#2 Post by erotic cheeses » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:44 pm

yeah whateva

creep
Site Admin

Re: Charlie brooker/ philomena cunk

#3 Post by creep » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:25 pm

i don't think anyone knew what you are talking about. :noclue:

i guess we could of googled it.

speaking of ricky i watched life on the road yesterday. it was pretty good.

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:53 am

I don't like Gervais, and I don't know what this thread is about, but I did watch that new David Brent movie, mostly out of curiosity. It alternated between annoying and depressing until I couldn't take it anymore. Why do people think The Office is comedy? It isn't. It needs a new category... Something like "Pathetic Drama".

Watching Gervais repeat Richard Dawkins repeating Bertrand Russell on The Late Show was the only thing more cringeworthy than his comedy.

SR

#5 Post by SR » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:04 am

I went to see Dawkins and Harris a few months ago. I think I'd rather hear anyone repeat Dawkins than hear Dawkins in the future. I know I'd feel more comfortable with anyone else's audience than Dawkins except trumps.

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:41 am

SR wrote:I went to see Dawkins and Harris a few months ago. I think I'd rather hear anyone repeat Dawkins than hear Dawkins in the future. I know I'd feel more comfortable with anyone else's audience than Dawkins except trumps.
I think the saddest part is that Dawkins' pop-science writing is some of the greatest ever written (The Ancestor's Tale is particularly awesome, and shows that The Selfish Gene wasn't just a one-hit wonder), and there is a sense in which I agree with the idea behind what he and the other New Atheists have been trying to do (i.e. fight religiously-motivated political enforcement of anti-science education, etc.), but they are almost to a person hamfisted and shitty. Even Dan Dennett ends up saying silly things that completely undermine his status as one of the greatest philosophers of the past 50 years. :neutral:

SR

#7 Post by SR » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 pm

I know he's bright. And I appreciate his contributions. Even his regurgitated russelisms don't bother me as that's commonplace in academia, music, art, etc.

Brief Candle in the Dark was unreadable. It was Dawkins doing Kanye. Endless self congratulatory stories of his accomplishments and more nauseating, who who invites him on large boats.

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:25 pm

SR wrote:I know he's bright. And I appreciate his contributions. Even his regurgitated russelisms don't bother me as that's commonplace in academia, music, art, etc.

Brief Candle in the Dark was unreadable. It was Dawkins doing Kanye. Endless self congratulatory stories of his accomplishments and more nauseating, who who invites him on large boats.
Yeah. I didn't actually like The God Delusion, even though that was when I first encountered Dawkins -- I went and read his other work instead, and by comparison TGD was terrible -- rehash and vacuity for the rebellious wiener kids of soccer moms. But at the time I remember thinking it was a necessary evil. Then I encountered Sam Harris and felt like I was watching logic take thorazine. :neutral:

I don't know this Charlie Brooker fellow, but I do know a bit about the BBC comedy circles he seems to be a part of -- I like David Mitchell, Ross Noble, and all those guys you see bounce from QI to Mock the Week to whatever other "quiz-style" shows BBC has concocted.

I just checked out this Philomena Cunk character. It's okay. It reminds me of a lot of stuff and doesn't seem that good... just okay... like... I might watch it if I was really bored.

erotic cheeses

#9 Post by erotic cheeses » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Hype wrote:
SR wrote:I know he's bright. And I appreciate his contributions. Even his regurgitated russelisms don't bother me as that's commonplace in academia, music, art, etc.

Yeah. I didn't actually like The God Delusion, even though that was when I first encountered Dawkins -- I went and read his other work instead, and by comparison TGD was terrible -- rehash and vacuity for the rebellious wiener kids of soccer moms. But at the time I remember thinking it was a necessary evil. Then I encountered Sam Harris and felt like I was watching logic take thorazine. :neutral:

I don't know this Charlie Brooker fellow, but I do know a bit about the BBC comedy circles he seems to be a part of -- I like David Mitchell, Ross Noble, and all those guys you see bounce from QI to Mock the Week to whatever other "quiz-style" shows BBC has concocted.

I just checked out this Philomena Cunk character. It's okay. It reminds me of a lot of stuff and doesn't seem that good... just okay... like... I might watch it if I was really bored.

I guess I got you guys wrong (thanks for embedding the video hype) maybe it's my British sense of humour? Charlie used to write for the guardian with an acerbic take on news and current issues. Cunk is just silly..

kv

#10 Post by kv » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Ya not for me either..And I also don't care for Ricky... :noclue:

Thanks for the effort though :wave:

Bandit72

#11 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 am

Hype wrote:I don't like Gervais, and I don't know what this thread is about, but I did watch that new David Brent movie, mostly out of curiosity. It alternated between annoying and depressing until I couldn't take it anymore. Why do people think The Office is comedy? It isn't. It needs a new category... Something like "Pathetic Drama".

Watching Gervais repeat Richard Dawkins repeating Bertrand Russell on The Late Show was the only thing more cringeworthy than his comedy.
I only watched the UK Office for the first time last year and to be fair I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's 'across the atlantic' comedy? I'm not a huge fan of Gervais as a comic but his portrayal of David Brent is superb. I've not seen the movie yet. It must be an English thing as from my point of view I think programs like Friends, Seinfeld, Fresh prince etc.. are all unwatchable and not funny in the slightest.

