no nothing!

I can normally take the heat but this is just weird and unnatural. :confused:

Pandemonium

#4270 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:59 pm

mockbee wrote:Tooo hooooot!

My head is throbbing and there is no breezes found. There are no fans, no AC, no nothing!

I can normally take the heat but this is just weird and unnatural. :confused:
The last two days have been pretty insane with the heat plus the humidity here in SoCal. I'm right in the middle of having the exterior done on my house so I have to keep all windows, doors, etc shut tight. Up until yesterday, i could turn on the AC but they had to remove the unit this morning to get at the wall behind it. Normally I'd just go to a movie, mall or someplace cool but I can't drag my old Labrador around places like that and she can't swim at the beach or our pool with her current ear infection so we both switched off soaking in the cold bath much of the day. I think I took more showers today than I have the entire past week. The topper was we had a sudden downpour w/lightning at about 4pm with the temp at an even 100 degrees while the crew was scrambling to put plastic up on the exposed walls outside.

Pandemonium

#4271 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:15 am

Angry Canine wrote:At this point my tolerance for pain is pretty unreal, from now years of that constant pain. Needles at the hospital hardly even register with me now, for instance. I was also rather abusive to my body with BMX riding through my teens and early 20's. My knees, ankles and wrists have been arthritic for 20+ years, One knee has occasionally outright failed to hold me up on seemingly random steps. The weight I've lost since I got sick, has eased the knee issues quite a bit. I was getting pretty badly overweight, even though my job was very intense exercise. When I got sick, I dropped from a maximum seen on a scale was 238lbs, which dropped to 160 in only about 2 months. I'm at about 10th grade weight, these last two years. That eased things up on knees and ankles, but didn't make any difference on my back.

If I'd have had insurance at the time of the back injury, it would have been properly dealt with,

My life has been a never ending what if, coulda, shoulda woulda. Nothing but enough bad luck to make someone paranoid, peppered with key decisions made wrong.
Getting old sucks, especially if you've lived a hard life as a youngster. Hope you get better and improve your quality of life - it's no good going day by day in a lot of pain.

Bandit72

#4272 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:02 am

Ray Comfort (a Christian) is annoying me today. So is his film Audacity.

For some bizarre reason Muslims on Facebook have started posting a clip of this film casting doubts about Darwin's theory of Evolution stating that there is no evidence for a change of kind. Anyway, rather than going into it, I just wanted to say that it's annoying me today and it's only 10am.

Hype

#4273 Post by Hype » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:42 am

Ray Comfort (a Christian) is annoying me today. So is his film Audacity.

For some bizarre reason Muslims on Facebook have started posting a clip of this film casting doubts about Darwin's theory of Evolution stating that there is no evidence for a change of kind. Anyway, rather than going into it, I just wanted to say that it's annoying me today and it's only 10am.
Back in the early 2000s, this used to annoy me quite a bit. I encountered this exact phenomenon, before Facebook, in university events. Some members of the Muslim community at my university were, it seems, taking pride in being science students (even biology!) but holding events in which these anti-evolution propaganda films were screened. I spent a bunch of time talking to them about it, and the reactions I got led me to suspect that what is going on isn't about belief in the actual things being said, but rather, as Dan Dennett puts it, "belief in belief". Religious communities foster a tendency to want to appear, publicly, to be pious in ways that don't tend toward authenticity or depth of thought. This has always been the case, across all religions. I don't think much about it anymore, because it's too tiring. Instead, I just work on stuff, the implications of which are antithetical to those freaks.

Matz

#4274 Post by Matz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:39 pm

new Bond song blows

Pandemonium

#4275 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Matz wrote:new Bond song blows
Agree 100%. I hope it doesn't bode poorly for the movie, but there's been a lot of insider talk that Spectre has gone wildly over budget and the production has been a mess from day one.