Hype

#12 Post by Hype » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:08 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Hype wrote:I don't like Gervais, and I don't know what this thread is about, but I did watch that new David Brent movie, mostly out of curiosity. It alternated between annoying and depressing until I couldn't take it anymore. Why do people think The Office is comedy? It isn't. It needs a new category... Something like "Pathetic Drama".

I only watched the UK Office for the first time last year and to be fair I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's 'across the atlantic' comedy? I'm not a huge fan of Gervais as a comic but his portrayal of David Brent is superb. I've not seen the movie yet. It must be an English thing as from my point of view I think programs like Friends, Seinfeld, Fresh prince etc.. are all unwatchable and not funny in the slightest.
A few hours after I posted this dismissive stuff, I realized Charlie Brooker is behind Black Mirror, which Netflix keeps trying to get me to watch.

I don't think it's a "British" v. North American thing for me. I grew up on Monty Python, Rowan Atkinson (not just Mr. Bean, but Thin Blue Line, etc.), and am a huge fan of Dylan Moran (Black Books), Billy Connolly and Dave Allen.

It's odd that you'd lump Seinfeld in with the other two you mentioned: for one thing, the other two were not vehicles for a standup comedian, they're just standard sitcom-by-numbers 90s shit. Seinfeld was groundbreaking not because Seinfeld was the most hilarious comedian but because no one had ever done a show like that before. It's true that The Office might have seemed like the same kind of thing: cinema verite as a new style, but actually Garry Shandling did it 10 years before The Office for The Larry Sanders Show. :wiggle:

SR

#13 Post by SR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:30 am

No (or yes) :bigrin: , it's very true that Seinfeld was an original, one of a kind, first time unfunny unwatchable show. :lol:

Hype

#14 Post by Hype » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:57 am

SR wrote:No (or yes) :bigrin: , it's very true that Seinfeld was an original, one of a kind, first time unfunny unwatchable show. :lol:
A lot of (especially WASP) people I know hate either Seinfeld or Larry David (or both). I guess you have to know a certain kind of Jew to find that kind of excruciating pain funny. :conf: Maybe it's just Stockholm syndrome.

SR

#15 Post by SR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 am

Any ghetto or neighborhood aside, it's a lot of high pitched whining about inconsequential things

Hype

#16 Post by Hype » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:09 am

SR wrote:Any ghetto or neighborhood aside, it's a lot of high pitched whining about inconsequential things
Yeah, they call that "kvetching". :lol:

Bandit72

#17 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:42 am

Hype wrote:I don't think it's a "British" v. North American thing for me. I grew up on Monty Python, Rowan Atkinson (not just Mr. Bean, but Thin Blue Line, etc.), and am a huge fan of Dylan Moran (Black Books), Billy Connolly and Dave Allen.
In my early teens I grew up on two 1950's comedy shows done by Tony Hancock and The Goon Show (both from my dad). They were, and still are in many respects, light years of anything else. This was largely due to Spike Milligan being a fucking insane genius, and Peter Sellars having the voice of a 1,000 characters. In fact Monty Python would credit the Goon Show as a huge influence in their surrealist comedy. I did love Rowan Atkinson in Black Adder and a lot of the 80's Comic Strip stuff. Black Books is excellent btw.

I'm going to get slaughtered for this but I can still listen to The Day the Laughter Died by Andrew Dice Clay and be howling. By far his greatest gig even though it's lewd and crass.

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Hype wrote:I don't think it's a "British" v. North American thing for me. I grew up on Monty Python, Rowan Atkinson (not just Mr. Bean, but Thin Blue Line, etc.), and am a huge fan of Dylan Moran (Black Books), Billy Connolly and Dave Allen.
In my early teens I grew up on two 1950's comedy shows done by Tony Hancock and The Goon Show (both from my dad). They were, and still are in many respects, light years of anything else. This was largely due to Spike Milligan being a fucking insane genius, and Peter Sellars having the voice of a 1,000 characters. In fact Monty Python would credit the Goon Show as a huge influence in their surrealist comedy. I did love Rowan Atkinson in Black Adder and a lot of the 80's Comic Strip stuff. Black Books is excellent btw.

I'm going to get slaughtered for this but I can still listen to The Day the Laughter Died by Andrew Dice Clay and be howling. By far his greatest gig even though it's lewd and crass.

SR

#19 Post by SR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:29 am

Ketchuping...

And Jerry Stiller....... :balls: :lol:

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:24 am

SR wrote:Ketchuping...

And Jerry Stiller....... :balls: :lol:
Clearly Jews named Jerry have a very specific form of comedy that cannot possibly be for everyone.

SR

#21 Post by SR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 am

:love: Thanks for that; I think I last saw that as a kid.

It had the exact opposite impact on me....charming funny on an emotional level. :thumb:

Bandit72

#22 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:37 am

Hype wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:

Dave Allen is great :thumb: